When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. Lioness
      Arkansas
      Telcoe

I guess the IRS aren’t doing taxes at all. I amended my return 3/13/2020 according to the where’s my amended return…..I haven’t seen any movement what so ever. It says it takes up to 16 weeks tomorrow makes 16 weeks. ARE YOU GUYS WAITING TOO?

2. Gabby

Hey everyone. I was approved for a sba loan for my business but I entered my business name wrong on the application so my bank sent it back to sba. Does anyone here know what I should do?

3. InGaWitKrazyAssKemp

@sunrocks: I had the same Issue Come to find out I had went to emergency room and sign up for insurance not knowing but that was the issue for me I was told the same thing I suppose to get a letter in the mail , check the healthcare.gov website and check your email for healthcare mail if that’s the case you got to do an form 8962

@sunrocks: I would think about getting a tax advocate since things aren’t moving. That letter could be a request for more information from you and if it hasn’t been delivered to you, then that may be the hold up.

@Denise1927: Hopefully you’ll see a change tomorrow on transcripts.

6. sunrocks

I filed my federa and state tax returns in March using TaxAct. I received state refunds in a week after. Also, I received my stimulus package when it was paid. My federal tax refund hangged on “Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available” since March. This is very crazy. I have being calling but nobody to answer as the telephone automated machine could not lead me to a live agent. I was only lucky on time to speak to an agent. She told me that everything looked good but maybe there was a letter sent to me that was not delivered. She said I should give it few more weeks and if nothing come through mail, I should call back. Since that May 11, I have been trying that same number but not successful.

7. Denise1927

I was told my refund was released about 2 weeks ago and I still have as off date June 29 on my transcript should I update soon my old cycle code was 05 the new one 05 sorry if this is duplicated my phone acting up

8. Denise1927

If my refund was released and I have a 290 code and show a as of date of June 29 should I update soon🤔

@MommaD3: Others have had an issue with the Wmr not recognizing info. Have you tried calling the Wmr phone line to see if is recognizing your information?

@SoOverTaxSeason: It may update without any help from an advocate, but it also may be sitting waiting in line to be reviewed and manually updated. Social security updates their systems Friday night/Saturday morning for wages so depending on fast they update yours is hard to say if she mailed them in. My advice is to go ahead and use an advocate, since they can get your return looked at quicker and resolved.

@NLawson_Mrs: I’ve been hearing the Wmar hasn’t been reliable for some, and make sure you check the Wmr especially if the amended is processing as the original return. Fingers crossed you see a transcript update tomorrow morning.

12. MommaD3

Quick question, I filed my taxes april 16, injured spouse. Been checking the wmr app and now today it says my info may not be correct to re enter. I double checked 3 times and the social, filing status, and amount were right??

13. SoOverTaxSeason

Hello. I have been coming on here on and off. I explained that my employer never sent my wages. I contacted a tax advocate and I’m waiting for a call back. My employer said she finally sent my wages to the irs/ssa. With that being said, is there a possibility i can receive my return without going the tax advocate if my employer actually sent my info out???

14. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: And for whatever reason, my amend still isn’t in the system on WMAR 🤷🏾‍♀️

15. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: I wasn’t verbally told that, I took a look at my 1040 and it has been corrected with the info from my 1040X. My transcript has the 977 and AS OF July 6 but it still has the same info from before I amended

16. SujRalls

Did anyone who electronically filed a tax return ( simple based on W2- no dependents/ no health) on or after Jun 5 2020 get the refund ?

@NLawson_Mrs: if you were told the original was corrected, it most likely means that the amended adjusted whatever the issue was and it just needs to update on the transcript.

18. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: What does it mean when they correct the original return? Mine has been revised but it hasn’t been changed on my transcript

@Jenk1121: I applied for one about 4 weeks ago. It took about a week and it was deposited in my business account.

@Denise1927: Any day for daily processors, but mostly Tuesday night/Wednesday mornings. Weeklies update on transcripts Thursday night/Friday mornings.

@Nikki_1220: Good morning. If she told you not to worry and had you fax in the amended, then I wouldn’t worry. Sounds like she’s working on it, and fingers crossed you may see something soon. I know its easy to second guess the situation but I definitely think its a positive step in the right direction.

22. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: good morning it said that on my where’s my amended not wmr

23. Eb_PrettyMocha

@NLawson_Mrs: I filed my amended on March 13 and mod it. They received it on March 15 and my transcripts show is it on March 17

@Nikki_1220: The “take action” message on the Wmr may have showed up just because of the length of time processing or could be because of whatever the amended return is correcting. I wouldn’t worry, it sounds like they’re working on it.

25. Jenk1121

Good morning,

Has anyone applied for the sba covid Grant? Asking for my sister in law. She applied last week and it says on the website you should get it in 3 days but she never got it. Anyone know anything about this?

26. Help!!!

What does it mean when you have return transfer 2019* and N/A Record of Account Transcript?

27. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Eb_PrettyMocha: When did u file ur amend? I think mine is gonna do the same thing, my original return has been revised but it was done before I filed my amend.

28. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: I just looked at my tax return that I filed Jan 27 thru TurboTax, and it was revised on Mar 2 by TTO (whatever that is)… It’s showing everything correctly from my amended return and it still has my bank info. My transcript has AS OF July 6 with code 977 but it isn’t corrected like my actual return. What does this mean? I’m confused lol

29. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Gabby: mine processed as the original return so it is being deposited

30. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: hello quick question I have take action on my wmar so I called and spoke with the lady who told me to fax amended return she told me she promised to get to it today and allow 2 weeks for processing but she said when I mailed my return the person working on it put that in place and she told me not to worry about it she’s going to do it so should I be worried

@Eb_PrettyMocha;If it processed as the original return, then it can be deposited as the original. Congratulations!

32. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Eb_PrettyMocha: quick question did you check today to see that or was there yesterday I’m curious

33. Eb_PrettyMocha

My transcripts updated to 6/24 846 code. Filed amended return. On where’s me amended return not showing nothing but on where’s my refund I now have 2 bars which I never even had 1. Say it will be deposited to my bank by 6/24. I though if it was amended would be a check in mail. Not complaining just wondering.

34. Nika911

@$Harmony404: ohhhh my stars I’m sayin the exact same thannng. We pray together hun

35. Jameen
      BANK OF AMERICA
    • W2
    • Weekly, Daily

IRS site is slow, i see , they must be updating it

36. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Janet: that’s who I spoke to as well I faxed my amended return she said she would get to it Thursday but I called yesterday and she still didn’t finish it hopefully by the end of this week I’ll see a change

37. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Janet: its still being direct deposited? she told me it would be paper check

38. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Janet: thats awesome!

39. keykey

@Sabrina Friel: wow that is terrible….looks like we both will be waiting smh. I need my refund & stimulus check both total nearly $11,000 but im still in limbo…good luck

40. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Gabby: mrs Wilson done mine in exams 2 weeks ago. Had a ddd for june 24 this passed weekend.

41. Gabby
      wisconsin

hey everyone, i finally spoke with a nice lady in exams department, who i sent my amended to via fax. she said she updated it in the system and it would take 6-8 weeks. hoping it moves faster than that! but at least its not just sitting anymore!

42. $Harmony404

@Kaiosama: you could always call to get a update .. they just opened and their processing paper returns now..

43. Kaiosama

Hi just found this site and wanted to see if I could find some advice or maybe anyone in a similar situation . I sent my paper return and it’s showing the received it on where’s my refund only issue is I sent in this years and last years returns at the same time Because I have been having a hard time getting my ip pin . I’m not very tax savvy but a friend of mine told me to send in my paper returns in March without my pin and they would still process it . My question is should I do anything now or is there a number I should call I tried getting my transcript but for some reason my cell phone (sprint) won’t work to verify and there not sending paper pins to log in . Anything to possibly get my refund and stimulus faster would be great for me and my family especially how the world is currently. Where’s my refund has said they received my taxes since I believe the 2nd or 3rd of this month

44. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Nika911: Exactly! I just noticed that my original return has been adjusted to show my correct amounts like my W2… But my transcript hasn’t updated. Wat does that mean?? 🤔

45. JustAshe
      NetSpend
      Jun-30
      Jul-7
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2, Premium Tax Credit 8962
    • Weekly

