Join Live Discussion

For all the people impatiently waiting on tax refunds.

A grapevine for taxpayers, by taxpayers.

Ask all of your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

🚨 IRS Letter 6419 and Letter 6475 important for some tax returns to reduce errors and delays.

IRS Letter 6419 and 6475

Check the mail for IRS Letter 6419 and IRS Letter 6475 to prepare your Tax Return. (Letter 6475 only applies to the third round of Economic Impact Payments.) The IRS stated information in the letters will help to reduce errors and delays. IRS started sending the letters to people who received the advance child tax credit payments and third Economic Impact Payments. The letter 6419 includes the total amount of advance child tax credit payments taxpayers received in 2021 and the number of qualifying children used to calculate the advance payments. The letter 6475 will help Economic Impact Payment recipients determine if they are entitled to and should claim the recovery rebate credit. The amount is needed to file tax return. Here is the statement from them about IRS Letter 6419 and 6475.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2022?

The IRS will begins accepting tax returns on January 24, 2022. In 2021 the IRS did not start accepting tax returns until February 4, 2021 due to changes in legislation.

When Can You File Taxes in 2022?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2022 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2022 tax season (2021 tax year) have been updated with 2022 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2022 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

esmart tax

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Comment Notes

What Others Are Saying

1. Lisa in Atlanta
      Turbo Tax
      Netspend
    • 4464C LETTER
    • W2

OK, so been waiting on that 570 to clear since sending in documents last June and my As Of Dates have changed twice in the last two weeks. December 20th and now January 15th. I still don’t have any new codes though??!! Could I finally be getting closer.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@DrBlute: I agree, and a lot of variables last year so hopefully this year goes more smoothly. Thank you for sharing.🙂

3. DrBlute

@Sheila_33: yes this I get I just figured I’d share my info with others income the same and also the depends the same young under 10 both

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@DrBlute: A lot depends on the taxable income, and age of dependents, but if you’re lower income as a previous user stated, then most likely you’ll get the balance of the actc credits added to the refund and it will be much more than the actc from last year.

5. DrBlute

Happy tax season everyone. I filed and also got the advanced child tax credit. But my return amount is the same as last year not more income is still the same nothing has changed filed with TurboTax

6. Nikki_1220
      Ga
      Current
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

Hey guys we are back for another tax season how’s everyone doing

7. Smg

My amended return from August still isn’t processed, but the as of safe changed from October 4 to January 3, so maybe that’s a good sign? 😅

8. Monee

@ghee: Don’t be scared. It’s supposed to be way more because of the extra credits. It’s the other half of your ctc payments in a lump sum

9. Monee

Quick question……what will happen if I file taxes without the state tax ID number? Will it hold things up?

10. Gemineye♢Beauty
      Turbo Tax
      Ga
      Turbo Tax Card
    • Cycle Code:
      20210905
    • As of:
      Apr-5
    • Processing Date:
    • 4464C LETTER
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@MargeInCharge: my 2020 trans are gone too and i have been able to see them all year. So I’m hoping it’s because they are finally working on ny return because I’ve had a freeze code since February and have now received 1 dime from return, ctc or the last stimulus.

11. ghee

@Love mom: I’m also curious I received all ctc payments and I all my numbers in correctly I never got a refund more then $8000 with 4 children and it’s way over what I usually get I’m scared to file now

12. MizuSeirei

My guess is the TA didn’t know what they were doing. TA’s are supposed to know to do some research for you when you are out of options. They are supposed to be your inside link to the IRS. If you are in a hardship, they are supposed to inform the IRS that you are in a hardship, and see if things can be expedited. If you are still waiting on a refund after the 6 week mark, they are supposed to look into the issue for you. This TA seemed to either blow you off, or just didn’t know what the duties of their job was. Try contacting another TA, or going up to your local IRS office. I prefer the office visits, because I’m at the source of all of the information, and just about every type of employee are there, with the exceptions of the CI’s, RA’s, RO’s, and Processors.

