When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. wrappedwithbands
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 571, 4464C Letter

I forgot to add. I checked my transcript when I saw that a letter was coming. That was 5 days ago. No codes. I checked again now. No codes. I hope it’s related to the hold from March. Maybe the letter just got mailed. When the 570 dropped I got my refund. Fingers crossed. I’m not in the mood for all of this. 😩

2. wrappedwithbands
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 571, 4464C Letter

I’m curious. Did anyone else get there refund on time this year, get a PPP/ED loan and now find themselves with a 4464C? I knew it was too good to be true. This was the first year in like 10 or 11 I didn’t have a freeze. Why do these mofos audit me every day year?! I told you it started with a non political tweet to [email protected] Hasn’t stop since. I realized that I was actually being harassed when they so called audited me and never sent any documents even with the TA. It wasn’t until I said I recorded everything … that my funds were released. I don’t wish nothing bad on anyone else, but I’m hoping I’m not the only one in this situation. If so I’m about to go HAM. I’m hoping it’s everyone. My taxes didn’t change in the last 5 years. May go up and down AGI 1 to 4K but that’s it.

@Angelica85: Once they are assigned, they go in and look at your return and see what needs to be done. This time of year and as behind as they are, its possible that they haven’t researched the return yet. I would give it until the first of next week and call the advocates office if you haven’t heard anything. The best time to call is as soon as they open.

4. Angelica85

When does a Tax Advocate normally call you once they are assigned? I was assigned one on 07/15. Since i have one i cant get any information from IRS. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Tia

5. I need my money

I filed and was accepted on 7/13 claimed my son and head of house hold should there any hold up most years seem ok I have a pin assigned to me I have to use and usually always file in sept but was a hold up this year for me

6. Tati

I turned in my amended return via fax, even called to try and get a TA and to no avail. Don’t want to call the irs again. They aren’t very helpful. I filed feb 9. I pray there will be a change sooner than later.

@RedDawn: I think its a good sign. Let’s hope that next update is a refund date. Fingers crossed.

8. RedDawn

Hello. I checked WMR. I got the bars back but it’s still on the first one. Can someone tell me if this is a good sign?

9. Angelica85

Well i called the IRS at 800-829-1040 and the rep. informed me that i have been assigned to a Tax Advocate as of 07/15/2020 so she was not able assist any further. I am thankful to have been assigned a tax advocate. I had faxed the 911 form back in May and again over a week ago. Just waiting for them to follow up with me. Hopefully ill see the light at end of the tunnel and be done with this tax season.

@StillWaitinginSC: Congratulations!!

@jackyinaz: Checks are normally posted on Fridays, so 3 to 5 days after the 24th. Congratulations!

12. Jeffkingoffools

I filed in February got a 60 day notice on march 12th got another 60 day may 12th got no response from irs. I sent a email to my congressman was contacted the next day. Sent in a release form. in 2 days he called and told me it’s held for wage verification and to send in w2 and last paystub from 2019 and I’m all set.

13. JACKYInAZ

i filed my amended return for 2018 and now my transcript says my refund issued 07/24/2020, when will i receive the check in the mail?? does anybody know??

14. Angelica85

@StillWaitingInSC: Congratulations I’m happy for you. I have a question, does your transcript show a TC 290? Mine hasn’t updated as of yet. Still sitting with the TC 571. Thank you in advance.

15. Anna Mae

@Mom2ohio: contact our congressman if you in oh he really helped me and got me a tax advocate… He’s great

16. Anna Mae

@I’m just Tiffany: reach out to your congressman and tell your situation. Mines really helped.. I’m here in Oh

17. I'm just Tiffany

Okay guys, at this point I don’t know what else to do. I filed my taxes back in Jan, received a letter that I was missing insurance information. Sent that in at the beginning of Feb, no movement at all on my account. Transcripts finally updated towards the end of June. Now I have the 806 and 766 codes, but no dd date. My as of date still shows 07/13. Is there anything else that I can do. With all that’s going on in the world, I really need my cash.

18. StillWaitingInSC

Finalllllyyyyy my 846 code is posted! I filed back in February. Had to file 2018 taxes. Sent those off early March and then nothing. Called the exam department and had the refund hold removed 6/10.

I have 2018 taxes due, but they weren’t deducted from my refund so I’m happy about that! The countdown until 7/22 begins!

19. jackyinaz

20. Mom2ohio

Well still stuck on May 11 and I have faxed 20 911 forms to advocates and tried calling their line. Not a damn word. Filed Jan in a test batch and no stimulus either. Just was informed my employer is closing permanently just as extra 600 unemployment is ending. I am so over 2020.

