A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask and answer all your refund questions.

If you didn’t receive your second stimulus payment or received less than expected, this is what the IRS says:

The IRS issued some direct deposit payments to accounts that may be closed or no longer active. Some checks were mailed to the wrong address if the IRS didn’t have your current address. You cannot change your bank account or mailing information with the IRS at this time and can claim the stimulus amount on your 2020 tax return. It will be called the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 Form or 1040-SR. Discuss in our comment section below. Fact check here: if you didn’t receive your second stimulus or received the wrong amount. Source: IRS Press Release

What is IRS Payment Status 2?

If you are seeing Payment Status #2 on the Get My Payment (GMP) tool, it is a problem. Read more about Payment Status 2 here.

What is the GMP?

The GMP is the IRS Get My Payment tool to check the status of your stimulus payment.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

Affiliate Partners – Start your tax return here to support the grapevine!
FreeTaxUSA esmart tax

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. Pbrown82

I keep checking for myself, my mom, and my husband. Last stimulus my husband got them 1st (we filed separately). Then my mom and mine came on the same day. This time around, nothing has changed AT ALL, I got mine 12/30, my Mom last Friday (it still says they don’t know what’s going on), my husband hasn’t gotten his and has the same idk shit message, his transcripts say (1/4)

2. Junebug0625

So I called taxslayer thinking maybe they had some insight to this chaos. So the rep looks up my account says yes it was rejected the 31 and went back to the irs. That it should b in my account by January 15. Now sbtgp says they have no money for me at all. So who lying… they all need to get the facts straight so I’m thinking I’m gonna get a check at some point in the future lol

3. Nawlinsinmyblood

The piece of mail with no image from informed delivery is usually junk mail. My tax preparer has always used Republic Bank and this year they issued a prepaid netspend card. No updates on irs. Generic message on Republic’s sight saying the stimulus will be sent by Feb.1. I filed taxes last week after stimulus was sent to closed account from previous year. Im stuck in the number limbo.

4. Goducks
      Oregon

I am hopeful we will see something soon! Was able to update my bank info with turbo and double checked it and it now says they are working with the irs to get the EIP sent out.

5. bulldogsfan

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

How does that work filing early? I was thinking about the same I have my w2 already.

6. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Bama91:
    Hopefully you see a DD in the next day or so.
    To make matters worse. I deliver for Amazon and we we to get a bonus for Peak Weak on this Friday’s check, but now we were told it would be mid Feb…ugh

7. IrsCashMeOussideHowBowDat

Just commenting for those who want to know, I received a deposit of 0.00 on my Netspend card around 4:50 pm. I’m not sure what that means. I do know that according to the email the CEO of Republic Bank sent me, that they were working with the IRS to ensure that they have our correct info. My deposit was sent from the IRS to them on Dec 30th and was rejected. The first go round, Republic sent me a check. I hope this means something positive who’s waiting for answers just like I am.

8. JustMe

My husband to me anyways is a frontline worker just sometimes does not get recognition for that, being a truck driver.. normally he don’t but had a few delivery’s to NY food banks and such.. worried for a moment going into other states having kids and all, but knowing how many people were in need all over during 2020 how could anyone turn their back!!

9. sweetypie0486

I hate that we’re all in this situation. Here’s to hoping that we get our relief sooner than later. I changed account numbers due to fraud in October so I’m stuck waiting to see when/if i’ll even see the deposit that was sent to the closed account on 1/4. GMP hasn’t updated at all. I hate this…

10. JustMe

@ FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam, Thank you so very much, I wish all the best to you also (hugs) and everyone else out there! None of this should of even happened!

11. Kev85

I can’t even file my taxes because my second stimulus is in limbo, TurboTax says wait until the end of January to see if you’re going to receive it. This is the dumbest thing ever, But how could you expect anything different with the way last year went..

12. Playgirl1

@@nika911: same thing happen to me. I bank with Wells Fargo and still ain’t saw no money. Plus I had a date foe 1/4 now says unavailable smfh

13. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@JustMe: Yea this is a mess and I agree. I have friends in other states that sit at food banks for hours bc of job losses in their households during to the pandemic. These food banks are even running low on inventory. If we aren’t struggling completely, it’s still really tight for the majority of us. I wish u all the best in 2021!

14. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

For those with Stimulus checks mailed on 1/6(supposedly).
    I called to verify my address and she confirmed it and said my stimulus was to be mailed out 1/6, but she said it could be four to five weeks, which is BS, but I am starting to wonder if she knew something that has not been said in the press. For being the second stimulus it sure is A BIG OLD CLUSTER FUCK!!!

15. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Irritated: I didn’t stress the 1st one bc of course it was needed but not dire. This is just ridiculous especially going into tax season.

16. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Kittiluv: They actually wouldn’t allow it as I did receive the 1st stimulus.Their reasoning was to prevent fraud. There were no DD updates. One could only change/update their address.

17. Kittiluv

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam: well, I understand your frustrations but did you see when they said to go on irs portal and update dd info?

18. @nika911

@texasmomof3: nope. just regular tax refund. first stimulus came dire dep . sec status said social as my acct then immediatly changed to unavail. so at this point i have the slightest clue

19. JustMe

Would be nice to at least just be able to talk to someone regarding stimulus or about 2019 refund! Oh my gosh.. this getting hung up on after half hr to an hour on hold is down right just wrong!! What are these people even paid for? Everyone should apply and work Irs call center from home, im telling ya ive heard kids in back ground, dog barking in back ground, grumpy people as if just woke up! And to get hung up on..? Sad, just SAD!!

20. @nika911

turbo says Efile available today!!! means a bowl of beans to me. rigjht now between th eirs and them WHOMEVER is responosble they need to fix they mess before they start overloading they system again ya think? smh

21. @nika911

im tryin to get in touch with a LIVE anything at ths point to give me a response that includes only my ssn lol they like to give generic answers/prompted msgs to get us all the lines. lol thi sis beyond rediculous nver mind VEC but anywho

22. neededthatmoneybadly

According to TaxAct the “Republic EIP” deposit of 0 that is pending on a lot of accounts is Republic Bank checking accounts so that they can provide the information to the IRS to send the actual deposits. – specifically TaxAct commented on Facebook to someone “As we are telling others, what’s happened is republic bank is verifying bank accounts so that the IRS knows they’re still active for when they reprocess stimulus payments. -EP”

23. Irritated

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam: H&r claims they mailed mines because it was sent to my old checking account. Like what is really going

24. KDinAZ

@Kimzie: love it. Use it for mine and my parents taxes last 5 years never had issues with them. In past i used taxslayer and had issues

@Kimzie: I’ve used it for years and like it, never had an issue with that software.

26. MsBee

@Heather va: when I received my first stimulus check it was in a white window envelope addressed from the Internal Revenue Service. The image was available on informed delivery. This second one is taking forever. Mail date 1/6 here in Texas.

27. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@texasmomof3: It really is sad bc a lot of us lost bank accounts due to the pandemic. How dare our government ASSUME we will have the same banking info from 2019 whilst in the midst of a pandemic? Sigh…

28. texasmomof3

@FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam:

So true, It’s sad we had to watch our law makers turn into to toddlers for 9 months and after the temper tantrums, they said, here, just give it to them and let the chips fall where they may. Beyond Sad.

29. sayitaintsostl

@Stay waiting: seriously i know its coming, The point of the relief is to have just that…relief..the only thing i have an issue with is the check system.

30. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@texasmomof3: it’s been rough y’all and it doesn’t help that ppl with closed bank accounts that need the money most are still waiting for a check.

31. FiledAlreadybcThatsHowBrokeIam

@Tjones: I filed with TaxSlayer. Last year I filed with them also and had no issues.

32. StellG83
      Texas
      Credit Union
    • TT 152, RN 9001

I’ve got the pending deposit of 0.00 from Republic Bank as well.

33. Nick

I use Chime so I can’t see pending deposits. However, lots of people are posting screenshots on a FB page I’m following. They’re all for $0 and say Republic EIM or something like that. Apparently some banks list pending deposits.

34. Otaku_Nana

@Stim/ check in MA: where did it mailed from if it have any info about where it was mailed from a lot of people would like to know. It would give us a time table on when we 1/6 would receive it in mail

35. neededthatmoneybadly

@Tjones: 15 days from the first payment? Because the first payment was sent to the Republic Bank accounts back on 12/29 which is 13 days ago today? That would mean that many of us should get a check this week– but TaxAct says something entirely different — stating that payments haven’t been processed back to us yet as of the 10th…

36. Nick

Anyone have a pending deposit for $0 from Republic? It looks like they’re doing account verification for the upcoming deposits by the IRS.

37. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
      CA
      MINE
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@texasmomof3: I am surely hoping so because I haven’t seen much if not anything of just situations where accounts were closed, not having to do with the mistake made with turbo and all of those guys.

38. texasmomof3

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam: You are not alone, My situation is the same as yours, I filed my taxes also. If I get double I will send one back and keep one. I was approved for the loan with turbbo tax, I’m just waiting for my return to be accepted with the IRS

39. texasmomof3

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: I haven’t, I’m going to call tomorrow. My bank sent the payment back, I confirmed that much, hopefully we receive a check as well.

