When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle: anytime things start changing on that transcript, it’s a good sign things are processing since at this point it’s manually updated. Fingers crossed, you see something soon.

2. Kyle23

My amended was received on April 30th according to the wmr site. I have called several times since then. I decided to call again yesterday. The gentleman told me I needed to do a phone I’d verification over the phone which I did. Today my transcripts updated with codes 970 and 971 which said amended received and amended being processed. The as of date moved from 6/3 to 8/26. I am a weekly so I’m not sure if it updated since I verified or was a coincidence. Just wondering if this might be a good sign

3. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@RS: I only received the date on the transcript so far. I believe WMR updates on Saturdays after you get the 846 code.

4. StuckWaiting

Hey guys can someone tell me what the code 820 transfered out means on my transcript? Also it says processing date 8-12-2019. I did I.D. verify back on 7-22-2019 just hoping the 820 code is a good sign

5. Tamara

First time on this platform usually on igmr fb but no one is there and I am late to the taxes party do to rehabbing my student loans so u could get my refund I filed 17 by mail and 18 I efiled 7/26 it was accepted called today to see if they even received 17 can’t get any info til the 20th ya know the 21st day I can call back about 18 on the 16th so now I am wondering will 17 hold up 18 it’s said it wouldn’t so I wait I thought you could check wmr for 17 but nope unlike NY state status check you can pick year so I have to call for info regarding 17 can’t get any transcripts stuck with trying to register getting student loan account number is laughable to identify for it’s so just waiting anyway HELLO Tfor those still waiting I am with ya though I have just began

6. Marge
      Missouri
      Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, W2
    • RN 9001, TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 5071C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Got my 420. Boo. I’ll be back if anything extravagant happens.

7. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

After 6 months of waiting I finally received a refund date of 8-14 and $109 interest. I am so excited and I hope everyone gets some good news today also!

8. Lu

Week 18 since filing on time- week 5 since the IRS assigned my case to an advocacy. Week 3 since I received a letter from the advocate and faxed requested to him – 6 messages left on advocate’s phone number – in 8 business days ( his messages says he will return the call in 3 business days), one week since I spoke to a national IRS tax advocate ( who reiterated it is assigned to a local tax advocate)and still”processing,” no notice from the IRS, nothing from the tax advocate and of course no refund- this is crazy!!!!

RS: Congratulations!!!

10. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Nick: I applied January 31st with the same credits and received 3 60 day notices. Dealing with a TA for over a month and still haven’t updated. Unfortunately there is no rhythm or reason to they way they do things and they do it the old fashioned way with paper and as someone in the technology field that irks my nerves but it is what it is

11. Nick

Wow! I was accepted Jan 28th (CTC) (EITC) shortly after I got the 45 AND 60 days review. I called IRS in May and they gave me 0 answers and we’re no help. Told me “if letters say no action needed” then just wait it out.

I was going to file an amended return I was JUST about to fax in my tax advocate 911 forms when I checked my transcripts online and BAM! It FINALLY updated with a refund code! I immediately checked WMR and it was also updated with a refund date of 8/7/2019. If you have the same credits and got those same letters just wait, your time will come. I waited 8 months smh. Filing an amended return will likely mess it up and have you waiting way longer

And also….CALLING THE IRS multiple times is a waste of time. They most likely have no answers for you and will tell you random stuff. Get a tax advocate or wait

12. Marge
      Missouri
      Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, W2

@Sheila_33: Thanks dear. I haven’t called in about 6 weeks, you know how it is.

Everyone else- unfortunately, no, it’s not good at all. It’s the system sending it down to actual eyeballs requesting an audit. If they decide to audit it, you’ll see a 420 this coming Friday. This late in the game, it’s a full blown, get your shit, and get ready to back up your taxes if you want your money. If you want a TA, put in a request now.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Dazedandconfusedsherry: For some reason that seems to be the pattern this year. It may be because you’ve been processing awhile and there is something the computer thinks needs to be manually looked at. With the date pushing forward, they may be trying to resolve whatever is holding it by that date. If the transcript has a 971 letter sent code it may be a request for verification of something. If not, it may just be an internal exam that needs to be reviewed and put back into processing. If you don’t have an advocate, you might consider getting one.

