Where’s My Refund? For all the people impatiently waiting.

A grapevine for taxpayers,
by taxpayers.
Ask all your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

Join the Conversation

Search Comments

Select Year: 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015

What Others Are Saying

1. lalaland
      Arkansas
      Credit Union
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

I just filed, but paid my fees in advance. No money for SBBT from me this year! My pathetic way of sticking it to the man. What a year this has already turned out to be!

2. texasmomof3

@@nika911: OMG! My kids received 2 Netspend cards in the mail that they didn’t order. scammers are at a all time high. Hackers have gotten my identity from several different companies I do business with, target, Home Depot, my electric company, capital one. I gotten notices from all of them hackers accessed my info, I gotten credit karma alerts my info is on the dark web, scary and ridiculous, as these are trusted companies.

Yes, y’all be Leary, I bank with Bank of America now and it was scary to see what happen to the folks that use their services for unemployment. Sad

3. Justme

Makes sense! Ive been noticing my postal carrier has been getting mail mixed up the last few months seriously, I’ve even called the postal service about it! Ive gotten other peoples mail more often and accidentally opened a piece.. They have brought a package to me (Which was mine) and handed me the mail and before they even left i said um this isn’t mine, he kind of grunted but took it back. My postal person never made so many mistakes before.. really makes you wonder! Ive had in the past 2 weeks, informed delivery saying more mail pieces than what I’ve got, Thats why I called!!

4. Sue

@Tiredofhearingit: That is exactly what the IRS told me today!!! She said they were actually still mailing them out and will be done by the 25th. She also said that if I didn’t get it by the first then file a form 8888 Very frustrating

5. Irritated

IMPORTANT!!!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!! Here in WI a post office has a bin full of stimulus checks that was misplaced be postal carriers. My sister had mail date 1/6 and informed delivery said she was getting it on 1/11. It never showed up in her mailbox. After speaking to her regular post man he told about postal carriers misplacing checks and stimulus checks that went to wrong address were sitting at a post office waiting to be sent back to IRS. Post office gave her stimulus check today!!!!!!! Go check the post office

6. @nika911

be carefull ALLLLLL.. my google just alerted my its trying to get accessed by someon in russia. im in va smfh wish this all goes away but i Know better/ yawll make sure yawls passwords are secured. don twish thsi crap on nobody especially unemployment fraud , yea got me twice and they still trying smh i know off topic but its an important topc and think it wont happen to u i did too. be safe

7. Tiredofhearingit

Thank you so very much! Prayers to you and your family also. I have 2 children and I know its hard on a lot of people, everyone has their own situations. I hope the best for you and everyone else. My husband does have a job still which we are very grateful but this is the first time ever we fell a few house pmts behind and property taxes are now due. I really hope the best for everyone through all of this. I just cannot believe irs having all of these issues during such a time in need for many when the first round went for the most part, smooth.

8. @nika911

got a letter yesterday talkin about a interest form for when i filed last year lol 40.00 i dont even rememebr if my return was an extra 40,.00 they a little behind arent they were my stimulus tho. lol

9. texasmomof3

@AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam:

You’re not alone, I how to laugh to keep from crying, my daughter had me laughing last night after I was frustrated and pre occupied from
    being on hold for almost 5 hours to speak to an agent at the treasury.

I put off cooking dinner for my little girl for so long dealing with that call, my tired and pregnant daughter that worked all day, cooked dinner for us and made me laugh in the process with her jokes of how ridiculous I look waiting on a five call to talk to a rep.

I send prayers for you, me and all of us for an immediate break through. I know there is light at the end of what seems like a long and never ending dark tunnel. God Bless.

10. Tiredofhearingit

Yea and when you live at the same address for 20+ years bank info the same the “hiccups” shouldn’t be happening!!!

11. AlreadyFiledbcThatsHowBrokeIam

Nothing for me today guys. I called the IRS. No luck. No new info. I had a closed bank account and the IRS site states it was deposited to that account on 1/4. Nothing arriving on Informed Delivery. I give up. A little backed in bills due to Covid job loss but I’ve been managing for nearly a year & I’m communicating with my creditors. Just gonna keep hope alive until something arrives. This site is very helpful in managing the stress that comes when dealing with these situations so I appreciate the engagement (even though there are so many different theories & opinions on how things work with the IRS) which is understandable bc every taxpayers situation is unique but the govt should be way more transparent than this. I have visited this forum for a few years and EVERY year there has been an issue within the tax process. I understand hiccups in issuing refund of millions of taxpayers due to verification or whatever but IMO there shouldn’t be an issue with receiving Economic Relief, whether a taxpayer has a closed bank account, Tax Prep errors, changed address, unique situations, or whatever the case may be. Economic Relief is supposed to be quick resolve and relief.
    Sigh…
    *Vent session complete.

