When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

Ok hell naw so it’s a lot of us being audited this is crazy…this shit is beyond my IQ

2. StillwaitinginAZ

Now I have 424 code on my transcript with a date of 5/16. All after ID verify and told I was under 60 day review. I remember last year there was a glitch and 424’s turned into 846’s but I doubt this is the case. I will probably get a 420 next week. Good luck to everyone still waiting. Hopefully good news will come soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@domdee2: There are a lot updating to these 424, a few last week. Any additional codes besides the 424?

4. bunnhead77

@Sheila_33: no call back date…can I just go to ssa.org and try to see for myself?

5. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

So now after contacting IRS monthly filed in Jan, woke up to 424, as of June 3, WTH, playing games I guess☹️☹️

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Celinababyy93: Yes, they update all day.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@bunnhead77: Did she give you a call back date? Curious if your wages are showing up on the ssa site, that might give you affirmation that they’ve been accepted.

8. bunnhead77

Hi Sheila, I finally called for an advocate. They said my employer never reported my wages. She actually did it twice though because I asked her to resubmit them. I guess we’ll see what happens….

9. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft

@Mommyof3: So what happened with me was i got the 570. I got an advocate who told me it was because one of my jobs never reported income. She told me to amend to take the income off ( it wasnt that much money) and add it later after I got my refund. After my amended return was processed I was told my refund was being held because they processed the amended return twice ( they said they received two amended returns even tho I only sent one). After the amended was processed I got a 424 then a week later got 420….my TA has stated she doesn’t know whats going on

10. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

@Sheila_33: nope. No changes at all. My as of date still say May 27…..when I just logged in to check my transcripts again i noticed they updated the site…pretty cool

• RN 9001, Weekly

@PlainJane: Anything at all change on your transcript? Any dates, any new codes like freezes or letters sent?

12. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@PlainJane: OMG wth and you’re still under an audit it scares me

13. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sheila_33: yes thank you! Finally. My 60 day ended yesterday. And I got a TA that requested a release 5/8 so hopefully things move quickly from here

14. Royalty
    • Identity Theft

Just an update! Filed and accepted on 2/14…changed a couple weeks after to the system not being able to find my info unless I entered single even though I filed HOH. On my transcript after being processed I had the hold code of 570. I contacted a Tax advocate who advised me to amend because my wages/withholdings were off. I amended for 2017 and 2018 around the end of March and it showed up on my transcripts on 4/8. They finished my 2017 amended before the 2018 amended and the DDD is 5/17 (mailed check). My amended 2018 return was put on hold again (another 570). I saw it and called my advocate asap and she asked them to release the hold last week. This morning my transcript updated with DDD 5/22 for 2018 taxes. Sidenote: I also contacted my local congress office so that may have helped speed things along.

15. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

@Mommyof3: yep. I’ve had my TA since Feb

16. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@PlainJane: do u have a ta

17. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

Hey ya’ll just my update…….no update still stuck on 420. Happy Friday!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Terri: Congratulations hun. So happy to see someone get a refund code this morning. And thank you for the nice words.

19. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: my advocate said the only thing that was in question was the Lyft job because they reported 2500 more than what I received they included the fees they take out for them in my 1099 I refuse to admend their mistake but she told me that’s the only thing the address situation was cleared but I guess this came up after

20. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

@Sheila_33: thank you SO much for everything you do here!! People need to be reminded more on donating & utilizing affiliate links bc this saves us so much time, money & frustration! I had joined a few injured Spouse groups on social media & kept seeing either hateful, blatant lies or misleading info. I ALMOST didn’t accept being assigned a TA bc of the terrible, negative things being said in those groups but so thankful I followed my instincts & listened to you instead!! They said, “An advocate can’t do anything but send a letter to IRS for you, they never answer the phone or keep you updated & you give up the ability to speak to the IRS.” Happy to say their generalizations were wrong! My case hadn’t even been assigned to anyone the end of April, when I was referred to TAS. 1 week later my claim was approved (5/6) & today I updated to 846-5/24! Sorry this is so long, but I had to share! 🙌♥️

• RN 9001, Weekly

For those waking up with those audit request codes, if you don’t have an advocate, get one, unless you can tolerate the wait time. More often than not, those 424s are switching to the audit 420 code in the next cycle. When you go under exam, your return sits until they can manually go in and verify and process it. Sometimes they request info from you, and sometimes they don’t and you hang in limbo until they decide what to do. Audits go in order, an advocate can pull that return out of the pile and push it to be processed. Last year, I went under audit the first part of February and along with 3 or 4 others, I half heartedly tried to get an advocate, but after a month, just decided to wait. It took 5 months to see my refund. The others in audit with me, some got advocates and saw their refunds in half the time.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Nae Bae: That’s a very good sign, you’re moving again, so it looks like whatever was holding it is being processed and its cycling thru.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: Something has triggered that audit. Did you have any changes in claiming the kids from last year? The income we know about so that should be getting taken care of with the advocate. I know you said you had a change in addresses and sometimes that will raise a red flag. Believe it or not, having an advocate is good right now, because she can get them to look at the return instead of it sitting waiting to be processed since they go in order.

24. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

My as of finally moved up from 4/8 to 6/3 today… been stuck on 4/8 since 3/25

25. DeenDee

I filed 2nd week of February, electronically with IS form attached.
    The “where is my refund” site has shown the same code 152 for past 10 weeks.
    I called 8 weeks ago and was advised the date for processing was June 8th. Called again last Tuesday and was advised the IS dept hasn’t done their part and my return is just “sitting there”. So the person submitted a form to request it be processed aND said I should have it within 30 days but usually within 2 weeks…
    Seriously….

26. SickOfTheIRS

Only change on transcript is the as of date to June 3rd. Getting conflicted answers as to whether or not the transcript updates with an amended that is processing instead of the original. TA scheduled to call on 23rd. All this crap should be against the law. Having your hard earned money kept from you. Aving to go through so much red tape to get it. So sick of this I don’t know what to do😡😠😡

27. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

From what I’m reading I’ve read more people waking up with the 424 code than anything have yet to see a 846

28. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@eric529: only good news I have is I saved 50bucks on my car insurance not through Geico but progressive 😁😁

29. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Mommyof3: i am so sorry to hear that I came on hoping to hear good news from you

30. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

Ok well so much for that I just got word I’m being audited so having a ta is pointless at this point igotmyrefund he/she said it’ll turn into a 420 next week and I’ll receive a package just don’t understand how one ta said it was released and approved to it’s now being audited well guys no refund for me no time soon

31. Mommyof3

@Sheila_33: ok Shelia now I have 424 with 5/16 date

32. Latefiler

@Quick question..: What’s your mail date? I have the same question…My WMR said your tax refund is scheduled to be mailed out by May 21st… Does that mean they will mail before the 21st or on the 21st??

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Momomof2: Go to Irs.gov and print out the 911 reqWuest advocate form, fax to the number provided. Note on the top of the form that you are having a critical hardship, and they should call you within 3 to 5 days with a local advocate.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Quick question: Checks are mailed on Fridays, usually take around 3 to 5 days to reach you

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Noodles2810: No, I only got the information request letter.

36. God bless 82

I been following this forum since February,any ways filed jan 27 got accepted February 2nd lost bars 1st week of march called IRS they said my 2 wages needed to beverify called a week later now im under a 45 days l review called 45 days later now 60 day review kept. ..I read somewhere if you tell them your under hardship
    they process your tax faster thats exactly what I did they assigned me a [email protected]:

37. Momomof2

My employer filed a new w2 they just gotat irs apr 25… Now i dont have 20$ to feed my kids…i give up

38. Quick question..

So checks are mailed out from irs on Friday’s is what I gather . IF I call tomorrow to see if mine has mailed out will they be able to tell me tomorrow? Do they actually print and mail out Friday morning or mail out Friday evening Or do they process Friday nights and not mail out till Monday? Thanks for any help!

39. Noodles2810
      Delaware
      Federal Credit union
      Take Action
    • TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: hello did u have a cp05 letter ?

40. Givememycoins30
      Maryland
      Bbvb
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

I mean April 18th @tigerlili_1

41. Givememycoins30
      Maryland
      Bbvb

@Tigerlili_1: I have been waiting for so long, got a ta she has not communicated with me but they said she recieved the document asked for may 18th. Still no refund no change on trans as of date is may 20th… I am on a leave of absence with no pay sick as hell Bill’s behind and she doesnt return calls

42. Mommyof3

@Tigerlili_1: hey not for me…Eric got his yesterday

43. Huntingtonbeachmomof4
      CA
      Turbo Tax Prepaid
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • 5071C Letter

60 day review is up today. I am on the fence about calling to get my transcripts faxed…but also anxious a.f. to know what’s going on with my refund.

44. Tigerlili_1
      WA, CA, Ut
      PenFed
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, Identity Theft

@Mommyof3: Hey there, still nothing? What about eric

45. Ashley_14

@Fatyonce: following! Our 60 day review ended yesterday. And always stayed on topic 152

• RN 9001, Weekly

@TampaTiff: Last year it seemed like once it changed to “is being processed” a refund followed shortly after. This year, the message doesn’t seem to be leading to a refund date as quickly.

47. Igotmyrefundlover
      Ca
      Green dot
    • TT 152, 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sun: Hi… Did you have any tax topic 201, 203, or student loans????

48. TampaTiff

What are the different WMR phrases, I thought I remembered people saying they seen the verbiage change prior to receiving their DDD

49. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Givememycoins30: I’m about to send this s*** I need my damn money ain’t no body got time to be wasting

50. Mommyof3

@Givememycoins30: can’t stand them

51. Givememycoins30
      Maryland
      Bbvb

@Mommyof3: yeah she had no other choice Amazon play to much with employees taxes

52. Sun

Anyone have Navy Federal Bank; DD says today but nothing…. IRS says sent what’s going on here in Hawaii?