21. Fe!!!!

@Sam: okay I will give a try tomorrow since I am off work. I hope and pray they just hurry up and release our funds before they start with another stimulus check. I will keep you all updated. Thanks

22. Sam

@Fe!!!!: I was told the same thing. I’ve been told that since 3/12 and I filed 2/14. The people answering the phone at the IRS just keep saying the same thing that it’s going to be another 60 days due to Coronavirus. I finally got an advocate after almost 6 months and come to find out information somehow was missing between H&R Block and IRS regarding my wages. My advocate is working to fix it however if you keep calling the IRS number you are going to get the same canned response without them actually knowing what’s going on. Call the advocate line. You’ll be on hold for 3+ hours but it’s worth it for them to look into your issue.

@Lioness: The cycle code tells you when the amended cycled thru to be processed. The 846 is your direct deposit date of next Wednesday. Congratulations!!!

24. Lioness
      Arkansas
      Telcoe

20202903 is my cycle code for the amended part of my account transcript….what ddd would this be associated with?
    My 846 date 07/22/2020

25. Wvgirl8972

Can anyone tell me how to go about filing only my wv state taxes? I already filed my fed. And for it back but my tax service didnt file my state taxes.

@RedDawn: With it being manually processed, its possible, since I have seen people seeing deposits in their account, and the Wmr at times is not the most reliable. Your transcript is really the only thing that can tell you what’s going on.

27. Texasrosie817

@Sharon O: well I going threw something like that. I filed jan 31. Going threw an audit got advocate. Sent paperwork in. Got refund released may 6 . Then may 11 said on wmr tt203 . Called they said I’m dead or incarcerated. So they stop my refund. Filed for a ta agine finally they called last month. The irs new system due to covid stopping payment stating offset but it’s not an offset. They are currently fixing the problem. Its july 14 I’m still waiting. No stimulus either !!!

28. Fe!!!!

@keykey: no I don’t have a TA it seemed impossible to get one. And a lot ppl got one and still had to go through their state congressman. It’s F.UP we got to go through all this B.S for a couple G’s but yet millionaire’s getting paid asap from the government.

29. keykey

@Fe!!!!: this is ridiculous how some of us haven’t received tax refund or 1st stimulus…..but yet others who just filed are getting their refunds…Do you have a TA?

30. Fe!!!!

@keykey: same here I was told today when I called IRS exam department want start until August 1 and add 6 six to that SMH!!!

31. RedDawn

@sheila_33: so would my WMR even update if my refund is on hold for delinquent returns? Should I just expect a random deposit? They said my 2015 is still being processed. And to see my refund in the next few weeks..

32. keykey

@nika911: I’m in the same boat. I called IRS today was told to allow 16 weeks from Aug 1st smh. Yet i filed taxes in January, amended return received 3/9. Still waiting on refund & stimulus
    This is BS

33. same old same old IRS

Come on admin please stop the same scammer from hijacking your site!

34. Iwantmymoneyyesterday

@Ava: Karen Gardner get a life, any kids in that house need to be taken from there. Your a pathetic bum.

35. Sharon O

@Taxes got me in my feels: Great thanks. So that would be a state advocate then? They also said I would get a notice but never did

36. Taxes got me in my feels

@Sharon O: well I’ve been waiting since early March. Got tax advocate after 6 weeks of calling daily and submitting forms. Get an advocate ASAP. They can help

37. Sharon O

My New Jersey refund is being held due to them saying they are checking about a possible debt. It has been about 2 months since the website said this. I try to call and it says they are not accepting calls. I gave no debts that I’m aware of. Does anyone know how long this process takes?

38. Yellow

If a deposit was sent to me on a Friday at around 4:30 ,when will I get it ?I bank with chime .

@Aly888: Congratulations!!!

40. Aly888

FINALLY!!!! Filed in February, got a 60day hold in March, a SECOND 60 day hold in May, case opened with TA, contacted my state senators office for assistance. TA contacted me after a month, said maybe in a week and boom 9 days later DDD finally overnight. 5 MONTHS LATER, THANK GOD. and with $50 interest from the IRS. 🤣 thank god this years taxes are over.

@Jenn504: 846 would be the next code, after the amended is adjusted and cycles thru again.

42. nika911

@Amy19: they keep telling us paper returns wont get touched again until aug so ‘ glad people who sent in amended recently are getting some answers because i been waiting since jan and this is getting really old already . good luck also we all need some sort of update and not these stall tactics the irs is so fluent in smdh

43. nika911

@WMARtakesforever: they will send a letter of your adjustments. you sent in an amended . people send amended returns in because they discovered a discreptancy and want to correct any amounts that were incorrect so when they receive and do what they do they consider it ADJUSTING so they saying they will send a letter explaining your adjustments that mean they will explain and show in detail what they changed and or updated your return to and what the final numbers will be. hope this helps…

@SoOverTaxSeason: I think there possibly will be another batch that will go out around the beginning if August from what I’m understanding.

@Jenn504: Amended return received.