12. spicecd
      California
      Bank
    • Daily

@Mel: I filed and am waiting for an acceptance. If it’s anything like the previous years, they may test batch a couple of/few weeks prior to the official IRS start date of 2/12/21.

13. Tiredofhearingit

The thing is, first the irs says hey you’ll get a second stimulus, we have to have them out by Jan 15, oops now we have all these issues so give it an extra 3-4-5 weeks to guess and see if you get it and than pushes the date out for filing taxes but yet they claim they know the people really really need this and to boost the economy! Now this just makes for sure everyone has to wait to file taxes and not to mention we are all being cut back to only having 2 months to get this done or have to pay the fee for an extension! No one can be that gullible to believe the irs had issues updating their systems! Really?? ITS THE IRS!!!! Took the only hours to find people that were involved with the white house fiasco … sorry dont believe the whole “glitch” thing!

14. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@MelissainFlorida: the account does?

15. honeycutt

@Just wanna kno: Hey i checked the mail it’s just a 1099-INT form to file with my taxes. I had an issue with that last year and didn’t receive it until July and i guess they are giving me back 50.00 of accumulated interest. i was hoping it was something regarding stimulus. Hopefully we’ll receive something soon

16. MelissainFlorida
      Vystar Credit Union
    • Weekly

What transcript is reflecting the stimulus payments? My 2020 has all zeros. But I received both stimulus payments? Shouldn’t it reflect on there?

17. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird

FYI People who are still waited on mailed date of 6th check

18. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: 5 weeks from the 8th is February 12th to get the check. We shall see, emergency relief, that’s a joke.

19. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird

@Sheila_33: maybe not for another week or so.

@Mbry0625: Nope.

21. Jen Carter

@John

My check says it was mailed on 1/6/21 but i still have not gotten it. I don’t understand why I got a direct deposit on my first one and this one was mailed as my 2019 taxes were direct deposited. Ugh its frustrating because i have Covid a while back and got behind on bills and still haven’t been able to pay my rent for December and part of January. Running out of patience.

22. Jess4405

@texasmomof3: agreed! its a complete mess!! i just want my check or my transcripts to update showing i didnt get the money lol!

23. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird

@Sheila_33: any movement today?

24. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: We shall see, it’s all so flawed in how they did this, arguing about the payments for 9 months, releasing them at the last minute and have the nerve not to give us any kind of timeframe to update our information. Tragic…

25. Jess4405

@texasmomof3: Same thing I was told, up to 5 weeks but that it should not take that long. the treasury said it takes 7 to 10 days to get back to the irs from the treasury once the bank sends it back. So mine was dd on 4th and returned the 11th..the lady told me count the 5 weeks from the day of deposit to closed account. So praying we have something soon!! I wonder if our transcripts will reflect the new payment once it is made?

26. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: Ok, So I spoke to the IRS rep, I was able to get through quickly thanks to the number and ext listed at the bottom of this forum.

The IRS rep said they have not received my return payment yet, she said they are issuing checks out for payments returned from closed accounts, she said the system does this automatically and the payment is sent out after the system have confirmed your address.

She said the process take up to 5 weeks, but a check will be issued for sure. She said it may not take the whole 5 weeks, but that is the timeframe generally. For me it been 13 days since it was sent back to IRS. Waiting and praying for us all. She was nice and Looked me up right away.

27. Just wanna kno

@honeycutt: where did you see that information at? My mail runs super late so I won’t get to see till after 6. I don’t know if you already got yours delivered, could you confirm when you do?

28. Jess4405

@texasmomof3: i told the lady at the irs on the eip line that the treasury directed me to contact the irs directly and to be transfered to someone who can look my info up. because my payment isnt showing as sent back out to me. Lmk!! good luck!!

29. texasmomof3

@Jess4405:

I spoke to the treasury rep, she said my bank returned my payment to them on 1/4 and it was sent back to the IRS on 1/8, she said so far she don’t see that the IRS reissued another payment to me.

She said I would need to talk to them directly about that and they are as confused as we are about how they will handle payment that went to closed bank accounts, she said the IRS is constantly circulating different information and they are not sure what response to give. She said I may just how to file it on my taxes from what she can tell so far, she said only the IRS knows for sure.