13. Janet

My son and daughter in law was placed in review last February. Tax advocate recommended them to file an amendmet. They did this. There is no movement on transcripts at all just amended return filed. We called tax advocate back and now they say they can’t be of any help. Is there anyone who knows who we may can contact at the irs to get this situation resolved. My husband and I have been helping them with finances to the point now ours are very strained.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@BB: Really depends on why it’s been delayed. If it’s a review of income or credits it could delay it until the previous year has been processed.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Love Mom: The reason the refund amount is higher is most likely because of the remaining half of the 2021 additional child tax credit that is due you. You already received the first half, that’s what the previous 6 months of payments were.

16. BB

How does an unprocessed 2020 amended return effect the upcoming tax season? Will it delay this year’s refund?
    moderated

17. Love mom

@Sheila_33: l have received the child’s credit monthly pmts (July 15-Dec15 2021) and stilmus ep3 so why still higher
    ? I’m asking because I don’t need delay

18. Annaka

@Sheila_33: Thank you so much. I’m going to order another transcript for him. It was saying n/a for the longest. I just assumed it said that because it hasn’t been processed yet. I’ll fill the form out also. Thank you very much!

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Annaka: Just checked the manual and it states “Criteria 5 is met when the problem or inquiry is delayed more than 30 days beyond the normal response time for a particular action”. So, my 16 weeks was a little too much. My apologies. If I was in your position, I would either try to view that transcript online by making an account, or I would order them and it would take approximately 10 days to receive. That way, at least you could see what the hold up is. I would also fax a 911 form in and request an advocate. Good luck!

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Love mom: It is the balance of the additional child tax credit for 2021. If they had not sent those advanced credits last year monthly, you would have had a credit of 12000 dollars on your return this year.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Annaka:For him to be stuck for so long means there’s an issue. When your return is accepted, it waits in que to be sent thru and either updates to a refund date or a hold. Could be for verification of credits/and or income or it could be for the mandatory Feb. 15th release of refunds with child credits. So when an Irs rep says “it’s still being processed”, then it’s basically waiting for someone to manually address it. If you’re able to see his transcripts online, that would help to see if there are any codes. If not, order them by mail. Transcripts are the best way to see what’s going on with the return.
    It’s not true that he’s not eligible for an advocate if he doesn’t have one. After so many weeks, 16, I believe, he is eligible without a hardship. I’ll have to look into the Irs manual to be sure. If you’re getting nowhere calling, fax a 911 advocate request form to the local advocates office in your state. They will look into the return and call him.

22. Annaka

@Sheila_33: The IRS keeps telling him there is nothing wrong, they are just behind. That they can’t do anything because nothing is wrong, it’s just being processed. Every time he calls they say the same thing. And the TA says he has to have proof of a hardship for him to get a TA, and he isn’t behind on anything to prove a hardship. I filed his on Feb. 12th when they started accepting them last year, and I had a few people go to being processed for a while, but this is just ridiculous. He’s claiming his daughter, and didn’t even get the advanced ctc like every one else because his return was never processed. I have never had anyone’s return to take this long. Do you have a number he can call maybe? I really don’t know what he should do at this point. Thanks

23. AmberinIndiana

Hi, I am still waiting on my refund from 2020. It was rejected by my bank and it was not mailed to me like the irs said it would be. It has been sitting in my irs account since 3/2020. I was finally able to talk to someone and he said there was a hold on it. Since then, I was able to look at my transcripts and there was a 570 code and about two weeks later a code 571 popped up. Does anyone have an estimate on how much longer it should take for them to mail the check?

24. kathyarzola

Has anyone gotten notice from the healthcare marketplace that their 1095-a form is ready for viewing yet?

25. Love mom

@Sheila_33: ok thank you for the reply. The other half that you are talking about is it for 2022? I put both Advance Child credit and third stimulus And the amount is very large and it was never like this ?!

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Annaka: He can but if last years return is still being processed, it might slow things down if what they’re looking at from last year is a review of income or dependents. When did he file last year? Depending on the length of time processing, the Ta should have a better answer than when the Irs is ready. At least, they could tell you if it’s a hold or an identity issue. You might consider calling the Tas supervisor, and just asking what the hold up is.

27. Annaka

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I did my cousins taxes last year, and it still says being processed. Do I have to wait until he gets his refund from last year before I file this year’s? He never got his refund, child tax credit or his unemployment refund, nothing. The irs says there’s nothing wrong its just being processed, and the tax advocate said the irs will release it when they are ready (the TA exact words) What can I do?