46. SoOverTaxSeason

Hi everyone. I was wondering does anyone know if the talks about getting a second stimulus check true. I’ve been hearing different things. And since it seems it will take another 2 months to get my tax refund, that would help out. Thank you for any info

47. Please help..

@Dana: I think you can send copies of the birth certificate of immunizations Social Security cards and Something that shows his address and the kids address is the same, medical forms, Child care information, school forms. I believe that’s the biggest thing is showing proof they live in the same house hold.

@Dana: unfortunately if he doesn’t have a custody agreement or is not biologically related, it may be hard to do. Some people are able to do that, and it slips thru. But, sometimes not. I don’t even know if sending in copies of bills paid would help, but I guess you could try.

49. Dana

I have a question because I’m confused about what to do. My friend claimed mine and my boyfriends daughter and then my boyfriends other daughter that isn’t mine on his taxes but they lived with us but he helped out by supporting them with things they needed during the year. So how does he go about getting a release that he had the right to claim them because he has to have proof he is related to them in some way and he has until the 15th to do so. I found a firm for release but it only talks about custodial and noncustodial parent

50. WMARtakesforever

The amendment was processed today 🎉🎉🎉..they said in 3 weeks they will send a later about my adjustments …what does this mean?

@Help!!!: 🙂

@Amy19: Good for you. Calling early is the best way I know to catch someone that might give you some information before they get snippy, lol. Hopefully, it will be finished before August. And I agree, 1500 dollars is a good incentive to amend. 🙂

53. Amy19
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Sheila_33- finally WMAR update, site said they have it but I needed to call between 7am & 7pm. I called at 7:01am this morning, I spoke with “Mrs. Barry”, she asked why I was calling, I told her what WMAR said. She said that is a standard announcement since it had been more than 16 weeks but she’d look to see if there was another issue at this point which there wasn’t. She then went on to say the amended department would not even look at it until atleast August first but could take as long as November 1st but to continue checking WMAR for updates. I am glad they atleast have the paperwork d have since March 6th. The reason we amended is that we ended up having enough medical to itemize instead of the standard deduction due to oral surgery, orthodontics and surgery etc. It makes a $1500 difference. Thanks for all you do here! It’s appreciated!

54. Jenk1121

Good morning ☀️

Last week my “as of” date changed to July 13, 2020 & this morning I checked and it changed to July 27, 2020… No deposits. WMAR still showing they haven’t received my Amended form.. Just a waiting game

@Help!!!: good morning! Sounds like a positive to me. I think sometimes they tell u things just so you won’t call back for awhile lol.

56. Help!!!

@Sheila_33: good morning ☀️ I hadn’t checked my IRS account since they told be they wouldn’t be working on it until August 1 because I had mail in my 8862 forms. But I just check right now and before today it said my 2019 was processed with no credits, now it say my 2019 hasn’t been processed🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe good news Maybe they told me August 1 so I wouldn’t call back

57. Help!!!

@boredindeed: I was told they weren’t working on returns that needed additional Mail in forms until August 1🤷🏻‍♀️

58. Daylight

Well still no y
    Updates for me my as of date is still 4/27 ….it just sad how they treat us.

@boredindeed: Anything that has to be manually addressed, goes on a “stack” to be worked in order of received. Since some departments were shut down or had limited work staff, things are moving slowly. You might consider an advocate who can get your return processed faster but otherwise its just a waiting game.

@Anna Mae: Good morning! Yes, anything that is adjusted is entered on the 1040x.

61. boredindeed

Question, Filed in early February, was sent a letter because I forgot marketplace form, faxed that in early march, still no movement… any ideas?

62. nika911

@Nique34: i sent an email to someone that i was given as a humbug just hope you get an answer right. so i got a response back and the emailed answerd my question she said the first week was one wk amount as it was and wait up to 48 the rest will be there. also i have an update for people as a be ware or deal… TO ALLL: i had a cashapp question and i thought i had the correct customer service number and the gentlemen on the phone asked me for my personal banking information and i kept asking him why and he stated they cant verify my cash app funds becuase they cant verify my bank so he needed a bank account so he could link it so i said no.. why would cash app ask for a seperate bank acct when they gave me a visa smh he said well go get a google play card and put 500 on one and 200 on the other then hell get my bannk linked to my cash app and then release my money to my cash app.. SCAM SCAM im sick of it everybody out here busin they butts to survive with the madness allready haoppening and we got lazy mufos wanting to take folk funds. smh the irs aleady scammin folks as it is and we got to deal with this …… just wanted to share this , this hapened to me yesterday so i almos got got if i wont thinking why would cash app ask me for another bank to verify. so EVERYBODY be careful and put your thinking capps on these hacker thugs are lazy and dont care bout jail time.

63. Anna Mae

Hello @Sheila so when I do an amended return on the 1040x form.. do I put the correct amount that I suppose to receive on that form.. and send my original

64. keykey

@Janay13: wow I filed amended return back in March too…did you get direct deposit or check?

