Where’s My Refund? For all the people impatiently waiting.

A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask all your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

Join the Conversation

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. DemeJ
      Michigan
      Traditional-TCF BANK
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C
    • Weekly

@woodysgirl89: we are the same here hoping we update Friday.

2. Mia

@Pc: where does it says your deposit is from!? I got a deposit I just want to make sure it’s the right one

3. KinFl
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2

@Sheila_33: your theory gives me hope, but I’m a little nervous on the inside right now. I have no doubt the IRS was overwhelmed and the lack of testing probably had a lot to do with it.

4. ebony
      IL
      green dot
    • 1099, W2

Hello, I just woke up to an alert from my bank and my refund was deposited. I a still on one bar on WMR. I wasnt able to order transcripts. I files a little early and got accepted the 12th. This has never happened to me before. I normally have some kind of flag or something. I am single, no dependents, a student, I have a full time job and a side 1099 job. I hope other people woke up to the same thing.

@DemeJ: That date is irrelevant as far as the returns go. What I believe happened is last Fridays normal update for dailys/weeklys couldn’t complete for a bunch of people because of the system going down. Everyone affected by it is stuck until they can cycle thru again.

6. Pc

Refund hit.
    Filed 2/12. Accepted 2/12.
    FreetaxUSA
    Transcript showed 846 for 2/23
    WMR one bar
    Traditional bank

Good luck all.

7. Frankie99

@Salavere: I filed and was excepted the 8th of feb my transcript has a as of date of the 22nd it flipped to March 3, then filled back to feb 22 and now my bars disappeared and it says I’m still being processed topic 152.

8. Peachy

@Irving: congratulations… my ring is still red 😞😔 how long did it take for your ring to turn green

9. Miranda

If I’m still stuck on one bar and a red circle thru tt bank is there a good chance ill get my return… there’s a chance I could get rejected if my ex tried to claim my daughter which he’s not supposed to because I’ve had her all year

10. Nikipooh

I’m wondering if everyone who filed early and still shows N/A, get the credit for making less in 2020 vs 2019?

11. DannyWright
      Chime
    • Identity Theft

Still no movement for me

12. Irving

Good morning! My TPG ring is green with a refund amount but no deposit yet only says the amount Paid to me on the bottom which was my refund advance wheres my refund still says processing

13. woodysgirl89
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Weekly

@KDinAZ: no changes here. As of date is 3/8. Only change I’ve seen is my as of moving from 2/22 to 3/8 and that was on the 19th (Friday). I’m not checking again til Friday morning

14. vhasx3
    • Weekly

Did anyone get an update

15. woodysgirl89
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Weekly

@DemeJ: your as of changed to 3/8 on Friday right? If so, check for an update Friday morning. That’s when I’m gonna check again..
    Bc it’s obvious I’m still a weekly lol.

16. Mrs T

Good morning…I woke up this morning and my refund was deposited…. married filing jointly, filed 2/11, accepted 2/13 after being rejected 3 times, 2 dependents, education credits, transcripts updated 2/21, my spouse owed the irs, they took what he owed and sent us the rest…WMR is saying being processed…This is the fastest I have ever seen them move…It always took them the full 21 days or more to process my return…I pray that each and every one of you will see movement and have your refunds deposited by the end of this week in Jesus Name🙏🏽🙏🏽

17. DemeJ
      Michigan
      Traditional-TCF BANK
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: what about the ppl with the 2/22 as of date

18. Frankie99

My bars disappeared now it says my return is still being processed. With topic 152. Anyone have this happen? My as of date was the 22nd of feb

@DemeJ: Only if your return has cycled thru and processed, do the “as of” dates come into play. For those that have received their stimulus payments, those past “as of” dates mean nothing.

20. Blessed2bme89

Y’all better check ur banks check mine for another deposit and shocked my refund in there and still nothing on wmr 😳

21. Mommyof6

Check your bank account I filed 2/14 accepted same day Wmr one bar money in my account this morning

22. DemeJ
      Michigan
      Traditional-TCF BANK
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C
    • Weekly

Guess those as of dates don’t mean a thing

23. Lashes

Filed 2-10, Accepted 2-12, TT w/ fees taken out of refund, nothing SBTPG, transcripts say N/A, 1 bar on WMR.
    And still no movement or deposit.

24. Wildwonderfulwv
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Christine: same boat. It’s nuts.

25. Peachy

Has anyone red circle 🔴 turned green yet!!! I’m so confused Sbbt automated system still says that haven’t received my tax return,

@Babyblueeyezs: Call this number and request a payment trace. 800-919-9835

27. KinFl

Morning everyone! No update. It’s like my return is stuck in time…

28. Babyblueeyezs

How can I trace my simlace check they said it was mailed out Feb 5th 2021 still nothing illinois area

I’ve seen a few transcripts updating so don’t get discouraged.

30. Patiently waiting
      NFCU
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Nita: no still waiting

31. DemeJ
      Michigan
      Traditional-TCF BANK
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C
    • Weekly

I don’t see anyone saying anything about transcripts!!!!! So I won’t check mine. Don’t feel like being disappointed

32. Jenn1983

So this morning I had bars and being processed now I have no bars and it says still being processed

33. xxcoolbrittxx

@•°Karma°•: you’re going to be fine. Your money will be in your account soon. Keep the faith.

