When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live

1. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@•°Karma°•: oh goodness sounding like me. Every year feels like something lol. Let’s pray this is our year.

2. Monee
      NC
      Capital One

@Monksmom4-25: I had a similar situation. It could be that you got whatever it was out of default and it was removed from offset status. That’s what happened with mine. I think it’s safe for you to file now.

3. Monee
      NC
      Capital One

@juicy1409: Thank you for that information. I think returns are being accepted in a random order so I wouldn’t worry too much about it yet.

4. sharonmarie82
      Wells Fargo
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

I filed mine through TT last night about 6:00 PM and just received the notification that my taxes have been accepted. Last year I received my refund on 2/21, hopefully this year will be similar. Now the wait begins.

5. r8rflores
      TaxSlayer
      Ca
      Meta Bank

@SarahWi: I got accepted yesterday 1/14. Filed on Sunday 1/13.

6. Sheila*33

@Momof 4girls and1boy: i filed with free tax and did not receive notification. I only discovered my return had been accepted when I went back in and checked my return.

7. Sheila*33

@Stillwaitinghere: i had really hoped you had received your refund since I hadn’t seen you for awhile. Now, this shutdown has slowed everything down especially those still stuck in review or exam since they’re working with a limited crew of people. I hope you see something soon. Last year was awful for some.

8. Momof 4girls and1boy

To everyone who got accepted already did you pay the fees up front or were they taken out of your refund. File mine on the 4th with fees taken out of refund, (First time ever) and still haven’t gotten accepted use freetax. Just wondering

9. Monksmom4-25
      NetSpend
      3rd Bar
    • Weekly

Question…I had an offset and when I call the hotline and put my info in it would tell me that I had it and give me the number to the creditor. I’ve been working on getting it out of default well when I called today it said there is no offsets or info for my ss# I want to e-file today bc there’s all I’ve been waiting for but still scared what do y’all think

10. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

Just received email from TT that my return was accepted. Filed around 11ish last night. Checked WMR and on first orange block.
    Still have a long ways to go since I have to deal with the Path act. Hopefully this year is smoother.
    I received my refund about mid March last year and the previous year in September.

11. juicy1409

@Monee: I have heard that they reject the 2nd return. Thats what I am afraid i filed with HR Block for the first time on 1/4/19 and I am afraid my return wasnt received when looking at others who filed couple days ago and already got accepted

12. Monee
      NC
      Capital One

I filed with TaxAct on the 3rd but yesterday I read some weird reviews about a lot of returns not being sent in so I filed again last night using turbo tax. My turbo tax return was just accepted. What will happen with the other return?

13. Stillwaitinghere

So im finally able to check my transcript again and nothing. Its still the same from Sept. Even though I was told that it would be expeditied bc there is nothing wrong with my return. Yet here I am 2019 and still waiting. So frustrating bc if there is nothing wrong why am I still waiting? Is there anyone else who is still waiting?

14. Krazy kris
      Texas

I efiled Friday and I haven’t got accepted yet! Glad some have! I can’t even view nothing on website or app!

15. BJAY
      Chase

just got accepted with TT and I filed yesterday..woot woot

16. juicy1409

@Sheila*33: I used HR Block online filling for the first time. TT wanted to charge me for Deluxe (they never charged me in the past) and a few days ago i got an email from TT saying that there was a mistake with charging but i had already filed with HR Block

17. (StephS)momneedsrefund
      We have received your return and it is being processed
      Bank Account
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099

Hello!! I’m stalking before even filing this year lol. I’m going to submit my efile through TT today. I know I will be stuck on PATH until Feb. 15th. Last year I still got my refund by the 22nd of February. Looking forward to worrying with IGMR!!

18. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

@Jennifer<3: @Nj7576:

At first glance it looks like it's an advance option when you click how you would like to receive funds. When you read further into it , I realized it was just for the option of receiving your funds.

Sounds like you opted to receive your funds through their prepaid card.

19. Goodvibes
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Tax Topic 152

Hey guys, where do I put my Pin at? Filing with TT I don’t know if I’ve overlooked it or is it at the very end of filing. I can’t remember but I don’t want to hit that submit button before entering it..

20. Nj7576

@Jennifer<3: now im questioning if I even applied for the advance., did they send u an email right away to set up online account before u got ur card?

21. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

@nj7576: I just got my turbotax card in the mail yesterday and I didn’t get the advance. They send them out when you opt to get it as your way of getting your refund.

22. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

Sooooo….I got click happy and efiled last night. I’m tisking myself right now lol. Oh well….If there’s a snafu again this year….it is what it is.

3rd year in the row is the charm right?

I hope not lol

Also a hella decrease in return from last year. Oh well….somethings something.

23. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

@MSR:

not a dumb question at all.

I use walmart moneycard thru greendot every year for the last 8 yrs. I usually just take what I need off the card through the Money service department in store. If you have a “Walmart Money Card”, you can access all your funds at the store with no fees taken out.

Last year I went straight to the counter and pulled out the majority of my money on my card in 1k increments ….no fees. it took a few transactions but the guy was extremely patient with me.

Unfortunately if its a straight Green Dot card they will charge you , from past experiences with that card. If you haven’t yet filed, I would apply for the walmart money card and use the issued rt/checking number given to you to receive your funds. You’ll get your card way before the deposit .

24. Greetings from Houston

@Sheila*33: ahhhh IC thanks! I’m not in desperate need of funds this year, fortunately. Last year I was because I lost EVERYTHING due to Hurricane Harvey. I have no plans as to how I will be using the money yet. Seeing big digits this year.

25. Sheila*33

@Greetings from Houston: i have tax topic 152. Last year I didn’t get the path message until the week the irs opened. It may change as soon as it cycles thru.

26. Ksheree
      SC
      Netspend Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Manifest.the.best: lol trust me I understand….I stalk every year! I even took notes some years to compare! I’m not quite as obsessed as normal but definitely still watching.

27. Manifest.the.best

@Ksheree: okay. I’ve never seen it before I guess it’s because 8ve never stalked it like this year. I’m anxious about it so that I can use it to move

28. MelissainFlorida
      Vystar Credit Union

@Greetings from Houston: you will not get the path message right away. I believe those do not go out until they start processing EIC returns. If my memory serves me correctly. I could be way off base here LOL. But that’s how I think it went last year

29. Ksheree
      SC
      Netspend Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Greetings from Houston: Last year the path message didn’t come up until after the IRS opened. We all came to the conclusion that when the message popped up you were approved and just had to wait until the hold period for path was over. As soon as it was over we all got DDD’s

30. MelissainFlorida
      Vystar Credit Union

I just got a text from taxact that said my return was accepted. I just filed yesterday not really expecting much. Now just got to be patient for the next month LOL

31. Greetings from Houston

Does anyone who has already been accepted that claimed EIC, etc. get “tax topic 152” or are y’all showing the path message? I’m curious as to why I didn’t get a path message this year like last year. Tax topic 152 had always been good to me.

32. Ksheree
      SC
      Netspend Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Manifest.the.best: It happens every year, bars go missing and come back.

33. Manifest.the.best

@Ksheree: the one bar is gone and now the message reverted back as if they didn’t receive my return yet. This has never happened to me before.

34. Walt dog

My Irs agent that handles my account(,because I had an offer in compromise a couple years ago) he told me that they are auditing a lot of returns this year(a lot of schedule C returnes)but with in general,he said because of the new tax law a lot more money going out this year,He handles my return out of Austin TX,hope everyone has a blessed tax season

35. Ksheree
      SC
      Netspend Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Manifest.the.best: Nothing is wrong, it’s too early for anything to move or be wrong.

36. Sheila*33

@Sugar Land, TX: if you have child credits probably not until the week that path ends. Otherwise possibly the first week of February.

37. Sheila*33

@juicy1409: what tax company are you using and if it’s software can you check your status on it? I didn’t get a notification and I just checked and I had been accepted.

38. Manifest.the.best

I filed on the 10th yesterday the 14th I had a bar and this morning (15th) it said it was processing but now it’s gone back to the 24 hour after I file message. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong?

39. juicy1409

All of you that got accepted on the test batch when did you file? I filed mine on 1/4/19 haven’t heard anything. Been going into test batches for the last 5 years.

40. Ksheree
      SC
      Netspend Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Weekly

@Wondering: I don’t believe there is a max. I know there is a max daily spend limit. I’ve seen people get 10,000 and up deposits on their cards

41. Walt dog

@Joe: I would file hoh if you have kids,you paint claim kids filing separate,later when she gets a number you can amend to married filing jointly

42. nj7576

I applied for TT advance, i received a card does that mean I qualify?Has anyone gotten any correspondence from the TT [email protected]: It asked if you wanted to apply then sent you to sign a form for the card. Thats it I have gotten my card already just no Yes or No to the advance.

