Where’s My Refund? For all the people impatiently waiting.

A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask all your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

Join the Conversation

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. Junebug0625

@@nika911: I don’t even care about waiting just tell me when I’m getting it… or give me some type of answer. I will have my w-2s tomorrow and I don’t even know if no I should file. Because if I say I didn’t get the 600 they will put in my refund and then see my transcript saying I got it and audit me or say I did get it and be out the money. And I have to move ASAP.

2. Kay

Good morning, when I got to file my taxes they asked how much stimulus I received. Do I only put the amount from March or also the 600 we received this year? Can anyone advise thank you.

3. @nika911

@Hopefullysoon: wish everybody would get that email. they doign things individually is stupid. send a masss email out. some gettn emails and some not, the mess i tell ya
    good thing u got some movement .

4. @niahdiusyhauiyfuewrgt

@texasmomof3: u know sum. lol stay woke my friend we SEE the bullshyt ya feel me. some others are still tryin to figure out what accts end in our social lol
    your ACCT inthe FEDERAL RESERVE but i already said too much.

5. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Mike:
    I thought that was where I remembered. Hopefully tomorrow for me…ugh

6. Junebug0625

Here we are to another day. DD of 01/04 no money in my bank. Taxslayer saying it was rejected and sbtgp has no funds and can’t get through to irs because of high call volume we can’t take your call at this time.. been doing these for a week. I’m so over this bs. The irs is such scumbags..

7. Mike

@Buckeye89: The return address says : U.S Department of the Treasury Bureau of the Fiscal Service P.O Box 51320 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19115…..white envelope

8. Mike

@Buckeye89: Damn I was hoping you would have got yours…..this is a mess. The IRS is some scumbag’s……they would steal a nickle off a dead man, then lie about it.

9. Mike

@Sayitaintsostl: It shows the image of the envelope, I can see where it say’s “pay to the order of” through the plastic window on the envelope

10. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Mike:
    Makes no sense if you hot yours that mine should not be here. Let me know where from pleadse

11. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

No check in Informed Delivery in SW Ohio! There is some major BS going on that they are not telling us!!!

12. texasmomof3

@Mike: I’m happy for y’all, the IRS is beyond a hot mess, what’s even sadder is they can’t figure the mess and they are the ones that created it.

13. Mike

@texasmomof3: Yeah 1/6…… the IRS has my banking info. I have had the same bank for over 10 years. My wife and I have had tax refunds DD in the same account for 10 years, so I dont get why in the hell they mailed it….Hope you get yours as well!!!!

14. Kacey1

Well yay I think. My Bancorp account shows a direct deposit of $0 and according to Taxact that’s the IRS checking account so should expect a deposit for the lost stimulus When though? Hopefully before Feb 1. …. but we’ve waited this long, what’s another 2 weeks. (Seriously we need it yesterday).

15. Beyondpissed

@StellG83: Hi,

Ok , so
    Last week my account from green dot changed to 0.00 but went back to the balance it was… do you think that’s the same by any chance?

16. Beyondpissed

Hi,

So does anyone know of our accounts changing to $0.00 last week is apart of this test from Republic bank?

17. StellG83

@Beyondpissed: I can see the pending deposit thru my Credit Unions mobile app. Not all banks show pending deposits. It reads Republic EIP Rep EIP2 for 0.00.

18. Meshie3030

I got a letter coming from the irs from Detroit Michigan. Do you know what it could be? I have a track number for it through usps.

19. Hopefullysoon

Got an email from TT today allowing me to update my bank info. Informed me that my deposit was sent to a closed account and I have 48 hours to update and will receive my stimulus within the next 5 days.

20. Johnny UniteUs

Why would the IRS say the checks have been mailed out on January 6th? Today is the 12th and the day is over! Unless the IRS is transporting the payments by horse and buggy, why is it taking so long to receive the stimulus checks?
    Unfortunately like every government entity the IRS is only interested in power and acquiring more power for themselves and their friends.
    The IRS are terribly incompetent and yet there are no known reprimands to any department nor individuals working in the IRS. Just try calling the IRS when there is no global tragedy or pandemic for some help, they are just as incompetent and unresponsive as they are during a pandemic!!
    We all pay taxes from our paychecks before we even receive one single cent! They take our money and give us back horrible, or no service at all! If any small business owner or employee ever behaved this way they would cease to be in business or employed. Yet the IRS has adopted this ridiculous behavior of neglecting people and being dishonest as standard practice.
    Like all government entities the IRS forget that they work for the people!! It’s time we should remind the IRS and all government entities that the people are in charge of our country and not these lazy, dishonest, incompetent, greedy political government entities. When We the people need our institutions the most….they never seem to fail at failing us!
    I am in Upstate New York
    I needed this stimulus check to pay for my overdue heat and electric bills.
    Dishonestly the IRS website said it was mailed on the 6th
    I told the oil guy and electric company it was mailed on the 6th
    Tonight I have no heat, no lights and no payment.
    In 3 days I will have no phone
    On the 20th I lose my truck that I need for work
    I’ve paid my taxes since I was 14 years old and always hoped that my tax money went to people in need.
    I no longer have those thoughts.
    Good luck to everyone in this time of need.
    Be safe Be healthy and love your family