14. Dazedandconfusedsherry

Why would my return go from a 424 to a 420 and the as of date change from July 29, August12, to August 16th? Does any know?

15. Lillisag

Fist I got that identity 5701c then I got that CP24 then I got CP05 now I have turbo tax wanting their payment.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: Oh, and don’t discouraged about the as of date not changing yet. Everything is being manually inputted so its just a matter of how quick the Irs gets it moving. Its very possible that date may not change again until you update to a refund code.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: Unfortunately, its just a waiting game at this point. I’ve got my hopes that it gets cycled thru this week and updates this next week, fingers crossed.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Marge: I’m so sorry to hear that. I wondered how you were doing.

@BrokeBeyondPissed: Congratulations!

20. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I know. The transcripts just indicate as past as of date of July 22nd so no one has touched it. I’m not sure if they are just waiting or trying to get it pulled. It’s just a frustrating situation that even after requesting help, we haven’t gotten any answers other than what we already knew.

21. Marge
      Missouri
      Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, W2

Morning everyone. After 7 long months, I got a 424. Undoubtedly I’ll be seeing that 420 next week, I’ll keep ya updated.

22. BrokeBeyondPissed

GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING. Can I have everyone’s attention please. I finally got my 846 for 8-7-19. YAYY!!!!!YAYY!!!!YAYY!!!!. Time to book our first Disney cruise.

23. Lu

The wait continues and the crusts is mounting-Entering week 16 since I filed now, a week since I faxed requested documents to advocate and a week since I called and left a voicemail (the advocate’s message said he would get back to me in 3 business days-this is day 6) and still no refund, letters or returned call. I called the national advocate line who said they cannot do anything and said my case is assigned to a local advocate. The national advocate also said that I am not considered a hardship case because Being behind in mortgage does not constitute hardship only foreclosure does!!!
    Isn’t it my right as a tax payer to know why my refund is taking so long to process? The local advocate has not returned my call, the national advocate said he didn’t know why the hold up – nothing he can see indicates the reason, my case has been assigned to a local advocate and no notifications from the IRS!!!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

Any updates on transcripts this morning for anyone?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: Sounds like they’re just waiting to see if they accepted the information and put you back into processing. All an advocate can do is request and hope things are getting resolved. Their major task is to get the return looked at instead of it sitting in a pile waiting for its turn to be processed.

26. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

Heard from the supervisor today and all he could say was they sent in my information and they are still waiting for information in return. What is that even supposed to mean?

27. Mark Holmes

I am so glad to see I’m not the only one dealing with this crap. My story …I filed in February on Turbo Tax with expected refund March 15th , just before that date I received a letter to verify my ID, was told it could be an additional 30 days, at the 29 day mark I received another letter informing me my refund was under review and it could be another 60 days before my refund arrives. On day 61 still no refund , so I called and the guy on the phone said he has no idea why they are holding my refund and he would send an inquiry on my behalf but it would be 60 more days, This was 32 days ago, Today I received another letter saying they needed more time with my account and it would be ANOTHER 60 DAYS… …WTF? I filed an EZ form with no deductions , a kindergartner could figure my taxes in a matter of minutes, I dont owe back taxes, I don’t owe child support. I really don’t think I’ll get my tax refund this year, October would be the earliest , well until the geniuses at the IRS send me another letter. Sorry just needed to vent.

28. Child Support & Irs Sucks at this point

@Sheila_33: The local tax place is where he had to take the documents to.

29. Child support & IRS sucks at this point

@Sheila_33: Thank you!

Yes, I allowed him to claim my son. Yes, he went into our local tax office and verified his identity along with the requested documents for his self employment. However, I did just speak with another rep and she stated that because there was no income reported for him during the prior year that they want to make sure it’s not fraud or and that it would not be sent back to the Irs. She asked me was he self employed and I told her yes. She stated oh that’s y. She said she check back in a few days after their investigation is done and the hold should be lifted.

Well at least I have a better understandable now.