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Love mom: I think you may be fine, since the other half of the advanced child tax credits are going to be added to your refund this year. 4 children for 6 months would total $6000, so most likely that’s why your refund jumped up so much.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@MargeInCharge: Nice to see ya Marge, hope your Christmas was good. As decent as it can be with grandkids, lol. I wondered where you were and how things were going. It’s possible everything is updating since it’s a new tax season, since my 2020 is not showing now, but was a month ago. I wouldn’t stress too much since things seem to be slow updating. Fingers crossed you have a smooth year, since you definitely deserve it.

30. DebMom
      Turbo Tax
      Texas
      Credit Karma
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@MSRazorbackPhD: thanks

31. Love mom

Hi Shiela and all I have filed jointly and I have low income I put the stimulus checks that we received and Adavance child Credit I have 4 kids and I just had a baby this year in June 2021 and the amount is higher by $6000 of last year refund than I expected . Do you think that there is something wrong or is this all correct?!!

32. Love mom

Hi I have filed jointly and I have low income I put the stimulus checks that we received I have 4 kids and I just had a baby last year in June 2021 and the amount is higher by $6000 on last year than I expected. Do you think that there is something wrong or is this all correct?

33. lurking

I was going to efile today but decided to come here and see if anyone has been accepted. It looks like I will have to wait haha.

34. justlikestealing

Filed earlier today with FreeTaxUSA……. Now just hoping my return is as fast as last year, which was a record for me. refund posted 9 days after being accepted
    moderated

35. MargeInCharge
      Turbo Tax
      Missouri
      Great Southern Bank
      Blank
    • As of:
      Apr-26
    • 1040, Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, Stimulus

Hey Shelia!! Hope everything is decent with the grandkids and they had a great Christman. I have a question that I could probably find way back in the chat, but nothing so far. So haven’t gotten last years yet, which is why nobody has seen me… but 2021 full Tran is not there yet… ok fine. Today I looked and 2020 is n/a too… haven’t been audited (Please sweet baby Jesus). Just wondering why. I’ve really just given up on getting it, but I thought I’d ask.

36. MelloDello53
      Virginia
      GO2Bank
      Daily
    • 1040, Schedule C, 1099

Just filed taxes hopefully in test batch. Easy return no EITC. Here we go again folks. Good luck to us all.

37. Chris
      Turbo Tax
      TN
      Credit Karma
      Weekly
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099

Hello everyone! Who’s ready for the new tax year of craziness?!

38. KinFl
      Turbo Tax
      Daily
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

Happy New Year!! I’m afraid to even try and start my taxes right now, especially after last tax season. Hoping for an easy year this year!!
    Glad to be back!

39. Amy Spence
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), 1099, W2

@ConfusedInOhio: I used it 2 years ago. It is free, but costs a lot of money to withdraw money from card and very low limits. Hope this helps!

40. [email protected] i

been waiting since Feb 21. for 2020 refund sent 1095a in Aug told to wait 120 days which expired Dec 15, 21. then told they did a referral that I did not request and now being told to wait another 60 days. I don’t believe anything the IRS has to say. they lied when they said I would have my refund or explaination within the 120 days, now they say I should have it in 60. I think NOT. I check transcripts daily with no updates since May 21. Can anyone please help me?

41. Samiam

Anyone know when the CTC form will be available to file through IRS? Turbotax said today but I just tried to submit and was not able to. Also, anyone get accepted to a test batch?

42. Vintagescare

I just spoke to TT and they are stating we can’t transmit until the season opens now.

43. MassageMama
      Turbo Tax
      PA
      Traditional

@Vintagescare: same here!!

44. Vintagescare

I am trying to submit my taxes on TT but I keep getting an error the efile system isn’t ready. ???

45. DebMom
      Turbo Tax
      Texas
      Credit Karma
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@ConfusedInOhio: any idea what the requirements are?

46. ConfusedInOhio

Anyone going to use the TurboTax loan? I’ve never tried to get one before

47. TXBAMA

@Jig: that’s Awesome!!

