A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask all your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

Join the Conversation

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. Michelle

I got my check in the mail today I live in East Tennessee and my check said it was mailed out on 1/6

2. @nika911

@Sayitaintsostl: mwhat number did you call. beacuse i cal;led both numbers they been postin and i been gettin hung up on all day and a voicemail just now

3. sayitaintsostl

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: So my first stimulus was dd with no issues and this one was just mailed. the irs said she doesn’t know how this happened. She also says that if we don’t have it by the feb 6th then call back.

4. ItsMyMoney

Has anyone with PNC Bank received their stimulus yet? I filed 2019 taxes & received first stimulus payments via DD in April 2020. GMP currently shows no information avail.. 2020 account transcript shows 1/4 & 1/18. Any feedback would be great!

5. MsBee

I just received an email from informed delivery that I have 5 mail pieces with no images available. Earlier today it said I had no mail coming today. Crossing my fingers that it’s my stimulus check. Who knows at this point. I’ll update you. Our mail carrier is always late here in Texas. Doesn’t run till about 4:30-5:30 😩

6. JustMe

They have to be coming, the bank in town was pretty busy today for a Monday. Still a bit confusing how the first stimulus seemed to go a lot smoother than this time.

7. Meghan

@Jatara0114: same for me. IRS and Republic are saying in the next few weeks they are going to resend. Probably Dorext deposit straight from IRS not Republic like originally told the other day. It’s on the IRS website as of yesterday:

@AKT: Since the direct deposit was rejected and sent back, they may try to get a check issued and sent out to you.

@Kelly: 800-919-9835

10. AKT

My account was closed. I have not received a check or debit card in the mail. On my transcripts it says 766 tax relief credit 600 dollars for 1/18/21 than below it is 846 refund issued for 600 dollars 1/4/21 . Does that mean I’ll have to claim it as a tax credit or what ?

11. sayitaintsostl

@Junebug0625: no it wasn’t rejected, I asked why this happened and she said unfortunately I don’t have an answer.

12. Careonmom

Does anyone know exactly what state the stimulus checks are being mailed from? Is it one place or each state treasury

13. StellG83
      Texas
      Credit Union
    • TT 152, RN 9001

@Keeley: What was your situation? Were you part of the 01/04 DD that was sent to a closed temp account set up by your tax preparer?

14. Jatara0114

Hubby and I both had DD sent back to IRS week of dec 28th due to an irs error. We are still waiting for this problem to be corrected and so far no DD or mail. Called IRS this morning they are saying continue to check mail and debit cards smh we were rejected by republic bank anybody else having this problem?? Also republic bank states that even after Jan 15th they will continue sending out payments to those who missed DD due to error.

@PatientlyWaitinging&Lurking: Hasn’t been officially announced yet, but the assumption is if you have the stimulus credit and no path credits, it won’t be held, similar to the ctc credit.

16. GoDawgs

Seems to be taking a lot longer this year to get accepted after filing. Usually I get accepted with an hour or two. Its been two days this year…

17. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sayitaintsostl: may I ask what your scenario was? We’re you caught up on the fiasco?

18. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Taxevader562:
    I would think they do have proper funding. They just want that bigger piece of the pie that all businesses are seeking. No doubt they have been hurt by the internet and mail orders. Amazon and UPS kick stuff down to them for delivery. Improper management

19. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

Test

20. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@giraff3babylover:
    SMH..no more can be said. Between the IRS and USPS neither one is trying to help anyone out for real. IRS should have done DDs as they set up for correctly and USPS needs to get it together.
    I deliver for Amazon and we do not provide excuses, we just get it delivered!!!

21. Sayitaintsostl

So I just got off the phone with the IRS… they said I WILL be receiving my full amount and it should be here any day now. It went out on 1/6. She was really nice.

22. giraff3babylover
      NC
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

No, check/card in the mail for me. 1/6 mail date on portal.

23. CarKam2021

@KDinAZ: okay thank you. I haven’t seen anyone else use this company and have an issue.

The account I used for taxes and first stimulus is still my current account but lo and behold it’s a totally different account listed for the second smh

24. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@@nika911: oh no! Ugh that’s just not right at all. Some ppl were hoping for this stimulus to be able to catch up etc. I’m hoping we all get some sort of info or checks something

25. Junebug0625

@@nika911: That’s the same thing that happened to me. Like what’s the point of calling the number if they ain’t going to help anyway.

26. @nika911

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: i held for hour n half. Lady finally anserred. She said dont sgare ur ssn ur address or anything personal. That cut my whole reason for calling right. Then i asjed bout my stimulus. How my acct went from ssn to not avail she placed me on hold then it hung up. That line isnt giving people specific info about there stimulus hell you cant even give them your social so they cant help us at all. Wastw of an hour almost burned my food tryin to stay on hold and move aroun the kitchen

27. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Junebug0625: I’m hoping so! I’m going to put on my super extra nice voice hahaha

28. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking

@Bama91: 800-919-9835

29. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

Called stimulus line and was immediately placed on hold to speak with someone. If you’re trying to get in, I would try around this time.

30. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

Has anyone heard anything about the path since some might have to claim the rebate to receive theirs. will they have to walk the path if applies?

@Junebug0625: I’m sorry, sometimes you get some good ones, sometimes not any help. I always try to call early, seems like they’re nicer in the morning.

32. KDinAZ

@CarKam2021: i use freetaxusa and my stimulus was sent to a closed bank account i use to have. So im still waiting

33. Junebug0625

@Sheila_33: I tried calling gave me a whole speech on how they can’t get into my account and only give me generic info. Which is the same useless info I already have… So the rep was useless. And I’m back at square one not knowing anything

@Goducks: She said there were messages and then a hold for a rep. She called about 8 in the morning.

35. CarKam2021

Anyone use freetaxusa that didn’t pay from refund
    ( I didn’t owe and I didn’t receive a refund)
    Not received your second stimulus? The first stimulus was direct deposit just fine , second went to unknown account. Freetaxusa says they never received anything from irs.

36. Pie1999

Jackson hewitt updated their site about when their customer’s will receive the stimulus check..by February 1st
    Not sure how to file taxes before that when having to answer if I received my 2 nd stimulus

37. Wolfhound

@texasmomof3: My acct was and is open. There was no reason it would not have deposited. I did not use a third party bank. I should ha have just gone right on to my tt card. I have yet to get an explanation of why I’m waiting on a paper check?

38. Irritated

H&R Block automatic system said they are mailing my stimulus check after it was sent back from my closed account at the bank. Anyone else having this issue??

39. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sheila_33: I think I will try that. thank you!

40. texasmomof3

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: Okay, I will post if I manage to talk with someone, in the mean time, I have letter coming on informed delivery that has no image, my mail delivers after 5, I will update if it something from the IRS.

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: When my daughter called, she didn’t push any options and waited and it sent her to a rep.

42. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@texasmomof3: yes I’ve just tried a few times too. I’m thinking maybe they are just bombarded with calls? I’ll try again later in the day and in the mean time try to find a way for a live rep as well. I’ll keep you posted!

43. TeeDee44

My cousin owes taxes this year. She made 62k. She has to file to get her stimulus payment which suxks because she owes taxes. She wont get anything. Wheres her relief.

44. texasmomof3

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: I have called several times myself to no avail, someone posted how to get a rep and I can’t find the post. I had a screenshot of it.

45. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@texasmomof3: I believe the number Sheila gave is for the stimulus department at IRS. Just trying to figure out how to get a live rep. I’m calling again now to see if maybe I missed an option

46. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: any idea on how to talk to a live rep? For some reason it just kept giving me informational responses lol unless they are just tooo busy

47. texasmomof3

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking:

I will keep you updated, Iast stimulus cycle, I thought I saw someone say they spoke directly with the treasury department about the status of their stimulus check, if or when it was issued. I’m not really hungry sure, I’m wondering if we can talk to the treasury department directly.

48. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sheila_33: I will try that! Thank you :)

49. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@texasmomof3: same here, following. Would be ridiculous to have to wait to receive with taxes if it was meant for now, especially for those walking path like myself and I don’t usually see my return until may.

@PatientlyWaiting&Lurking: Have you called the stimulus number? 800-919-9835 You may be on hold for awhile, but hopefully they can tell you whats going on.

51. texasmomof3

@Cj: I read the update sent out by the IRS, it seems like they are only correcting the issues that occurred with the tax preparers customers.

That doesn’t pertain to me, mine went directly to my bank, no middle man, and it was rejected because my account was closed.

Is the IRS going to correct the issue with payments that went to closed accounts for everyone or just those that used a tax preparer account?

52. PatientlyWaiting&Lurking
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

Is there anyone we can ca to verify that the deposit has been rejected and if a check or card is being mailed out? (Updated info in portal previously for first stim but account has since been closed)

53. Mom2ohio

@JustMe: I had to call the exam department today and they were wonderful. I told her I mailed my info in November, she said they never received it despite USPS saying otherwise. She gave me the fax number and called me back to say she got them.

54. Cj

Important Message
    January 10th Update on the second round of Economic Impact Payments (EIP-2)

Today, due to our continued action along with our tax preparation partners’ efforts, the IRS has committed to make special payments directly to our affected customers, either by direct deposit or check, no later than February 1st.

We’ve advocated for you on a daily basis, working with the IRS, the Bureau of Fiscal Services, and the Treasury for the quickest possible transfer of funds to you. Due to these efforts, the IRS’s commitment for sending special payments significantly improves upon its previous plan to provide these funds as part of your tax refund in 2021.

For more details, please review the IRS’s statement at https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-statement-jan-10-2021-update-on-economic-impact-payments

We understand how important it is for you to receive these funds as soon as possible, and while we are disappointed the IRS was unable to correct its error sooner, it has accepted responsibility for the delay. This new commitment from the IRS means you will receive your funds weeks earlier than if you needed to wait for your tax refund.

