A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask and answer all your refund questions.

If you didn’t receive your second stimulus payment or received less than expected, this is what the IRS says:

The IRS issued some direct deposit payments to accounts that may be closed or no longer active. Some checks were mailed to the wrong address if the IRS didn’t have your current address. You cannot change your bank account or mailing information with the IRS at this time and can claim the stimulus amount on your 2020 tax return. It will be called the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 Form or 1040-SR. Discuss in our comment section below. Fact check here: if you didn’t receive your second stimulus or received the wrong amount. Source: IRS Press Release

What is IRS Payment Status 2?

If you are seeing Payment Status #2 on the Get My Payment (GMP) tool, it is a problem. Read more about Payment Status 2 here.

What is the GMP?

The GMP is the IRS Get My Payment tool to check the status of your stimulus payment.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

Affiliate Partners – Start your tax return here to support the grapevine!
FreeTaxUSA esmart tax

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. justlikestealing
      michjgan
      netspend
    • Weekly

For those wondering about when the IRS will start hub testing for refunds, according to the conversation I just had with the Free Tax live chat, it will begin on either the 17th (Sun) or more likely Monday Jan 18th……..

2. @nika911

@dredre: i pray u right ,… becuase im still seeing not avail and at first my ssn as my acct number and im just tired of the waiting.

3. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@bulldogsfan: u can file anytime after the 1st I’m guessing. I filed with TaxSlayer like always and got the generic “will receive an email within 12-24 hours of IRS acceptance” but I haven’t gotten that bc the IRS hasn’t started accepting. I don’t mind. It just kind of sits in limbo until it can be accepted by the IRS.

4. MentallyDrainedASF

Anyone get their check who had a closed bank account during this round of $600 stimulus payments?

5. Iwanymomeynow

Hello all just some insight. I hit my 1st stimulus DD in July after updating my info on GMP in April. Yes it took 4 months. Today I received the meta bank debit card from IRS after GMP said info not available. My husband got a card as well even tho 1st payment was check by mail for him. This it crazy his GMP status said check was mailed 1/6 hope this helps. Stay in faith.

6. Wolfhound

@MsBee: uta folks too. You are not alone. They must be having trouble getting over the rockies. Hahahaha

7. Heather from va

@Malino: I didnt even get any mail today. And I had 5 different usps vehicles on my street stopping at every house but mine. Seeing others getting there’s on here is only thing still giving me hope. Hope it’s here tomorrow or Friday. 🤞🤞

8. Junebug0625

@Playgirl1: I agree 100%. I just don’t get how the screwed up so bad and doing nothing to fix it.. must b nice to sit in cushy chairs and not struggle…

9. Playgirl1

@Junebug0625: I still haven’t gotta mines. Which was to be deposited on 1/4 also. This is really crazy. How the irs can work with tax preparers but can’t work with the money. To get my money into it smh.

10. MsBee

@It’sMeAmandaHi: I’m starting to think the mailed checks are caught in limbo to Texas as well as other southern states. I do see northern states have reported getting theirs slowly but they are getting them. I’m here in Texas too and most of the people I personally know, haven’t received checks only their scheduled DD’s to their banks. 😩😩

11. Malino

@Wolfhound: me too! I still haven’t received my check smh..it says it was mailed on January 6th today is the 13th and Nothing! Mailman came today and NO stimulus check..smh I live in Long Island New York btw

12. Junebug0625

Well here in ct everyone in my house got their check today. But here I am still waiting on what the irs is going to do with all the deposits they screwed up..this is complete bs. It sucks when everyone get theirs and you have no idea If and when you will receive it..

13. Malino

@JoeExotic: me too! It says January 6th and today is the 13th and I haven’t got my check yet smh..mailman came today and NO stimulus check..this is BS! I live in Long Island New York btw..

14. Malino

@Heather from va beach: I agree! This is BS! I still haven’t got mine Either..it says it was mailed January 6th and today is the 13th and mailman just dropped off my mail and NO stimulus check smh..and I live in Long Island New York..

15. Malino

@Storm76: I haven’t received my second stimulus check Either..it’s showing it was mailed January 6th and today is the 13th and Nothing smh..mailman just dropped off my mail and Nothing..I live in New York Long Island btw

16. Storm76

Im not sure if there is any reasoning as when who..or what state…or city…or what not that checks will be a certain day…it has truly baffled me…and yes my status 2 payment was showing mailed on the 6th of Jan…also my transcripts showed issued on 6th of Jan…my first stimulus was mailed on April 24th as well last year…i amended as too last year and recieved my corrected amended amount via check in November.