2 hours later…… They verified me and told me my return had been pushed through. Now they say another 6 – 8 weeks? But to watch Where’s My Refund for updates as well. Maybe it will be here before Christmas! LOL

46. Busymom4
      Ohio
    • TT 152, TC 570, Weekly

I don’t know that this is the right place to ask but I figured I would try. I had a nightmare with my taxes and had to amend my return. I finally got it end of April but now have yet to receive my stimulus. Waited on hold for someone for 1 hour 45 mins with the irs to be told it looks like it has to do with my amended return and put me on hold briefly to “look further into it” and was disconnected. Has anyone else been through this?? I just don’t understand what it has to do with anything if I’ve gone online and submitted all the info as well as my amended return was processed.

47. Nika911

@NLawson_Mrs: you. Gotcha . Sound like me. Trying to b 2 steps ahead of them from where they initially stopped at . Wherever they were when they shut down. It’s like we starting over and I pray we get some massive releases. Already right lol

48. Nika911

@JustAshe: oh yea and An employer name listed on one of ur w2. Then the wages and withholding from that w2 u chose sorry left that out.

49. Nika911

@JustAshe: wages and withholding for either 2018 or 2017
    Parents maiden names
    Maybe a dependent name and ssn if u have them or they ask
    Maybe ur agi for your previously filed return

50. JustAshe
      NetSpend
      Jun-30
      Jul-7
    • Weekly

So apparently, my refund was pulled for review back in March. I was told to wait 60 days, then COVID happened. I’ve been trying to find out something since May 3 (60 day window). I finally got a helpful person today who told me I’m stuck in Identify Verify, but due to COVID, they were unable to send me the letter. So, now I am on a hold for up to 60 minutes. YEA! Any idea what information I will need to know to verify I am myself?

@NLawson_Mrs: Its possible,as far behind as they are but is there a date beside it? Sometimes 971 is a miscellaneous transaction, like an adjustment or action taken.

52. JustAshe
      NetSpend
      Jun-30
      Jul-7
    • Weekly

I am on hold. Here’s hoping for some news.

53. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Nika911: I got the letter back in February, which is why I knew to amend. I was just making sure I was on the right track after so long

54. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: Could the 971 be the 4464c letter that I received in February?

@Harmony404: That is great news! Let’s hope they get it updated and it cycles thru this week.

56. $Harmony404

@Sheila_33: My TA just called me back and said whatever she told them to do they did it today(I’m guessing release my refund) and she said the computer takes about 2 weeks for everything to update so she’ll check Friday and if it updated she’ll call me if not she’ll call me back on the 7th since there off on the 3rd. So I’m praying I had a ddd this week😫

@NLawson_Mrs: The code 977 means the amended has posted, the 971 can be a notice sent but has a few other definitions. Hopefully, next update it will update to the 846 since your “as of” date has pushed out 3 cycles to allow it time to finish processing.

58. Nika911

@NLawson_Mrs: the only code you wana see is 846 that’s refund code and should have a date beside it. U see a 971 that means a letter was sent to u that’s what ur waiting for whatever letter they sent to u. They act like they never know what is say but yea. U will see that 846 code once whatever they need off that letter has been completed on there end. Unless someone drastically changed this year seeing that 971 just means more delay cus that code mean a letter was sent to your address.

59. Nika911

@NLawson_Mrs: that 971 code mean a letter was sent to u. It should have a date by it not an amount.

@NLawson_Mrs: I’m honestly not sure if the 971 and 977 will show amounts. Maybe someone with a completed amended can answer.

61. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

So the irs put in a request for new tax advocate to get our money back that was applied to irs tax debt. Does anyone have any clue how long this can take?

@Ed Default Offset: They may not take it as some have gotten that message and still have gotten their refunds. If they do take it, you can appeal it.

63. Ed Default Offset

So, I filed recently and then checked WMR and got the offset message … only thing I have is an education loan that’s defaulted, but got a letter a couple of months ago that because of Cares I wouldn’t have to make any payments until Sept.