In other situations I know people who file self employed and the other parent usually gets the money on time so I was totally confused.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Child Support & Irs Sucks at this Point: Strange situation and I personally worked for Child Support Enforcement for a number of years, and once we received an offset amount from the Irs, then we issued a separate check for the amount to the parent that was supposed to receive the amount. Did he claim the children on his taxes and received earned income tax credit? To whom is he supposed to take these documents to to be verified? Something definitely doesn’t sound right.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RS: You might possibly see something soon. Once they close the case and it goes back into processing, its got to cycle thru and if you’re a weekly which most on here are at this time of year, then its only updating once a week. Tomorrow is a transcript update, so fingers crossed that you see an update on Saturday morning. Really depends how fast they got you manually updated to the system. In regards to the expedited hardship, if the return has went back into processing, then its already on its way to an update. An expedited hardship can be manually updated and a check or a direct deposit can happen within 3 days after its been approved by the irs.

32. Irritatedmom93

@Jalisa: yes there is a good possibility you will update this week if not next week. WMR updates overnight Friday. So check Saturday this week and see if it updates.. if it does not then try again next week but most update on Saturday morning every week.

33. Child Support & Irs Sucks at this point

Hi, this question is for anyone who have the best possible answer for my situation.

So my kids father filed his taxes and was offset by child support. Child support received and applied to account and I was told check was mailed out July 25th.

Never received so child support customer service told me the funds are on hold due to possible fraud.

I spoke to another rep and was told Irs has placed on hold to make sure amount is due to tax payer.

Has anyone seen this happen before or is this just what they are telling me.

I told him what’s going on so that maybe he could call in to the irs and see for himself.

He stated he had to take all his legal documents down to verify his identity and income so he’s puzzled as well as to why this is happening.

Any suggestions???

34. RS

@Sheila_33: not so, I Asked advocate for expedited refund due to shut off and cancellation notices, she said can’t do anything, went into processing this week

35. RS

So I called tax advocate on Monday, she said case closed 7/19, led me to believe I would get refund soon, called IRS on Tuesday, she said there is a hold,call tax advocate, which I just did, she said it went into processing check my wmr, within a day or two , she said they tell Everyone 4-6 weeks!! More? Till I get refund? So Beyond this, how soon dOES IT TAKE? ONCE IT GOES TO PROCESSIN?

36. Jalisa

My as of date on my transcripts is now August 5 2019 after being stuck on March 11 2019 do i wait to see what happens next

37. E-Filings

Tax refunds is not so complicated as it seems to be. I have personally used My Refund tool mentioned in the blog. The most important thing came to the mind when talk about tax returns is “EIN”. It is important and mandatory for tax filings.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: if nothing happens this week and I was in your position, I would fax in a 911 tax advocate request form. It might be easier than waiting on an intake line.

39. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I hope so too because when we have tried to get someone higher up from the hotline previously they tell us they can’t see anything and send to intake line which can be hours of waiting.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Boston7377: If your amended processed as the original return, meaning if you amended while the original return was processing, they will direct deposit it most of the time. Usually, amendeds that are filed after the original return has been processed receive a check.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: I know, that would bother me too, but I’m hoping since there has been no callback yet that maybe it is close to being resolved. The reason I say give it a few days is to see if anything changes this Friday on your transcript. If not, and you haven’t received any communication from them, I would definitely be calling the national call line and asking to speak with someone that could give me some answers.

42. Boston7377

I got my amended refund direct deposit last week; it was dd my H&R Block, but I thought once you amend you can only get your refund in the mail? Is this a trick? Should I trust it?

43. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: Zero communication is what worries me. Just even an explanation of what is going on would help me is all. We are only worried because we haven’t been told anything at all.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: if you don’t hear something in the next few days I believe I would call the national advocate line and see if you can speak to someone higher up. Its possible the advocate is working on it and waiting to call with more information.

45. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: the new advocate was supposed to call today and didn’t. We left yet another message for the supervisor. What else can we do

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RS: Checks are usually sent out on Fridays. If the case was closed the 19th, and updated soon enough its possible it could go out this Friday and you could see it within a few days. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t kick out last Friday since the rep is seeing additional interest and that is applied when the refund is issued.

