When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. Yellowrose

Okay, update for everyone. I was told by the advocate that everything was completed. I should receive what is left of the refund via direct deposit on the 18th this month. I haven’t received it yet. I haven’t received a letter from the department of education, stating my refund will be intercepted as of yet or any type of letter for my student loans. When I called the offset line, it says my refund COULD be intercepted for it. But once again I haven’t received anything on paper stating it would be and for how much. The amended refund line and website States I’m still being processed and I just don’t understand why the advocate said I was done and will receive what’s left from what was owed to the IRS on the 18th but I haven’t. He stated he was closing the case because it was completed.

2. WheresMyMoney

Filed march 11th. 30 days later Had to verify identity. Then 30 days later had to verify income, where i lived, that my kids are my dependents. 60 days later had to resend info on my oldest daughter and verify income again. Called yesterday 9/16 was told review is finished and now i am being audited. Just dont understand the IRS process. Frustrated.

3. Liz

I filed in January 2019 and was accepted February 25. I am still being processed. I have I received two letter. Last letter in June said 60 days, it will be 90 days soon. Beside the Month of March, April, May. I pray I hear something soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Belle36: There have been a few people that had to id verify again after id verifying online or on the phone. Not sure if its a glitch or if you possibly answered a question wrong.

5. Belle36

They first said they needed to verify, 3 months later they said I did something wrong. Has anyone ever had that happen?

6. Yellowrose

After not getting anywhere with the first advocate. I was able to get another one. He is awesome at what he does. He stayed in contact with me every step of the way. He would leave me detailed msg on the voicemail and made it a point to contact me on a Saturday. Because he knew I work Monday through Friday and it was hard to get to speak with him. I just received a msg, stating I will have my refund direct deposited the 18th next week and probably the night before. I did have an offset for tax owed to the IRS, so it has been paid in full. It has been such a long process. I thank everyone for any advice and encouragement. I hope everyone who is still waiting, for a amended return or any form of one receive it soon.

7. Jalisa

Do anybody know why the transcript hotline is different then the paper transcript the transcript hotline say as of August 8 but my paper transcript says as of August 26

• RN 9001, Weekly

For those still waiting, consider talking to an advocate. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to the number provided on the form and an advocate will contact you within a few days. They can at least tell you what the hold up is and give you some insight on what you can do. These reviews are being manually done which causes processing to stop until they are completed and entered back into the system.

9. Leah

@Puck: same here. I called them and they said it will take another review. Is it still possible to get my refund? I’m losing hope.

10. Puck

My tax return is still saying we have received your tax return and it is being processed today September 10th 2019 nothing has changed since January

11. Puck

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Rene: Congrats to you!

13. Rene

The website has updated overnight. Finally, a DDD of Sept. 17th. My 8th month wait is over! Good luck to everyone else.

14. jenny462

@momoh32019: I’m almost the same. said adjusted as of August 23. letter will arrive within 3 weeks regarding adjustments. nothing yet? anyone know what’s going on?

15. Kyle23

@Sheila_33: Thanks. I just thought the Where’s my Amended Refund sight updating before the transcripts was weird. I’ll keep checking though,

16. momoh32019

just came back to this site after I received my original tax return in March. I file an amendment this year, my ex husband didn’t claim our one son, so I did. it was received july2, and said adjusted August 23. website still says adjusted as of this morning. I still haven’t received anything as far as a letter or check. can’t view my transcripts. just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: Its possible its going to have to cycle thru and update on the next cycle. Hopefully you will see something this week.

18. Kygirl

@Rene: I finally updated this morning to a ddd of sept.11 it’s been a very long road and I’m so glad it’s coming to an end. I hope you have the same luck!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: Transcript normally has to code to notify the treasury to release the refund. Its possible it could have been manually coded and hasn’t reflected on the transcript yet. No changes on the transcript at all yesterday?

20. Kyle23

My transcripts still say additional taxes assessed. I failed an amended return and are expecting a refund. I checked the wmr tool and it switched today to the second bar which is adjusted. Is this a good thing or do I have to wait for the transcripts to update also?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: It should direct deposit since it’s the original return. If you can’t see your transcripts online, see if you update tomorrow with a refund date on the wmr. If not, I would consider calling Monday and see if they can give you an idea what’s going on. No worries. You weren’t rude. Good luck and let us know.

22. Still waiting

@ Sheila yes it’s the original return filed back in February got letter saying do nothing then in July got that letter saying you’re owed a refund so it will be direct deposited to my account? And not a mailed check? It’s been 6 weeks also should I call or give more time I know I’m a weekly thanks and good morning by the way forgive me for being rude

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: Are you able to see your transcripts? If that refund amount changed, then its quite possible that processing is almost complete. Today is a transcript update day so fingers crossed you see something soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: If it is being processed as the original return, then it should be direct deposited, meaning if the return was adjusted while processing, it will be treated as the original return. Normally, amended returns if filed after the original return has been processed will kick out a check.

25. Still waiting

@ Shelia I got a letter about 6 weeks ago saying I’m due a refund if I haven’t received by then wait 4-6 weeks it’s been six my refund amount changed from the first amount my question when should I expect it and is it a check or direct deposit like I initially request

26. Rene

@Kygirl: We have very similar information except I filed on the 21st of January. On the 3rd of this month, they told me they put in a referral for my funds to be released. So, hopefully I’ll find out something soon and you can get some relief.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: An audit can take awhile because they go in order of received, but an advocate can push your information to the top of the stack to be manually reviewed faster. When you are contacted by the advocate, make sure you make them aware of your dire situation. Its possible they will do an expedited hardship case and hopefully get it moving faster.

28. Stephie

So got send an audit packet basing off my husbands 1040 form because they didn’t have a record of my w2 due to paychex putting in the wrong social.

Paychex did finally send in a corrected w2 with the correct social. I also faxed over to the examination department the last three paystubs at the end of 2018 as well as my state assistance food stamps paperwork letters for three months showing my kids live with me. I also sent over a copy of my w2 with the wrong social on it along with the w2 with the corrected social as well.

Now I wonder how long it will take for all that. Been waiting since March. I also faxed over a 911 form to TA bc really behind on our car payment and barely made rent. We’re hurting really bad.

29. Tamara

Got date for 2017 taxes 9/9 they will be mailed out filed end of July got 17 and 18 back without issues blessing to those still waiting

• RN 9001, Weekly

@MrsSnider: If the case was closed, its got to cycle thru after the information is updated. Fingers crossed you see something sometime this week.

31. MrsSnider

@Sheila_33: it was an amended return as I entered incorrectly which gave me a bigger return. I have had to submit, resubmit get my congressman on board and TA.
    The first rep said it was looking good first of August called back and that rep said it closed complete 8/21 and I should have refund as I requested originally as I haven’t received any. I requested DD, he said that was good because it actually posts a week early. He didn’t have a dd date but he felt certain it would be this week or next. Anyone else had this?