34. xxcoolbrittxx

WMR is not reliable this year guys. There are tons of people who are stuck on one bar or have still being processed message and are seeing their money in their accounts. Check your bank accounts daily. It’s coming.

35. Texaslife

Wanted to share hope for everyone, my refund is in my account this morning, and wmr is still on one bar. Accepted 2/12 with the child credits.

36. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      BBVA USA

This not knowing anything is really starting to worry me. I don’t want to have another 2017 & 2018 year again. 😞

37. Christine
      Alabama
      USAA
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

I’m still stuck with my transcripts saying N/A. It’s just crazy to see people who were accepted after me already get their refund.

38. Nita

Has anybody who filed 2/11 has anybody who was accepted 2/11 hear anything?? Im starting to think we were forgotten cuz now 2/19s have ddd for 2/26

39. Salavere
      MS
      Walmart Money Card
    • Education Credit (8863), W2

An nothing on my transcript and my
    “as of date” is still saying 02/22/21. I was accepted on the 11th at noon and through freetaxusa. I filed on the February 2nd or 3rd. I haven’t any update on my stuff.

40. Salavere
      MS
      Walmart Money Card
    • Education Credit (8863), W2

@Doliver1336: Was the TN office even open due to the weather and ice? I’m in MS and basically all federal agencies closed for the whole week!

41. Sly36

@AshCakes: yes I know I was feeling same cause cant see ours either online
    .good news Is wmr not updating doesnt mean couldnt be on the way to you. I hope you have something soon ..dont give up hope I know that’s difficult but try to have hope

42. Sly36

@Doliver1336: I’m sorry..it didn’t accept our auto loan so couldnt ours either ..and with wmr not updating idk how can check it besides them ..I hope you get something soon

43. Doliver1336

@sly36 I’m not sure I can get any of that I try to stay out of debt so I don’t have credit cards home loans any of that so it says they can’t verify my identity:/

44. AshCakes

@Sly36: yeah i know i was just hoping for a little glimmer of hope 😂 because I cant check transcripts. So hopefully since my state finally got approved maybe I’ll see a deposit soon. Fingers crossed

45. Sly36

@Samantha: yes I know the feeling we cant see transcripts online and only one bar on wmr so till we got our refund on our card yesterday morning I was feeling the same and it sucks ..just dont give up hope because can still get it with no update to wmr

46. Sly36

@Doliver1336: check transcript because wmr hasn’t been updating..people getting deposit without it updating

47. Doliver1336

Filed on the 9th accepted the 10th from Tennessee filed married joint and 2 kiddos anyone have an ideal or anything on when to expect???? I’m new to tax things idk how to check all those things wmr is one bar.

48. Samantha

@Sly36: Ok thanks, just trying to be patient but having no update or anything is driving me nuts. Lol.

49. Sly36

@AshCakes: nobody has really updated on wmr . We have one bar got refund on netspend Monday morning! My sister has one bar had it Saturday and my daughter in law one bar got hers Monday morning too so the bars and wmr doesnt matter

50. Shunboh

@Shades: nys refund gonna take like a week or two after you get your federal they said 30 days and the refund will be released New York sucks duck

51. Sly36

@Samantha: no it wont we had some too ..and we only have one bar on wmr and our redund was on netspend at 9 am Monday wine war is updated yet and still getting refunds

52. Shunboh

@Don25: my wmr is still one bar but money is gonna hit clear my account today sbtpg is updating more than wmr yesterday it was a red circle for 10 hours then boom green circle

53. Salavere
      MS
      Walmart Money Card
    • Education Credit (8863), W2

@Hmm?: naw I haven’t at all

54. Samantha

Nothing for me, filed through H&R BLOCK Jan 31st, accepted February 10th. Claimed EITC/CHILD TAX CREDIT. I was on unemployment, not sure if that would mess anything up or delay it…
    Still stuck at one bar, no update on my NYS return being accepted either. I was hoping today would be my lucky day.

55. Nya

@Hmm?: yes. I filed 3 people with them and all transcripts show ddd for 2/24 AND they received unemployment.

56. Shades

Anyone got ny state refunds yet? Got accepted but no other info smh. The city is broke so I bet they ain’t trying to pay out anytime soon

57. Steve in Florida

Funny how they can deposit stimulus payment in just a few days but drag it out when it comes to tax returns

58. AshCakes

Well I just checked on my state and it was finally approved on Feb 22nd. Hopefully I’ll see some movement with my federal.

59. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

For those in the as of 01/18 club, someone on the Facebook page for this site just said her husband is secondary and his said as of 01/18, single, etc. and hers – the primary – had a different as of state, correct filing status, and full stimulus details.

60. Hmm?

@Akwildbaby: greeting worried so many people who filed after me are getting updates or deposits. the other day I saw a few people saying that the refund amounts from freetax was wrong bc of unemployment

61. Don25
      michigan
      Fifth Third
    • 1099
    • Daily

@Don25: WMR still 1

62. mzfay

Filed 2/13
    Accepted 2/13
    DD 2/22.
    PATH / EITC
    Mind you guys irs still shows one bar. Irs needs to get it together and everybody gets their money!

63. Don25
      michigan
      Fifth Third
    • 1099
    • Daily

Just git my refund. transcript issue date was 2/23 …Good luck everyone.

64. Patiently waiting
      NFCU
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Akwildbaby: me either 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

65. amarie

Why would I need an ip pin after several years I have been filing my same children and had the same job and a basic return?? My address doesn’t even match on file with the IRS. HOW???