When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

@Flstalker1185: Also, since you have access to your transcripts, go back and look at the 2017, 2018 account transcripts. See if any codes have been added there like a 290 unreported income, etc. Sometimes a previous years transcript can pop up with codes, so just check and see if there’s been any changes.

@Flstalker1185: Fax a 911 form to your local advocates office. Best way to get one since the fax is proof you’re requesting one.
    Here is the social security link:
    A social security online account is the best way to keep track of your earnings and see what you’ll eventually receive when you retire.
    Good luck and keep us updated.

3. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: I’m definitely going to now. I was trying to be patient and let It clear up on its own, but obviously it’s only gotten worse. How do I go about getting an advocate? I have access to my transcripts, so far no update as of yet to see all the new codes and stuff I’m guessing there will be now that they finished reviewing it. Also, how do I check the social security website?

@Flstalker1185: You really need to consider contacting the advocates office. This sounds like a screwed up mess that’s going to linger on until someone steps in directly and clears it up. Are you able to go online to the social security site and see what kind of income thats being reported there? Forgive me for not remembering but are you able to access transcripts online? If so, I would also go back and look to see if there are any variances in those returns. Sounds like they’ve definitely made a mistake on their end, and I would be gathering up everything I could to prove they are wrong. Keep me updated please. Sending positive thoughts your way.

5. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: thank you, I appreciate it.. I certainly do too. The thing that bothers me is that I can’t understand how they suddenly think I’d owe them half what I made last year. Even if they reverse my filing to single, how does someone in my tax bracket of like 21k have to now owe over 10k in taxes??? It’s just extremely bizarre to me. I know you would rather us not post intimate details like that, but its the only way I can explain my situation. Another thing that I found odd in my packet is a copy of a form 6251 filled out with figures I’ve never seen and something about capital gains and alternative minimum tax computation that I don’t think has absolutely anything to do with me because I only have a simple return. Just a single W2, no other income, no interest from bank accounts, no stocks, bonds, dividends.. I honestly think they got my paperwork mixed up or something

@neeko.: Its rare but it happens, lol. Congratulations to you!

@Flstalker1185: I hope things are ok. I believe you can send in a form disagreeing with the findings and you will most likely have to provide proof of the earnings and the child credits you claimed are yours. I would consider an advocate to at least give you some sort of idea how you can resolve the situation. I’m sorry to hear you’re having to deal with this. Good luck and please let us know how things are going.

8. SoOverTaxSeason

@Just FED UP!!!: hello. I’m just curious….. Did u have any help pushing it through? A TA? Or anything like that? Did you amend? Or did it just come out the blue?

9. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

Does anyone know what a letter will say if they’re denying your refund? I’m pretty sure I received a packet today from the irs and it’s stating that I owe a lot in taxes now and they’re disallowing my Eic, child tax credit and head of household filing status, but I’m not 100% sure. The amount they’re claiming I owe is literally the equivalent of half of what I made last year. Even if I filed single this year, there’s no way I’d owe that much in taxes. I really need help figuring out if this letter is saying I owe all this money and how the heck they came up with this figure to begin with.

10. neeko.

@Sheila_33: nope, not the original return. I waited until after the original was processed and refunded before sending it. Not complaining though because I moved after sending in the amendment and was nervous about the mailed check getting lost!

11. Just FED UP!!!

Just a quick UPDATE..For those of you that is owned Refund and Stimulus you will get both. Last week Wednesday I received Refund and this morning the Stimulus is deposited. Not to worry its coming

@neeko.: If the amended processed as the original return, then most of the time its direct deposited. If the amended processed after the original return was processed, a lot of times its a check.

13. neeko.

so my amended return just got direct deposited into my account…kind of weird because I thought those were always sent via check?

@NettaBoo87: Congratulations!!!

15. BJAY
      Chase

@Cajun_guy: I have the same question i didn’t see a reply, it was entered on 10/21 and accepted the same day just wondering when it will update?

16. Raggedy Angie

I sent my taxes off and they are done on paper. I sent them April 27,2020 and almost 6 months later no refund.

I haven’t received the first stimulus check neither.

WHERE IS MY MONEY?

17. Anita

@neeko.: I got a letter august 30 stating they owed me a refund after my amended return and I still don’t have it I called tax advocates line they couldn’t tell me why my money hasn’t been released but she sent a referral for it to be released within a couple weeks so I’m waiting as well

18. neeko.

So I filed an amendment in March, it shows completed as of August 14th. I tried calling the number it shows with an extension of 633, its not the correct department. That is actually the collections group so that is a waste. Today I tried the trick mentioned about the 652 extension and was told my amendment was finally actually processed October 6th so it will mail out as soon as it posts to my account in a couple of weeks. I guess slow progress is better than no progress. I am guessing the August 14th completion date was just them going “yup, ok, you filled this out correctly and we owe you money”. My transcript as of October 12th doesn’t show anything, go figure.

19. Amended sense Mar

Hi everyone how do I get someone at IRS been waiting sense March for amended I tried 653 and 623 nothing

20. Just FED UP!!!

@Nu old: ..O my goodness!!!…Did you try reaching out to your local Congressman/ woman office?