47. RS

Yay found out my case was closed July 19.. getting all of refund back.. plus a little more.. not sure when I get check.. agent thought maybe end of next week?

48. stillwaiting32

Has anyone got deposits early? My date is 7/31 but I was hoping it would come today.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Chris3781: Go to Irs.gov and get a 911 tax advocate request form and fax it to the number provided. Something is holding that return and an advocate can get you some answers.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@WaitingForever!: If you’ve got an advocate, don’t stress too much about it. Its possible since you’ve been in review for so long, that the next step for the computer was to request an exam. I have seen others earlier this year go to that code and then update to a 420. But, they also had advocates that got things resolved.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Lu: If you are behind on bills, especially a mortgage, you can request an expedited hardship case. Call the national advocate hotline, and see if you can access a supervisor. It should not take 3 months to be processed after you are assigned an advocate. If you can’t reach the advocate by phone, then fax a 911 advocate request form to the number provided on the form. Not sure what is going on, but an advocate should be calling you besides sending a letter unless they were unable to reach you. It sounds like it may be a review of the head of household status you filed. Call the hotline and don’t give up until you get an answer from someone.

52. Essence

Finally i have a date for 7/31/2019… I id verified on 7/19/19 It took 2 weeks afyer my appointment

53. Genn

@Essence: from my personal experiences your refund should be available within 2-3 weeks if all is perfect and no hiccups.

54. WaitingForever!

@Chris3781: i filed feb 5 had to id verify, 45 day review then 60 and now have a 424 code…. I have a tax advocate but idk what is happening either. This is crazy

55. Chris3781

Filed feb. 4 th. 2 60 day review letters. Now almost August and still nothing updated. What is going on?

56. WaitingForever!

I now have a 424 code on transcript. Please tell me this is because advocate sent them an expedite request. Anyone have any ideas about this?

57. Kyle23

@Examination 2.0: No codes at all. When I called the advocate line they said it hasn’t been 16 weeks as required for processing. Again 4 people told me nothing’s wrong it’s being processed, but I’m sure they just tell a lot of people that.

58. Lu

I filed a paper application on April 15th-same as past 15 years -head of household – 2 dependents no EIC.
    This is week 15 and it still says “refund processing.” I do not receive any notices from IRS- Called IRS week 12 they said error that was able to be corrected w/o my imput. Week 13 they didn’t know why the hold up – week 15 assign a tax advocate. Advocate sends me letter requesting me to fax mortgage and utilities statement- called #listed in letter received message say high volume they will get back to me in 3 business days- faxes the documents cost: $17.50. Letter also states that the advocate expects to resolve my issue (I don’t know what the issue is) by October 19, 2019!!!- 3 months from now!!!! Are they kidding me? Not working and need the money- behind in mortgage, etc!!! Advice anyone?

59. Kyle23

@Examination 2.0: Thanks so much. So mine was received 3 weeks after yours. They keep telling me nothings wrong, but I hope that’s true. Thanks again

60. Examination 2.0

@Kyle23: my amended was received April 9. I didn’t know about examination until early May when irs amended hotline rep told me that’s when I got a ta

61. Kyle23

@Examination 2.0: just wondering when in April did you send in your amended. Also how did you know you were in examination? My amended was received April30th but still nothing. I’ve called several times and they say nothing’s wrong it’s just being processed

62. KellyinMD

Heres my story
    Filed in January. Field IS form with my taxes. My husbands job didn’t report his income. So we had to send in paystubs, w2 and letter from the employer. My taxes were finally done 1st week in June and I had a DDD. Well they overlooked my IS form. Sent my refund to my husbnds debt. I had to wait a couple days they got y portion back. Then told me it would take up to 4 weeks to process. They told me they mailed out a check on July 12th…. and guess what…… STILL DONT HAVE IT! In what world does it take 2 weeks to mail something?! So over this year

• RN 9001, Weekly

@BrokeBeyondPissed: Depending on how quick they get it updated to cycle thru it could be within a week to 2 weeks

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stillwaiting32: As long as you have an 846 with a deposit date, you’re good to go, congratulations!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@PlainJane: Congratulations!!! Whew, long year for you.

