When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. Kyle23

Has anyone recently received their amended return refund? If so when was it received by the IRS

2. Kyle23

@Jalisa: My as of date is 8/26 also, but was previously 6/3. Since I’m a weekly and my transcripts never changed I’m sure the date will again get pushed back.

3. TheWaitisOver

Hi guys! I never reply but I always read everyone comments and Ive learned so much! I was audited too and I filed early then I kept getting 60 days notices, then in May I qualified for hardship and got a TA, she never answered my calls and the one time she actually called I missed her call but after sending W2 verifications and waiting forever I check WMR yesterday and I finally got a DDD 8-27-19. But mind you I got a TA in May and in August she sent a letter saying she sent a request to the IRS so after the request was sent IRS then approved my refund in no time. I would recommend a TA but it’s not expedite as they’re making it seem to be but the IRS responds to them. It’s such a relief to finally see bars on WMR again. I wish you all the best. Also I got a $196 interest.

4. Jalisa

My as of date changed 3 times since being stuck on 3/11/2019 from July 12 to August 5 to August 26

5. Kyle23

No change on my my transcripts for my amended. But since they told me to call and then said it was because they are so behind I wasn’t expecting anything.

• RN 9001, Weekly

Any changes on transcripts this morning?

7. 123

@Kyle23: I sent my amended return certified mail. It was received march 21st. It took about 3 weeks or so to show up. It seemed it would be finished within 16 weeks.

8. Kyle23

@123: I just realized that before my transcripts updated to amended return received, my as of date was June 3 rd also. So I guess June 3rd was just a date they basically gave everyone.

9. Kyle23

@123: This is ridiculous. My as of date is August 26th. The representative said she would put a note on my account to expedite it, but I guess they are just telling everyone that. So you are about a month and a half ahead of my return and have received nothing yet. She told me 3 – 4 weeks behind, not several months. I wish they would just tell you the truth on actually what the time period is going to be instead of just winging it as they go. Does your amended return show received on your transcripts? As I said mine took 3 and a half months to show up as received on my transcript. It said received 4/30, but it was now mid August

10. 123

@Kyle23: I am in the same boat. My amended return for 2018 was received by the IRS on March 21st. I was prompted to call the same number, ext 623, on July 11th, after the 16 weeks was up.. The lady told me everything looks good and it still has not been processed, please call back in 3-4 weeks. I called this week, and the gentleman told me it still has not been processed and he will put in a 30 day referral. it has been about 22 weeks so far with no answers. My transcripts still show as of Jun 3 2019.

11. Kyle23

@Misha: Yes. It showed up on the wmr tool as received April30th. It showed up on the tool though a month late. Then about a week ago it finally showed up on my transcripts received 4/30. I then got the message to call so I did today. She assured me nothing is wrong, but they are 3 – 4 weeks behind on amended returns due to the shut down. Now that I think about it it took 3 months to show received on my transcripts.

12. Misha

@Kyle23: So are you stating that the IRS received your amended return on April 30th and your still waiting on your refund and here we are in August. I submitted my amendment about two weeks ago and it sounds like I’m going to have to wait another 4-5 months for my [email protected]:

13. Kyle23

Just an update. My amended was received April 30th by the irs. It recently showed up as received on my transcripts. I got a message today to call the 800 number ext 623. I called and they said nothing was wrong. It was now being processed. They said I got the message because they wanted to let me know they are 3 – 4 weeks behind on amended refunds due to the shutdown. The woman was very nice and put me on hold to verify everything with the person actually handling it.

14. Deb

I’ve on 60 days wait twice, put a referral after the first 60 days, i called and they said i had to wait another 60 i called again they said no update i just need to wait, i called this morning and the agent told me she was putting a referral, told her i had one. she said that was cancelled because was submitted to soon!!!
    they are holding my refund because they cant verify my income.
    employer resubmitted everything a month ago

• RN 9001, Weekly

@mom of 2: A tax advocate is your best option at this point. Go to irs.gov and print out a 911 tax advocate request form, fax to the number provided and a local advocate should contact you within a few days.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@MrsSnider: It will need to cycle thru to update to a refund code so depending on how fast they get it entered and back into processing to cycle thru is your wait time. Fingers crossed it updates this weekend or the next. If your return is not an amended return that was submitted after the original return processed, you should see a direct deposit if that is what you requested.

17. mom of 2

Electronically filed January 29 2019, and here it is august 19, and I am still awaiting my federal refund. Have called IRS several times, noone can tell me why there’s a review on taxes. Have gotten several CP05 notices as well as other notices claiming they are reviewing tax return and need additional time. I need not do anything at this point but wait. 8 months is along time to be reviewing a tax return. Every time I call, i conveniently get another letter stating they need additional 60 days for review to be completed. Called tax advocate 3 times and was either hung up on or on hold so long, it timed out. Any suggestions?