40. Tjones

Hey everyone I talked to IRS this morning I got caught up in the taxact wrong bank account bs dd was rejected by republic bank and sent back to IRS the agent I spoke to said they will be issuing checks not dd so he told me look out for a check 15 days from when payment was sent out..I hope this helps someone

41. @nika911

i put in 2 returns today here in VA for 2020 tax season luckily they got both thre stimulus they can start from scratch with the irs baffoonnnner . lol but and they let me transmit them far as accepting them and starting them i have no ideo yet

42. Tjones

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam: Who did you file with..I did taxact for the past few years but they fucked us over this year I’m looking for a new company now

43. KDinAZ

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: no i havent im.in same boat as you. I will let you know if anything happens

44. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
      CA
      MINE
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

Has anyone with a closed account and not part of the third party fiasco get any cards/checks in the mail as of yet? Or any updates

45. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099
    • Weekly

Whelp another year the irs screwed me over… transcripts say 846 1/4, but nothing. I have became numb to their bs. I’m not rushing to do no taxes because they are going to hold my money to mid- Feb any how. Oh well!!!!!

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam: No judgement, its rough for a lot of people right now. If you receive the second payment before your return processes, I’m hoping that it will update on the transcript and show its already been issued. At least, thats my hope.

@Mbry0625:Yea, I don’t know. I went in and looked at the manual at the cycle codes just to get an idea how the processing is gonna go but with the stimulus issue, I’m not sure if they’re going to delay opening or not.

48. AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam

Not sure if we are speaking taxes in here yet but with the stimulus tracking tool, I had payment #2 go to the same bank account as payment #1 on 1/4/21 only I have changed bank accounts since the 1st $1200 stimulus and closed that one. I DID file my taxes already (no judgments) and when I filed I was asked if I received my $600 Stimulus and it informed me I would receive it with my refund.

49. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: I wonder when they’re even going to announce opening date.

50. Heather va

Anyone that received there check in mail used informed delivery actually seen the envelope image? Anyone in virginia received there check?

Back on topic please.

@Poohbear1983: Last year they started the 13th. Not sure if what is going on with the stimulus payments will delay anything.

53. Kendra

I live in SC and I still haven’t received anything by mail. This is sickening to say the least how they have us waiting for something that we all desperately need. If we don’t receive them by the 15th even after it says that it was scheduled to mailed on the 6th will we still be entitled to receiving one?

54. MsBee

@Goosie: same here. I have 5 pieces with no images according to informed delivery. I’m trying to stay positive but normally when it’s no images, it’s usually junk mail 😩

55. JoeExotic

@Kittiluv: Not the ones regarding TurboTax. The IRS simply sent the direct deposits to the account and routing numbers they had on file, which are NOT the account and routing numbers of their customers. If TurboTax gave the IRS the correct banking info and not these third party bank accounts, would we be having this problem?

56. JoeExotic

I am so sick of reading TurboTax blaming everything on the IRS. If TurboTax didnt set up all of those bobo third party bank accounts for their own advantage, we wouldnt have this problem. They need to own up to their mistakes. Cancel TurboTax!!!!!

57. beev_bove_biv

I keep seeing different things written different places. I’m on hold with the IRS to figure out when mine’s coming.

58. It'sMeAmandaHi

I’m in deep south Texas still waiting for check mailed 1/6 and i know several people with the same mail date haven’t received anything yet. Our mail man told me he had only delivered 3 checks in the last 7 days…

59. JustMe

Theres no reason for the gov whats so ever to even be mailing so many cards/checks! Supposed to have dd information for the majority, so should not be having these issues. Well except maybe those with closed accounts or those sent to TT, or H&R etc.. having sent to wrong accounts and all! They still couldn’t even get it right for those with no changes. Just hard to even think there are so many more issues, hold ups this time vs the first time! The maintenance they been doing surely does not seem to be helping, the wmr hasn’t worked since before they done maintenance on that, before Christmas, oh my gosh! Makes me think they know what their doing.

@Jane Doe: It’s really hard to say since checks are issued from various treasuries across the U.S. In Texas, I believe your check would come from Austin, since that is normally where refund checks come from. I’m wondering, since you stated that no one in your family has received one, if there is just an overwhelming amount of them that have to go out and since they can only process 5 to 7 million a week, if that could be causing the delay. They put the mailing date of 1/6 to make sure the system knows they have to go out, but they are not getting them processed as fast as before.

61. Jane Doe

Get my payment said mail date for 2nd check was 1/6. Still nothing. No one in my family with that mail date has received a check or debit card. Where are they mailed from? If DC, could the riot have slowed things down?

First check said it was mailed 5/15/20. It was received that day.

62. Lala

Mail date of 1/6 and informed delivery says nothing is coming today….again. I’m in IL. I got my first ones as a paper check after it was sent to a 3rd party account and it arrived the day after it was mailed. I haven’t seen anyone with a different date than the 6th, but I have read about people receiving theirs in the mail who had that date so I’m trying not to lose hope.