When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. Wondering2020

On the 27th all the talk is gonna be us in the back stalking transcripts for Friday..LOL – *Sitting in the back of the classroom popping my gum waiting on the 27th*

2. Mrs. Perkins (not signed in)

@readytomove2020: NetSpend did me like that after I filed in January. They claim it will transfer over to the new account/routing number so it’s a waiting game at this point.

3. readytomove2020

@MarylandGirl: It makes complete sense, I called SBTPG and they said that worst case scenario is that it will come back to them and then 5-10 I will get a paper check in the mail. Im good with that; as long as it doesnt take a month or two lol

@GA/FLgirl: If it doesn’t resolve, don’t hesitate about getting an advocate please. There are a lot of good ones out there, I know for a fact. Sounds like she was either having a bad day, or just doesn’t want to do her job. When you submit a 911 advocate request, they get back to you after they’ve looked into your return, instead of someone you just called whos probably overwhelmed anyway.

5. ken

@Tommyutah: yeah west coast is last..errr.
    I do recall I got my deposits between 10am to 3pm PST using TT. Thought maybe it will post early now I’m using their TT card instead of my bank..

6. StillWaitingVa
      Virginia
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Clementine78: Hey!!! I hope you get yours soon…the suspense is real!

7. MarylandGirl

@readytomove2020: have you reached out to Chime? I dont have any advice on that because it has never happened to me. But maybe if your account number stayed the same and it is the same bank, you should still receive the funds even if they changed the routing number because the routing number should still be associated with that bank, if that makes sense. I would send an e-mail.

8. Yahtzee

@ken: I did not. I called SBTPG to confirm they sent my money. Then I just checked my card account every 30 minutes. It literally can drop at any minute.

9. Clementine78

@Tommyutah: I haven’t gotten mine and I am in Missouri so Midwest hasn’t either that I’ve seen

10. MarylandGirl

Nothing on Chime yet and currently chatting with a representative that is saying they dont see it and it can take a whole business day if it was just sent this morning.

11. GA/FLgirl

@Sheila_33: Thank you Sheila. I was stressed out after that call. She talked to me like I was a criminal and the advocate sort of seemed like they don’t really want you to request any assistance its very frustrating. Hopefully you are right.

12. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099
    • Weekly

@MarylandGirl: nope but I’m hiding don’t tell nobody I’m here

13. Tommyutah

I dont think I have seen anyone on the west side of the us get a deposit on the turbo card yet. Is this true? I have no fees or an advance. I have not seen anything?

14. ken

Any of you that got a DD on there TT cards get a notification text/email?

15. readytomove2020

@MarylandGirl: no i use my bank but i cant have 2 refunds into 1 account, my husbands and mine mfs

16. Jazmine112

@Ugh just need: mine says the same thing when i call but when the website was working mine said it was sent to my card so idk what is going on

17. GoGators 352

If anyone’s using Refund Advantage the phone number to check on your refund(800) 967-4934 they are flooded with calls they just said they may be able to look up your refund also here is the meta bank tax refund hotline (866)876-6648 and Republic bank (866) 581-1040

18. Gabby
      wisconsin

wish i was one of the people losing my mind, about money not coming on early…..

19. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@MSRazorbackPhD: seems like it smh. Their whole website is down. However, my aunt wasn’t showing on their hotline at like 9 she just got her money about a hour ago on her TT card

20. Needsomecoffee19

@Tooreal: I I have had chase for years. They deposit the day of ddd. It will be deposited and available sometime after midnight before morning

21. Harmony404$

irs needs to hurry up putting my info in the computer. ugh omg , even though they just got my return yesterday. im ready to start processing. ugh!!!!!!!!

22. StillWaitingVa
      Virginia
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

TT card DD about an hour ago! Fees taken out and had an advance taken out also. Although, I’m done using TurboTax…they’ve become too expensive.

23. MarylandGirl

@slymslym: Is this your first year using Chime? If not, how long does it usually take after fees are deducted?

24. Candi
      Tx
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • Weekly

@MarylandGirl: no update

25. If only...
      GA
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@MSRazorbackPhD: only their website is down according to their agent I spoke to this morning

26. Ugh just need

Okay the website showed that they had received and taken my fees out, which is offline now until 4pm PST. When I call the number it says not received …. which is it?! Come TT get it together

27. MSRazorbackPhD
      Mental or physical?
      FDIC Insured :)
    • Weekly

@Mbry0625: So, SBTG, just paused others?

28. Looking for it

Hi.. those with Brinks Netspend I’m in ga and just woke up to mine.. it posted at 12:07 if it helps.. good luck everyone

29. Motax417

@Tabitha Shannon: axos says they release them as soon as they receive them but that is false they have had ours since this am and still haven’t released them won’t be using anything axos related again

30. MarylandGirl

Any Chimer updates?????

Where did everyone go? I can’t be the only one stalking this page on company time.

31. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@lilred44 (15th): I see their servers crashed smh

32. If only...
      GA
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Tabitha Shannon: my networks usually deposits day before late afternoon/evening

33. Amy
      NJ
      Chime
    • Education Credit (8863), W2

@Relax!!: You are misinformed, you may want to read IRS info on this.

34. Tabitha Shannon

Hello I have axos NetSpend bank account does anyone know when the deposit is. I’m very anxious to get it and also my kids dad has centerbank I was wondering anyone knew the deposit time for that bank also.

35. Mommie Montana.

When I call the SBTPG hotline, it states a payment was made to my TT card… I saw that as well on their website around 6am… so I guess I’m just waiting for it to post?

36. Heather L
      GA
      USAA
    • Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2

@Safaulk88: USAA never holds and I haven’t seen mine yet. I think the hold up (for my refund anyway) in on the TT side because I had to have my fees taken out.

@GA/FLgirl: I think you talked to someone who gave you the worst case scenario. My suggestion would be to give it a week and see if anything changes. If not, then I would not call the advocate, I would fax a 911 advocate request form and see if you can get someone who can help you amend if that’s whats needed. There are a lot of good advocates out there, and their job is to help you resolve a bad situation, in as little time as possible. And what is going on with you, its not a hard fix.

38. readytomove2020

so chime changed routing numbers after I entered it in on my refund, will it still come in or what should I call sbtpg?

39. GoGators 352

@Tfrazier812: you are find the too much traffic is over loading their system while you are getting your beauty sleep tonight you’ll wake up to prince Money$$$$$$$

40. Steven
      NORTH CAROLINA
      NETSPEND
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, TC 846, Weekly

@moneyhungry111: correction 830 est pm not 630est pm

41. Steffyyy

@Harmony404$: don’t stress too hard on WMR, they slack it most of the time. I just logged on and it still hasn’t updated to funds sent but SBTG has recieved my refund. A couple years ago I got my refund before WMR even updated to approved.

42. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@lisa: I have mine as of 553 this morning.