When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

@RedDawn: Congratulations to you! Whew, so happy to see you’re almost over with this year.

@Rose1429: If the stimulus went in (Congrats!) then I’m not sure why the return hasn’t been deposited yet. What’s the “as of” date on your account transcript? That’s the date it needs to be deposited by or a check sent out by. I was under an audit 2 years ago, for around 7 months, and my refund was direct deposited on my Bluebird with interest.

3. Rose1429!

@Sheila_33: My stimulus finally went in last night, around 5pm. I just wonder if the tax refund was mailed instead since was a review.

@dylynne: Checks go out usually on Fridays, so hopefully it was posted yesterday and you should see a check in 3 to 5 days, depending on how fast things are moving with the postal service.

@Rose1429!: Check your bank deposit info and make sure the numbers are matching up, and if its a joint return, make sure both names are on the account. I also have bluebird and they normally deposit 2 to 3 days faster.

6. RedDawn

Update! I got an email from my congressman’s assistant and she said I will get my refund by Thursday plus interest! After 8 months of waiting it’s finally happening! Filed 1/28. Got a letter 2/19. Emailed congressman in May and finally getting my refund! I pray for whoever else is waiting that you get your refund very soon!

7. Lalahony38

Filed/accepted 3/31/20. Received 5071C and did online verify 9/4/20. Is this a good sign that things are moving in the right direction? How long will I have to wait now for the refund(estimate)?

8. Mom2ohio

@Sheila_33: i did get an advocate after 6 tries via my senators office. They told me to amend the return and mail it to the Andover address, which I did 2 weeks ago. Today it switched to audit code, so yeah I give up at this point. Let them do what they have to in whatever time, I am just over it. Today I switched to tax exempt status. I get a refund with earned income anyways so might as well not give them a chance to hold any of my paycheck taxes hostage anymore.

9. Rose1429!

I have an 846 with 9/04 on transcript and WMR has 2 bars refund approved. Using bluebird. Nothing yet. Should I be worried? All this after a 8 month review!!!

10. Declansmom77

@Sheila_33: Thanks for all the help! I hope more see movement as well. Now that the IRS is paying out interest, I hope it lights a fire under their bums.

11. Declansmom77

@dylynne: Yes, this morning. I’ve been stuck in nowhere land for 8 months because of an old bankruptcy that someone at the good old IRS forgot to put a code in to close out. Had to wait for the bankruptcy department to open which happened last Wednesday. Took her 5 minutes to enter the code and fix it, and a week and a half for it to update it in the system. Transcripts updated today, now just waiting on WMR and I have amex serve so should get it Tuesday night.

12. dylynne

@AmendedinFL: Your landlord can’t evict you. You can reach out to the courts and let them know. if its failure to pay not anything that is a violent situation you are fine

@mom2ohio: If you haven’t got an advocate, you might consider getting one. I went thru the same 2 years ago. Something as simple as a turbo error might be an easy fix for an advocate.

@Declansmom77: Looks like a direct deposit on the 10th unless you have an early deposit card plus that lovely interest. So happy for you, you’ve been stuck for awhile. Lets hope some more people start seeing some movement soon.

15. mom2ohio

@Anna Mae: Well my codes just changed to a full blown audit, so this should be amusing for a rounding error by turbo tax

16. Anna Mae

@Mom2ohio: im in Ohio as well i sent my amended return off to andover as well. Certified mail. They received it july 31st.. still nothing… i thought contacting my congressman and Ta would help the process go faster. Its just a waiting game

17. Mom2ohio

So my date pushed back to Sept 14 no new codes so no full blown audit yet. Did priority mail my amended return to the Andover address given by my senators office two weeks ago, cant believe I amended for a turbo tax rounding error. But nothing on amended return status so yeap just another week in limbo.

@Fe!!!!: Check your record of account transcript. About a 1/3 of the way down, on the right side, you will see an “as of” date. That date is almost always a Monday date. When that date starts pushing out, something is moving on that return, and the system is giving itself time to resolve before that date. If it sticks, and doesn’t push out, then something has to be done manually to the return to get it moving again.

@Declansmom77: Wonderful news! Congratulations! Yes, you should see an update tomorrow on the Wmr. What’s the date beside the 846? Most likely, you could see a ddd of the 9th.

