When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: You can file previous years, but they each have to be filed separately, if that’s what I’m understanding you are saying. So, yes, you will have to start from scratch and just do 2018 tax year. If you’re using a tax software, like FreeTax, who doesn’t charge for Federal return, then you’ll have an idea how to amend the one you’re wanting to send in.

2. Vickylou
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863)
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: I thought I could file 2016 and 2018s wages because I was told I could do that. I didn’t know you have to enter only 2018 so I had to do my refund all over starting from scratch. I didn’t get my federal so I don’t know why I owe

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: So, the income you turned in was short a w2 or something for 2018? And you also need to file for 2017? Not sure I’m following correctly.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: I just don’t know how I would handle this, if you can’t even get a number for the accounting office. Such a run around, ridiculous.

5. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Ok my finals stats from this tax season
    Filed accepted 1/30 2019
    Cycle 06052019 processing 02/25/2019
    570 02/25/2019 for injured spouse
    5/09/2019 transcripts updated to
    846 05/15/2019
    953 am est turbo tax emailed me my refund has been deposited

6. Maryann

@WaitinginOhio: hi I filed the same day received the same letters same dates everything exactly the same as far as letters dates my review is up 5/14

7. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: they do its like a call center she don’t want to follow the prompts I have her the number yesterday she’s like ” no I need to talk to one person I can’t follow prompts” I’m like ok well I guess I just won’t gete money at least the other ta ain’t put me through this and Lyft just they said you have to email them even with number on the don’t have u have to email cus the number just hangs up and when I email them they said the IRS can email

8. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Yeah I never got my money I thought I could add my previous taxes. I can’t so my wages I had from a previous year and my TA called and said my wages for 2018 don’t match and that’s what is holding my refund up

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: If the income has changed, and tax withheld, then its possible you could owe. Go back thru and check again, maybe just a number entered wrong error.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: Can you call the national number, explain the situation, and perhaps they could give you an idea what to do. With it being a national company, all the financial stuff, records, etc has got to be going to an accounting division of the company, so even that number would help.

11. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Ok thank god the money is there

12. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yes but she said she don’t want those number she wants that direct number

13. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

When you file an amended return is it supposed to say you owe? My wages were off and I had to redo them and delete the ones I had now its saying I owe

14. Maryann

@LORI M: Hi I filed January 29 and my 60 days review suppose to be up May 14 no letter yet , may call tomorrow if I don’t update tonight . You are not alone

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: The 911 form is a way to get an advocate, sometimes quicker than calling and sitting on hold for 4 hours, but an advocate can do an expedited hardship, in some situations, and the Irs can approve and issue the refund. I’ve seen 4 so far that had that happen.

16. LORI M

I AM IN THE VERY SAME BOAT.I FILED ON JAN 25TH, AND KEEP GETTING LETTERS FOR A LONGER EXTENSION.TODAY WAS THE DAY I WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHEN MY TAXES WERE COMING.CALLED THE IRS YET AGAIN, AND TOLD 60 MORE DAY. THIS IS OUT OF HAND “RANDOMLY PICKED” LUCKY US !!!!! LETS PLEASE KEEP EACH OTHER UPDATED.
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@jsturgill80: Thank you, much appreciated. I can’t bear anyone having to wait. I know how it feels to be stuck in limbo.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Terri: It can take up to 2 weeks after adjustment to see it update. Hopefully, since she is expediting, it will move quicker

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: Can you get national numbers and addresses for both of them?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@MichiganLady: It could possibly be a review letter.

21. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@DOT: okay for your car loan did you use the account number like if you log on to your app for your car loan that I know mine’s is like a seven digit number or if you have an Experian account or if you can create one they always use those account numbers that’s on the experience so make sure your mortgage account number matches with the one that’s on the Experian because they do a soft inquiry check that’s what they get the account numbers from you have to make sure those numbers match up with what’s on your Experian report

22. DOT

@Mommyof3: I tried using the previous year’s tax info and it says it doesn’t match their records. I used the information for the return I just filed but when I go the next step I’ve tried my mortgage loan, my car loan and a credit card number and it always locks me out….this is so frustrating.

23. @MichiganLady

I have a letter arriving today from IRS. I’ve amended my taxes and I have a tax advocate and hardship. My transcripts updated last Thursday with examination 424. And idea what this letter will say???