18. MrsSnider

spoke to IRS rep last Wednesday, she saw that my information was reviewed and it was complete and I would not have to verify anything else. She said my refund would be issued within 3-5 weeks. Anyone else had this? When did you possibly receive your refund? Was it DD or check? Thanks

19. Tamara

Filed 17 and 18 got my state for both I called to see what was going on since wmr went to still processing date when available on my 21st day I learned 18 is fine and being held until 17 is processed in another 2 weeks I will call back or hope for a date

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephanie: Go to Irs.gov get transcripts, see if you can register an account online, that way you can see them in real time. If not, the only other way is if you have gotten a cp05, there is a number you call and you can make a pin and can hear the transcript read off over the phone. Other than that, ordering them is the only other way, but they will be behind about a week or two.

21. Stephanie

@Sheila_33:

How do you find the codes that tell you where your return stands?? Is there a number you can call to get that info?

I request a copy of our transcript and I didn’t see any codes at the time and idk where my husband put them to check again but I did see our return filed for 2018. A lot of people see these codes and are getting something and I can’t seem to find out to get them. I tried getting transcripts online but wouldn’t let me at all.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephanie: I remember those days with having a little one, enjoy those moments…they grow so fast. Let us know what you find out and good luck.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Ashley18: The fact that its showing on the transcript is a positive sign that things are moving. From what I’ve heard, yes, they do seem to be behind. Amended returns have to be manually processed so it takes a while longer to be finished.

24. Stephanie

@Sheila_33:

Thank you so much! I’ll send over a 911 tax advocate form first thing Monday. Hoping it’ll do something better than calling and waiting hours. I have a 7 month can’t be waiting and waiting on the phone.

Also the bank account we had the refund direct deposited to has been closed so I’m guessing we’ll get mailed a check then once it’s sent back to the IRS…

Ugh I just want my refund we’ve been waiting since March.

25. Ashley18

Just wondering. My amended refund was posted on the refund tool as received 4/30. About a week ago it finally showed on my transcripts as received 4/30 and forwarded to processing. I have called several times and they say nothing’s wrong and no letters have been sent out. They say they are just behind. Does this sound right or are they just telling me something from a script?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephanie: Also, I wouldn’t amend anything until you talk to an advocate, which honestly since its just the social I don’t think it would have to be amended.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephanie: You can call the local advocates office and see if you can get someone but if it was me, if that didn’t work, I believe I would fax in a 911 tax advocate request form. They have to respond to those within a certain amount of days, and they will have a local advocate assigned to you and might be able to give you some insight on what’s going on with that return when they call.

28. Stephanie

@Sheila_33:

Thanks! But unfortunately never got assigned TA every time I call to get someone I’m literally on hold for 2-3 hours, try calling again with transfer number and still am waiting 2-3 hours for someone to pick up literally.

Should I try calling a TA that’s local?

If paychex issued a new corrected w2 does that mean I have to amend it even tho they were just fixing my social to be accurate?

This has never happened to me so I’m really lost.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: i went thru the same thing last year, same exemptions, same everything. Its ridiculous. Hopefully your advocate will get it looked at and finished. Good luck.

30. Stephie

So here’s my story!

Filed 3/7

IRS accepted on 3/11

3/25 bars are gone

4/10 called IRS bc passed 21 days and they say we were selected for 45 day review and we should have our money by May.

May 8th get a letter from IRS dated for 5/1 stating we were under 60 day review which would put us at end of June.

7/2 called IRS 60 days are up they say they have no update. Found out they have no w2 to match my return with.

Found out that paychex my employers payroll company did a typo on my social on my w2. My tax lady of 15 years didn’t even catch it when we were filing. Contacted my employer to get this taken cared of so we can get our return. 5/17/18 I changed my last name to my new married name and that’s all that changed, nothing else.

Sent referral to the processing dept and would take additional 60 days for them to release the funds or send a letter saying what else is going on.

8/8 called TA hotline and find out that our return is in the examining department that are examine one item on my return not sure what see how I have claimed and filed the same thing for the last 11 years.

8/13 get a message from my employer that paychex finally issued a corrected w2 with the right social to SSA.

So now don’t know how the rest of the puzzle pieces together now and how much longer we have to wait. We’ve been wanting to move into a new house and get my husband another truck bc we only have one car right now and have 2 older kids and a 7 month old. Really need that money.

31. Tamara

Got my state before my Fed. Unusual for me nor is filing this late so I continue to wait I filed this yr and last yrs taxes I know 17 may be a while so it’s good to know there is unfortunately still waiting so I don’t wait alone though I missed the hustle and bustle of Feb taxes madness

32. Nicole

I haven’t been very active in here but I filed early Feb, received a notice late April that they were disallowing my HOH status and child tax credits despite me proving everything LAST tax season. Took my time sending in the documentation because my refund is so small so that got overnighted to them the first week in June. Received a notice early July that they needed 60 days to investigate, just got a surprise deposit from H&R block this afternoon. Finally over.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Cam: You’ve processed long enough you qualify for an advocate. Go to irs.gov get forms, print out a 911 tax advocate request form and fax to the number provided. You should get a callback from a local advocate within a few days. An advocate can at least give you some insight on why things are taking so long.