20. Rahmi

Can anyone please help us with some food? $RahmiSaheed

I have my grandchildren here and we don’t have anything in our fridge for breakfast or lunch. Unfortunately, we didn’t eat dinner last night because we don’t have anything. You can drop some food off or help with a small $2 Cash app donation. Any help will be appreciated!!

Please don’t look down on us. Everyone has fallen off at one time or another.😢

21. Declansmom77

@Sheila_33: Just a happy update. My transcript updated with issue resolved, 846 refund issued, and also they added 88$ interest. Yay!!!! So should WMR update Saturday then? And what DDD should I see? Any ideas?

22. Jameen
      BANK OF AMERICA
    • W2
    • Weekly, Daily

I calked the urs last week they said it will take up to 30 days reissue me my 2018 check. Reason why cause Change of address. The guy let me change my address over the phone. So can anyone relate to this… Is this good news or what ?

23. Fe!!!!

? I must be looking in the wrong place how do I see dates on my transcript? As where to ppl stating that they looking at their transcript and see dates changing and moving. Thank you all in advance

@Topsy: We tried to look at that last year to see if there was a pattern, but there didn’t seem to be an obvious difference. I’ve had my “still being” processed update to a refund date, as well as “it being processed” update to a refund date. I have seen the “still being processed” reflecting the length of time the transcript is in a hold. But, any movement on the Wmr reflects something on the transcript, so if the message changes, its possible there is something going on behind the scenes.

@Fe!!!!: I would call the advocates number and see if its been assigned. The documents you sent in should provide the verification for the credit you’re claiming but since its manually being reviewed it can take longer. An advocate can at least get it looked at faster.

@Anna Mae: I would call the first thing in the morning as soon as they open and see if they can give you an update.

27. Daylight

Ugggg!!! My goodness I just happen to look at my transcript of course the as of date jumped back to August 31 …i called they said the do see my Ammended return was received had to give the since August 1st 16 weeks to process it …but the Ammended is not showing up on my transcript yet. Yep it sounds like Next year before I see last years return.

28. Fe!!!!

@Sheila_33: I filed child tax credit. And yes it’s been over a week. I received a letter two weeks ago stating that they received my documents and they don’t need anything else and give them to September 14 for a response.

29. Anna Mae

@Sheila I have a question.. my amended return isn’t showing up in the system as no record of it…. irs in Andover Mass received it july 31st I sent it certified..should I just wait the 16 or should I call.. My Ta closed my case out once he told me about my minor tax issue.. i need to know if they really got it

30. AmendedinFL

Has anyone else’s landlord told them their lease is not covered by the cares act? My landlord emailed and said this after Florida governor extended eviction ban until October

31. Lisa0727Mem

@Kind of worried: No. My husband’s was taken for IRS debt also. Only for student loans I think

@Kind of worried: You may be able to get an advocate to submit a request for reversal in the event of a hardship.

@Fe!!!!: Did you file with an additional child tax credit or an education credit? If there is no 570, then it looks like the 766 credit code is being looked at. If you faxed in a 911 advocate form and its been more than a week and you haven’t heard anything, I would call and talk to a tax advocate supervisor and find out if one has been assigned.

34. Kind of worried

Please anybody help. If my refund has been taken due to past irs debt, can a ta reverse this??

35. Fe!!!!

I finally got my transcript but there is nothing since 4/15 code 766. What does that mean? Still waiting for a TA

36. Lucy12

Ok wmr status went from 1 bar to no bars saying it’s still being processed and refund date will be provided when available.

is this a good sign y’all? I mean I paper filed back in March and finally got accepted July 15.

37. Anna Mae

I sent my amended refund off in july.. today marks 4 weeks.. its not showing up in the system.. omg… i hate everything about 2020

38. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

Checked my voicemail and TA left me a msg last Tuesday just saying call him back. I called and of course went to his voicemail. I like him but he’s so hard to get hold of. Can’t even guess what he has to say. Probably just that there’s no update yet.

39. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

@Flstalker1185: yeah mine said August 31st. If they don’t resolve it by that date they’ll send another notice with another guess..

40. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Mine did the same thing… I was hopeful this time because the date held all day until about 11pm which is the last time I checked, but snapped back overnight. I did get my mail and received a letter dated August 3 stating they received my documents and needed more time. It said to give them until August 27 which came and went …

41. injuredspousestillwaiting

Filed end of January had as of date April 27 for along time got a TA about 3 weeks ago she said that she is going to put in for a expedite for hardship .Then I checked transcript as of date went to August 24 checked last week nothing so I checked this Friday as of date went to Sept 14 I was thinking great something is finally going on all they have to do is release my refund checked today for some reason and it went back to August 24.Can not believe it still is not released even after getting a TA this is bull.

42. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

It jumped back. Idk why I even both looking haha

43. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

Date stuck this morning so far

@Daylight: If that date moves ahead and sticks, then something is moving and the system is trying to get it processed within that time frame.

45. Fe!!!!

Update I received a CP 3500 stating they receive my documents and I don’t have to do anything else but give them to September 14. I hope I receive my refund by than .

46. Daylight

@Sheila_33 Heres my update … As of Date pushed out again to September14
    That’s the 3rd time this Month it has pushed out… it hasn’t bounced backwards though so I hope that’s a good thing.

47. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

@Flstalker1185: just basically that they need a little more time..

48. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: My as of date is stuck at 4/27 usually. Mine always goes back too unfortunately 😞 And I’m not sure about the letter. Haven’t been home in a couple weeks to check my mail. What does the letter say?

49. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

@Flstalker1185: did you get a letter recently stating they need more time? Cp3501

50. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

@Flstalker1185: eitc audit, yeah. Went from June 22 to sept 14th but it does most Fridays but jumps back hah.. TA has been helpful but impossible to get a hold of. Good luck to us

51. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

@Stever: Mine did too. I’m almost positive we’re both under audit and have had similar things happen with our accounts. Hopefully we’re in the home stretch this time and our dates don’t change back like they always do..

52. Stever
      Wisconsin
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • TC 971, Weekly

As of date moved to Monday sept 14th

53. patientlywaitinginTX
      TX
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Declansmom77: what’s the number to that department? I’ve been waiting since 2/5.

@NOTINKANSAS: They just may not have finished the 2017 yet and sent out the refund for the 2018.

55. NOTINKANSAS

NEW,But been following ,and just waiting ,I have a question l mailed 2018refund and 2017 at same time ,just got 2018 in mail
    waited 7 mo,but no word on 2017 on WMR or transcript ,is this normal. should i got both at same time? they were in the same envelope

@Declansmom77: There’s a possibility, but it all depends on if the code was entered before it cycled thru yesterday, if they are weekly processing it. Its good news regardless, but if not this week, odds are it will cycle thru next week and post an update on transcripts next Friday. Let’s hope it caught the cycle for this week, fingers crossed.

57. Declansmom77

@Sheila_33 Well the solvency department opened today and finally took my call. 8 months later and she put a simple code in the system to release my return and it took less than 5 minutes. The person who closed out my issue from 2018 just missed the code to close the issue. She said it should update to the system next week and I should have money within 2 weeks. But im crossing my fingers it updates with fridays update and I have money next week. In your opinion is that possible? Just figured I would update you since I’ve posted my issue since February and you have offered good advice.

@RedDawn: Hopefully, there will be changes on the transcript this weekend, to reflect the manual release.

59. RedDawn

@Sheila_33: I know. It’s been a heck of a year. I just got an email stating that they manually had to release it last week and should be posted sept 4th. I should get it the following week. Was wondering if I could update this weekend maybe?

@RedDawn: I know, and it’s frustrating. There are good ones, and there are bad ones. But, at least its worth a try to get some kind of idea of what’s going on and possibly resolve it with some help.

61. RedDawn

@Sheila_33: i have a TA since end of May and I’m still waiting for my taxes. Which they said would be release beginning of July.

For those still waiting, I suggest getting a tax advocate. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to your local advocates office and they should get back to you within a few days. Faxing provides a record and you know that the request has been received.