24. Tori8289

My 60 days is up today. Now it’s telling me I’m not entering my info correctly. I talked to a lady 3 weeks ago and she said they didn’t need any further info so I should get my refund. I’ve not had to give any info so far at all. The letters just stated they were looking into my income more. 🙄

25. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@eric529: hey sir….can u help me feel up with a decision

26. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

@LaJo23: I am pretty sure you can change that if the address matches your return and your 846 code has t been issue

27. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

I am sorry all I am being one of those annoying people with there ddd but I do have a valid concern

28. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Omg this suspense is killing me and I could be going through this till tomorrow smh

29. eric529

Damnit where’s tiger 😭😭😭😭gone fishing I bet till January

30. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Sorry to all those still waiting but shit I am more nervous today waiting to see if my stuff gonna be there today tomorrow or in mail in 4 weeks shit hope they didn’t mess up having it in my name

31. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: good morning Shelia…ok so my new ta called me yesterday she wants a letter from both employers and a direct contact number.. well both is saying the best way to contact them is through email and it will get ha ndled by someone. There is no he department for neither. Amazon don’t have a number to the plant I use to work at due to security reasons. I have email addresses for both what do u think I should do. She said she can’t do anything without verification first

32. LaJo23

Is there any way possible to change direct deposit to a paper check? Can the TA request it to be sent by check?

33. Tiredofwaiting

They take our money so freely and it’s like pulling teeth to get it back they need to understand this is not a loan it’s what we are owed how about we say stop taking tax from our paycheck until we I D verify or better yet let me put y’all under review check back in 60 days how many people that depend on our tax to pay their mortgage bet they got their money it’s truly sad

34. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

I feel like I’m becoming a nuisance, but it’s about to drive me crazy! My TA was doing great at contacting me every 2-3 days and now I haven’t heard from her since 5/2! She put in the request to expedite my injured spouse refund and I found out the IRS closed my case & made the adjustment for the full amount on 5/6…. Any guesses to when I’ll see a check?

35. lady d

finally updated 5/11 I filed 2/5 my DDD is 5/15 Hopefully everything workout with the Deposit I’ve waited so long. I don’t need another disappointment.

36. jsturgill80

@Sheila_33: I’ve noticed you always are here to help whomever needs it…long after you could have just left. Major kudos to you for being so nice and knowledgeable and going the extra mile! :)

37. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I was on the igotmyrefund Facebook site and the person said IRS doesn’t do hardships. They said the 911 form is just to get a TA

38. SamJChicago

Just called the IRS again, The lady was so rude and disrespectful.. I continued to keep my cool until I finally couldn’t take it anymore. She kept saying your 60 days ain’t up your 60 days ain’t up and i kept trying to explain to her that the last rep I spoke to a month ago told me the SS amount didn’t match what was on w2 and that it might fix itself or call back to see if I should send something (if I choose not to wait for a letter) and this lady would cut me off again saying until the 60 days are up I can’t do nothing for you. Finally I told her to stop cutting me off and do her job and of course she didn’t like that so she’s like I’m hanging up the line now I’m like go ahead I’m gonna call right back and hopefully get someone normal because you sound angry and mad at the world so she told me that she didn’t have to wait 60 days like I do so I’m the 1 that sounds mad.. I’m like wtf?! I cussed her out and she hung up on me 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️. Yeah I’m done with this BS

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: definitely. Hopefully they can get things moving faster.

40. Bossnikki

I am just wondering with all the taxpayers under review (millions per IRS rep) how are they possibly gonna go through each one in a reasonable amount of time) it maybe next year for those of us who haven’t seen movement in months

41. AT

@@MichiganLady: hi there. I did have a TA. I filed my amend return right after I got the date of my original return which was March 20th. And they received it on March 25th adjusted it on April 14th and complete on May 10th. Ddd on May 14th.

42. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@@MichiganLady: ok so my advocate is in Detroit. What did your ta make you send in..mines told me to send in a letter with win number on the letter and direct number but they said they can only be contacting by email which is true. So I don’t know what to do

43. Bossnikki

@Hclay: yes, im currently going through that 9 weeks was up on the 12th of may just to have a 4464c letter received 4/15 added additional 60 days which will be up mid June f/a 2/18

44. Hclay

So the letter 4464c is on top of having to verify my identity? It took almost 8 weeks after I verified my identity to it saying my return is being processed. So the up to 60 days is on top of the almost 8 weeks?

45. lp7
      maryland
      wellsfargo
    • W2

@PatientlyWaiting23: it will be Wednesday. Wellsfargo has never deposited early for anyone I know.

46. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@@MichiganLady: I’m here in Michigan do you have a ta here if so can we help each other out

47. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

Do ta’s accept email addresses for employers both Lyft and Amazon will not provide me with direct phone numbers saying the best way to contact them is through email she won’t take my hardship unless she verify everything she called me about an HR ago

48. @MichiganLady

@Ashley T: plzzzz tell me more of your process? Did you amend with advocate? When did you amend? How long since you amended til you got your refund?

49. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: If they sent my case over to a TA is that good?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bossnikki: till not tull lol.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bossnikki: yes give it tull then. An amended starts the processing all over again so give it a little time.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Ashley T: Thanks for letting me know hun. Pay that electric bill but have a little fun too.

53. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I called the tax advocate line for the first and she like my case was submitted to someone on the 9th. I’m like I didn’t know that??

54. Bossnikki

@Sheila_33: the rep said if I dont hear anything by June 9th which is a Sunday call back.. Ive come up with idea that if I haven’t gotten a refund by that date ill amend I cant wait much longer

55. Ashley T

@Sheila_33: hi Sheila just wanted to let you know i am receiving my amended refund direct deposit tomorrow morning.. I just got off the phone with the irs and confirmed it… I couldn’t wait lol I have a very high electric bill due tomorrow… 😅 phew

56. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yeah the first advocate didn’t tell me nothing about it I guess because nothing I happened yet but when she looked into the notes and saw that it was I reported it to them before that my car was getting ready to be turned over and now it was gone I guess that made all of the difference and she just said that I qualify for a 3-day car back in expedited release the funds so we shall see that she was to call me by Wednesday so hopefully she’ll call about tomorrow but if not definitely Wednesday

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bossnikki: there’s a good chance that’s what it is and if the rep said to wait I definitely would since it’s possible they’ll adjust it internally and process it. She may be seeing something you’re not so hopefully that’s a sign you’re finishing up.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: if an advocate will expedite, there is a hardship form she can submit and it take 3 to 5 days. Irs will approve it and you can manually update without having to cycle thru. Something to consider.

59. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: hey Sheila how are you just a quick question so I finally talked to lifters see why there was discrepancies within my 1099-misc and there are form that they submitted to the IRS it seems as though the $2,500 worth of fees that were paid to lift for using their platform which means I didn’t receive those fees they told me that the IRS should have distinguish the difference between the two my intake person also said that she cansee that those were the fees that lives were paid what she stated was in a circuit box I don’t know but either way I’m just wondering cuz she told me that my ta will not ask me to send nothing do they do expedited funds she told me I qualify for expedited refund and also I did get the letter in the mail that my car was going to be so even though I have it back not going to tell them that and also my apartment gave me an eviction notice I did put my money for rent and a money order form and I did inform my management company what I was doing and that I was trying to get my refund sooner and she understood but she did tell me that I would still have to pay late fees I’m okay with that I just want my refund though so do you think that all this will work for me to get it expedited refund and how long do you think it takes sorry for the long message

60. Bossnikki

@Bossnikki: I may just contact tax advocate currently on 5-7 minute hold wondering what else will be said so nervous right now but I need my coins

61. Bossnikki

@Sheila_33: good afternoon so after going over my tax papers there is a difference in withholding amounts maybe that’s the hold up I asked IRS rep should I amend a he stated that maybe its best that I wait

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Martydabaddest: the negative balance is your refund amount. The as of date is the date something needs to be done on your return or it pushes out another week.

63. Martydabaddest

What does it means when it says account balance -$xxxx.xx? On your account transscript

64. eric529

@PatientlyWaiting23: honestly highly unlikely the big banks post day of

• RN 9001, Weekly

@DOT: You can receive a transcript anytime per request, I would try to call again and talk to a different rep.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Question: Checks are posted on Fridays, so its possible the date of May 27th is the date it has to be delivered by especially since the rep stated interest

• RN 9001, Weekly

@SickOfTheIrs: Thank you. The transcript has to have a code to release the refund so I’m not sure why the TA told you otherwise. Since you amended before the original return even processed, there’s a chance it may not even update as an amended…. but normally a amended while processing will show up as a 971 and the definition will be an amended filed as original return. Its possible the 570 is a hold because of the difference in amounts and it has to be reviewed further and with you submitting the correct amounts, they should adjust.

68. Celinababyy93

@WaitinginOhio: yes I understand.. I never got a 45 day review letter only was told over the phone which told me after May 10th and then I got a letter April 1 saying 60 day review no action needed and when I called it says the 60 day review will be up June 10th

69. WaitinginOhio

@Celinababyy93: I’ve never had this happen before either. The last letter I received was March 11 telling me there was another 60 day review. Which is up today. Who even knows what is going on. My return was very basic. The only thing that would prompt review is the Earned income/child tax credit. This is the first year I have ever had a review. Very frustrating and strange bc I definitely needed this money 3 months ago.

70. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I spoke to an irs rep last week regarding my 446c or 466 c whatever it is. She like it was sent out the 30th and you should get it soon. Like how long does it take? My taxes don’t wait when they take them out. You know what I am applying to be a irs rep and cashing everyone out!!