Right now I’m on hold to talk to the IRS.

30. Jess4405

I called the treasury back to ask why the IRS is not showing the returned payment and she was so rude! She said that it takes 7 to 10 days for the treasury to then send the payment back to the IRS and then they mail a check, and then she got really rude and said but ma’am the irs is not reissuing checks to people who were not part of the tax products fiasco. I said well thats funny because everyone at the irs that i have spoken with as well as the treasury have said otherwise, and she read the statement from the IRS website, i said okay and i have read that as well and not one rep has told me that it ONLY pertains to the tax products people that had their accounts messed up. And so she said well i dont know. i said well me either. and hung up. GOODNESS!

@Sixx: Yes, it could help a lot of people.

@Turbo: 800-919-9835.

33. texasmomof3

Side note, just to make y’all laugh!

My daughter was badgering me last night . She kept saying momma hang up that phone, no one is coming to answer that phone.

Just give it up momma! lol… I firmly said, No,

My igmr family and I are on a mission, we don’t give in to the man! lol…She died laughing at me, she laughed at me all night listening to that phone ring!

34. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: wow, you are on top of
    It for sure, I woke up at 7:45 am, got my little on line for school at 8:10am, called the treasury and has now been on hold for an hour and half, yesterday 4 hours, I guess I didn’t wake up early enough, lol…

I’m trying y’all. I’m determined to clean and let this phone ring.

35. KDinAZ

@Jess4405: that would mean friday is two weeks for me. I will let you know when or if my transcripts change

36. Sixx
      NY
      AFCU
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: I hope that does go
    Through because I can use the extra 3k in tax credits lol

37. Turbo

Who would you call to report someone fraudulently receiving someone else’s stimulus that is incarcerated?

38. Jess4405

Well..the treasury shows the 11th the bank sent it back however the rep said the IRS updates their records every two weeks therefore it is not showing they have it back from the bank yet. She said allow up to 5 weeks for the whole process and if i have not gotten my check yet then to call them back which would be between 2/8-2/12..she said it should show and update way before then however at this time it is not showing as the bank has sent it back on the IRS end, but it is at the treasury. So hopefully it will update this week yet and show the funds and returned from the bank in the IRS records. She seemed to really know what she was talking about so i hope! Heres to waiting even longer lol!

39. Jess4405

i FINALLY got the eip hotline rep to transfer me to someone who can look into my info!! I told her my payment was sent on the 4th to a closed checking account, not part of turbo tax or any of those, and returned from the bank on the 11th, the treasury does not see where a new payment has been issued as a check or debit card and for me to contact the irs directly and she was giving me the same speech about how they arent reissuing checks and then said they are and i will get a card or check and i stopped her there and said look i need my account infomation pulled up this is ridiculous because yesterday i was told i will for sure be getting a mailed check and allow 3 weeks now you have no idea what to tell me so can you please get someone who can. she def transferred me and this rep is so nice she is looking into it now and is trying to get as much info as she can she said …ill post when she gets me off hold..told me 5 to 7 mins while she looks into my info.

40. honeycutt

@Just wanna kno: i looked it up online the letter might state that we will be getting a refund as a check.

41. honeycutt

@Just wanna kno: I see have the same thing when i checked my informed delivery.. i’m curious to know as well i don’t believe it’s a check or debit information either.

42. IGMR Admin

Grapevine Announcement 🍇

Reminder:

Pick a user name and stick to it. To change your name is to make our jobs harder. We can see from behind that you pick a new name every few days. Please stop.

43. Jess4405

@Kimastimmy: yes i got the same thing yesterday and i told her my situation and she said that i would get a check mailed out to me and allow 3 weeks, welllll the treasury doesnt show anything since the bank returned the money so i have no idea. I kept asking her over and over is she sure they are sending checks once the bank returns the funds and she said yes so i have no idea. my transcripts still show the as of 1/18 date and refund issued 1/4.

44. Kimastimmy

@Jess4405: I called IRS for her and they give a whole speech about dont give no personal info & they only give generic info. Such a waste :(

@Jen03333: It’s possible that they may be waiting to see if the eic (for filers w/o children) and atc are going to be raised to help tax payers out and that’s why they’ve pushed the date out so far.

46. Jess4405

@Kimastimmy: Mine was returned on the 11th as well and they dont show another payment sent out in a check as of today. I called yesterday as well and nothing. I am not sure when they will see if a payment was sent to us, however she told me call the IRS about getting the payment reissued to me, little does she know you cannot talk to anyone and get an answer at the IRS lol!