43. nj7576

I applied for TT advance, i received a card does that mean I qualify?Has anyone gotten any correspondence from the TT advance?

44. MSR

@The Bold n The Beautiful # sponge212: Thank you…I was trying to see if PP was cheaper. First time…

45. Krazy kris
      Texas

Hello everyone! I’m happy for anyone that got in the test batch! Let’s hope this year is better than last year! Good luck everyone!

46. The Bold n The Beautiful # sponge212

@MSR: nothing free in this world not even the air we breathe…However the best place to go is Wal-Mart you could get cash back when you purchase something it’s free but the cash back limits only $100.00 second choice is also Wal-Mart at customer services you could pull any amount off your green dot for a fee of $3.74 if not mistaken i know it’s less then $4

Efile was accepted yesterday, so I’m assuming I didn’t need a id pin even though I went thru exam last year. Never got notification from free tax but checked this morning and it went through yesterday afternoon.

48. Joe

good morning, I’ve been married for the whole entire year of 2018. my wife doesn’t have a social neither does she work. how can i get her an itin number? I’ve done my taxes with turbo tax. last year was head of household and now im not sure if i file married separately. Pls any help

49. MSR

Really dumb question, but those who have a Green Dot card…how do you pull cash off with lil to no fees?

50. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

@Tebow: read the rules.

51. NikkiH
      Emerald Card
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Good morning, back once again. Filed Saturday, awaiting acceptance. No eic this year, first year in some time I haven’t received that credit so I’m hoping for smooth sailing this time around.

52. wade123
      Minnesota
      Wells Fargo
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

IRS Accepted My Return Yesterday. The Long Walk on The Path Begins.

53. Back again for the 4th year!

Anybody here currently getting the PATH message on their WMR? With credits?

54. 1983Nov_Scorpio

@MsPrettyDimples: Hi! I’m filing thru TT (as always) but I never knew they gave advances… How do you apply???

55. Back again for the 4th year!

Filed Jan 11th, married-filing joint with educational credits and 3 dependents (children). Got accepted Jan 14th. IRS refund tool shows 1st orange bar and tax topic 152. Last year received path message after acceptance. Wonder how this year is going to play out. BTW if anyone has bought insurance through Marketplace, BE SURE to file those 1095-A or those penalties for not reconciling will catch up. I know A LOT of people who had Obamacare for 2+ years and never filed those forms with their taxes.

56. CAmom

When will I get my refund?
    The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting February 27, 2018, if these taxpayers chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.

57. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

@momdukes: my company uploaded them
    Early this year! So I went ahead and filed… I won’t be on the path this year so we shall see how this plays out.

58. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

@Victoria333: Heyyyyy!!! We’re still waiting for W2’s and such over this way so no early filing for us! Not this year.

59. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Sheila_33:
    Hello!!! Long time no see. You are right. What games will be played this year by IRS?

60. Latisha
      Fidelity Cash Managment
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit

Welcome to a new tax year!!! Surprisingly the government shutdown will not cause the IRS to not issue. I will be filing injured spouse so it will be a while before we get ours! Happy filing

61. r8rflores
      TaxSlayer
      Ca
      Meta Bank

Federal and State accepted! Now….we wait!😒

62. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

Congratulations on the early test batch acceptances today!!!

63. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Angela Butcher: no…and to answer your second question since you have tax credits such as EIC you are with all of the other PATH so no refund until after February 15th if all goes well with your return without fault

64. Angela Butcher

So if you get into a test batch does that mean u get a refund quicker?..also I have an eic how long does that usually take..so sorry I’m new to this

65. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

I got one bar!! So excited!!

66. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Aokfefe: yes good/ bad hope your return doesn’t sit in test batch for months…And good if you are not a path so you may get it early if you do not have all the credits like eic

67. Mbry0625
      Credit union

Anyone else check their transcripts from last year and have 570 after 846. I got my refund I’m just wondering why 570 after it all.

68. Back4the2ndyear

@Angela Butcher: I’m using my block for h&r block an it tells me status: pending as of 1/7/19 an as far as knowing if your in the test batch I couldn’t tell you I think it’s random

69. Goodvibes
    • Tax Topic 152

I received my pin today :) Mississippi!!

70. Angela Butcher

@Back4the2ndyear: where do I check to see if it’s pending or not..or how do I find out if my tax check was one of the ones that went thru test batch

71. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

Looks like things are slowing down for today.

