When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. angiesview101
      California
      Citibank
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

Well it’s almost that time of year again and it’s going to be in full effect.

2. Read Homepage

Thank you for all your work on this site. Gloria enjoys carrying out investigation and it’s really easy to understand why. All of us hear all about the lively mode you convey vital things through this website and cause response from others about this point then our own child is without a doubt learning a lot. Enjoy the remaining portion of the new year. You’re the one carrying out a powerful job.

3. neech

Last year, I filed tax returns at the end of January. I didn’t get my refund until the end of may. I noticed that so many people were delayed in getting their tax returns last year. This coming year I won’t fill so early. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not. When is the best time to file tax returns? I had to verify my identity. I had a 60 day review twice, and had to get a TA as well to get anything done and that still took time. So I am trying situate myself better for the coming year. Any suggestions?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Genn: I’m hoping she might be able to bypass a verification since she has an advocate that has been monitoring the situation and has been helping her.

5. Genn

@Neech: I would wait until after the child tax credit and Additional child tax credit deadline which is usually the end of February

6. Genn

@Stephie: Before they would issue a check out within 10 days now they’re probably going to send you some paperwork asking you to verify your identity which takes approximately six weeks but usually you will receive the refund after the ID verification within two weeks

7. Stephie

@sheila_33

Thank you so much! You have helped given me hope that it comes very soon. I really do hope it’s already been mailed or will be issued this Friday! My family is dyer need of that money. Thank you again. I’ll keep you updated.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: Its possible the transcript may update to a 840 which I believe is a manual refund of a check issued since the direct deposit didn’t go thru. And I’m not sure if the advocate can go any deeper into the return than just to view the transcript after the refund has been approved. I know in the past it has taken 2 to 3 weeks to get a refund check after a refund could not be direct deposited so that’s why I’m hoping that since you’re in that time frame you’ll see something soon. Normally, checks posts on Friday, and they are mailed first class. At this point, its just an awful waiting game.

9. Stephie

@sheila_33

Well wouldn’t the TA see the money returned back to the IRS? She said she’d monitor it. When I talked to her last Friday she said there was no change. She said the money went to the offset then to go to the bank but the bank rejected it and sent it back.

So would the TA know if the irs got it back or not and if they went ahead and issued the check??

Our car insurance just got cancelled bc we couldn’t pay it and about to get another repo status if our car payment isn’t made. Plus got my daughters bday this weekend. This is such a mess. You have been a great help too.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: Normally what happens is if the refund cannot be made to the bank account, then they will issue a check approximately 10 days after the deposit can’t be deposited, which would put you on the time frame that maybe, just maybe, they posted that check last Friday. Fingers crossed, that you see something this week, since its been way past the sufficient amount of time. Hang in there, hun, I know its been an awful journey. If they posted that check on Friday, I’m hoping you see something by this Thursday. I’ll be watching for you, update us if anything changes.

11. Stephie

@sheila_33

So the offset took place and the DDD was the 17th of Oct but due to the offset it went from a paper check that they issued back to DD. So the remaining of our refund was DD to a bank account that’s closed. My TA has been monitoring for the funds to be returned but they haven’t at all yet and it’s been two weeks. I talked with my TA on the 1st and she said there’s been no change. I called our bank where our account was and they said if the bank account was closed then it’s been sent back within 48 hours. I’m really confused and we are hitting rock bottom really hard.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@really: I would suggest getting an tax advocate, go to Irs.gov and print out a 911 tax advocate request form, fill it out and fax to the number provided. An advocate, which is free service offered, will contact you within a few days. They can advise you on what to do, and if you do have to submit a refile of your amended, they can guide you thru it. Good luck and keep us updated.

13. really

@Sheila_33: it was the rep at the irs I talked to. she said she saw no reason or note of a letter being sent in my file either. so I got no letters, ever, there’s no explanation as to why they didn’t accept it, no one seems to know anything, and my only option is refile the amendment and do the 16 weeks again.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@really: Who told you to refile the amended again, the tax advocate? It sounds like they either didn’t accept the additional exemption or needed more information, and then closed the case after no response. You should have gotten some sort of paperwork, either way, I would of thought, especially if it was closed on the 2nd of September.

