Join Live Discussion

When your tax return is still being processed and you’ve depended on your refund.

Do you have a utility shut off or eviction notice and your tax return is still being processed?

If your tax return is still being processed and you filed what seems to be a long time ago, you are not alone. It’s not always a vacation and shopping spree fund. A lot people depend on a tax refund to supplement their income for essential living costs. At this point in the year, we have seen many people get their tax refunds and be on their merry way. But with others still being delayed, not receiving your tax refund can quickly become a financial burden.

Don’t let people make you believe otherwise — it’s reasonable that people depend on their refunds.

In fact, the EITC was designed for people of lower incomes to provide financial assistance for working families with children due to the rising costs of living.  If you use your tax refund to offset the cost of housing and other essential living expenses, when it doesn’t arrive as expected, it’s easy to get behind.  We get it, and aren’t judging you.

Get help with a utility shut off or eviction notice.

If your tax refund is being delayed and it is causing a financial hardship we recommend reaching out to resources that can help with basic human needs including help to pay for rent and utilities.  You can start by dialing 211. The FCC reserved the 211 dialing code for community information and referral services. When you call 211 you should reach someone that can provide a critical connection between you and appropriate community based organizations and government agencies that provide assistance for rent and utilities.  Or google 211 with the name or your state or county and you will likely find the local website to direct you to resources available.

Get help from the Tax Payer Advocate Service.

We also recommend calling the Taxpayer Advocate Service if you haven’t already.  The TAS can help expedite the processing of your tax return if you have a hardship. The criteria for a hardship case is here.

Did you get a 4464C or CP05 notice?  Read more here.

Join the live discussion and get answers from other people in the same situation here.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Comment Notes

Comments are moderated according to our comment policy. If your comment is moderated, it may appear shortly, it might not. They are auto-moderated (nothing personal) or removed manually for other reasons. It is not personal or always something you implicitly said. If you are moderated, read How We Moderate Comments (HWMC) before getting upset. If you think comments are being moderated in error or have any questions email IGMR Admin. Comments about how or why comments have been moderated could be removed and considered off-topic.