17. @nika911

@honeycutt: i know the ques wont for me but mine was , any new update i need to know about because rt nwo im cluelesss and could use any news at this point… ;lol

18. AKT

Best free sight to file taxes? I am done with turbo tax I have been locked out of my account forever I have called 500 times and I still cannot get in and I’m just done with it

19. BrainFart

@@nika911: That is awful, I really hope they get everything together for you. It’s definitely a waiting game form this point on. fingers crossed and I hope the best for you.

20. Heather from va beach

My mail hasn’t run yet but says there is nothing for today… I’m in va I haven’t heard of anyone in va getting there checks yet either. This is bs.

21. Dan

I’m in Texas and still no paper check that the site said was scheduled to be mailed on 1/6. All u people that keep saying 1/6 is the date on all checks and not the mail date well the site says that its scheduled to be MAILED on 1/6 it doesnt say your check will have the date 1/6 on it

22. @nika911

@BrainFart: good luck. i did too because i have a business an my pUA stopped aug when someone (lazyasssss) stole my SSN and put it in a CA unemp data base and thwy GAVE them 11k dollars now im still INACTIVE therfore in the waiting room with you @brainfart i pray we get some thing soon i been waintin to b resumed since aug 29 beyond frustratnig. im self employeed like real legit and these lazy scoundrullllls aint work a day n they life just triflin yua gpta still to get paid

23. BrainFart

SOMEONE PLEASE!! I FILED EXTRA PUA WEEKS BEFORE THE RED FLAG WAS THERE! THE DAY THE BILL WAS PASSED I FILED. WELL WHAT DO Y’ALL THINK WILL HAPPEN? I CALLED THEM AND IT’S A WAITING GAME. ANYONE WHO FILED EARLY PUA WILL LOSE ALL INFORMATION AND IT WILL BE TERMINATED. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR QUESTIONS ?

@JoeExotic: That is incorrect. I went back thru the convo and that was not what was said. We’re here to help one another, not attack. Please move on.

25. MSRazorbackPhD

I thought he knew, which isn’t that hard, that those were checks?! Not that he was physically opening them😐

@Mememe: Yes, it is.

27. MsBee

2 mail pieces with no images according to informed delivery. More than likely junk mail once again today. Mail date was 1/6 here in Texas. Still nothing. This stimulus round is so dysfunctional.

28. Wolfhound

No check in the mail again today in Utah. Ugggg that’s 6 mail moving days. Does not make sense. Should have been here by now right?

29. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Txmomof3girls:
    They have my updated and I confirmed it too with IRS. Still no check in SW Ohio. Hopefully next couple of days, but not holding my breath

30. wade123
      Minnesota
      Wisely
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • Daily

So I just e-filed. Due to the pandemic, I was laid off back in March. So I took 1 year salary from my retirement savings and just chilled on a 9 month holiday and stayed home and safe. I have 19 years of working time to replace it and I am still in good shape for retirement, so all is good there. Anyway, because of this, I ended up earning less than the $12,400 cut off so I actually qualified for the minimum EIC, aka EITC. This means my little refund is stuck on this crazy PATH, so I understand. I don’t even have any dependents that I claim, nothing, but jinxed by the PATH. Interesting….. I don’t think this is what the PATH was intended for, just a victim of circumstances I guess, I am used to getting my refund by end of Jan. Not his year…..

31. Countryvines2014
      WV

Still no check in the Mail!!!! Date mailed out supposedly 1/6 West Virginia here!!! I’ve not seen one WV post they have received their check in the mail! I know they are mailing out in batches! I heard if it wasn’t in your mail Today then it would not be worth checking until Wednesday of next week. Is that true??

@Waiting…: I have not seen anyone with a efile acceptance yet.

33. Txmomof3girls
      TX
      AMX Serve

So husband has not received his stimulus check yet, not sure if he actually will… the mail date was 1/6 and I see that several people with that mail date are still waiting on their check as well. We moved and IRS did not have our updated address so we are hoping that our local post office will be kind enough to drop it in our mailbox. We live in a small rural town so maybe they will!

34. afs1928

@Kay: You put both first and second amounts. I did mine also and it asked how much for each did I receive

35. Junebug0625

@@nika911: I don’t even care about waiting just tell me when I’m getting it… or give me some type of answer. I will have my w-2s tomorrow and I don’t even know if no I should file. Because if I say I didn’t get the 600 they will put in my refund and then see my transcript saying I got it and audit me or say I did get it and be out the money. And I have to move ASAP.

36. Kay

Good morning, when I got to file my taxes they asked how much stimulus I received. Do I only put the amount from March or also the 600 we received this year? Can anyone advise thank you.

37. @nika911

@Hopefullysoon: wish everybody would get that email. they doign things individually is stupid. send a masss email out. some gettn emails and some not, the mess i tell ya
    good thing u got some movement .