15. really

here’s my story. filed an amended refund because I needed to claim an additional dependant. I’ve been watching the it’s website and it said reciever july2, adjusted August 23 and completed September 13. I’ve never received a thing in the mail, no letter, nothing. so I finally got thru on the phone today and I hear, it was closes on September 2 with a 0 balance. which means no refund. if they needed any info at any time why wouldn’t they send me a letter. I never received a thing in the mail to this day. she says probably my only option is to refile the amended return. and go thru this again??

16. AndrewDTX

Still waiting even after I sent all the documentation. IRS stated they received the proof they needed and to wait for a letter or deposit, if nothing has been received by 10/31, to call back the following day..

When will this nightmare end..

17. Athy

Has anyone else got a DDD for October 23rd? I amended and then got audit and now I’m getting DDD on the 23rd

18. Amcre

My ex filed his tax return April 15 and received his offset letter sept 13. When do you think I will receive payment ?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephanie: No, there won’t be a delay. Hopefully, the advocate got it taken care of. You can still file the injured spouse but don’t do it until after you get your refund.

20. Stephanie

@sheila_33

It says on the offset line that payment for the child support will be made tomorrow 10/17 and we are getting direct deposit tomorrow 10/17. I called my advocate several times she was suppose to put request for a check to be issued instead of direct deposit.

So does that mean there is no delay on getting our refund if we aren’t doing the injured spouse form??

I’m gonna keep trying to get ahold of our advocate. We are stressed for time.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Coo beans: Congrats! Audits are usually direct deposits if that is what is requested. Injured spouse and amended returns filed after the original returns are processed are checks.

22. Coo beans

So I just got finished w a audit and my wmr updated w a date money is being sent to bank is that meaning I’m getting a direct deposit? I thought if you was audited they sent paper checks

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: When you say the payment is being made, do you mean its showing a direct deposit of the 17th? Call your advocate and see if she can tell you if a check is being sent. Checks are usually posted on Fridays and take about 3 to 5 days to get to you. If the advocate hasn’t taken care of it and it hasn’t been adjusted to a check, then it would take around 12 to 14 days after that direct deposit date for them to issue you a check which is going to put it close for you. I would consider calling and letting the advocate know the situation. Good luck and update us.

24. Stephie

@sheila_33

So my husband and I decided not to do the injured spouse form bc we’d use our federal return to pay it anyways so we are just going to let them take it out.

Now it states that the payment will be made on the 17th and that we will get our portion the same time?

What does that mean? This is so confusing.

Does that mean we don’t have to wait if we are not doing the injured spouse form??

We need to be out of the home we are renting by the 1st and the hotline said we should have our money on the 17th but that’s for direct deposit we told the tax advocate to let know that bank account was closed so need it sent via check. We now hitting rock bottom and we are so close. Trying to figure all this out.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@tamiam84: If the account is closed, they will mail a check around 2 weeks after the refund date. I believe I would call and talk to a rep about the 203, since you’ve had an issue with the id theft, its possible it won’t provide the information on the number provided. Interest on a refund starts from the tax deadline date of April 15th. Good luck, hopefully they can give you some answers.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: Congratulations. Nice to hear you got some good news. If the Ta contacted them, then yes, you should be seeing a check soon. They normally send the checks out on Friday so hopefully soon. The injured spouse usually takes some time but if the Ta is handling it, then it should move faster. Unfortunately, its hard to give you a time frame since it varies. I’ve seen some with a ta get their injured spouse returns done in as little as 6 weeks, others are still waiting. Let me know how it goes. I try to keep track just to see how they are moving this time of year. Again, congrats!

27. Stephie

@sheila_33

Finally got my bars back with refund approved they have a date for 10/17 and says it should be in the bank but my TA put a request in for us to receive check since the bank account we had for Direct Deposit has been closed. So they should mail a check right??

Also as I had mentioned before I sent my TA the injured spouse form bc it’s been off set due to my husband owing child support, do you know guessing wise how long that will take?

I’m just finally glad it’s coming to an end and we are getting our money.

28. tamiam84

My situation is complicated…I had ID theft for 2012 and 13 I filed an ID theft claim for those years a while back and the IRS said no it wasn’t. So, I incurred a tax debt. Did an Offer in Compromise for $1,000 which they accepted, paid it, they offset my 2018 refund and I filed another ID theft claim for 2012 and 13, this time they agreed it was ID theft. I received a letter in August stating I would receive my refund in 4-6 weeks, that came and went. I called the rep told me that I would receive a check for my 2018 refund, my $1000 and interest from April. I checked my transcripts all I see is my refund plus interest and it doesn’t look like it’s from April. Also, WMR is saying Direct Deposit, however that account is closed. I also have tax topic 203 offset, but when I call the number it’s saying it can not provide me with any information. I’m confused. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give all the info.