72. RebeccaBb

My return was accepted by the IRS but my Easy Advance was declined through Republic Bank. I was approved last year, does anyone know why this happened?!

73. Houston tx Girl

@The Bold n The Beautiful: I didn’t know about that and I filed with taxact . So by the time I got news about the advance loan it was to late

74. stephenNC
      NC
      chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • Weekly

@farmette girl: thank you. My wife just notified her boss and he said he would correct it before he has her w2 printed

75. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Houston tx Girl: yep…I’m pretty much ok i took out an advance for 1,500 got it last Monday so those small bill’s i had looking over my shoulders we’re paid…

76. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

@Sugar Land, TX: well I sure hope I make it through today lol

77. TammyD

i get early acceptance every year. i file and submit to tt literally 1/1 at midnight (technically 1/2) every year. Always get my refund by the 2nd week of Feb

78. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

So do you guys think they are going by file date?

79. Justme23

Nice to see the early acceptance started!!!! I’m still waiting until after February 15th but happy to see things rolling. Taxmas time!!!

80. BJAY
      Chase

Anybody that filed with TT today get accepted yet? Or is it only people that filed before today?

81. Justin
      TaxSlayer
      MO
      Green Dot
    • Premium Tax Credit 8962
    • Tax Topic 152

I got accepted to. Taxslayer. Filed a few days ago Hopefully refund come early to

82. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

Was just accepted with TT :)

83. Sugar Land, TX

I filed on the 9th with Turbo deluxe edition. Just got the text that i was accepted.

In years past, it always only took about three hours to get accepted.

Hopefully this shows the pace this year.

84. Walt dog

I used free taste USA and my return has been accepted by the irs,where’s my refund says it’s processing,I have with and child tax credit and additional child tax credit

85. AprilAnn

Just wanted to let everyone know I filed with taxact, was received Jan 4th and just got text saying it was accepted! I also have the eic and child tax credits

86. JustAshe
      NetSpend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2, Premium Tax Credit 8962

Hello all, a few questions :)

TaxAct is telling me now I have to use the paid version for filing EITC and Premium Tax Credit (Marketplace insurance) . Are all the online places charging for this now? Should I just pay the $25 and be done with it?

Second, any idea on the PATH “can’t release before” date this year?

87. Txmomof3girls
      TX
    • Weekly

Nice to see we have people going in test batch…. I’m still waiting to press that button, I want to pay fees upfront so have to wait for that paycheck!

Transcripts are up and running. Let the games begin, lol.

89. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@stephenNC: I would wait for w2 this year if you can. ( just my opinion nobody bite my head off) just because they held mine alone with hundreds of other due to numbers not matching w2s. If that’s true idk but that’s what they were telling us.

Anyone that has updated with an acceptance on their efile, or even if you haven’t been accepted post the tax software you used?

91. lori1985
      NetSpend

Hmm, what do you do if you get an ID Pin after you’ve already efiled? Will it kick back and let you enter it in when they start accepting?

92. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Houston tx Girl: good your should c an update for ddd after the 15th of February if u r a path and everything is okay with your return weekly’s updates on Fridays

93. Jimbo
      Tennessee

I got a text from Taxact this morning that my federal return was accepted. Does this mean I’m in the test batch?
    I’m stuck on PATH either way so it doesn’t matter to me but maybe the info will help others. I filed on the 8th or 9th

94. Sugar Land, TX

Still waiting to be accepted. Its been 6 days, which is unusually long for me. I file the simplest of returns.

95. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

@Houston tx Girl: that’s great to hear! Atleast there is movement 😉

96. Houston tx Girl

I have been on here for 3 years now , I’m also a path . Never posted until now .I filed on the Jan 3 and I was accepted by the IRS today.

97. Victoria333
      CA
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

Hello everyone!

98. farmette girl

@stephenNC: You need to notify her employer and have them change it…. then when her W2 prints it will be correct.

99. Bmoore Indiana

I am path act have been on this site for 6 years but never posted. My return was accepted 5 minutes ago.

100. Joe
    • W2

Well I just filed via Taxact. The most basic of filings-single one W2 no deductions, no PATH blah blah blah. Refund amount compared to last year was down about $150 bucks.

101. stephenNC
      NC
      chime
    • Weekly

Ok so I got a question on my wife’s pay check stub it says her name but her middle initial is wrong but everything else is good. Like her social security number and all that is good my question is will this mess with my taxes since her middle initial is wrong on her check stub. And what should we do her employer want be handing out w2 until Jan 25 th