63. Anna Mae

I haven’t been on here in a while . i filed Jan 31st, received my state refund Feb 7th and also received a identity quiz around the same time.. On Feb 19th I received a 60 day notice. Boom.. this pandemic hit.. at the end of June I called Irs they told me nothin was needed and they added on another 60 days. I contacted my state senator, a few weeks later a tax advocate contacted me had me sign a release form.. two.weeks after that he called and told me it was a minor calculation on one of my W2 forms and that I needed to amend.. i corrected it and sent it of certified on July 10th it reached Andover Mass on July 31st.. i checked to see if its in the system. Nothing yet… i still haven’t received my stimilus either.. i dnt know whats goin on.. I waited long enough.. my checks are being garnished because of back bills.. my cars acting funny… i have $4 to my name… i dnt no how ill pay rent.. i left it in gods hands.. im over this year

64. Scott22

@Sheila_33: its W2 that employer i guess hasn’t sent to SSA or IRS the exam dep lady told me today. They can’t verify it. I sent it in when I filed but they don’t have the employers so I don’t know whats next

65. Mom2ohio

@patientlywaitinginTX: I think mine got the 424 code because I signed a power of attorney for a TA to my Senator’s Office two weeks ago. I am hoping anyways. I left a message with my Senator’s assistant this afternoon, so hopefully I receive word on Monday. Its been 8 months and I guess any movement for me is a good thing.

66. barnaba

I filed my tax returns in the early days of February, got 9071C in March, and IDV in the first days of May. I got both my tax refund (Monday) and my stimulus payment (today) this week.

All thanks to TAS 911 form, and Sonya at TAS for making this happen. Cannot stress contacting TAS enough, in terms of getting your funds.

67. Temika

Spoke with my tax advocate only after calling 6 times and leaving voicemails. I just received a call earlier telling me that Utah rejected department is closed for 14 days because someone contracted the virus so not what I wanted to hear, then said wait until September 15.
    Filed 2/10

68. PhillyTaxRefund

So my wmr has said “We have received your tax return and it is being processed” since March. My transcripts have an As of date of May 11, 2020. The codes are 160, 806, 766, 768, 570. I think it held up the stimulus check as well. What do I do? Call a number?File amended?

Any help is appreciated!

69. patientlywaitinginTX
      TX
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@mom2ohio: I just checked mine. Same exact thing. I really hate this.

@GoBlue: Well, even better, lol.

@mom2ohio: No, a 424 is a request for an exam. Sometimes they can switch to a 420 actual audit code but sometimes they drop off. Let’s hope for the latter.

@Scott22: Drat. Let’s hope they look at it and just release it without it changing to a 420.

73. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

Announcement: for all of you amended filers out there, they IRS said according to law, the 16 weeks for processing reset and restarted on 8/1/2020. So if you had a return filed before AUG 1st, the legal window for the processing time has been reset, regardless of when they received it.

74. GoBlue

USAA
      3rd Bar
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 971, TC 846, Weekly

@mom2ohio: yes

76. mom2ohio

Okay so I just checked my transcripts, my as of date moved to Sept 07, 2020 after sitting on May for 3 months but I also got a 424 code. So does this now mean I have an audit?

@Amy19: Manual processing is moving slow for these amendeds. But I’m betting it doesn’t take 16 weeks. Next year, hopefully these anendeds won’t drag on since they are going to start accepting these 1040x forms online.

@Scott22: It sounds like something is going on with the date pushing out. Let’s hope its a good sign.

79. Amy19
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Sheila_33: the as of 8/17 date has stuck so I called the amended number, was given the brush off. Even though IRS received the amended on 3/5, the new 16 week window did not start until 8/1. I was told it won’t be anytime soon. Have a good evening.

80. Scott22

@Sheila_33: a little hope / good news maybe for folks with 570 last week my transcript updated as of date 8/10 now its 8/31 so I think they are starting to deffently work on the holds

81. Ree Ree

@Nika911: well my original date was 4/24 and it was mailed to my old address the mail carrier mailed it back to the IRS. From there I been waiting since 5/28 for the computer to recognize that my money was there and to release a new date. I checked on the irs website and I also called the 1-800-829-0542 ext 652 and they transferred me

82. Ree Ree

Quick question. My stimulus date for deposit was 8/19 I still haven’t received it in my account. My tax advocate seem to be confused as well. Has anyone had this problem?

@Tati: :) You’re welcome. Hopefully, you’ll get some answers. Good luck

84. Tati

@Sheila_33: nvm Sheila the links you gave me give me exactly what I need. I will try this route. Much appreciated