A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask all your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

Join the Conversation

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. Pbrown82

My husbands still has 1/4/21 as ddd but gmp says not enough info, my mom got hers and last week still gmp says not enough info, wtf?!??

@Ninastarsos: That payment is a credit, and I would see no reason that it would process any different or take any longer than the child credits.

3. Ninastarsos

Someone said that we should fill out the recovery rebate and put that we got our full amount of stimulus so refund wont get delayed….is this true??

4. Candyboy9

Received a text from Netspend Metabank at 4am Pacific time All-Access: We have received your direct deposit and are processing it now. Hang tight! We will let you know once it is available. 01/13/2021

Sounds like there on there way soon Netspenders

5. Chime just chimed

Bro in law received his stimulus today…direct deposit…last time…stimulus was mailed last go round…filed through freetaxusa…bank NCSECU

6. Kay

@AKT: I started using eztaxreturn.com this will be the 3rd year. I haven’t had any problems check them out.

7. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@justlikestealing: thank you for the info!

@justlikestealing: I can’t take the credit for that, lol. Someone else reminded me it was a holiday.

9. justlikestealing
      michjgan
      netspend
    • Weekly

@GoDawgs: Its just the test batch that the IRS does every yr before they officially start accepting returns. They take some early filers and use them as guinea pigs to make sure all is well. It can be a good thing or a bad thing, as I re-sequenced 2 times last year….lol

10. justlikestealing
      michjgan
      netspend
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: Yup… Dont think the chat guy was figuring MLK Day in, thinking now it will be Tuesday, good catch

11. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Sheila_33:
    It took the scenic route via snail mail. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday. It is just sad how they are handling this 2nd stimulus.

12. Melimel
      Jackson Hewitt
      Ny
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

Still no stimmy
    Transcripts still say 846 1/4 deposit
    Website still says unavailable
    Today I had a deposit of $0.00 I’m thinking that was a tester deposit to make sure my account was good.
    Fingers crossed for everyone who hasn’t received

@Buckeye89: Not really. I keep hoping yours just decided to take the scenic route and you’ll see it in the morning. Fingers crossed. :)

14. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Sheila_33:
    Kicking the dirt with no stimulus check today…lol. Have you been able to figure out any pattern with them?

15. Heather from va

Have anyone of y’all received unemployment this year and got yours already. I was on unemployment for 3 months. 3 ppl I know did too and have the mailed 1-6 like me but still no check. Just curious if it is the ppl who got unemployment or not??

16. LovelyDay29
      Prepaid
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

Hey !!! Is anyone familiar with the 1099 R form? Am I required to wait until I receive my form before filing my taxes?

@justlikestealing: Should be interesting to see if the holiday on Monday will affect it.

@Daylight: Congratulations!

19. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Mike:
    I guess it is straight hit and miss with original mailed checks. So much for giving the dumbasses DD info….lol
    Someone needs to slap the S hit out of whomever decided not to use DD

20. Daylight

Well I finally got a letter in the mail from the irs saying that I will be getting a check in 2 to 3 weeks for my 2019 return that I amended in April. I feel like I can cry it’s been a long journey … also I will have to claim my second stimulus on my 2020 tax return but I have no problem with doing that right about now just so happy to finally know my return is on the way. Well here’s to 2020 filing I’m hoping for a speedy return with all the madness happening.

21. Jessica1112

@MentallyDrainedASF: Not me! i called today and the treasury said they see when it was rejected and returned, i called the irs of course was directed to the EIP hotline where they wont take any personal info and i told her i am not part of the whole turbo tax thing or any of the other companies, i just need to know what to do because i cant file my taxes with it showing i was sent a payment that i didnt actually get and was returned to them and she said i will get a check in the mail. allow 14 days, so who knows at this point.

22. texasmomof3

@Iwanymomeynow: my son was caught up in the issues with the 15thers and didn’t get his 1st stimulus until June or July also. His GMP for the 2nd stimulus is the same as your, no info, I wonder if he will get a card I. The mail also?

