When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live

Batch 1 of Hub Testing: Jan. 14-17th. Batch 2 of Hub Testing Jan. 21-24th. Curious how this is going to work this year with this shutdown.

2. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

@GingerSnap: oh okay. I didn’t know. Just curious about stuff.

3. GingerSnap
      GreenDot

@Jennifer<3: yes they do path act in HUB testing

4. Jennifer<3
      Illinois
      Turbotax card

I’m just annoyed lol. I also googled the hub testing this year and don’t see anything at all. I don’t think they do path act as part of the hub but I don’t know much about it.

5. BJAY
      Chase

JUST E-FILED WITH TURBOTAX…guess i’ll be the Ginny Pig too lol

6. N.i.a

@Angela Butcher: Tax prepares have been posting all over fb just go on fb and search irs hub testing and you’ll find it

7. spicecd
      California
      Bank

Hi everyone! Glad to be back for another tax season with all of it’s ups and downs. I’m under the PATH act so don’t expect any movement until next month but good luck to everyone.

8. The Bold n The Beautiful

@ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!: To early to panic just hold on the fat lady hasn’t sing just yet..You need to remember what is going on with all that gov mess so just hold on at least until January 29th then if still the same that is when you could let your 🐎 aka horse’s out….

9. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

So tax act is just telling people it was received just because they sent it to the que? That’s crazy lol. I was going to go thru TA but I went back to good old TT lol. I’m just getting nervous because I’ve always been at least accepted by now and the wait is killing me LMAO. I’ve never filed this early though. I just wish I had some assurance

10. Lots of coins

@Muh refunds:
    Amen! luv tax time with all my baby credits. I plan to leave them with the baby daddy’s & go on a trip to TJ!

11. The Bold n The Beautiful

@lori1985: That what you are referring to is called PATH yes still there and to be honest it’s never going away…sorry😘

12. The Bold n the Beautiful

@Wes302: Run Forrest 🏃 to that mailbox show u right!!!! In other words yes..m

13. Monee
      Capital One

@ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!: Tax act saying received just means it was put in the system to be sent to the IRS but hasn’t been accepted by the IRS yet if I remember correctly. My mom did a different software and hers says accepted.

14. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

So.. I’ve got to ask again because I’m paranoid.. But why have tax act showed received but not anyone else. I’m getting upset.

15. Wes302

If my 2017 tax return is finally done with tax information showing 700 less and 1040x amended complete on turbo tax should I receive check soon?

16. lori1985
      NetSpend

Hello everyone! Another year another rollercoaster. Just so I’m clear, there’s still a ‘hold’ on accounts that have kids and certain credits right? Last year we didn’t get our deposits till late feb/early March because of some new laws. Did they do away with that? If not I’m not going to rush into doing them.

17. Monee
      Capital One

My mom said her return was accepted when she checked it today. I’m in my feelings. Lol

18. Jimbo
      Tennessee

@sunshine days: Yeah, it is always something. I remember having to pay attention to the news last year because of a shutdown looming over my return.

19. Jimbo
      Tennessee

@ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!: That thought crossed my mind as well. Maybe they’ll just try to “not get bogged down on small details”
    🤞🏼 Here’s hoping

20. sunshine days

@Jimbo: I don’t think so each year they Scare us into a different scenario but we always make out just fine

21. Monee
      Capital One

@stephenNC: I have a chime card. They are really awesome and they don’t hold funds.

22. radshackgirl77 (aka: Erika K)
      Massachusetts
      Bancorp
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

Hello again everyone. Ready for another fun filled tax season. Kind of horrified at what this tax season has in store for us. Lol

23. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

@Jimbo: I personally think that because of the lack of employees that they will just start pushing everything through lol. But that’s just me.

24. Jimbo
      Tennessee

Whats up guys?
    I, like everyone else have been following this Government Shutdown and don’t know what to expect. Even after they announced that they will be paying out even if it stretches into the tax season, I’m a little skeptical. We all know this time of year is crazy for the IRS even when they’re not operating with 1/8th of their employees. Do you guys think we’ll all feel a delay if this stretches on? I’m EITC, so I’m stuck waiting either way. Just curious what everyone thinks is going to happen.

