When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

@gottahavemytaxmoney!: If the audit is looking at your dependents or income, then you may not be able to get a stimulus until that audit is completed. Try calling this number to see if they can give you any information. 800-919-9835 If you filed 2018 taxes with no issues, they may be able to go with that year. I’m not sure, but you could give it a try. Good luck!

@Ectatic-N-Confused: They will not forward refund checks unfortunately. If they are undeliverable to the address on the envelope, they will return to the treasury. You might call and see if they could give you any information on what you need to do to get it sent to your current address. 800-829-1954

3. gottahavemytaxmoney!

Any news on stimulus… my amended return got held up during the shut down.. and then when they reopen around july and August.. it went straight into audit… and my tax advocates tell me there’s nothing they can do I still haven’t received a refund nor a stimulus and I’m trying to find what I can do to at least get a stimulus

4. Ecstatic-N-Confused

Hey I’ve been following this forum for a while now and it’s been really helpful and insightful, but my question is for anyone who filed a paper return and have gotten it back, about how long did it take? The reason I ask is because I’m in North Carolina and it’s stating on WMR my check was mailed out on 11/06/2020 but since then I’ve moved and had all my mail General Delivery to post office but when I went to pick up my mail they had none and said that if I had a refund check coming it got sent back because they don’t forward Irs refund checks so I googled and the envelope doesn’t have DO NOT FORWARD on the front and why would they send it back automatically without giving me time to come and retrieve it, I honestly feel like she was just being lazy and didn’t wanna look but did it take days or weeks after mailed out date?

@SoOverTaxSeason: Its a wonderful site, got me thru an audit and a review. Hang in there, hopefully soon, and we’ll be waiting for an update.

6. SoOverTaxSeason

@Sheila_33: thank you for all of your help and advice. This site has given me hope , many times when my hope had run dry. This is an amazing site. I just can’t wait for the day to post that I finally got my refund. Haha. ❤

@SoOverTaxSeason: I don’t blame you, I’d do the same. Hopefully you’ll see it soon.

8. SoOverTaxSeason

@Sheila_33: the amount wouldn’t make much of a difference. The advocate said I may get a little more, but at this point I could careless about more. I just want any refund. I’d probably get $100 more. Not worth the longer wait to me.

@SmhTaxes: I would really consider getting an advocate and try to get this straightened out before next filing season. You’re going to have to prove the children are rightfully your exemptions, and to get it done quicker, an advocate may be the best way to go. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to your local advocates office. Good luck!

@SoOverTaxSeason: Is the amount on the w2 added to your yearly earnings going to change the amount of the refund you’re supposed to receive? If not, it may not be an issue, but if it does, you may want to amend. If it looks like your refund is coming soon, you can amend after you receive it. Sometimes unreported income can pop up later in the year, and the transcript will update to a 922, and if the amount is not enough to change the amount of the refund that has been issued, it won’t make a difference.

11. SmhTaxes

Filed through mail march 17th. Accepted july 15th. Called the irs and was told due to duplicate return. (i had no choice but to use the non filers tool to get a stimulus because my mother claimed my children unrightfully and i had to keep my light bill paid smh)…the irs told me it takes 16 weeks to get it straightened out. 16 weeks ended on november 4th. All my bars on wmr disappeared and nothing has updated at all. Meanwhile all the irs is concerned with is just the duplicate return and not the fact that all this is caused by my mother claiming my children who have been with me since birth smh. Does anyone know what i should do? I usually efile and idk how im going to even be able to get a refund for 2021 if i cant even get my refund for 2020. Smh any advice please….btw this is not an ammended return im asking about.

12. SoOverTaxSeason

I finally have a tax advocate, who found a missing w2 form in my file. (The company I worked for switched owners and ended up having separate w2s.) But I wasn’t aware of that. She told me to amend. But she also said there is a chance the irs may not even make it a big deal because its under $2000. What would anyone recommend at this point? I filed in Feb, moved, so i never received that other w2. Had no clue. I’ve looked online and saw that you should only amend though, once u receive notice from the IRS to do so. So basically get the return, then from there see what happens. How true is this?

