Join Live Discussion

For all the people impatiently waiting on tax refunds.

A grapevine for taxpayers, by taxpayers.

Ask all of your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Comment Notes

What Others Are Saying

1. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Dmw: yep and i bleieve that will happen as well you may b right

2. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Willie: if u dont mind me asking didi it all come together and same day? im waitin on returns and last two stim payments just comncerned with whats owed to me just wondering

3. Just me again

@sl921: I feel they never should have touched 2020 returns until all of you waiting on 2019 were completed.

4. Willie

I just got a CP53 notice for my tax return for 2019 which there was also stimulus payment issued. I also got a paper check for my 2019 tax refund. Can I expect a $1200 stimulus payment which I also never received?

5. MSRazorbackPhD

I tend not to acknowledge certain comments, but…
    This is an open place to discuss tax issues! I COMPLETELY sympathize with those waiting on REFUNDS owed, because many of us have also had to wait! And it gets beyond frustrating when funds nor answers aren’t flowing!

I pray you guys get your money soon!

6. Dmw

@@tiredofwaitinginva: I feel your pain. I am beginning to wonder if we will be pushed back again when they start the child tax payments. If everyone who already received their refunds are first for that too

7. Dmw

@Monica Rivera: I just saw my wages finally filed in as well however I file married and joint and nothing yet for my husband. My as of date has been stuck on April 26 for months. W hope it means some movement. Have you heard how it moves once wages fill in?

8. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Dmw: in the same boat as your and ur husband. pray we get an update folk are getting the extra money they are deciding to send and teh money owed to us we are still waiting im praying weall update as we wait bills pile up so when we do get our change OWED back to us thall b gone b4 we can make a pmnt good luck hun yaw hang inthere

9. @tiredofwaitinginva

grand rising all … quick quest anybody….once you received that letter talking bout a child credit did you receive any notice about your refund or sitmulus checks by anychance after or a change during that time? im still waiting on those 3 not even worried boutthat child tax credit checks beacuse that a month away im tryin to receive the money owed to me

10. Dmw

I’m happy that people are receiving their money but honestly those of us who filed months ago and are married with kids and haven’t even received our tax refund are kinds frustrated that they are giving unemployment refunds to people who already received a refund. I filed the day the tax laws changed. My husband and I both had unemployment and we waited to avoid issues and claim the credits and taxes correctly and well we see how that worked out. I have 3 kids one with cerebral palsy and desperately need my refund and still waiting and waiting and waiting.

11. Mommyof3
      FreeTaxUSA
      MI
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

Whelp!! That went well😣got the stupid 900 code..basically allowing them to tell me they cant give me any info on my return cus it automatically make you wait 8 weeks to received either a correspondence or refund but im beyond 8 weeks and this tax season is beyond me their lucky this year im in a good financial situation or else ill be on their a** like white on rice

12. Monica Rivera

@sl921: this week marks 15 weeks for me…filed amended feb 27 2021… Irs receive it feb 27th and started processing feb 27th..all the same day..and still nothing… I have the 2021 tab..which i receive 2 fridays ago..over the weekend my wages filled in..hoping that means something good..as of date still may 31st

13. sl921

Anyone that sent 1040X Amend has any updates for 2019 or 2020? Sent mine at end of March for 2019 and nothing. :-(

14. MSRazorbackPhD

To date, the IRS has reviewed over 3.1 million returns, with more than 2.8 million receiving refunds.

The IRS plans to issue the next set of refunds in mid-June. The review of returns and processing corrections will continue during the summer as the IRS continues to review the simplest returns and then turns to more complex returns.

Taxpayers will receive letters from the IRS, generally within 30 days of the adjustment, informing them of what kind of adjustment was made (such as refund, payment of IRS debt payment or payment offset for other authorized debts) and the amount of the adjustment.

15. MSRazorbackPhD

@Deano: Looking it up! I saw mid-June thru summer earlier this week. Thanks

16. Di from Vermont

Low and behold my wages have filled in. Filed Feb 23rd. Was on hold for wage verification. The advocate said my employer failed to supply a year to date total. Funny..my w3 had a total and so did SSA. Still have a hold code for refund. 2021 has popped up. Still 000 for 3rd stimulus

17. Benita
      New York
      Chime
    • Cycle Code:
      20211005
    • As of:
      Apr-12
    • Processing Date:
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@NYnic: My son had a date for 6/07/2021, he’s also single.

18. clarissa

@TGIF: exactly. the time it took to do that they could have processed our payment.

19. Mommyof3
      FreeTaxUSA
      MI
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@Sheila_33: ok thanks.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Mommyof3: Still looking, I’m believe thats the cp05 number but if they will transfer you, its worth trying. Also, here’s the id verify number, not sure if there’s an option to transfer. 800-830-5084

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Mommyof3: @Nebula stated 6/4: 800-829-0922 is the number I’ve been using to get through. Press 1 for language but after that don’t press anything, even when it says you have to respond. It will go through the prompts twice, then say it’s unable to process your response but after that you will be transferred.