47. TaxPreparer in FL

Good morning and Happy 2021 everyone!
    It appears that the IRS is looking to crap the bed again with the rollout this tax season and we Enrolled Agents, Paid Tax Preparers and CPAs are going off on CE (Continuing Education) portals hosted by the IRS as the Elongated Day hasnt been specified as of yet and as they are still working with the new and Legacy MeF system, this will create a massive bottleneck in return processing, thus creating Resequencing issues. I hope to come and post here often as I do every year on what new info I can get from official channels through my job. My official name is EricksMomInFL on here…

48. Just wanna kno

I got a letter in informed delivery but it says dept of treasury IRS. I have to wait till mail runs to find out what it is. However it doesn’t seem like a check or debit card and since my irs tool says payment not available and my transcript says deposit of 1/18 I have no idea what it could be. Has anyone else received just a letter from the IRS?

49. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Jen03333: It is usually a Monday I believe.

50. giraff3babylover
      NC
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@TeeTee: Nothing has shown up on informed delivery for today but I haven’t received my check, yet. 1/6 mail date NC

51. Jen03333
      Turbo Tax Debit Card

Why are they going to start processing returns on a Friday? Isn’t normally earlier in the week? They’re already make us wait several extra weeks.

52. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

Hey IRS and greedy banks, get people their damn money. Saying by 2/1 is BS. People are hurting now!!!

53. Fox

Am I the only person who has not received there stimulus check? Mailed 1/6. I live in Arlington Texas…. plz update if anyone has information.

54. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: Of course I will, side note at some point I know someone answered and transferred me back into the que! I kept my cool, lol, had too, no one to vent too. lol

55. Jess4405

@texasmomof3: oh my goodness lol! Lmk what you hear tomorrow! I’m calling tomorrow again see what answer I get.

56. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: So, I literally stayed on hold for close to 4 hours, that’s time I can not get back. I will try again in the morning.

57. Stillwaiting88

On the where’s my stimulus portal I have to put my old address to access it I’m assuming because that’s the address I used to file last year’s return.. On my irs transcript account however it shows my new current address. If my bank account was closed and I am issued a check which address will it go to

58. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Donna S: I file early most years. I have only been resequenced once.

59. ItsMyMoney

If you haven’t received stimmy yet, call 8558680151 option 1 then option 2.. they will tell you where it went. I have had the same bank acct for years and received my 1st check just fine. On GMP it says no info avail and my acct transcripts have 1/4 & 1/18 dates. I was on hold no more than 10 min. Rep said my payment was sent DD on 1/4 but was returned on 1/7. Apparently there was a dummy acct setup to have fees taken out my refund by tax preparer before final pmt was sent to me and that acct has since closed. Rep was sweet said that IRS has not begun reissuing returned funds yet. She said first stim was based on 2018 taxes and this stim was based on 2019 taxes. She said I wouldn’t have to claim the recovery rebate on taxes and the pmt would arrive eventually. Hope this helps someone.

@texasmomof3: It’s possible that they may wait a week before, but if they do that, they’ll only be able to do one test batch, and normally they do 2 tests before opening.

To request a Payment Trace, call the IRS at 800-919-9835 or mail or fax a completed Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund. Find out where to mail or fax that form for your state on the IRS website.

62. Tiredofhearingit

Last year taxes were and are still an embarrassment for many people! Theres no sugar coating it!

63. texasmomof3

@Sheila_33:

Tax Year 2020 Calendar: Important Federal Dates and Deadlines
    SOLVED•by TurboTax•4405•Updated 5 days ago
    January 7, 2021

The Intuit Electronic Filing Center begins accepting and holding/processing 2020 tax returns that are final and able to be e-filed.
    The IRS starts processing returns on February 12, 2021. A few returns will be processed up to a week before this date for testing purposes.
    If your return is among those that the IRS processes early as part of its testing, your tax refund (if any) won’t be processed until after February 12.

64. Mbry0625
      American Express Bluebird

@Sheila_33: yeah it just keeps getting more weird lol

65. texasmomof3

@Jess4405: mine was returned on the 4th and I’m about to call the treasury now to see if I was issued a check. I will post soon as I’m done

66. texasmomof3

@Sheila_33: Turbo tax reported the IRS will began early test batch a week for opening day of 2/12.

@Mbry0625: Nope. Not that I’ve seen. Just not sure how they’re gonna do the batches this year with that opening day pushed out so far. Usually after the holiday, they start going in on a Thursday.