48. Amy19
      Apr-21
    • Cycle Code:
      20211603
      Daily
    • As of:
    • Processing Date:
      May-10
    • 1040, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:
      Apr-26

@Jig: Congratulations! It would be wonderful to see more people get their 846 this week.
    moderated

49. Jig

I amended my taxes in July 2021 got a date on my transcript for Jan.3rd 846

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@Amy19: Good morning Amy and thank you for your kind thoughts. From what I’ve seen in the past, the amendeds didn’t affect the next years returns very much and there are most likely going to be a lot of those since yours isn’t the only one I’ve seen. They’ve gotta be manually processed and with things the way they are, that process has slowed to a crawl, sadly. As far as this tax season, the stimulus payments that shifted things last year aren’t in play to bog down the system with verifications so that’s a positive. Scheduling of the hub testing is what may determine how quick returns process this year and as of yet, I haven’t heard any dates. Hopefully, not February, since that became a nightmare with so many returns going in and tax season starting so late. Stay safe, fingers crossed this is a smoother year for everyone.

51. Amy19
      Apr-21
    • Cycle Code:
      20211603
      Daily
    • As of:
    • Processing Date:
      May-10
    • 1040, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:
      Apr-26

@Sheila_33: Hello Sheila. I hope and pray your family had a good Christmas with positive memories of your daughter. Any ideas on being stuck still on “as of October 4th”. I am assuming the amended hold up won’t have any bearing on this next tax return. Some people on here who also were stuck on 10/4 have finally gotten their 846 but not many. I have given up on calling, it is not worth the frustration of being on hold and being told give us 30 more day, short handed staff etc. Hopefully there is a quick turn around time frame this tax season, but like most everyone else, I won’t hold my breath. Thanks for your time.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@AlreadyOverit: If the audit is verifying dependents/income and he files the same way this year, then it may slow down the processing of this year’s return. Really depends on what they’re looking at.

53. AlreadyOverIt

Hi guys! Just wondering, my husband’s return has been under review since May 2020 and he faxed the docs in on June 3, 2020 to which he never received a response. His transcripts haven’t changed since the TC 420 was put on it in April and now it’s time to file again — are they going to hold this year’s refund too until they sort out last year’s?? Or is there a chance it’ll process as normal?

54. KeKe
      Turbo Tax
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

55. NYnic

Happy New Year everyone!

56. MSRazorbackPhD

@Janet (not logged in): Impressive! Hoping you get accepted, early, and get your loan🤑!

57. Janet (not logged in)

@MSRazorbackPhD: Yes mam. Just waiting on acceptance by irs to get my loan. My preparer was set to test his efile systems yesterday but they was not working right for him. Even if its accepted now, we won’t see our original refund until mid to late February because of the Path Act.

• Earned Income Tax Credit

@justFEDup: It is a right to appeal notice. Could be in reference to a amount owed and they are giving you a chance to appeal before they start acting on it.

59. MSRazorbackPhD

@Janet: You’ve filed?

60. justFEDup
      Texas
      Chime
      Take Action
      No Access
    • Identity Theft
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

Can anyone tell me what Notice 1450 is?

61. Janet

@Samiam: My tax preparer tried his systems today, but before he closed it still wasn’t going through. Waiting on our tax loan we deseperatly need it now.

62. Samiam

@Janet: im waiting on that too

63. Janet

Does anyone know when the irs is doing the test hub this year?

64. Judee V. Regan

Am I getting my Golden State Stimulus?
    Judee Veronica Regan
    moderated

65. Fed+tf+up+wit+the+IRS

Never got my 2020 refund got audited in 5/15/21 Sent docs back 5/24/21 still nothing got a T.A.S Advocate back in October who Never contacted me back . Right b4 the New Year got an update on 12/18/21 on WMR with 1 bar tax topic 152 after being stuck for several months with take action now t.t 151. Also trans updated to as of date 1/10/22 But then went back to 5/17/21 and when I called the IRS they said there was No movement on my account unfortunately so basically I dont know what to do I was lied to and jerked around this past entire tax season, So really not looking forward to 2022’s Fuck Season
    moderated

66. BrokeBrooke

Hey there, I haven’t filed my taxes yet this year but wanted to wish everyone a wonderful tax season and Happy New Year! I’ll be seeing ya’ll!!! (:

67. Ghee
      Turbo Tax
      Michigan
      Credit Karma
    • As of:
      Apr-5
    • Tax Refund Offset
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Deposit Date:

Happy New Year guys can’t wait to be here with everyone and hope we have a awesome tax season this year.