25. Shineyegirl
      Liberty Tax
      Wells Fargo

Hope everyone is having a good day today!

26. stephenNC
      chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • Weekly

anyone have any past experience with chime.

27. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@Mike: yes. I am hoping so. I am in Florida so i figured maybe a few extra days. I will definitely be checking my informed delivery everyday lol

28. Goodvibes
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@NoPinYet: really tho, fingers crossed 4 next week! Maybe they’re doing it by states i🤷🏽‍♀️

29. Goodvibes
    • Tax Topic 152

@Mike: thanks.!

30. Mike
      RI
      Wells Fargo

@Goodvibes: I received my pin Friday I believe and FYI it was dated 1/14 which was a few days ahead of when I got it. You will most likely see yours this week!

31. Gr8wrtr

@Mzchase813: In my past audit experience-yes, it will hold up your refund until ur audit is cleared and they don’t find that u owe any additional taxes. If u do owe then that amt will be automatically deducted from ur refund. But, it does take a few weeks longer. Exp: married filed joint-3 dependents schedule C 2012 audit. Audited for 2012 in 2016, refund filed first week in Feb didn’t receive refund until April. And no we were not found to owe any additional taxes. Hope u get urs MUCH sooner!

32. The Bold n The Beautiful

Shut down Shake down doesn’t matter because they always start bull—- around late November-December throughout tax season time just like that PATH…i guess next tax season each person will need to give DNA

33. Goodvibes
    • Tax Topic 152

Anyone else received pins?? I think I’ve only seen 1 person that had received theirs 🤔

34. Dewy
      Mass
      BofA
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset

Nobody knows how the shutdown will affect things. One thing is for sure… the sooner they reopen the govt the better off we will be to get our money on time..

35. Sheila*33

@Monee: Thank you. I read that they are really looking at the schedule c ‘ s and there were a few of us last year that got hit with audits because of it.

36. Mzchase813

December 2018 I received a mail audit from 2016 I sent it all the paperwork in and I just filed my 2018 taxes will this audit hold up my refund or how does that work I have never been audited before!!! Anyone know what I should expect

37. Monee
      Capital One

@Sheila*33: I had to id verify last year. It didn’t hold things up for me tho. By the time everyone else’s refunds were released, so was mine. It helped that I filed early.

38. Don25
      michigan
      Fifth Third
    • 1099

This should be a interesting tax season. From what I have read the shut down will not effect our returns. Best of luck to all.

39. Sheila*33

@Monee: i see you filed with credits and schedule c. Did you have any issues last year? Last year was the first time I filed schedule c and I went into an audit the first week of Feb. It was the only thing different on my return.

40. Sheila*33

@stephenNC: last year I submitted efile on the 8th and was accepted by the irs on the 11th. Not sure when they started processing since I’m weekly but I do know I went into exam request the Friday the same week the season officially started.

41. Monee
      Capital One

@stephenNC: Oh OK. Thank you

42. stephenNC
      chime
    • Weekly

@Monee: the irs starts test batches 1 week before they official open

43. stephenNC
      chime
    • Weekly

@Sheila*33: last year and year b4 that the irs started doing the test batches 1 week before they official open

44. Monee
      Capital One

@Sheila*33: I think you are right. I know refunds shouldn’t be held up but the day they start taking early filers could be delayed.

45. Sheila*33

@Monee: i agree. I haven’t seen any efile acceptances yet and I’m guessing a lot of it is that things are not moving as fast because of the shutdown.

46. Monee
      Capital One

Hey! Pretty new here. I filed with Tax act and I haven’t been accepted by the IRS. I got something that said return received but it just meant my return was accepted by the TaxAct system. They told me my return will probably be picked up the third week in January so idk

47. The Bold n The Beautiful

@ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!: I think we should all wait until after the 29th of January to really see thing’s move we should have more information about irs accepting our returns

48. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Ducky: not here yet went to 📪 yesterday for someone still no ip pin
    ..Florida

49. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

So..i see tax act filers have been received by the Irs but I filed with TT and still am pending. What’s up with that?