13. Mom2ohio

Little update, nothing new…still stuck on Sept 14 with a 420. Still no sign of my amended return mailed Aug 20. Still no response from the advocates or Sherod Brown’s office. Yeah happy 2020 looks like I can only hope to see my refund in 2021.

@GoBlue: Thank you. :)

15. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@[email protected]: margaret. I’m sorry that you are having trouble an I’m sure someone here can point you in the right direction. This website is a forum to discuss various tax situations and questions. This is NOT the IRS’s website. With that said, please remove your post with your personal information. Posting things like that online can open up a whole can of problems and you place yourself at risk doing so.

If there’s any mods in here to see this, please remove her post.

Again Margaret, your best bet would be to contact a tax advocate. They should be able to help assist with the process and provide much needed answers regarding your case

Here’s the number and good luck! . 1-877-777-4778

18. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: just got my amended return check today in the mail. Stimulus should be next week hopefully. Keep your heads up everyone

@GoBlue: Let’s hope so. This year has been miserable.

20. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: I filed my return sep 3rd via online. IRS accepted my return on sept 9th. As off October 30th, there was code 766 with the adjusted amount next to it, and an as of date of nov 16th. Where’s my amended refund updated today with the adjusted message. I should have my funds within the next 3 weeks if it all goes smoothly

@Amy19: I honestly don’t know how quick they will get the amended done but I have seen people file the next year and still see their return processed and a refund issued. Hang in there, they are just so far behind. Nice and pleasant here, but I’m watching a tropical system coming up from the south and 2020 has not been normal, lol. Nice to see ya.

22. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@Just FED UP!!!…not Anymore: did you receive your stimulus and amended funds via check or direct deposit?

23. Amy19
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Sheila_33: still waiting on movement, amendment still as of August 17th, 971& 977 as of 3/5/20. Will this clear itself before next tax season? Will it hold up the 2020? Last time I called, they were rude, said it takes atleast 16 weeks. Blue & sunny here, hope it is at your house too!

@Flstalker1185: when you’re able to access the ssa site, let me know if the sites wages and your return are matching up.

25. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: I don’t think anyone did, but I’ll create an account and look. I sent them a copy of my only w2 from my employer when I sent in all my proof in March, but I’ll send another if you think I should.. I really hope I can get this all sorted out 😞

@SoOverTaxSeason: you might call as soon as they open tomorrow and see if they can get you to the department you need to get the fax number.

@Flstalker1185: I’m sure notebook paper would be fine. Explain that you have no business earnings. Also,, send any copies of your w2s, anything that proves your income for the year. Is there any way someone could have used your social for a business account? And were you able to access your earnings on the ssa account? Any 1099’s anywhere showing up? Sounds like a major screw up on their part. I hope that advocate contacts you soon.

28. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: @Sheila_33: I faxed my form 911 yesterday and today I’m trying to write out my appeal letter. I’m not really sure what exactly to write in it. I checked my transcripts for all the previous years like you said and there were no new codes added to any of them. Is it ok to write on regular notebook paper? I don’t have a computer or printer to type it up on. Am I supposed to send in more “proof” when I fax the letter over or will I have more time to hunt for more receipts and letters from last year? I also realized when I found my original letter about my audit, when they listed the things they were auditing me for the last one was “business income”. I had no business income.. I have no clue why that’s even listed. I logged back into turbo tax and viewed my forms and nothing there lists anything about business income.

29. SoOverTaxSeason

Good morning. I wanted to know since the irs is waiting for income verification from my employer, is there a main fax number to send that info in?

