When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

@Jenny3684: Try calling early on Monday morning, as soon as they open. I wouldn’t consider sending in another return until you can contact someone and see what’s going on, otherwise it could flag it, and you’d be stuck sending in a bunch of things to verify that it is you and not fraud.

2. Jenny3684

Anyone get any updates from mailed in returns? I mailed in my 2018 return, and it was received early april and my transcripts still show a non filer letter… I’ve tried calling a few times, and after waiting almost a hour I get an automated recording saying there’s an abundance of calls and hangs up 😩 I’m due a large refund and almost want to resend it in.. thank is for any updates or advice!

@Kb2066: For quite a few, the 290 comes right before the refund date is issued. Hopefully, its a good sign, fingers crossed.

4. Kb2066

Today my transcripts update to

290 disallowed claim amount $0.00

Does anybody know what this means

@Annaka: If the advocate is trying to expedite it due to a hardship, then she will submit a request to the department holding the return to release the return, and kick out a refund. If there is anything else needed, she will contact you to fax the information in that she may need, but since she didn’t mention it, fingers crossed the refund could be issued within the next week or two. Good luck!

@Bugg99: The 976 is just acknowledging an amended return filed. Good news since it is showing up on the transcript and possibly means they are starting to work on it.

7. Annaka

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows about the tax advocate process ? I had to paper file in July because I never received my IP pin for this year. WMR has never had my info, just says I entered info wrong. I called the irs after 6 weeks but they said they were backed up and give it 6 more weeks, but I called the tax advocate number from here anyway, and they also said they couldn’t do anything yet and for me to call back 6 more weeks.
    I called again Tuesday and they have it. I am going through a hardship so she said they were going to expedite it. She asked me a whole bunch of questions and said someone was going to call me in 5 days. I was so happy they had it I forgot to ask if I needed to do anything or even how long it would be before I get my refund. Does anyone know what usually happens next? Thanks!

8. Bugg99

Had to amend our taxes to get education credits. This morning the as if date changed to 10/26 and there’s a code 976 for duplicate return. Is that normal?

9. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Awesome, glad you got it early. Hopefully I’ll get mine early as well if it all goes well. And you’re welcome :) See you next year 😁

10. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

@Flstalker1185: I got it about noon CST the day before. Thanks again for all the advice, see ya in 3 months

@injuredspousestillwaiting: If it was sent out on Friday, you may see it in the next day or two. First class is running slower than normal in some areas. If you don’t see anything by the middle of next week, I would call.

12. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Did you get your deposit early or on your actual deposit date? Just wondering because I have turbo card as well and curious if I’ll get it earlier or on my DDD if and when I actually get mine.

13. injuredspousestillwaiting

Hello im finally getting my refund with a TA since january .She said it was mailed out the 2nd but i still have not got it should i be worried or am i making myself worried. I just want this tax year to be over

14. JessiMarieEtta

@dakota18: yeah please don’t lose hope bc just last week the rep made us feel like it was more issues , we even had to end the call bc we couldn’t answer the weird questions he wanted to know! Then my husband called Monday and everything had been updated and now we are good to go !

15. dakota18

@JessiMarieEtta: Congratulations thank you sharing every time I want to lose hope some who has mailed forms to the irs gets their refund. I mailed mine in May I called yesterday she just said she doesn’t see them in the system but that doesn’t mean they haven’t received them and she’ll put a note in them system. A true waiting game indeed.

16. JessiMarieEtta

Hey guys ! I had to come on here and give hope to those waiting on their money still.
    My husband and I filed on March 10th .. He got a letter saying tht he needed to provide proof of a previous yr. He sent everything in by mail not fax. The letter came in July.
    We started calling the IRS in Aug & September and when my husband finally got somebody, they explained to him that anything mailed in was going to take them a while …
    I think the guy told him they were on February mail still.
    Fast forward to last week my husband called the IRS again and he got a rude representative, tht asked him a million questions that he hadn’t previously answered…
    So he called again 10/5 and the rep told him that our funds were being released on Wednesday. We also got interest too!
    I went to the where’s my refund site and everything has updated too. It reflects everything the rep told my husband.
    So guys if you’ve done all that you need to do! Know your money is on the way! Thanks to everyone on this site for keeping me sane. I pray that you guys money will also be released soon !

17. mom2ohio

Still no update, still stuck on 09/14/2020, still have code 420. Senator contacted an advocate they told me to amend, did that end of July to the Andover address. Still nothing. Now that my weekly vent and rant session is over back to waiting for Friday to come to bring about a change and I am not holding my breath.

18. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

DDD is Wednesday, when do you think I might see it with turbo card?