71. Celinababyy93

@WaitinginOhio: that’s what I’m thinking too. I have never had this problem before. And God only knows I need this money. Idk what can be holding it up. Haven’t received any other letters or anything.

72. WaitinginOhio

@Celinababyy93: I am wondering the same thing. Does anyone else feel as if every time you call it prompts an additional 60 day review?

73. Celinababyy93

So filed feb. 26 was accepted same day, filed married with kids. Still says processing, and was told under a 45 day review check back May 10th and then got a letter about being under review called back and they said under a 60 day review to check back after June 10th.. is there even a point of calling and checking in?

74. PatientlyWaiting23
      Colorado
      Wells Fargo

Good morning all! My direct deposit date is 5/15. I have Wells Fargo. Is it possible that it could deposited tomorrow instead of Wednesday morning?

75. WaitinginOhio

@Sarah02895: I am definitely a little hesitant to call the IRS again as it seems every time I do I receive another review. So frustrating.

76. Sarah02895

@WaitinginOhio: I am in the same boat as you, filed the same day and got the same letters but my transcripts keep on saying 4/15 and still have a cycle date of 20190705. I received my state taxes 2/26. This is crazy and I’m going nuts since we have been running on empty and needed this $ to help with bills and mortgage while I have been out of work on maternity leave. IRS has no new update for me. It’s sucks

77. WaitinginOhio

Filed my taxes January 28. Received “take action” message on February 11. Received a 45 day review stating I didn’t need to do anything. Then received a additional 60 day review letter on March 11th. I have called the IRS two times and they state that there’s nothing I need to do. My transcripts have an as of date of April 1. My WMR still says “we have received your return and it is being processed”. I received my Ohio State return on February 9. I am at the end of my rope here and have no clue of what to do at this point. Any suggestions or answers out there?

78. SickOfTheIRS

@Sheila_33: good morning. Hope you had a blessed Mother’s Day. I’m really confused…..so does the transcript work for an amended return or not?? The amounts from the original were incorrect so it never processed. We haven’t received anything from the original return. The TA said the transcript will not update but reading on here says it will. Which one is it? The only thing that has updated on the transcript is the as of date which is today: May 13th. I don’t have the 971/972 codes. The last thing on my transcript is the 570 code with the March date. 🤷🏾‍♀️

79. Question..

So after back and fourth the irs finally sees my state as a overpayment and will mail me the refund. They said in their system it shows them processing date of May 27th. Is that the date they will release it or is there just a random date they give and I’ll get it earlier ? He said if they held it past that date I’d get a interest refund so I’m assuming I’d get it earlier then that? I know it’s going to take a bit loger since it’s a check. I normally process weekly but not sure if that matters anymore since it’s a overpayment and not a tax return at this point ? Any help please

80. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@DOT: are u using ur last year filing info. If u used a different address last yr that’s the address it wants same with filing status etc

81. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

@DOT: it’s a pain I got lucky got. A credit card and it worked just have them fax it to you

82. DOT

This is my first year filing IS tax return. I attempted to get an online transcript but each time I attempt to create an account it says my information does not match and locks me out. I filed electronically and my tax return was accepted on March 8. I called the IRS and they stated that they could not provide me with an updated until after May 24. Is there anything I can do other than wait?

83. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

@C&E: Sounds like the general message you get when it’s updating. I would check again in a few hours.

84. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: Gosh I wish that was the case! lol But I’d definitely come back and let everyone know about God’s miracle 🤣

85. C&E

Our Louisiana refund went to pressing pending approval for over 45 days to …

The status of your refund is not available at this time. Please check again at a later date. If you filed your taxes electronically, you can expect to receive your refund within 45 days from the filing date. If you filed a paper return, you can expect your refund within 14 weeks from the filing date.

Anybody have a clue?

86. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: i finallynuodated with my 846 code but wmr still says being processed

87. eric529

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: Walt what’s up

88. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Good morning all I can’t believe I am actually asking this but with turbo tax and there turbo card it gets loaded tomorrow or Wednesday highly doubt any sooner

89. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

NO posts this morning?????
    The last post I see is from 11:50pm last night. Weird!!

Did everyone update and receive their money except me????

90. Devonta
      GA
      AmerisBank
      Take Action

@Maryann: sorry for the late response, yes I’ve gotten two 60 days notice.

91. Devonta
      GA
      AmerisBank
      Take Action

Has anyone had to actually wait the whole 60 days?
    I’m on my second 60 day review

92. eric529
    • Injured Spouse

Happy mother’s day to all the mommas our there

93. SuLene619
      Chase

@1ndependenceday: i am/was it’s supposed to end 05/18. I’ve never received any letters but was told by an IRS rep which forced me to get a TA involved