66. BrokeBeyondPissed

UPDATE: I just called the tax advocate hotline and was told they adjusted my amended return on 7/23/19. Do anybody know how much longer after that will I finally receive my 846?

67. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

Well no luck for me. My as of date is still stuck on July 22nd as well. TA is set to call on Monday. We will see if that happens. Good Luck and Congrats to anyone who updated.

68. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Stillwaiting32: ignore the 570 code. It doesn’t go away. It is just corrected to another. Congrats everyone! I’m still waiting for my husband to have enough time to send me the transcript verification code so I have to wait lol!

69. Stillwaiting32

I got my 846 code today with 7/31 date. Yaaaaay! But there is still a 570 on there with date of 8/5. Do I ignore that? Is my refund finally coming?

70. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft

Finally!!! With $84 interest DDD 7/31!!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Examination 2.0: Congratulations to you!!!!

72. Examination 2.0

Omg!!! I finally have 846 with ddd of 7/31!!! Ive been stuck in examination after I sent my amended return in April! Got a tax advocate in May! Never talked to her she sent me letters I did some footwork of my own calling examination. Monday a tax advocate manager called and told me my examination was closed on 7/18. Just checked my transcripts and I have all the codes plus 846 I also earned $20 in interest. Lol I’m so happy!!!!

73. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I’m hoping so too. Technically I’m not in what they consider a hardship so my stuff isn’t being expedited but I really hope he gets me an DDD soon

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Dee: Its possible but unfortunately some of these id verifies have been going into review. If you don’t see an update by this weekend you might consider getting an advocate to see if there are any issues.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RS: Honestly not sure about an email but I would keep my phone nearby. It takes around 3 to 5 days for a local advocate to contact you.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: Fingers crossed you see something tomorrow. With the ta scheduled to call you Monday I’m hoping that means things are processing and if you don’t see a change tomorrow, she’ll be able to give you positive news for possibly next update.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RS: If you have proof of hardship, the advocate can expedite the process. If you can reach your advocate, let them know what’s going on and if not, call the national hotline and ask for a supervisor and explain the shut off notices. You can get get an expedited hardship refund within a week but you’ve got to let them know.

78. Dee

My 9 weeks would be up tomorrow after I had to id verify should I receive a refund date tomorrow

79. RS

Got transcripts today, told me what I already knew. My refund was intercepted for wife’s bill with social security, Had nothing on it about the form 8739 , Or the letter 2645C.. 65 days.. Still waiting, tax advocate says they are through state only not IRS? Beyond frustrated, getting shut off notices now on bills, sure would come in handy, the 60 day letter said I needed to do nothing more? Just wait?

80. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: Sheila I got a very rude hotline tax advocate yesterday but she did tell me that our TA is waiting on information. What could that mean? We sent in wage verification over two weeks ago. The TA is set to call us Monday. I’m praying for an update tomorrow but unfortunately not hopeful since all the let downs. Our last 60 days was also up on the 16th. I’m just super anxious at this point and want answers

81. Victoria Rome
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: Sheila I dealt a very rude tax advocate hotline lady yesterday but she did inform me that my new tax advocate is waiting for information. I’m not sure what that could mean but it’s been over 2 weeks since we sent in our income verification and it seems like nothing is happening. My final 60 day review was also up last week. I praying for an update tomorrow but with the way things are going I’m not sure hopeful.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Essence: At the first of the year, it was moving pretty fast, some saw a refund within 2 weeks, seems to be taking as long as 9 weeks for some now.

83. joedog

need prayers for all thoughts waiting for refund that really needs it. My injuried spouse was received o 4/15 I have ta maybe it will be soon

84. Essence

@Relle: U should make a appointment and go in… There not gonna do anything until you verify… I just verified July 19.. It was a 10 minute appointment

85. Essence

Gm I had idenity theft and I went to my appointment to show id… The agent said it will take 9 weeks is this true?? Did anyone get theres before 9 weeks