@Toenails: You might consider faxing a 911 tax advocate form to your local advocates office. An advocate can contact you after finding out exactly what is going on with your return and help you resolve any issue there may be.

20. Hillary kilpatrick

This is correct except I signed up through the green dot app and they already sent me a debit card but my name was spelled wrong on it and it had A $20 fee on top of that so I was so confused

21. Toenails

I need help! I filed my taxes 2/29/20 and paid what I owed the state and have never received my federal refund. In April I had to resend my taxes attaching my health ins I pay out of pocket. Still no refund. In June I received another letter from irs requesting my health ins update so i again redid it because they said they would be taking from my refund if I did not reply in 20 days from receiving this letter. I sent it back 2 days later. Still NO REFUND!!! I’ve called gotten transferred around to talk to a live person who never comes in the phone. Now my daughter is applying for FAFSA for college and the IRS.GOV says they have no taxes for me being filed since 2018 😡😡😡😡. TurboTax shows they were filed and excepted. I’m at a loss where to go and what to do. Can someone help

22. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Congratulations, that’s awesome. Glad you finally got your date. I’m still waiting on mine unfortunately, but at least I get to see that there might still be some hope

@Stever: Congratulations!!!

@Fe!!!!: No, you won’t have to wait until 10/19. The 846 is your refund date. Congratulations to you!!!

25. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

846 for 10/07! Thanks again y’all and good luck

26. Fe!!!!

Hello everyone , here is my update just check my transcript and my date change to 10/19 however I I finally got 846 and 776 but it say refund issued 10/7 but it’s states exam close 10/19. So do that mean I want get my refund until after 10/19? But THANK GOD ITS OVER AND ITS COMING WITH $141 INTEREST I AM PRAYING FOR YALL WHO IS GOING THROUGH THIS IRS MESS REALLY I AM HONESTLY PRAYING FOR U ALL!!!

27. stever4

@Flstalker1185: I thought about you when I posted. I got a TA in June I believe and just approved now. Things are moving faster now then they were back then though. I called the 1800 ta line and they gave me one from out of state. Just had to say I’d be evicted in the next 2 months if I didn’t get help. Hang in there, they are starting to move

28. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Congratulations, very happy for you. I’m still waiting with no change for me yet. How long ago did you get the TA and how long did it take before they got your refund approved? I was trying to be patient and optimistic and hope my wait would be over soon too, but after this long and letters saying they need more time and they “should be done by August 22 and then September 26” I’m just getting tired of waiting and tired of their games. I’ve been patient. I followed their instructions and Haven’t called them once because I didn’t want to “look desperate.” I just don’t see what could take that damn long. It’s going on 9 friggin months…

@Stever: Awesome news. Lets hope Friday it will update to a refund date.

30. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

My as of date changed to October 12th, no refund date yet though

31. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

TA called and refund was approved! Finally. Thanks for Another year of help sheila

32. Daylight

Here’s my update check on Friday I was still stuck on as of August 31
    I checked today it updated to
    As of September 14 which is still a past date so I just don’t know what this means or what’s going on any one have any idea??

33. Fe!!!!

Hello all, update my As of Date went from October 5 to October 12. Ughhhhhhh! Idk if dat good r bad but what I do know is dat I need my refund!!!!

@dakota18: You might consider contacting an advocate. They may be able to help you. Fax a 911 form in to your local office.

35. Mrs .Londa

Just checked WMR got a direct deposit date for September 30 now I want to know when will I receive my stimulus check? How long after will I receive my stimulus check please tell me someone.

36. dakota18

IRS you win I officially give up! My 2019 refund is on hold because they need my 2014 return which was mailed in May still says not received can’t call they just transfer you to a number that disconnects this is just insane.

37. Ree Ree

Just checking wmr and I went from still being to being processed. I pray I update soon been waiting since 2/10

38. AndyPanda

I am trying to find information on changes for 2020 to how a dependent child is taxed on unearned income. The IRS website is still giving information from 2019. Some other articles indicate that the kiddie tax laws were repealed at the end of 2019 and for 2020 it will be figured at pre-TCJA rates.

I want to know what is the max unearned income (Capital Gains from stocks) a child can earn in 2020 without paying taxes on it?
    Can they take the standard deduction and not pay taxes if their total income (all from long term capital gains) is under $12,400? And can the parents still claim them as dependents?

Or what is the threshold for 2020 where the child will not pay taxes on income from Capital Gains?

39. Annaka

I was wondering if anyone had an estimate on how log it take the irs to process paper filed returns. I didn’t get my IP pin for 2020 so I couldn’t efile, and I sent it in on July 15. I usually efile, but everything has been crazy this year. I know they are backed up, but has anyone paper filed and got their refund? Also, can you tell me how long before it showed up on wmr. My info still isn’t showing up on wmr or the irs computers. I sent it certified mail, so I know they have had it since July 15. Thanks.