Did your gmp status change after you got your card in the mail

23. justlikestealing
      michjgan
      netspend
    • Weekly

For those wondering about when the IRS will start hub testing for refunds, according to the conversation I just had with the Free Tax live chat, it will begin on either the 17th (Sun) or more likely Monday Jan 18th……..

24. @nika911

@dredre: i pray u right ,… becuase im still seeing not avail and at first my ssn as my acct number and im just tired of the waiting.

25. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@bulldogsfan: u can file anytime after the 1st I’m guessing. I filed with TaxSlayer like always and got the generic “will receive an email within 12-24 hours of IRS acceptance” but I haven’t gotten that bc the IRS hasn’t started accepting. I don’t mind. It just kind of sits in limbo until it can be accepted by the IRS.

26. MentallyDrainedASF

Anyone get their check who had a closed bank account during this round of $600 stimulus payments?

27. Iwanymomeynow

Hello all just some insight. I hit my 1st stimulus DD in July after updating my info on GMP in April. Yes it took 4 months. Today I received the meta bank debit card from IRS after GMP said info not available. My husband got a card as well even tho 1st payment was check by mail for him. This it crazy his GMP status said check was mailed 1/6 hope this helps. Stay in faith.

28. Wolfhound

@MsBee: uta folks too. You are not alone. They must be having trouble getting over the rockies. Hahahaha

29. Heather from va

@Malino: I didnt even get any mail today. And I had 5 different usps vehicles on my street stopping at every house but mine. Seeing others getting there’s on here is only thing still giving me hope. Hope it’s here tomorrow or Friday. 🤞🤞

30. Junebug0625

@Playgirl1: I agree 100%. I just don’t get how the screwed up so bad and doing nothing to fix it.. must b nice to sit in cushy chairs and not struggle…

31. Playgirl1

@Junebug0625: I still haven’t gotta mines. Which was to be deposited on 1/4 also. This is really crazy. How the irs can work with tax preparers but can’t work with the money. To get my money into it smh.

32. MsBee

@It’sMeAmandaHi: I’m starting to think the mailed checks are caught in limbo to Texas as well as other southern states. I do see northern states have reported getting theirs slowly but they are getting them. I’m here in Texas too and most of the people I personally know, haven’t received checks only their scheduled DD’s to their banks. 😩😩

33. Malino

@Wolfhound: me too! I still haven’t received my check smh..it says it was mailed on January 6th today is the 13th and Nothing! Mailman came today and NO stimulus check..smh I live in Long Island New York btw

34. Junebug0625

Well here in ct everyone in my house got their check today. But here I am still waiting on what the irs is going to do with all the deposits they screwed up..this is complete bs. It sucks when everyone get theirs and you have no idea If and when you will receive it..

35. Malino

@JoeExotic: me too! It says January 6th and today is the 13th and I haven’t got my check yet smh..mailman came today and NO stimulus check..this is BS! I live in Long Island New York btw..

36. Malino

@Heather from va beach: I agree! This is BS! I still haven’t got mine Either..it says it was mailed January 6th and today is the 13th and mailman just dropped off my mail and NO stimulus check smh..and I live in Long Island New York..

37. Malino

@Storm76: I haven’t received my second stimulus check Either..it’s showing it was mailed January 6th and today is the 13th and Nothing smh..mailman just dropped off my mail and Nothing..I live in New York Long Island btw

38. Storm76

Im not sure if there is any reasoning as when who..or what state…or city…or what not that checks will be a certain day…it has truly baffled me…and yes my status 2 payment was showing mailed on the 6th of Jan…also my transcripts showed issued on 6th of Jan…my first stimulus was mailed on April 24th as well last year…i amended as too last year and recieved my corrected amended amount via check in November.