53. Maryann

@Sarah02895: review was up yesterday and call today was told by rep she sending over a referral and could get refund any day but I need wait up to 60 days to get it . She ask for a contact number and when was best time to call . This must have been same rep you had . Idk 😐

54. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: they said it’s for security reasons they don’t even have an HR Dept be far the most unorganized company

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: hopefully she’ll accept it. Not sure why they have to be so hard to get in touch with.

56. Mommyof3

@Givememycoins30: im like wth did ur ta accept it

57. Sarah02895

I just got of the phone with the IRS I am now passed the 60 day mark for my 4464C letter and I was told my return has not even been looked at :-( was told a referral has been sent on my behalf since I have yet to receive my refund or another letter has been sent. Was told could take another 60 days. Anyone else in the same boat or have had his happen? Can’t wait another 60 days. Is it time to get an advisor? Any help would be appreciated

58. Givememycoins30
      Maryland
      Bbvb

@Mommyof3: they did me the same way

59. Mommyof3
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: ok so Amazon sent a letter of verification through overnight shipping when I say it looks like my two year old typed this…I was thinking to fax over a copy of the packing with my address and there’s so she will know it’s legit but I must say it’s horrible

60. Vickylou
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863)
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Anyone who knows once you turn your amended return to your TA how long does it take to get your refund?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stacee: Go to Irs.gov get forms. Print it out, fax it to the number provided at the bottom of the form. It takes about 3 to 5 days for them to contact you with a local advocate.

62. kristeena78
      CA
      Chase

@eric529: still waiting. She put in a referral.
    How long after do you think it will be?

63. kristeena78
      CA
      Chase

Still waiting. My review was up monday called today she put in a referral. Days up to 60 days. In average how long will it take?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Stacee: You might consider faxing a 911 request tax advocate form in and see if an advocate can move it along any faster.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mississippi Chick: Awesome news, hopefully they get you back into processing fast and kick out that refund.

66. Mississippi Chick

@Sheila_33: Hey! Yesterday my job called tax advocate to verify my wages so hopefully I will hear something soon

67. Stacee

I received the cp05 and the date was 5/2/19 for an answer or refund. It is now 13 days later with no letter or refund from the IRS. I called today and they are now saying that I have to wait an additional 60 days for another letter or my refund! This is absolutely unacceptable! They should know by now what is going on with my review and have some kind of answer. So what do I do now? I am low income and rely on the tax return.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Noodles2810: Mine took about 2 weeks after it was processed, it had to cycle thru once and then the next cycle it updated to a refund date.

69. Noodles2810
      Delaware
      Federal Credit union
      Take Action
    • TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Hello all would anyone no how long it takes to rcv ddd after 420 review completed and amount verified .?

70. WaitinginOhio

@Maryann: Have you received any additional info or have you updated at all?

@RSKpuppies: 800) 829-0582 Ext. 652

72. RSKpuppies

Hey I’m new to posting but not new on the site. I was hoping you guys can help me. I really need to speak to someone at the IRS but now everything is automated and I can’t get through to a live person. Is there another way, another phone number ? Help please.

73. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Undauntedbeauty: ty hope you all get yours soon

74. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

How is everyone today

75. Undauntedbeauty
    • Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • RN 9001, TC 570, 5071C Letter, Weekly

@eric529: Congrats Eric!!!

76. Latefiler

Transcripts updated today… Filed 4/18 had one bar and the normal being processed message with tax Topic… 4/30 my bars left, Still Being Processed message, tax Topic but no amount… 5/6 my Amount came back, Still Being Processed, Tax Topic… 5/8 my transcripts finally was filled and I had 570… 5/9 I called the stayed even though I filed 4/18 and accepted same day I didn’t go into their system until 4/30 and allow 21days… 5/14 transcripts updated with 846 refund issued 5/21… That’s my story

77. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

@Amirah23: Through the IRS, probably not…. If you have a deposit card (like HR Block, TT Card, NetSpend, etc) you could probably cancel your card/report it lost or stolen, then wait for the IRS to send the deposit and once it’s rejected they’ll send a check, but the whole process can take up to 12 weeks.

78. Amirah23

Is it possible to change my refund from direct deposit to a paper check even though I got a refund advance?

79. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

I meant 60 day review

80. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

So I sucked it up and faxed a 911 form on 4/25 didnt hear anything back so I faxed it again on 5/2. My husband called on 5/10 and left a message asking did they recieve the faxes. I just recieved a call saying they did get my faxes and they sent a request to IRS on 5/8 to release our funds or communicate as to what needs to be done. Was told the IRS has 30 days to respond…. my 50 day review is over on 5/16 so hopefully they release it.

81. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Thank you!! I did my 1040X and mailed itr and faxed it to my TA so fast!! I really appreciate you Sheila

82. Tfrazier812

Can someone help me please? i am setting up for my husband’s tax payments and it says this ” Direct Debit Installment Agreement ($31.00 user fee applies)”

Does this fee happen every month that you make a payment, or just once?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vickylou: We all mess up, you’re not the only one lol. We’ll get you thru it.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Michelle D: We have a forum that you can go to and discuss topics. https://igotmyrefund.com/forum

85. Vickylou