@Mjjb: If calling doesn’t help, consider getting an advocate to help you. You can fax a 911 advocate request form to a local advocate’s office.

@Mjjb: Call this number and see if they can give you any idea what is going on. (800) 829-0582 Ext. 652

42. Mjjb

I filed in February and still have not received my income tax check! Please help me. I do t know what to do!

43. Mjjb

I filed in February and still have not received my income tax check!!! What number can I call to speak to someone about this!?

@gottahavemytaxmoney!: Go to Irs.gov get trancript. It will give you to option to make an online account to view them, or you can order a transcript by mail.

@Mbry0625: Doing well, how are you and the family?

46. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Hey lady how’s it going???

47. Help!!!!

@Fe!!!!: the as of date moving out and “sticking” meaning the date doesn’t move back to original date. That means they are working on it.

48. Fe!!!!

Hello, so I just check my transcript and I now have an as of date of October 5 do that mean anything? I tried to log on to where my refund and it keep saying can’t provide information at this time.

49. Anna Mae

My refund will hit on the 23rd… im so happy.. the wait is over.. im praying for everybody that’s waiting

@Help!!!!: Wonderful news, thank you for letting us know. Always so nice to see someone seeing a refund date. Congratulations and I’m so happy for you.

51. Help!!!!

@Sheila_33: hello, just wanted to give you a update. I Filed January18th. I didn’t realize that I needed to send an 88862 form, I sent it certified mail IRS received it March 13 I had no changes . Until last week on my transcripts showed a amendment filed in March and today I got my refund release date for next week. Thank you for being so helpful and understanding when we’re a little frustrated and confused and walking us though this process. Thank you again

52. Anna Mae

So.. i ordered tax transcripts and my amended was processed on Aug 3, and got sent to the exam department on Aug 21… so hopefully I get my refund soon… and i hope everyone else does to.. its been a long year.. im just relieved to know something about whats going on

53. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

I just remembered I never claimed my one kid for tax year 2017 I believe. Is that an amendable issue? She was born in December 2017 and I didn’t have her social yet so I filed without her

54. Anna Mae

@Burke Dennings: Correct but the irs told me I didn’t have to amend come to find out I did… its a chance that my original could be processed before my amended return. If I didn’t contact a TA I would be clueless as to whats going on. Im assuming you probably received yours

55. Burke Dennings

@Anna Mae: your return got held for a reason hence why you had to file a Form 1040X to Andover. The timeframe is 60 days from when received. So 2 months from July 31st

56. Anna Mae

This is for the people thats still waiting.. I’ve filed my taxes at the end of January.. i was accepted 3 days later. A week or so later I received my state refund. Feb 19th I received a 60 day notice , boom covid hit.. i called the irs in Apr…i believed they was shut down.. so I called back towards the end of May, they stated I didn’t need to do anything, they said since covid hit give them another 60 days, I never received a stimulus either. Due to them not processing my tax refund.. end of June I contacted my senator. I got a Ta.. the Ta contacted me a few weeks later He stated that one of my w2s had a minor math error. I amended it and it got to Andover Mass on July 31st. He closed the case out.. here it is September goin into October have not received a letter or anything October will be 180, they have time to mail out millions of letters stating people need to file for they stimulus but can’t mail us info about our refund.. the irs has failed us miserably. Then they get mad when you call about the money you worked so hard for.. i will call every day if I have to.. but they sit here and give money to people who falsely claim taxes.. im hurt and upset .. its not fair for us hard working people

@Shan: The “as of” date moving means something is going on with the processing of the return. It may be trying to resolve an issue by that date or kick out the refund. Really depends on what’s going it and how much manual review needs to be done.

@davipianos: Consider faxing a 911 advocate request form in. They can contact you and at least let you know what’s going on and if there’s anything you can do.

59. davipianos

I filed electronically with turbo tax and my federal return was accepted on March 1, 2020. It has been now over 6 months and the “where’s my refund” tool continues to tell me that my “tax return is still being processed”. I have tried calling the IRS several times but even if I get someone live, they disconnect me. Beyond frustrated here!!

60. Busymom4
      Ohio
    • TT 152, TC 570, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yes the as of date is now 9-14-2020 and the 290 code has 20203505 on it. Hopefully that means some kind of stimulus movement.

@Busymom4: Some people reported getting a 290 code and then a week later updated to a refund date. Not sure how that may work on a stimulus payout, but you might check and see if a 2020 has popped up on your tax account and if the “as of” date has changed and pushed out on the account transcript.