30. Just FED UP!!!...not Anymore

@SoOverTaxSeason: …Yes I had a TA, 3 to be exact throughout this process alongside Local Congressman’s Office. I Amended, my preparer made a digit mistake on my taxes. They told me when you amend its a two part process 971 and 970. So on my taxes I see that it was adjusted and fowarded to another department, after that i waited 3 weeks to get 746 or 846 I forgot, then following week Stimulus

@Annaka: Both messages have updated to refund dates in the past, but we’ve never found a set pattern for either message since for some it has just been a holding message. If your TA said you were finished and just waiting for it to update, you may not have caught the cycle in time to update to a refund, so hopefully next update you’ll see the Wmr update to a refund date. Any movement on the Wmr reflects some kind of movement on the transcript, so its definitely a good sign. Good luck!

32. Annaka

@Carlos danger: yes, I get that part. But how long before it will give me a date and why don’t I have any bars? I’ve never had any bars on wmr, my info just showed up on wmr yesterday and I filed months ago. I thought someone on here once said that there’s a difference between it saying “it’s being processed” and “it’s STILL being processed”

33. Annaka

Hello i was wondering if anyone knows what it means when wmr say your return is still being processed and a refund date will be provided when available. No tt152 and no bars. Today was the first time wmr has even acknowledged my information. I paper filed in july and the irs didnt have anything on my return. I got a tax advocate and on oct. 5 they said they finally had it, but still nothing on wmr. Fri. my Tax advocate said they couldn’t do anything until it update in their system and that she would call back next week. Well this morning wmr finally has my info, but instead of the one bar and the your refund is being processed it says Its still being processed, no bars and no taxtopic. What does it usually mean when it says this?Thanks

@Flstalker1185: Also, since you have access to your transcripts, go back and look at the 2017, 2018 account transcripts. See if any codes have been added there like a 290 unreported income, etc. Sometimes a previous years transcript can pop up with codes, so just check and see if there’s been any changes.

@Flstalker1185: Fax a 911 form to your local advocates office. Best way to get one since the fax is proof you’re requesting one.
    Here is the social security link:
    A social security online account is the best way to keep track of your earnings and see what you’ll eventually receive when you retire.
    Good luck and keep us updated.

36. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: I’m definitely going to now. I was trying to be patient and let It clear up on its own, but obviously it’s only gotten worse. How do I go about getting an advocate? I have access to my transcripts, so far no update as of yet to see all the new codes and stuff I’m guessing there will be now that they finished reviewing it. Also, how do I check the social security website?

@Flstalker1185: You really need to consider contacting the advocates office. This sounds like a screwed up mess that’s going to linger on until someone steps in directly and clears it up. Are you able to go online to the social security site and see what kind of income thats being reported there? Forgive me for not remembering but are you able to access transcripts online? If so, I would also go back and look to see if there are any variances in those returns. Sounds like they’ve definitely made a mistake on their end, and I would be gathering up everything I could to prove they are wrong. Keep me updated please. Sending positive thoughts your way.

38. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Sheila_33: thank you, I appreciate it.. I certainly do too. The thing that bothers me is that I can’t understand how they suddenly think I’d owe them half what I made last year. Even if they reverse my filing to single, how does someone in my tax bracket of like 21k have to now owe over 10k in taxes??? It’s just extremely bizarre to me. I know you would rather us not post intimate details like that, but its the only way I can explain my situation. Another thing that I found odd in my packet is a copy of a form 6251 filled out with figures I’ve never seen and something about capital gains and alternative minimum tax computation that I don’t think has absolutely anything to do with me because I only have a simple return. Just a single W2, no other income, no interest from bank accounts, no stocks, bonds, dividends.. I honestly think they got my paperwork mixed up or something

@neeko.: Its rare but it happens, lol. Congratulations to you!

@Flstalker1185: I hope things are ok. I believe you can send in a form disagreeing with the findings and you will most likely have to provide proof of the earnings and the child credits you claimed are yours. I would consider an advocate to at least give you some sort of idea how you can resolve the situation. I’m sorry to hear you’re having to deal with this. Good luck and please let us know how things are going.

41. SoOverTaxSeason

@Just FED UP!!!: hello. I’m just curious….. Did u have any help pushing it through? A TA? Or anything like that? Did you amend? Or did it just come out the blue?

42. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

Does anyone know what a letter will say if they’re denying your refund? I’m pretty sure I received a packet today from the irs and it’s stating that I owe a lot in taxes now and they’re disallowing my Eic, child tax credit and head of household filing status, but I’m not 100% sure. The amount they’re claiming I owe is literally the equivalent of half of what I made last year. Even if I filed single this year, there’s no way I’d owe that much in taxes. I really need help figuring out if this letter is saying I owe all this money and how the heck they came up with this figure to begin with.

43. neeko.

@Sheila_33: nope, not the original return. I waited until after the original was processed and refunded before sending it. Not complaining though because I moved after sending in the amendment and was nervous about the mailed check getting lost!

44. Just FED UP!!!

Just a quick UPDATE..For those of you that is owned Refund and Stimulus you will get both. Last week Wednesday I received Refund and this morning the Stimulus is deposited. Not to worry its coming

@neeko.: If the amended processed as the original return, then most of the time its direct deposited. If the amended processed after the original return was processed, a lot of times its a check.

46. neeko.

so my amended return just got direct deposited into my account…kind of weird because I thought those were always sent via check?

@NettaBoo87: Congratulations!!!

48. BJAY
      Chase

@Cajun_guy: I have the same question i didn’t see a reply, it was entered on 10/21 and accepted the same day just wondering when it will update?

49. Raggedy Angie

I sent my taxes off and they are done on paper. I sent them April 27,2020 and almost 6 months later no refund.

I haven’t received the first stimulus check neither.

WHERE IS MY MONEY?

50. Anita

@neeko.: I got a letter august 30 stating they owed me a refund after my amended return and I still don’t have it I called tax advocates line they couldn’t tell me why my money hasn’t been released but she sent a referral for it to be released within a couple weeks so I’m waiting as well

51. neeko.

So I filed an amendment in March, it shows completed as of August 14th. I tried calling the number it shows with an extension of 633, its not the correct department. That is actually the collections group so that is a waste. Today I tried the trick mentioned about the 652 extension and was told my amendment was finally actually processed October 6th so it will mail out as soon as it posts to my account in a couple of weeks. I guess slow progress is better than no progress. I am guessing the August 14th completion date was just them going “yup, ok, you filled this out correctly and we owe you money”. My transcript as of October 12th doesn’t show anything, go figure.

52. Amended sense Mar

Hi everyone how do I get someone at IRS been waiting sense March for amended I tried 653 and 623 nothing

53. Just FED UP!!!

@Nu old: ..O my goodness!!!…Did you try reaching out to your local Congressman/ woman office?

54. Nu old

@Just FED UP!!!: my advocate has had my info since July and is refusing to help me. I filed feb 17th and I’m still
    Waiting. I even called her boss and he told me I possibly have to wait till the middle of next year

55. Cajun_guy

Good evening I just submitted the non filer stimulus payment form. I was wondering if anyone knows the time frame for them to send out a payment. I didn’t know if it was the same kind of time frame as regular refunds or if it was quicker thanks for any info.

56. SoOverTaxSeason

Is there anyway to view transcripts online if you don’t have a credit card, student loan, etc.?

57. dakota18

@Ashes: Congratulations! My God I hope they will do the same for me. Do you know if you owed for any of those previous years you didn’t file?

58. Just FED UP!!!

@GoBlue: I believe the reason for that is, because the Congressman’s Office stepped in. The Rep. from his office was the one that emailed me back after signing a form that an advocate will be in contact with me within 72hrs. Sure enough it was. i think that’s how it works, if the Congressman’s Office contacts them, they have to open a case.

59. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@Just FED UP!!!: you got lucky then. The national tax advocate line is telling me that TA’s don’t deal with amended returns and that they can’t help speed them along any faster. That I have to wait the full 16 weeks

@Ashes: Congratulations!

61. Ashes

Filed early February. Had a hold on my account for not filing a prior year. I still didnt file those years taxes because i couldnt find or obtain my 1099 for that year. This morning i woke up to a DDD of 10/21!! Thank god!