21. Junebug0625

@Pbrown82: no I had to call 18007797228 hit option for tax professional then 0s for some number then they transferred me…

22. Pbrown82

I keep checking for myself, my mom, and my husband. Last stimulus my husband got them 1st (we filed separately). Then my mom and mine came on the same day. This time around, nothing has changed AT ALL, I got mine 12/30, my Mom last Friday (it still says they don’t know what’s going on), my husband hasn’t gotten his and has the same idk shit message, his transcripts say (1/4)

23. Junebug0625

So I called taxslayer thinking maybe they had some insight to this chaos. So the rep looks up my account says yes it was rejected the 31 and went back to the irs. That it should b in my account by January 15. Now sbtgp says they have no money for me at all. So who lying… they all need to get the facts straight so I’m thinking I’m gonna get a check at some point in the future lol

24. Nawlinsinmyblood

The piece of mail with no image from informed delivery is usually junk mail. My tax preparer has always used Republic Bank and this year they issued a prepaid netspend card. No updates on irs. Generic message on Republic’s sight saying the stimulus will be sent by Feb.1. I filed taxes last week after stimulus was sent to closed account from previous year. Im stuck in the number limbo.

25. Goducks
      Oregon

I am hopeful we will see something soon! Was able to update my bank info with turbo and double checked it and it now says they are working with the irs to get the EIP sent out.

26. bulldogsfan

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

How does that work filing early? I was thinking about the same I have my w2 already.

27. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Bama91:
    Hopefully you see a DD in the next day or so.
    To make matters worse. I deliver for Amazon and we we to get a bonus for Peak Weak on this Friday’s check, but now we were told it would be mid Feb…ugh

28. IrsCashMeOussideHowBowDat

Just commenting for those who want to know, I received a deposit of 0.00 on my Netspend card around 4:50 pm. I’m not sure what that means. I do know that according to the email the CEO of Republic Bank sent me, that they were working with the IRS to ensure that they have our correct info. My deposit was sent from the IRS to them on Dec 30th and was rejected. The first go round, Republic sent me a check. I hope this means something positive who’s waiting for answers just like I am.

29. JustMe

My husband to me anyways is a frontline worker just sometimes does not get recognition for that, being a truck driver.. normally he don’t but had a few delivery’s to NY food banks and such.. worried for a moment going into other states having kids and all, but knowing how many people were in need all over during 2020 how could anyone turn their back!!

30. sweetypie0486

I hate that we’re all in this situation. Here’s to hoping that we get our relief sooner than later. I changed account numbers due to fraud in October so I’m stuck waiting to see when/if i’ll even see the deposit that was sent to the closed account on 1/4. GMP hasn’t updated at all. I hate this…

31. JustMe

@ FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam, Thank you so very much, I wish all the best to you also (hugs) and everyone else out there! None of this should of even happened!

32. Kev85

I can’t even file my taxes because my second stimulus is in limbo, TurboTax says wait until the end of January to see if you’re going to receive it. This is the dumbest thing ever, But how could you expect anything different with the way last year went..

33. Playgirl1

@@nika911: same thing happen to me. I bank with Wells Fargo and still ain’t saw no money. Plus I had a date foe 1/4 now says unavailable smfh

34. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@JustMe: Yea this is a mess and I agree. I have friends in other states that sit at food banks for hours bc of job losses in their households during to the pandemic. These food banks are even running low on inventory. If we aren’t struggling completely, it’s still really tight for the majority of us. I wish u all the best in 2021!

35. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

For those with Stimulus checks mailed on 1/6(supposedly).
    I called to verify my address and she confirmed it and said my stimulus was to be mailed out 1/6, but she said it could be four to five weeks, which is BS, but I am starting to wonder if she knew something that has not been said in the press. For being the second stimulus it sure is A BIG OLD CLUSTER FUCK!!!

36. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Irritated: I didn’t stress the 1st one bc of course it was needed but not dire. This is just ridiculous especially going into tax season.

37. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Kittiluv: They actually wouldn’t allow it as I did receive the 1st stimulus.Their reasoning was to prevent fraud. There were no DD updates. One could only change/update their address.

38. Kittiluv

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam: well, I understand your frustrations but did you see when they said to go on irs portal and update dd info?

39. @nika911

@texasmomof3: nope. just regular tax refund. first stimulus came dire dep . sec status said social as my acct then immediatly changed to unavail. so at this point i have the slightest clue

40. JustMe

Would be nice to at least just be able to talk to someone regarding stimulus or about 2019 refund! Oh my gosh.. this getting hung up on after half hr to an hour on hold is down right just wrong!! What are these people even paid for? Everyone should apply and work Irs call center from home, im telling ya ive heard kids in back ground, dog barking in back ground, grumpy people as if just woke up! And to get hung up on..? Sad, just SAD!!