29. Neech

I got my refund how long should I wait before I file next year. This year’s process was a mess. I filed 1/29 and didn’t get my refund tip mid May. So this coming year I won’t file so early. What’s a good time?

• RN 9001, Weekly

Marge, have you seen any changes? Haven’t seen you for awhile.

• RN 9001, Weekly

Bent over By NYS!: Hang in there, this has been a terrible year for a lot of people. Good luck

32. Bent over By NYS!

@Sheila_33: ok I was told I have to wait until they close my case then file for a admin !! I’m like so lost !

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bent over By NYS!: You can appeal the decision and if you don’t have an advocate you might contact them to see if they can help you.

34. Bent over By NYS!

Hello !!.. I hope someone can help me I was audited in feb for NYS I drove for lyft and Uber so I filled a schedule C after all these months of fighting for my Refund they informed us that NYS is charging me 60 cents per mile I drove in my own vehicle that I pay the car note on and monthly maintenance I’m pissed 😤 can I go a step higher up to continue to fight for my $$ that’s owed to me!?

35. Lena Davis

I filed 2/2/19.. The end of March I found out I was under review for a few weeks.. After getting a Tax Advocate, whom I only talked to ONCE, I was only able to speak to representatives. When I called the IRS they would tell me to call my advocate. Finally after calling the Tax Advocate Hotline once a week (its best to start calling at 7:01AM to have a short wait time). I finally had a refund status change stating that I was getting a refund June 24th. June 24th came & found out my refund was taken by the US Treasury for debt. Let me remind you, I called the Treasure off a few times to make sure my husband and myself didn’t owe anything. My tax refund was taken last year due to student loans. Well, this year my refund was taken due to my HUSBAND’S student loan debt (I WAS PISSED). We just got married last year so this was my first time filing married. Now I know to file separate. So June 24th I had to file for Injury Spouse. I mailed the form in and was told it will take up to 8 weeks. 8 weeks came by and still NOTHING.. Called the IRS and was told to wait another 4 weeks. 4 weeks went by, called the IRS and was told that my check will be mailed out 9/13. They said it can take up to weeks to come in mail, but I was confused because the checks are mailed from Philadelphia, PA and I live in Ohio. FINALLY, after 7 longgggg months my son checked then mail and my check was in the mail 9/18/19!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@niya: It sounds like the check could possibly have been issued on Friday and if it hasn’t reached you by Oct. 7th, then you can call and inquire about it. If that is what happened, then you would see a check this week.

37. @niya

What does payout mean in irs world term? Like they said amended check released sept 16th payout date sept 27th and another date oct 7th. When should the wmr amended system show something other than sorry no information call such n such..when should the check be looked for ? Anybody ever amended can shed some light for me pretty please?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: injured spouse can sometimes take a little while but if your advocate is working with you it may move quicker.

39. Stephie

@Sheila_33: Thank you so much. My TA called again today and said she spoke with the examiner and they got everything but somehow didn’t get the three paystubs from the end of the year to verify my income. So she said send it over ASAP and she’d get it over to the examiner so I sent them over this evening. She said once the examiner has them they will close it out and release the funds she said would be about two weeks. But then I had to send in a injured spouse form bc my husband owes back child support. She said that could delay it so I’m wondering how much longer we’d have to wait.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: Yes, they’re definitely looking at it. I’m hoping that it was reviewed and you’ll see a change on transcripts tomorrow or next Friday depending on how soon they get it back into processing. It may just be the date pushing out but any movement on that transcript is a positive.

41. Stephie

@sheila_33

So finally a tax advocate contacted me like two weeks ago saying they were gonna contact the examination dept to put our return at top of the pile to move it along. I got a letter from the IRS yesterday saying they received the information they were requesting. It said to give them til November 17th but I assume my tax advocate had already been in contact with them.

She’s suppose to call me tomorrow with an update and said if everything is good then they send it back to processing to be closed and released. She said it would be in the beginning weeks of October is all is good. I’m really hoping that’s good news and we see our return soon. We’ve been really struggling especially with our 8 month old to get her the things she needs not to mention the things our 11 and 10 year old need.