These links are for the 911 tax advocate request form that you can fax in and a list of your local advocates office that you can fax the 911 form to.

63. Just FED UP!!!

Also, for those still waiting and cannot get to an advocate, please to call the IRS and tell them, they will referral them to you and call you within 3 business days. At that time you answer all numbers you don’t recognize, its one of them calling. Please start dialing those number a minute before they open. Its the only way you get someone in seconds

64. Just FED UP!!!

Woke up this morning with a 846 Refund Issued, Thank You Lord!!!!!!. I have been waiting since I filed Feb 6…I file every since year and this is the first time my Tax Preparer made an error on my taxes and I had to Amend, In which they received it in April. After 3 different Tax Advocates, My Local Congressman’s Office, Call IRS over 60 times, No Stimulus and No Refund. This was a long journey. They gave me interest. Again thank you Lord!!!…Please get an Advocate they were the ones that helped pushed me through. He told me the first week of September that I will update on the 16th October, I didn’t believe him because the date was so far away when he told me. All I can say, now is the time I really needed this funds. Get an Advocate if you are still waiting. Now to find out about my first stimulus. Have a Blessed day Everyone!!!

65. Stillnorefund

I am a foster mom, when I filed my taxes early February My refund was rejected because somebody had already filed for my foster daughter which she had been in my home 10 months. I had to mail my returns but then this whole pandemic happened and everything just stopped. I still have not received my refund I contacted the IRS two months ago and they said that I should receive my refund in a month which I still have not received. I tried calling the 800 number again but I was transferred and shortly after was disconnected because the wait was too long. Does anyone have a good number I can call?

66. SoOverTaxSeason

@Sheila_33: thank you so so much for that info. I will do those things just so I make sure I have done all possible on my end. @Sheila_33:

@SoOverTaxSeason: I think you have a chance of getting your refund eventually without a TA, as long as the employer gets that w2 sent in but a TA would be quicker, if you can get one. A TA could possibly bypass the w2 with a copy of your earnings that you have. You can also contact the Irs and request a Form 4852. The form 4852 is basically your estimation of your wages from that employer and they will request proof you may have from work stubs. The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
    You might try faxing a 911 request form to your local tax advocate office. They’ll contact you within a week, after looking at your situation, and give you some options, whether you decide to use them or not.

In your position, I think I would fax a request for an advocate, and I would also call and request a 4852 form, just in case the employer doesn’t get the information submitted. If it turns out she gets it submitted, then even better but at least you will have done all you can do. Good luck!

68. SoOverTaxSeason

Hello. I filed my taxes in Feb. It is Oct. I have tried to get in touch with a TA, no luck. I called so many times, left so many voicemails. I have called the irs. Last thing they told me is that my 3rd 60 day review is up on Oct 12th. But I guess my old employer may have gotten an extension, so they don’t see the info from her. The extension for her ends Oct 15th. I am curious to know, if I still have a chance of getting it without a TA. I am so confused about all of this. I have never been thru this before.

@Kb2066: The 0 balance beside the 290 gives me hope, so I guess its a wait and see what happens this Friday.

70. Kb2066

@Sheila_33: no I have not received a CP2AA letter. I check my transcripts every Friday and the 290 appeared just this past Friday. So if I do receive one it probably will take a week or two. No 971 notice sent code either

71. Jameen
      BANK OF AMERICA
    • W2
    • Weekly, Daily

I have a question to went to irs.gov to check on the status of my refund Monday morning it said We are sorry Where’s My Refund is currently unavailable. Please try
    Then it said the same thing Saturday morning. Mind you when I fax over some documents over to my tax advocate supervisor it said that same thing Saturday morning. So my question is , is it possible that I could finally get my 2018 refund this Tuesday or Wednesday? I know this Monday is a holiday. Please

@Kb2066: Have you received a CP2AA notice? Is there a 971 notice sent code on the transcript?

73. Kb2066

@Sheila_33: there are two different 290 codes. One for tax assessment and then mine, disallowed claim. Disallow means to not approve. Kinda hard to hope for something good with a word that means that