39. @nika911

@honeycutt: i know the ques wont for me but mine was , any new update i need to know about because rt nwo im cluelesss and could use any news at this point… ;lol

40. AKT

Best free sight to file taxes? I am done with turbo tax I have been locked out of my account forever I have called 500 times and I still cannot get in and I’m just done with it

41. BrainFart

@@nika911: That is awful, I really hope they get everything together for you. It’s definitely a waiting game form this point on. fingers crossed and I hope the best for you.

42. Heather from va beach

My mail hasn’t run yet but says there is nothing for today… I’m in va I haven’t heard of anyone in va getting there checks yet either. This is bs.

43. Dan

I’m in Texas and still no paper check that the site said was scheduled to be mailed on 1/6. All u people that keep saying 1/6 is the date on all checks and not the mail date well the site says that its scheduled to be MAILED on 1/6 it doesnt say your check will have the date 1/6 on it

44. @nika911

@BrainFart: good luck. i did too because i have a business an my pUA stopped aug when someone (lazyasssss) stole my SSN and put it in a CA unemp data base and thwy GAVE them 11k dollars now im still INACTIVE therfore in the waiting room with you @brainfart i pray we get some thing soon i been waintin to b resumed since aug 29 beyond frustratnig. im self employeed like real legit and these lazy scoundrullllls aint work a day n they life just triflin yua gpta still to get paid

45. BrainFart

SOMEONE PLEASE!! I FILED EXTRA PUA WEEKS BEFORE THE RED FLAG WAS THERE! THE DAY THE BILL WAS PASSED I FILED. WELL WHAT DO Y’ALL THINK WILL HAPPEN? I CALLED THEM AND IT’S A WAITING GAME. ANYONE WHO FILED EARLY PUA WILL LOSE ALL INFORMATION AND IT WILL BE TERMINATED. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR QUESTIONS ?

@JoeExotic: That is incorrect. I went back thru the convo and that was not what was said. We’re here to help one another, not attack. Please move on.

47. MSRazorbackPhD

I thought he knew, which isn’t that hard, that those were checks?! Not that he was physically opening them😐

@Mememe: Yes, it is.

49. MsBee

2 mail pieces with no images according to informed delivery. More than likely junk mail once again today. Mail date was 1/6 here in Texas. Still nothing. This stimulus round is so dysfunctional.

50. Wolfhound

No check in the mail again today in Utah. Ugggg that’s 6 mail moving days. Does not make sense. Should have been here by now right?

51. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Txmomof3girls:
    They have my updated and I confirmed it too with IRS. Still no check in SW Ohio. Hopefully next couple of days, but not holding my breath

52. wade123
      Minnesota
      Wisely
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • TT 152, Daily

So I just e-filed. Due to the pandemic, I was laid off back in March. So I took 1 year salary from my retirement savings and just chilled on a 9 month holiday and stayed home and safe. I have 19 years of working time to replace it and I am still in good shape for retirement, so all is good there. Anyway, because of this, I ended up earning less than the $12,400 cut off so I actually qualified for the minimum EIC, aka EITC. This means my little refund is stuck on this crazy PATH, so I understand. I don’t even have any dependents that I claim, nothing, but jinxed by the PATH. Interesting….. I don’t think this is what the PATH was intended for, just a victim of circumstances I guess, I am used to getting my refund by end of Jan. Not his year…..

53. Countryvines2014
      WV
      Huntington Bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

Still no check in the Mail!!!! Date mailed out supposedly 1/6 West Virginia here!!! I’ve not seen one WV post they have received their check in the mail! I know they are mailing out in batches! I heard if it wasn’t in your mail Today then it would not be worth checking until Wednesday of next week. Is that true??

@Waiting…: I have not seen anyone with a efile acceptance yet.

55. Txmomof3girls
      TX
      AMX Serve

So husband has not received his stimulus check yet, not sure if he actually will… the mail date was 1/6 and I see that several people with that mail date are still waiting on their check as well. We moved and IRS did not have our updated address so we are hoping that our local post office will be kind enough to drop it in our mailbox. We live in a small rural town so maybe they will!

56. afs1928

@Kay: You put both first and second amounts. I did mine also and it asked how much for each did I receive