UPDATE – got a call from the TA yesterday saying she is still waiting for a response from the examiner. She said they had until midnight last night to respond. So does that mean someone is actually looking at our return?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@nika: Its possible that it was released and has to cycle thru to update on transcript for a refund code to notify the treasury to send the check. Checks are normally released on Fridays unless they are manually kicked out.

43. @nika

What if tep said pay out date sept 27 but check released 16th? Does that mean the amended check will arrive by the 27th? Anybody?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bronxxbitch: If that date is moving, its a good sign. When I was audited last year, I was stuck at Feb. 12th for months, then the date pushed out in June and I got my refund date on the next update on transcripts. Fingers crossed for you. Its just possible that you may see something soon.

45. Bronxxbitch

Hey @sheila_33 hope all is well. If u can give just a little insight. I’ve been waiting and been patient with my audit. My transcript hasn’t moved with the date being stuck at March 14, 2019. Yesterday I checked and I haven’t updated with no new codes still 810 and 420 but my transcript date finally moved to oct 14,2019. Do you possibly think they are finally working on my return since the letter I got back in June said they should review by sept 8,2019. And I have been patient and to not get keep trying to get an advocate with the last two fails. Hopefully it’s paying off.

46. Stephie

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Nika: It’s going to need to cycle thru so if it updated last Thursday, you may see something in the next week or two.

48. Belle36

Filed march, they said nothing wrong with taxes just needed to verified identity. Did that heard nothing, called… they said I filed wrong..even though the first time they said everything was good. Supposed to mail me letter about what was wrong a month later still no letter what do I do?

49. Donnette D

So our tax preparer made a mistake and our MN state taxes were amended, sent back in early May. It’s now the end of September and we are still waiting! Seriously? Called the IRS 3-4 times, no answer just that it’s still processing.

50. Yellowrose

Okay, update for everyone. I was told by the advocate that everything was completed. I should receive what is left of the refund via direct deposit on the 18th this month. I haven’t received it yet. I haven’t received a letter from the department of education, stating my refund will be intercepted as of yet or any type of letter for my student loans. When I called the offset line, it says my refund COULD be intercepted for it. But once again I haven’t received anything on paper stating it would be and for how much. The amended refund line and website States I’m still being processed and I just don’t understand why the advocate said I was done and will receive what’s left from what was owed to the IRS on the 18th but I haven’t. He stated he was closing the case because it was completed.

51. WheresMyMoney

Filed march 11th. 30 days later Had to verify identity. Then 30 days later had to verify income, where i lived, that my kids are my dependents. 60 days later had to resend info on my oldest daughter and verify income again. Called yesterday 9/16 was told review is finished and now i am being audited. Just dont understand the IRS process. Frustrated.

52. Liz

I filed in January 2019 and was accepted February 25. I am still being processed. I have I received two letter. Last letter in June said 60 days, it will be 90 days soon. Beside the Month of March, April, May. I pray I hear something soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Belle36: There have been a few people that had to id verify again after id verifying online or on the phone. Not sure if its a glitch or if you possibly answered a question wrong.

54. Belle36

They first said they needed to verify, 3 months later they said I did something wrong. Has anyone ever had that happen?

55. Yellowrose

After not getting anywhere with the first advocate. I was able to get another one. He is awesome at what he does. He stayed in contact with me every step of the way. He would leave me detailed msg on the voicemail and made it a point to contact me on a Saturday. Because he knew I work Monday through Friday and it was hard to get to speak with him. I just received a msg, stating I will have my refund direct deposited the 18th next week and probably the night before. I did have an offset for tax owed to the IRS, so it has been paid in full. It has been such a long process. I thank everyone for any advice and encouragement. I hope everyone who is still waiting, for a amended return or any form of one receive it soon.

56. Jalisa

Do anybody know why the transcript hotline is different then the paper transcript the transcript hotline say as of August 8 but my paper transcript says as of August 26

• RN 9001, Weekly

For those still waiting, consider talking to an advocate. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to the number provided on the form and an advocate will contact you within a few days. They can at least tell you what the hold up is and give you some insight on what you can do. These reviews are being manually done which causes processing to stop until they are completed and entered back into the system.

58. Leah

@Puck: same here. I called them and they said it will take another review. Is it still possible to get my refund? I’m losing hope.

59. Puck

My tax return is still saying we have received your tax return and it is being processed today September 10th 2019 nothing has changed since January

60. Puck

@Rene: Congrats to you!