50. BJAY
      Chase

@sdg: thanks i was able to put in same identical info and not have to upgrade to deluxe…although i made slightly more it still let me 😁

51. Sheila*33

@Shari1989: They will probably take it out of your refund for this year. Was it a letter to confirm what you owe or did it give you the option to contest it? How recent was the letter?

52. Jane1974

I filed my 2017 taxes on 12/7/18. I was late on filing because I was afraid I was going to owe. Yes, I procrastinate.

Okay, so I completed my taxes and will receive a refund. I mailed my taxes on 12/6 or 12/7.

I did not check WMR until 12/26. WMR shows return received. Generic TT152. Now when I enter my information, WMR displays I may not have entered info correctly. I’ve verified my information, filing date.
    Still nothing comes up.

Can anyone please give me some information? Has this happened to anyone? Thanks

53. confusedEXEMPTIONtaker

@April Ann: the irs aint open till 1/28,first accepted a day or two after that ,right,if the shutdown doesnt slow it all up even more.all just held in que till then.maybe a test batch a few days earlier,but that can be a curse not a mve up,so careful what u wish for,lol.

54. sdg

@BJAY: if ur talking about the difference between tt free & freedom that would b free is for simple std returns with no itemizations and no other credits besides eic & ctc. Freedom is totally free as long as ur income is under $34K or if u qualify for any amount of eic and u can still itemize & claim tuition & other credits besides eic & ctc.

55. sdg

@Chosenjuan: good info bro looking for wmr status to change to a ddd on sunday as opposed to a check in the mail. Definitely think the the shutdown is the reason y our 2017 refunds haven’t shown a date as yet but expecting one pretty soon since the id pins being mailed out shows there’s sign of life at the irs despite the shutdown.

56. April Ann

Has anyone filed and been accepted? my return was received on Jan 4th through taxact, but is still showing nothing on wmr.

57. The Bold n The Beautiful

@stephenNC: you either go to your netspend account or call customer services that is listed on the back of your card

58. stephenNC
      chime
    • Weekly

@Goodvibes: how do I add her to my NetSpend account

59. stephenNC
      chime
    • Weekly

@The Bold n The Beautiful: yes I’m paying my fees up front this year thank you I’ll use the NetSpend thanks for the advice

60. The Bold n The Beautiful

@@The Bold n The Beautiful:: oh ok well if you want your full refund you may want to call them to make arrangements…it will work out for you

61. The Bold n The Beautiful

@stephenNC: add both name’s on account Net spend ok all pretty much is the same in atm fees can’t around that..net spend 1 day early kinda false advertised even on t.v. you get your fund’s a day b 4 not 2 day’s b 4 that’s from my experience unless you pay your return fees upfront then your return will come from i.r.s. to treasury then straight on your card without the third-party which is the middle man those banks

62. @The Bold n The Beautiful:

@The Bold n The Beautiful: no I received the letter today it was dated 1/7/19 I have to respond by 2/6/19

63. sonrisa809
      Ga
      Bluebird American Express
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099
    • Tax Topic 152

@stephenNC: I have Walmart Amex and I get refund loaded a day before. I don’t remember how much they took off when I withdraw but I think it was less than $10 is it less than $3000 withdrawa

64. The Bold n The Beautiful

@Shari1989: um you may could make payments arr then again you knew you owe this money right? It may be 2 late they may just take what you owe you should have started the payments last year

65. Shari1989

I received a letter stating I owe taxes due to a proposed amount. Will the amount owed be deducted from this year taxes? Or can I arrange a payment plan?

66. Goodvibes
    • Tax Topic 152

@stephenNC: I can answer from my experience I love Netspend which is by MetaBank & yes u would need to add your wife 2 the card acoount b4 u file.. I have experienced this..! Hope this helps.!