41. Kimzie
      Idaho
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

@KDinAZ: definitely going to use it this year over turbotax

42. Kimzie
      Idaho
      Netspend

@Sheila_33: thank you. I have a schedule C and usually use turbo so pay fees

43. @nika911

turbo says Efile available today!!! means a bowl of beans to me. rigjht now between th eirs and them WHOMEVER is responosble they need to fix they mess before they start overloading they system again ya think? smh

44. @nika911

im tryin to get in touch with a LIVE anything at ths point to give me a response that includes only my ssn lol they like to give generic answers/prompted msgs to get us all the lines. lol thi sis beyond rediculous nver mind VEC but anywho

45. neededthatmoneybadly

According to TaxAct the “Republic EIP” deposit of 0 that is pending on a lot of accounts is Republic Bank checking accounts so that they can provide the information to the IRS to send the actual deposits. – specifically TaxAct commented on Facebook to someone “As we are telling others, what’s happened is republic bank is verifying bank accounts so that the IRS knows they’re still active for when they reprocess stimulus payments. -EP”

46. Irritated

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam: H&r claims they mailed mines because it was sent to my old checking account. Like what is really going

47. KDinAZ

@Kimzie: love it. Use it for mine and my parents taxes last 5 years never had issues with them. In past i used taxslayer and had issues

@Kimzie: I’ve used it for years and like it, never had an issue with that software.

49. Kimzie
      Idaho
      Netspend

Anyone use freetaxusa and like it??

50. MsBee

@Heather va: when I received my first stimulus check it was in a white window envelope addressed from the Internal Revenue Service. The image was available on informed delivery. This second one is taking forever. Mail date 1/6 here in Texas.

51. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@texasmomof3: It really is sad bc a lot of us lost bank accounts due to the pandemic. How dare our government ASSUME we will have the same banking info from 2019 whilst in the midst of a pandemic? Sigh…

52. texasmomof3

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam:

So true, It’s sad we had to watch our law makers turn into to toddlers for 9 months and after the temper tantrums, they said, here, just give it to them and let the chips fall where they may. Beyond Sad.

53. sayitaintsostl

@Stay waiting: seriously i know its coming, The point of the relief is to have just that…relief..the only thing i have an issue with is the check system.

54. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@texasmomof3: it’s been rough y’all and it doesn’t help that ppl with closed bank accounts that need the money most are still waiting for a check.

55. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Tjones: I filed with TaxSlayer. Last year I filed with them also and had no issues.

56. StellG83
      Texas
      Credit Union
    • TT 152, RN 9001

I’ve got the pending deposit of 0.00 from Republic Bank as well.

57. Nick

I use Chime so I can’t see pending deposits. However, lots of people are posting screenshots on a FB page I’m following. They’re all for $0 and say Republic EIM or something like that. Apparently some banks list pending deposits.

58. Otaku_Nana

@Stim/ check in MA: where did it mailed from if it have any info about where it was mailed from a lot of people would like to know. It would give us a time table on when we 1/6 would receive it in mail

59. neededthatmoneybadly

@Tjones: 15 days from the first payment? Because the first payment was sent to the Republic Bank accounts back on 12/29 which is 13 days ago today? That would mean that many of us should get a check this week– but TaxAct says something entirely different — stating that payments haven’t been processed back to us yet as of the 10th…

60. Nick

Anyone have a pending deposit for $0 from Republic? It looks like they’re doing account verification for the upcoming deposits by the IRS.

61. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
      CA
      MINE
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@texasmomof3: I am surely hoping so because I haven’t seen much if not anything of just situations where accounts were closed, not having to do with the mistake made with turbo and all of those guys.

62. texasmomof3

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam: You are not alone, My situation is the same as yours, I filed my taxes also. If I get double I will send one back and keep one. I was approved for the loan with turbbo tax, I’m just waiting for my return to be accepted with the IRS

63. texasmomof3

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: I haven’t, I’m going to call tomorrow. My bank sent the payment back, I confirmed that much, hopefully we receive a check as well.

64. Tjones

Hey everyone I talked to IRS this morning I got caught up in the taxact wrong bank account bs dd was rejected by republic bank and sent back to IRS the agent I spoke to said they will be issuing checks not dd so he told me look out for a check 15 days from when payment was sent out..I hope this helps someone

65. @nika911

i put in 2 returns today here in VA for 2020 tax season luckily they got both thre stimulus they can start from scratch with the irs baffoonnnner . lol but and they let me transmit them far as accepting them and starting them i have no ideo yet

66. Tjones

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam: Who did you file with..I did taxact for the past few years but they fucked us over this year I’m looking for a new company now