38. @niahdiusyhauiyfuewrgt

@texasmomof3: u know sum. lol stay woke my friend we SEE the bullshyt ya feel me. some others are still tryin to figure out what accts end in our social lol
    your ACCT inthe FEDERAL RESERVE but i already said too much.

39. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Mike:
    I thought that was where I remembered. Hopefully tomorrow for me…ugh

40. Junebug0625

Here we are to another day. DD of 01/04 no money in my bank. Taxslayer saying it was rejected and sbtgp has no funds and can’t get through to irs because of high call volume we can’t take your call at this time.. been doing these for a week. I’m so over this bs. The irs is such scumbags..

41. Mike

@Buckeye89: The return address says : U.S Department of the Treasury Bureau of the Fiscal Service P.O Box 51320 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19115…..white envelope

42. Mike

@Buckeye89: Damn I was hoping you would have got yours…..this is a mess. The IRS is some scumbag’s……they would steal a nickle off a dead man, then lie about it.

43. Mike

@Sayitaintsostl: It shows the image of the envelope, I can see where it say’s “pay to the order of” through the plastic window on the envelope

44. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Mike:
    Makes no sense if you hot yours that mine should not be here. Let me know where from pleadse

45. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

No check in Informed Delivery in SW Ohio! There is some major BS going on that they are not telling us!!!

46. texasmomof3

@Mike: I’m happy for y’all, the IRS is beyond a hot mess, what’s even sadder is they can’t figure the mess and they are the ones that created it.

47. Mike

@texasmomof3: Yeah 1/6…… the IRS has my banking info. I have had the same bank for over 10 years. My wife and I have had tax refunds DD in the same account for 10 years, so I dont get why in the hell they mailed it….Hope you get yours as well!!!!

48. Kacey1

Well yay I think. My Bancorp account shows a direct deposit of $0 and according to Taxact that’s the IRS checking account so should expect a deposit for the lost stimulus When though? Hopefully before Feb 1. …. but we’ve waited this long, what’s another 2 weeks. (Seriously we need it yesterday).

49. Beyondpissed

@StellG83: Hi,

Ok , so
    Last week my account from green dot changed to 0.00 but went back to the balance it was… do you think that’s the same by any chance?

50. Beyondpissed

Hi,

So does anyone know of our accounts changing to $0.00 last week is apart of this test from Republic bank?

51. StellG83

@Beyondpissed: I can see the pending deposit thru my Credit Unions mobile app. Not all banks show pending deposits. It reads Republic EIP Rep EIP2 for 0.00.

52. Meshie3030

I got a letter coming from the irs from Detroit Michigan. Do you know what it could be? I have a track number for it through usps.

53. Hopefullysoon

Got an email from TT today allowing me to update my bank info. Informed me that my deposit was sent to a closed account and I have 48 hours to update and will receive my stimulus within the next 5 days.

54. Johnny UniteUs

Why would the IRS say the checks have been mailed out on January 6th? Today is the 12th and the day is over! Unless the IRS is transporting the payments by horse and buggy, why is it taking so long to receive the stimulus checks?
    Unfortunately like every government entity the IRS is only interested in power and acquiring more power for themselves and their friends.
    The IRS are terribly incompetent and yet there are no known reprimands to any department nor individuals working in the IRS. Just try calling the IRS when there is no global tragedy or pandemic for some help, they are just as incompetent and unresponsive as they are during a pandemic!!
    We all pay taxes from our paychecks before we even receive one single cent! They take our money and give us back horrible, or no service at all! If any small business owner or employee ever behaved this way they would cease to be in business or employed. Yet the IRS has adopted this ridiculous behavior of neglecting people and being dishonest as standard practice.
    Like all government entities the IRS forget that they work for the people!! It’s time we should remind the IRS and all government entities that the people are in charge of our country and not these lazy, dishonest, incompetent, greedy political government entities. When We the people need our institutions the most….they never seem to fail at failing us!
    I am in Upstate New York
    I needed this stimulus check to pay for my overdue heat and electric bills.
    Dishonestly the IRS website said it was mailed on the 6th
    I told the oil guy and electric company it was mailed on the 6th
    Tonight I have no heat, no lights and no payment.
    In 3 days I will have no phone
    On the 20th I lose my truck that I need for work
    I’ve paid my taxes since I was 14 years old and always hoped that my tax money went to people in need.
    I no longer have those thoughts.
    Good luck to everyone in this time of need.
    Be safe Be healthy and love your family

55. Junebug0625

@Pbrown82: no I had to call 18007797228 hit option for tax professional then 0s for some number then they transferred me…