67. stephenNC
      chime
    • Weekly

ok i got a question for all.. ok so this year me and wife will be having our refund loaded on a prepaid card question 1. who is the best and have the cheapest rates as far as transactions at atms etc.. question two out of the places which ones take a joint tax refund that can load onto a prepaid debit card and question 3 since im the main tax payer and my name will be first on the refund check.. would my wife have to be added to the card or how does that work thank you all for your input.

68. lol

@Ron: funny how it doesnt say that anywhere, lol, nice try at disinformation, fyi, they process those refunds affected by the path act once they receive them, they just dont release the refund. so try again not so smart one

69. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@•°Karma°•: wow are you kidding me. It just said it wasn’t available. Oh yeah they might lose me for sure.

70. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

@MSR:

I’ve used turbo tax for the last 10yrs….the last few they’ve been making Hella money off repeat idiots like me….lol.

Maybe I’ll switch up this year. Lol

71. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

@Mbry0625:

I forgot to mention. In order for the fees to even be deducted from your refund you have to opt for deluxe now…not only deluxe but you have to add the max defense too. A great way to have their cake and eat it too. It adds up to a pretty penny. Free isn’t free anymore through them ….hasn’t for years.

72. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

@MSR: @Mbry0625:

What I thought was the advance was not it. 😢
    It was the prepaid card they offer. I guess that’s what I get for trying to read shyyt half sleep and blurry eyed.

I’m beginning to think that maybe the ones offered this option are those filing non-eitc/dependent credits, ie; Path act. It would make sense.

Then again, nothing refund related has been normal in years.

Lolll….most of us have given up trying to figure out the rhyme and reason anymore.

Us pathers have to wait another month or more to have any clue of what’s going on…all while crossing our fingers that we don’t get pulled into another review or worse, an audit.

I’d rather not chance it….even if the option popped up on turbo tax. The last 2 years were shyyty enough with 2 reviews.

But if the option does pop up for you all it will show up in the options area on how you want to receive your refund at the end.

73. Ron

IRS won’t process child tax credit till after mid March.

Since it’s a gov shutdown they are approving bare bones refunds with little to. I credit.

This shutdown is messing with our money! He should just declare an emergency and build the wall!

74. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

@Mbry0625: I’ve already filed so I can’t access the list, but maybe Google can help ☺

75. juicy1409

Anyone have good experience with filing taxes with HR Block? First time using them as TT requires me to get $40 deluxe and $40 deposit fee when it used to be free of charge.

76. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

@MSR: yeah only like 3 do not qualify. Sadly I’m in Illinois and I don’t qualify lol

77. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@•°Karma°•: do you know when it should pop up because it’s telling me to pay for deluxe before I even get to anything else.

78. BJAY
      Chase

@sdg: what is the difference?

79. Chosenjuan

@sdg: Ok so I had to verify for 2016 and 2017, finally did that this year. I was told be the accounts review dept that my refunds had been processed, the 2016 would be offset and the remainder would be sent by check in the mail because it from a prior tax year, and i definitely received a check in December for the remainder. The 2017 return was still being held and the agent said that it would be disbursed before Jan 28, 2019. Also the date they gave me for 2016 was Dec 31 and said that a check would be mailed that day which was a monday (odd) but it came a week before the date it was to be mailed. Certainly our info regenerated in December so my conclusion is that ours is processed and pending payout. The processing has not began for 2018 so we may still fit in the 2017 direct deposit window, seems like the most logical explanation. As well if the gov shutdown is not affecting the 2018 returns then the 2017 return payout should not be jeopardized. We just cant speak with a live agent. I’ve even filed my 2018 return but the conflict will appear if Im accepted in the test batch and wmr still has 2017 info. 9 times out of 10 our dates were already generated from 2017, the return is processed and the payout is not manual but automated so if it has a date and its scheduled for direct deposit then that is what will happen…

80. sdg

@Chosenjuan: same here filed early October last year went through the phone id verification successfully in November and now still waiting on a refund date but wmr been say for the last several weeks ‘we have received your tax return and it is being processed’. Please let me know if ur status changes & to what & I will do the same. Like I said got my id pin in the mail yesterday but dont want to file my 2018 return until I get my 2017 refund.