34. Marge

@AudithelpT: Yes. Also receipts for clothing, grocery, stuff like that. Anything documenting you had more than just you. Child clothing is definitely good I’m pretty sure. A letter from mom I would think would also be good.

35. Cam

I filed my taxes on February 12 and they were accepted on February 13 and I still have not gotten my return. All they tell me when I call is that they are being processes and they have 5 60 day periods to process my taxes. Is there anything I can do?

36. AudithelpT

The irs is requesting documentation for my child living with me in 2017. Medical records show late 2017. She had her one year old check up a few days before her birthday late 2017, 2018 (2 years old) we were late and she didn’t get it until 2019. We got a letter from the landlord saying she was a resident. Her mother lives in the same home but didn’t work more than half the year (student). Her mother’s mom (Gma) provides random child care, should we get a letter from her?

37. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I don’t think they deposit early. So I doubt it will come before the 14th but I wasn’t sure if it would take all the way till the 19th. Because they WMR says if not deposited by the 19th. We are in Disney currently. And the extra money would be so helpful!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mike005: how long have you had that 570? At this point, an advocate might be your best bet to get the return back into processing. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to the number provided on the form and an advocate should contact you in a few days.

@Kyle23: yes, unless it is expedited and manually pushed through

40. Mike005

I have a 570 code i filed on january 19th and haven’t gotten my refund. Anyone know what i should do. I owe no back taxes or anything

41. Kyle23

Just a quick question. I know I am a weekly and filed my amended return. So would my transcript updates be weekly also for an amended return?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: Unsure if Cap One deposits early or not but you might want to check in our forum for others that might have had that card.

43. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: mine is set to be sent to our account August 14th. If I have capital one how long would it take to go into the account.

44. Londa

I have ddd for august 14 and they paid me and extra 137$ interest. I have turbotax card it save recieve funds 2 days earlier. What day shpuld i expect it.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Lona: Congratulations to you!

@Lolo: 846 is the refund code

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Lolo: 820 is possibly an offset.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@StuckWaiting: Weeklies update on Fridays.

49. Kjr28

My injured spouse claim start processing april 16 after the original return was filed and offset was made…i went through two 30 day referrals and couple of weeks ago i recieved refund release or mail out date of august 2nd. Here it is a week and 1 day ofter the said it was mailed out on the 2nd of august still no return im just exhuasted with this process for this is my 4 yr in a row and i just need my money that i am old they have no problem taking the money from you they are quick about that but to get what u are owed back they could care less about your situation or hardships that you are enduring

50. StuckWaiting

@Sheila_33: well I will be praying for a update. Do you know when transcripts update? My ending cycle is 05

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mocha6: When the transcript says no return found, then the return hasn’t went into processing yet. Its possible you may see a change next transcript update, but if not, I would definitely call. Id verifies can take as little as 2 weeks and up to 9 weeks to be processed. An id verify stops the process until its manually started again, so it just may not have been cycled thru yet.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@StuckWaiting: Hmmm, not sure what’s going on. Since that 820 is showing for Mondays date, its possible you may see a change on your next transcript update. With the wording saying “credit transferred out” it makes me think its possibly an offset.

54. Mocha6

‘i efiled on 07/08/19 id verifity on 07/25/19 changed to we have received your tax return and it is being processed on 08/01/19 nothing has changed since. Transcript is saying no tax return found. Please help.’

55. StuckWaiting

@Sheila_33: hi thanks I just logged in and checked the account balance and nothing is showing there either. It says 0.00 for all previous years. So I don’t know what is going on maybe my tranny will update

56. RS

I Have Informed delivery, I can see my income tax refund! Thank You Jesus!! Good luck everyone! PS wmr still says… We have received your refund and it’s processing!

57. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@BrokeBeyondPissed: Your money was released 8/7, when did it actually hit your account.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stillwaiting: Federal debts don’t show on the offset line. Since you can see your transcripts online, go to irs.gov tax account and log in just like you do when you log in to see your transcripts. See if there is anything in there regarding any debt or changes made to your tax account.

59. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

Good Morning,
    After updating yesterday today my WMR finally shows some bars again!!. It says my funds will be sent the 8/14 and if not in my account by 8/19 to call my bank. I have capital one. Does anyone have experience with the situation with capital one? Do you think it will really take to the 19th?

60. StuckWaiting

@Sheila_33: Also i called the offset line and checked and nothing is owed. Beside the 820 it just says Credit Transfered Out To… But it doesn’t say where it was transferred to.. And it has a processing date of 8-12-19 do you think its gonna change after the 12th maybe?

61. StuckWaiting

@Sheila_33: hey thanks for responding no i don’t owe any debt to the irs. I have 3 codes on my transcript 150 , 806 , & 820

• RN 9001, Weekly

@StuckWaiting: an 820 can sometimes refer to an offset. Do you owe an Irs past debt?

@Victoria Rome: Congratulations!!!!