@Mrs. Londa: I believe it can be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. Really depends on how quick they can get it entered into the system and update it on the transcript.

63. Mrs. Londa

When you sign a agreement from Audit department and agree to the amount how long does it takes for you to get your refund and stimulus check?

64. Busymom4
      Ohio
    • TT 152, TC 570, Weekly

Ok I have a question hopefully someone might know how to answer. I had to file an amended return and got my return in April but have yet to receive my stimulus. Every time I call they say it was postponed but not sure why and can’t tell me anything. Well my account transcript updated today with code 290 additional tax assessed and I’m not sure why or what that means

65. Calowe

I’m from MS filed Jan received 60 day review in Feb. Call in April no response. Tried TA in May no help. Got in touch with IRS thru stimulus dept since I haven’t received it either and was put on another 60 day review. None of this makes any since to me. If they’re working from why not just hit the release button for all errors since a pandemic is going on!!!!

66. going2needBIGGERboat

@Cw: i file in early march 2018 ,2017 paper same envelope. Both were refund.just got 2018 still waiting on 2017,still behind in bills and rent,was going to use to catch up on bills before covid,I try calling ,state rep etc,etc.and no reply.another thing i recieveed a check ,no bank deposit ,even know i ask 4 dd,HOPEFULLY you won’t be waiting long, but is a mess,3 days later after receiving 2018 refund check ,a letter came saying i will be getting a check and no dd ?? I never got a callback ,email,or letter from irs ,wmr ,transcript not 100.SO stay on them get a TA because things get lost or need more info,and resent .HOPEFULLY YOUR JOURNEY SHORT WITH THE IRS on your 2017,2018 Refund

67. Londa

68. Fe!!!!

@Sheila_33: Thank you she said it’s an audit for dependants and she they receive my documents on July 1 but they have ppl the sent in documents back in February so it’s real just a wait game bc the C-19 and she also send she in a request but she is not scheduled to contact me again tell November. 10 but if she here anything she will let me know. But I pray something happ this weekend but if not where do I find the national ta hotline number at?

@Mom2ohio: You’re welcome. I’m happy I can help. My situation was the same 2 years ago, over 36 years of filing and never got an audit. Started working for myself, and got slapped with an audit the first year I filed self employed.

@Mom2ohio: Yes, its normal. The system will try to resolve the 420, but since its got to be manually addressed, it will try to push out and then snap back because there is nothing it can do. After a few cycles, it will stop trying. Once it gets resolved manually, the “as of” date will push out around 2 and 1/2 weeks and then the transcript will update shortly after with the 421 release code and a 848 refund code.

@Fe!!!!: If you don’t see any changes this coming week, call the national advocate hotline and ask to speak to a supervisor to see if you can get any information. Normally, when an advocate contacts you, they can tell you what the hold up is, and what you need to do to resolve it.

72. Fe!!!!

I finally heard from a TA and she stated that she filed asking see to what was the hold up on my refund, but also I will hear from her again November 10 she states 60 days I have I have to give her. Now I am like what was the use of a TA irs sent a letter stating September 14 for a response. Idk no more!! Any advice would be appreciated

73. Lisa Skinner

Hey All,
    I filed injured spouse for 2018,2019 and all income earned was mine,i called the 1-800# and had NO offsets for my ss # they took our 2400 for hubs child support arrears ,California I have not seen any $$ coming my way yet fingers crossed 🤞🙏

74. Fix this Lord!!!

Good Morning everyone. I initially filed in Feb, I found out through Congressman that got me a TA that i have to amend, I did and IRS received it in April..Got another TA through Congressman again in May, no help, he closed the case. In early August got another TA, he told me to get my preparer to Amend for me online, preparer says he is unable to do so with software. Call Amend return # this morning and finally my Amend return is showing up in the system and its not being processed, I was told it could take until December. I rebuke those words. After showing up in the system, does anyone know how long it takes for a date?

@Help!!: If you can log into your social security account, you can check and see if her wages have been sent in and updated. If not, that’s most likely the reason that the return is being held, and you will need to contact the accountant again to insist they be sent in again.

76. dylynne

@Help!!: have you checked your transcripts yet. You can check the wage transcript and see if its showing. You can contact your congressman or woman and they can help. It’s alot easier for you to get in contact with them than a tax advocate. Also they move faster

77. Help!!

I have been waiting for my refund for months. I finally got ahold of a person at irs they told me my wife and my w2s had not been sent in by our employers. My wife works for a large company and my bosses accountant swears she sent mine in. Is there anything i can do

78. NOTINKANSAS

is 2017 a problem year for tax refund ,been patient, going on 8mo
    still notting on wmr or transcript

@dylynne: Wonderful news! Congrats!