We will not rest and will continue working with the IRS to ensure our customers receive the funds they are due as quickly as possible. To stay apprised of new details and timing of payments, please continue to check here for updates.

55. Cj

anuary 10, 2021

The IRS continues to take additional steps to get the second Economic Impact Payments to more eligible taxpayers. In addition to redirecting payments to the proper accounts, the IRS and tax industry partners worked over the weekend to help a smaller set of impacted taxpayers.

Following extensive work and discussions with our industry partners, the IRS will reissue payments for taxpayers who did not receive the second Economic Impact Payment in instances where the bank account identified in our records has been closed. This impacts taxpayers whose tax preparation providers followed initial IRS guidance and are now waiting for the IRS to re-process payments related to these accounts. Payments will be issued directly from the government later this month (our industry partners are not in possession of these funds), within weeks of the law being enacted. For people in this group, payments may be issued either as a paper check or as a direct deposit. Taxpayers do not need to take any action or call; this will be done automatically. The IRS regrets the inconvenience caused by this situation.

56. MelloDello53
      VA
      American Express Serve/stimulus received 4/10/20 and 12/30/20
    • Schedule C, 1099
    • TT 152, Daily

Filed Federal return on the 6th of January waiting to be accepted, I hope all goes well, last year I received refund on the 23rd of January when the IRS opened on the 27th. This year they open on the 25th and I should get return on the 21st after 5pm, I have a simple return and no tax credits, hooray. Good luck to all. Also I was accepted on the 13th of January last year so should be the same this year. I always get my tax return 5 days early.

57. MsBee

No mail for today according to informed delivery so that means no check either. This is so frustrating. Mail date was 1/6. I’m here in Texas. 😩

58. texasmomof3

Morning y’all

I’m simply confused, and I know everyone else is. My situation is my money went to a closed account I had with bbva, the bank sent it back to the irs, the bank rep said the IRS will send me a check. The Article I read said the IRS will not reissue checks that are returned due to a closed account and you would need to file this on your taxes.

With receiving conflicting information, I don’t know if I will be issued a check or if I need to file the money on my taxes or if I will get a check.

Any advice is welcomed.

59. Playgirl1

@Junebug0625: Thanks. I pray that’s the case. I spoke with someone at the IRS this morning. And we said all she an say is that they are still work to fix the error. And anybody who was affected by it should receive a check by the 15th if not we would have to file it on our taxes as a recovery rebate credit. SMH let’s pray that we don’t have too.

60. MelloDello53
      VA
      American Express Serve/stimulus received 4/10/20 and 12/30/20
    • Schedule C, 1099
    • TT 152, Daily

@Wolfhound: Mail may arrive several days after you receive this notification. Please allow up to a week for delivery before reporting missing mail.
    USPS.com Informed Delivery COMING TO YOUR MAILBOX SOON.I have also read that the USPS is under staffed and some mail can take up to 14 days, I am in Virginia and my Mom sent me a certified package and it took 11 days to get to me and she is in North Carolina. The USPS is slowing down more and more.

@WaitinginginSC3: They will most likely take the debt, and issue you the remainder.

62. Bama91

Frustrated 😒 GMP says not available still 😡🤬😤 and I been checking the mailbox just in case and still nothing. Chase don’t have a pending deposit for me .. so Wer the hell is my money 😩

63. Junebug0625

I see on the igmr fb people who had there direct deposit rejected for the 4th are receiving the Visa cards in the mail.. So maybe there is hope after all.

64. WaitingInSC3

If I’m on a payment plan for IRS debt, would my 2021 refund go towards that debt, and I get the difference?

65. Endurance

First this website doesnt let me open the menu item. Second i got a piece of mail that said important information about your economic impact payment but when looked at it on informed delivery it looks like a flyer. N i cant sr d a pic to you at att

66. KDinAZ

I finally got ahold of netspend after trying for days and they confirmed they rejected my stimulus on the 4th

67. Peachylover

I got another email from TT saying it will probably be the end of the month before I get my stimulus.

68. JustMe

This whole cluster is going to end up delaying refunds somehow this year. Still waiting here for 2019 refund and stimulus. Just sad

69. KDinAZ

@Sheila_33: somethings up with them and whats concerning is netspend uses metabank who is issuing the eip debit cards

@Kdinaz: I honestly have not, which has surprised me. Netspend is a popular card that people use to get their refunds 2 or 3 days faster, and because of that, I have been shocked by there just being a few. Maybe 15 at the most.

71. Wolfhound

Welp no check coming to my mail box again today. I guess it has only been 4 mail moving days since the 6th. Mail is 3 to 5 days right? I guess I will start to question the validity of this if it’s not here tomorrow. Does anyone else see a check coming today?

@KDinAZ: I’m not aware of any code for a rejected direct deposit, there may be one, but I haven’t dug enough into the codes.