81. Kryseileen

Can someone tell me what this informed delivery is? Is there somewhere I can check if I have something coming?

82. Chosenjuan

”we have received your tax return and it is being processed” is what my wmr still says from last year because I haven’t received 2017 taxes. Just received 2016 last month. But is it normal to still be able to see last years info

83. The Bold n The Beautiful

@•°Karma°•: well i took the bait fried it and ate it up…took the bait last Thursday and Saturday evening it was there pick my money up Monday was to busy to go get it Saturday …But anywho i took that bait

84. vlntn1988

So for people that have kids and low income there wont be any money until after February 15? i remember in 2008 i got my return 2 days after file but had no kids then. this first 2 months of the year are so damn stressful. we need our money, we all do and we don’t like the wait.

85. Nimo33

@India: All pins I believe that some already have them if im not mistaken I’m reading some comments

86. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      Walmart Money Card-GreenDot

how many of you applied for the advance through TT if it was offered?

it comes up but not sure if I want to take the bait. loll

87. Mike
      RI
      Wells Fargo

@Mbry0625: Just checked my infomred delivery and looks like my IP Pin is going to be there when I get home thought you would want to know :)

88. Mbry0625
      Credit union

I think I am waiting until opening day. I am still waiting for my pin and w2s this year lol. I’m not getting held up because my numbers are off 12 dollars.

89. Mbry0625
      Credit union

@Kelly: someone posted that their tax advocate told them we will start seeing them next week. But no one has reported getting one yet.

90. Kelly
      MI
      Huntington
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft, Weekly

4th year back :)

I haven’t yet received my IP pin. Do you think that the govt shutdown is affecting these getting processed?

91. thedogdidit

@EmmyB: never have a problem filing early..so it sits till accepted then a little wait till it comes..no biggy..just one thing I don’t have to sit and do later ..

92. Justme23inPA

Heyyyyy my 6th year back here!!!! Not filing until February but just checking in to see how it’s going so far. I see that people are panicking about their return not being accepted yet. From my experience, when I file early the test batch doesn’t start until a week before the irs officially starts accepting returns (Jan.29th) So I don’t think anyone has an acceptance at this point.

93. Kindness

I was wondering the same. I see on Turbo Tax that mine was amended too. Hope they don’t send it in the mail for me to sign. Ridiculous that would just further delay it,as I’ve been waiting for a whole year. Smh. Let’s get the ball rolling now

94. Dewy
      Mass
      BofA
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset

Can’t wait til the end of the month to receive my w2s and get everything going. I already printed out my final pay stubs for my 2 jobs… I love this time of the year. I never file now til the day tax season opens because that way I don’t get held up. I am a weekly after all….

95. ImBackAgainAndPreggo!!

I’m just getting crazy nervous.. Probably my pregnancy hormones.. But I just want turbotax to uPdate that My return was received. I’m not the only one right? It’s the shutdown right?

96. Randawg21

Has anyone filed and been accepted yet? I’m waiting to file until I see others get accepted.

97. sonrisa809
      Ga
      Bluebird American Express
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099
    • Tax Topic 152

@MSR: ok.,, so they deduct everything I owe?? Or partial.., sorry if I’m asking too many questions

98. sonrisa809
      Ga
      Bluebird American Express
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099
    • Tax Topic 152

Hello everyone.,, if someone can please tell me.,, last year I had to amend my taxes and I have to pay back all my refund.,, what is the next step.,? Will IRS take deduct what I owe when I file this year?? Or can I make a payment arrangement with them?? I would like to know before I file., thank you in advance

99. Nimo33

@India: I called my TA today by cell we will start receiving Idenity theft pins by mail nexts week per TA