21. Nu old

@Just FED UP!!!: my advocate has had my info since July and is refusing to help me. I filed feb 17th and I’m still
    Waiting. I even called her boss and he told me I possibly have to wait till the middle of next year

22. Cajun_guy

Good evening I just submitted the non filer stimulus payment form. I was wondering if anyone knows the time frame for them to send out a payment. I didn’t know if it was the same kind of time frame as regular refunds or if it was quicker thanks for any info.

23. SoOverTaxSeason

Is there anyway to view transcripts online if you don’t have a credit card, student loan, etc.?

24. dakota18

@Ashes: Congratulations! My God I hope they will do the same for me. Do you know if you owed for any of those previous years you didn’t file?

25. Just FED UP!!!

@GoBlue: I believe the reason for that is, because the Congressman’s Office stepped in. The Rep. from his office was the one that emailed me back after signing a form that an advocate will be in contact with me within 72hrs. Sure enough it was. i think that’s how it works, if the Congressman’s Office contacts them, they have to open a case.

26. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@Just FED UP!!!: you got lucky then. The national tax advocate line is telling me that TA’s don’t deal with amended returns and that they can’t help speed them along any faster. That I have to wait the full 16 weeks

@Ashes: Congratulations!

28. Ashes

Filed early February. Had a hold on my account for not filing a prior year. I still didnt file those years taxes because i couldnt find or obtain my 1099 for that year. This morning i woke up to a DDD of 10/21!! Thank god!

These links are for the 911 tax advocate request form that you can fax in and a list of your local advocates office that you can fax the 911 form to.

30. Just FED UP!!!

Also, for those still waiting and cannot get to an advocate, please to call the IRS and tell them, they will referral them to you and call you within 3 business days. At that time you answer all numbers you don’t recognize, its one of them calling. Please start dialing those number a minute before they open. Its the only way you get someone in seconds

31. Just FED UP!!!

Woke up this morning with a 846 Refund Issued, Thank You Lord!!!!!!. I have been waiting since I filed Feb 6…I file every since year and this is the first time my Tax Preparer made an error on my taxes and I had to Amend, In which they received it in April. After 3 different Tax Advocates, My Local Congressman’s Office, Call IRS over 60 times, No Stimulus and No Refund. This was a long journey. They gave me interest. Again thank you Lord!!!…Please get an Advocate they were the ones that helped pushed me through. He told me the first week of September that I will update on the 16th October, I didn’t believe him because the date was so far away when he told me. All I can say, now is the time I really needed this funds. Get an Advocate if you are still waiting. Now to find out about my first stimulus. Have a Blessed day Everyone!!!

32. Stillnorefund

I am a foster mom, when I filed my taxes early February My refund was rejected because somebody had already filed for my foster daughter which she had been in my home 10 months. I had to mail my returns but then this whole pandemic happened and everything just stopped. I still have not received my refund I contacted the IRS two months ago and they said that I should receive my refund in a month which I still have not received. I tried calling the 800 number again but I was transferred and shortly after was disconnected because the wait was too long. Does anyone have a good number I can call?

@SoOverTaxSeason: I think you have a chance of getting your refund eventually without a TA, as long as the employer gets that w2 sent in but a TA would be quicker, if you can get one. A TA could possibly bypass the w2 with a copy of your earnings that you have. You can also contact the Irs and request a Form 4852. The form 4852 is basically your estimation of your wages from that employer and they will request proof you may have from work stubs. The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
    You might try faxing a 911 request form to your local tax advocate office. They’ll contact you within a week, after looking at your situation, and give you some options, whether you decide to use them or not.

In your position, I think I would fax a request for an advocate, and I would also call and request a 4852 form, just in case the employer doesn’t get the information submitted. If it turns out she gets it submitted, then even better but at least you will have done all you can do. Good luck!

34. SoOverTaxSeason

Hello. I filed my taxes in Feb. It is Oct. I have tried to get in touch with a TA, no luck. I called so many times, left so many voicemails. I have called the irs. Last thing they told me is that my 3rd 60 day review is up on Oct 12th. But I guess my old employer may have gotten an extension, so they don’t see the info from her. The extension for her ends Oct 15th. I am curious to know, if I still have a chance of getting it without a TA. I am so confused about all of this. I have never been thru this before.

@Kb2066: The 0 balance beside the 290 gives me hope, so I guess its a wait and see what happens this Friday.

36. Kb2066

@Sheila_33: no I have not received a CP2AA letter. I check my transcripts every Friday and the 290 appeared just this past Friday. So if I do receive one it probably will take a week or two. No 971 notice sent code either

37. Jameen
      BANK OF AMERICA
    • W2
    • Weekly, Daily

I have a question to went to irs.gov to check on the status of my refund Monday morning it said We are sorry Where’s My Refund is currently unavailable. Please try
    Then it said the same thing Saturday morning. Mind you when I fax over some documents over to my tax advocate supervisor it said that same thing Saturday morning. So my question is , is it possible that I could finally get my 2018 refund this Tuesday or Wednesday? I know this Monday is a holiday. Please

@Kb2066: Have you received a CP2AA notice? Is there a 971 notice sent code on the transcript?

39. Kb2066

@Sheila_33: there are two different 290 codes. One for tax assessment and then mine, disallowed claim. Disallow means to not approve. Kinda hard to hope for something good with a word that means that