Anyone else have this happen? I thought they weren’t supposed to offset our refund this year due to COVID

64. Sabrina Friel

@keykey: The IRS received my amended return on February 18 according to the one update on my 2018 transcripts.This week is going to be 18 weeks and I did call last week and was able to get someone on the phone. She noticed that my 2018 return was uploaded to the system but not processed and my 2017 amended was showing received only, it had not even been uploaded to the system yet. While the lady had me on hold while she was submitting what she called her referral to get them moving, the dang phones hung up on me.

65. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

@Sheila_33: Hi there! My transcript has finally updated to 971 and 977 with AS OF DATE July 6th. But there is no amount next to either of the two codes… Is that normal???

66. NLawson_Mrs
      Texas
      Netspend (personal acct)
      Jul-4
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846

OMfG I FINALLY got codes 971 and 977 on my transcript!!! Both have 3/17 with em but no amount. And my AS OF DATE is now July 6th…. Does anyone know what comes next or when I may see my 846???

67. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Sheila_33: thank you. I am just happy this tax season is finally over for us.

68. TayTay

Hey everybody I been following this page awhile was in the same boat file thru TurboTax on February 20 got healthcare letter in mail from IRS on March 11 Fax documents on March 16. Called the IRS after they open back up For the Austin Texas location I’m in Mississippi call them about two week ago she told me she was putting In a referral and to give it 3 to 4 Week and I should have my refund she said I had said processing before the pandemic and everything shut down well I updated yesterday morning with a refund for 6/24/2020 with a extra $80 There is hope stay positive and call and ask for a referral

@Janet: You definitely can appeal it and the advocate can file a hardship appeal. I would see what happens first with the deposit, since people have been getting the tax topics on their Wmr but the deposit was for the full amount of the refund. Good luck, fingers crossed they didn’t take it

70. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@$Harmony404: yay!!!!

71. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Eb_PrettyMocha: so happy for you finally

72. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

I have a question. @ Shelia since my amended return processes as the original, it says it will be deposited by June 24. I have an advocate but it has topic 201. I owed the irs. Can the tax advocate reverse that and get me the rest of it. This is one year we are really financially strapped and we need our entire refund.

73. Sam

@Db: I filed on 2/14, verified My identity on 3/12. They told me I needed to wait 9 weeks. It was 10 weeks before anyone was back at the IRS to take my phone call. They said everyone was put on hold for another 9 weeks. Mid July is when the 2nd 9 weeks will be up. I have had absolutely no updates on WMR for almost 6 months and my transcript still shows the 570 code 🙄🙄 It’s been ridiculous.

74. Janet
      GA
      Jun-24
      Jun-20
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Ok so my refund is scheduled to be sent June 24. The irs did take what I owe is it too late to get a tax advocate to get it back

75. Eb_PrettyMocha

@Nikki_1220: I checked on yesterday and saw it. When I tried to look again and check where’s my amended return I am getting the same message as well. Also for get my payment for stimulus that I have still not gotten.

76. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: definitely was a glitch because it’s the same ugh I hope I see something soon because I can’t see my trans so just hoping for soon

77. keykey

@texasmomof3: Hi, I sent an amended return in February…received on 3/9/2020 is it normal that im still processing

@Nikki_1220: No, it wouldn’t matter about the interest, the Wmr will recognize the amount on the return filed. Technical difficulties reflects an update on the transcript or maintenance, and sometimes just a glitch. Just trying checking later and see if its updated and you can get in.

@Amy19: Its possible it may be sitting. They are processing the amendeds in order of received, so hopefully they will be working yours soon.

80. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: hey when I checked the wmr it’s telling it doesn’t match and I put in the amended amount and it say it doesn’t match wmar says technical difficulties I’m not sure what’s going on do you think it’s because I may have interest added on because my amended was received on 3/2/20 I’m confused

81. Nikki_1220
      Chime
    • Weekly

@Eb_PrettyMocha: congrats but when did you check because yesterday nothing for me still one bar on wmar but I tried to check today but it’s saying technical difficulties ugh

82. Eb_PrettyMocha

Finally after having 571 on my transcripts for 3 months I finally got the 846 code date 6/24 for my amendment return. Filed in January amended return received on 3/17. Hopefully I see a check this week. Also got interest on it date 7/6!

83. Amy19
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Sheila_33: My WMAR still isn’t showing anything. It was sent in the 1st week of March. I am assuming it is still just sitting on a desk in no man’s land. Any ideas?