65. Just FED UP!!!

@Janay13: congrats…Wishing this good news for the rest of us..Don’t even make sense i check my bank account because they would’ve alerted me already

@Janay13: Congratulations to you!!1 Thank you for sharing, you give others some hope.

67. Janay13

Good morning, I hope this is an encouragement to some of you. I filed back in January and received a letter of a hold in February. I found out through tax advocate that I needed to amend. I sent amended return first week of March. Then nothing. I couldn’t access transcripts , never got a stimulus check , never anything. The tax advocate was not helpful anytime I called after that. Where’s my amended refund still states that they haven’t received it. Well I got my refund this morning. Not sure what happened other than a lot of prayer. For those of you waiting, I hope it comes soon for you. Now I’m just waiting on my stimulus check :)

@Angelica85: Just give it some time. I honrstly don’t think they’re done adjusting everything.

69. Angelica85

@Sheila_33: Thank you for responding. Yeah i was hoping it wasn’t but it looks like its going that direction. Do you know why the 2017 wouldn’t be showing the credits i qualified for. The account TC shows only the amount i originally owed

@Angelica85: most likely because of the other returns not being completed is why the 846 hasn’t been placed. Until they are, the 2019 return will be in a hold. Hopefully, you’ll see some movement on transcripts the end of this week.

71. Angelica85

Still no changes on Transcript. Still showing 571-05/10/2020 as of date is on 07/06/2020. Sent 911 for to both TA offices in UT. Have not heard back.

My tax situation is that i had to file 2016 and 2017 which i owed a small amount. 2017 doesn’t seem completed as its not including credits to lessen my amount owed. 2017 as of date has been stuck on 06/29. For 2016, account transcript not filled in as of date 04/13. This is such a mess. I thought that when the 571 (manual) was placed it would process the 846 not sure why not.

72. RedDawn

@Sheila_33: thank you for clearing that up 🙏🏼 You’re the best! I hope it gets cleared up quick. It’s been 4 weeks

73. @jamesdavison

Anyone apply for the business loan ? How long did it take to get approved ?

@gottahavemytaxmoney!: I would advise calling the advocates office and asking for a advocate supervisor and asking for assistance, because they can definitely help you get some help. You would definitely qualify for a hardship case and those can be expedited.

@RedDawn: They are the department that resolves and adjusts your return. Possibly may have something to do with your 2015 return and trying to get things entered and adjusted.

@Jpow: The 766, 768 credit codes, along with the 806 are 4/15 because that is normally the last day to file to avoid penalties, and any interest owed you is figured from that date if you filed before that date and haven’t received your refund. The 420 exam code date is when the audit began and the 570 date is when the hold was placed on the return. Have you called TT to see what’s going on? If there is no refund code on the transcript, then your refund hasn’t been released.

77. gottahavemytaxmoney!

So I guess after I had to amend my return now I am being audited and a tax advocate said there is nothing they could do and that its probably going to take months… we are about to be on the streets.. I have 4 kids haven’t gotten a stimulus nor a tax refund… fml

78. RedDawn

Can someone tell me what the accounts department does? They’re the ones holding my refund

79. RedDawn

Can someone tell me what the accounts department does?theyre the ones holding my refund

80. Jpow

Hello everyone! I’m having trouble understanding my transcript. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First, my cycle code says 20200705. I get it but I def don’t have my refund. Next, what really has me frazzled is the dates after the codes. For instance, I have a code 570 for 3/02 then a 420 for 3/27. Followed by a 766 768 and 806 for 4/15. Does the order even matter? And lastly, I filed with TT. I got the plus benefits. They were to be paid from my refund deposit …..well according to TT it was paid from my refund….but I don’t have the refund. So confused. Please help?

81. Nika911

I got unemployment questions. Some may have an ans for me. I was back called in from march 15th right. just now got my first deposit from.u employment but it’s only one week could someone help me understand. I personally know people who got over o stacks back because they called in they back weeks from beginning of this pandemic. Am I missing somethng or is somethig wrong or is it still going to load

82. Nika911

@Libi1245: asctly how I got thru that day. They transfer u to irs accounts and somehow there transfers are getting thru with a minor wait after the transfer.

83. Nika911

@InGaWitKrazyAssKemp: oh my. That’s what the rep in utah told me where my return is at on someone desk somewhere. Rediculous

84. Libi1245

According to the rep i just spoke with, Mailed return backlogs are looking to be caught up by August 1st. If you mailed back in march they are saying to give 6 weeks after august 1st, but it is highly likely to get an update by the end of july. This month a lot of people who have been waiting a long time will most likely get an update on WMR. Have a good day to you all, im gonna go cook breakfast and try not to think about my taxes for a couple of hours. Jeez