62. Rene

The website has updated overnight. Finally, a DDD of Sept. 17th. My 8th month wait is over! Good luck to everyone else.

63. jenny462

@momoh32019: I’m almost the same. said adjusted as of August 23. letter will arrive within 3 weeks regarding adjustments. nothing yet? anyone know what’s going on?

64. Kyle23

@Sheila_33: Thanks. I just thought the Where’s my Amended Refund sight updating before the transcripts was weird. I’ll keep checking though,

65. momoh32019

just came back to this site after I received my original tax return in March. I file an amendment this year, my ex husband didn’t claim our one son, so I did. it was received july2, and said adjusted August 23. website still says adjusted as of this morning. I still haven’t received anything as far as a letter or check. can’t view my transcripts. just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: Its possible its going to have to cycle thru and update on the next cycle. Hopefully you will see something this week.

67. Kygirl

@Rene: I finally updated this morning to a ddd of sept.11 it’s been a very long road and I’m so glad it’s coming to an end. I hope you have the same luck!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: Transcript normally has to code to notify the treasury to release the refund. Its possible it could have been manually coded and hasn’t reflected on the transcript yet. No changes on the transcript at all yesterday?

69. Kyle23

My transcripts still say additional taxes assessed. I failed an amended return and are expecting a refund. I checked the wmr tool and it switched today to the second bar which is adjusted. Is this a good thing or do I have to wait for the transcripts to update also?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: It should direct deposit since it’s the original return. If you can’t see your transcripts online, see if you update tomorrow with a refund date on the wmr. If not, I would consider calling Monday and see if they can give you an idea what’s going on. No worries. You weren’t rude. Good luck and let us know.

71. Still waiting

@ Sheila yes it’s the original return filed back in February got letter saying do nothing then in July got that letter saying you’re owed a refund so it will be direct deposited to my account? And not a mailed check? It’s been 6 weeks also should I call or give more time I know I’m a weekly thanks and good morning by the way forgive me for being rude

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: Are you able to see your transcripts? If that refund amount changed, then its quite possible that processing is almost complete. Today is a transcript update day so fingers crossed you see something soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Still waiting: If it is being processed as the original return, then it should be direct deposited, meaning if the return was adjusted while processing, it will be treated as the original return. Normally, amended returns if filed after the original return has been processed will kick out a check.

74. Still waiting

@ Shelia I got a letter about 6 weeks ago saying I’m due a refund if I haven’t received by then wait 4-6 weeks it’s been six my refund amount changed from the first amount my question when should I expect it and is it a check or direct deposit like I initially request

75. Rene

@Kygirl: We have very similar information except I filed on the 21st of January. On the 3rd of this month, they told me they put in a referral for my funds to be released. So, hopefully I’ll find out something soon and you can get some relief.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stephie: An audit can take awhile because they go in order of received, but an advocate can push your information to the top of the stack to be manually reviewed faster. When you are contacted by the advocate, make sure you make them aware of your dire situation. Its possible they will do an expedited hardship case and hopefully get it moving faster.

77. Stephie

So got send an audit packet basing off my husbands 1040 form because they didn’t have a record of my w2 due to paychex putting in the wrong social.

Paychex did finally send in a corrected w2 with the correct social. I also faxed over to the examination department the last three paystubs at the end of 2018 as well as my state assistance food stamps paperwork letters for three months showing my kids live with me. I also sent over a copy of my w2 with the wrong social on it along with the w2 with the corrected social as well.

Now I wonder how long it will take for all that. Been waiting since March. I also faxed over a 911 form to TA bc really behind on our car payment and barely made rent. We’re hurting really bad.

78. Tamara

Got date for 2017 taxes 9/9 they will be mailed out filed end of July got 17 and 18 back without issues blessing to those still waiting

• RN 9001, Weekly

@MrsSnider: If the case was closed, its got to cycle thru after the information is updated. Fingers crossed you see something sometime this week.

80. MrsSnider

@Sheila_33: it was an amended return as I entered incorrectly which gave me a bigger return. I have had to submit, resubmit get my congressman on board and TA.
    The first rep said it was looking good first of August called back and that rep said it closed complete 8/21 and I should have refund as I requested originally as I haven’t received any. I requested DD, he said that was good because it actually posts a week early. He didn’t have a dd date but he felt certain it would be this week or next. Anyone else had this?