Sometimes the lines are full but after about 5-10 minutes I call again and get through and the wait is usually around 30 minutes.

22. Mommyof3
      FreeTaxUSA
      MI
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@Sheila_33: ok thanks a bunch

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Mommyof3: Give me a minute, I thought I saw someone yesterday that stated a good number. I’ll go back and look.

24. SCG

Finally some movement. Filed and accepted 3-17. Stuck on ‘still processing’ since March 30. This morning all transcripts have filled in and I have an 846 for 6-11. This is the most ridiculous tax season on record. I filed HoH, had some unemployment but have no idea if I am getting an extra refund of that, EIC, Schedule C.

25. Mommyof3
      FreeTaxUSA
      MI
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@Sheila_33: do you have another number to reach a live rep

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Ange: To start a payment trace, call the IRS at 800-919-9835.

27. TGIF

@clarissa: I checked this morning and noticed mine now has the red asterisk as well next to the $0.00
    Just think, in the time it took them to flag accounts in that manner they could have looked at the top of the graph where it has our AGI showing we’re definitely eligible income wise and sent us to process for the stimulus.

28. Deano

That information came out yesterday on the irs website
    Other than that who knows 🤔

29. Deano

Good morning to all
    Regarding the unemployment refunds we are supposed to get a letter from the IRS before they send
    Refund and they are sending out 2.8 million sometime this week
    This information is on the IRS website under news 🙂

30. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

So yesterday I was able to get through to a live person at the IRS. I was told that my account now has a tax advocate, which I was not aware of and I was provided with the contact information for my newly assigned advocate.
    When I contacted my state congressman’s office, they emailed me back and had me sign a release form so they could contact the IRS on my behalf. In doing that apparently that means they assign a local tax advocate.
    I called my advocate who I luckily was able to get on the phone. She had not even reviewed my file yet, but did it with me on the phone. She was able to log right in to my tax account and saw that I sat in “errors” for 78 days. She couldn’t really see anything wrong with it, but then stated that I needed to provide her with two forms relating to health insurance through the marketplace, which was odd as both of the forms she requested were included in my Turbo Tax electronic tax filing, so they should have already had them. She said that she was surprised that I had not received any letters or request for these documents.
    So, I am glad that I called her or my return would probably remain stuck for a while.
    I immediately faxed the forms to her, so now I have to sit back and wait to see what happens and how quickly…..fingers crossed!

31. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

@Ashb: As of right now, I do not really see that it means much other than the income/wages were reported. Nothing else on mine seems to have changed. But, we shall see.

32. MSRazorbackPhD

@NYnic: Yeah, I spoke with my sister late yesterday, and she said both of my nieces got their UE refunds. Both are single!

33. NYnic
      3rd Bar
    • Deposit Date:

@MSRazorbackPhD: The only person that I know who received their UE refund was my daughter. She received hers by dd on June 3rd. She is single with no dependents.

34. Ashb

@Molly43: I’m in the same boat what does that mean 2/17 filler

35. Ashb

@DONELLA: mine did to and I filed 2/17 what does that even mean is someone working on them ??

36. MUS

@MUS; Hi Cindy my two daughters have the same exact problem, They were non filers and they received both stimulus 1 and 2 by checks. For third stimulus check first they had a date for check 26 march 2021 but the checks never came!!!
    Now GMP is asking for AGI , Refund amount ????and Bank Details. Where can we get the AGI and Refund amount for 2019 for a non filer???? They put 0,0 but error message coming????
    If you get the answer to this puzzle please let us know or any smart tax wizzaed can help! Very desperate folks

37. Ange

I still dont have my stimulous check. Says i am eligible and deposited to my bank account. Still no check. Would someone in the Federal office be able to help?

38. DONELLA
      Turbo Tax
      NY
      NETSPEND
      Blank
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, Look Back

@DONELLA: OH YEA AND CORPORATIONS TOO DONE ATE OFF THE COVID MONEY ERBODY BUT US SMH

39. DONELLA
      Turbo Tax
      NY
      NETSPEND
      Blank

“PLAYING WITH MY MONEY, IS LIKE PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS” -BIG WORM, -FRIDAY

40. DONELLA
      Turbo Tax
      NY
      NETSPEND
      Blank

my wage transcript updated guys whoopty freakn doo am I supposed to feel special ?

41. Mommyof3
      FreeTaxUSA
      MI
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

I guess im the only one lost on wage transcripts update mines never in all my years of filing showed anything other that some identity theft and call a number and my address updated

42. M Reed

June 7th and still
    Says same thing eligible but no date this crazy! I was told when I filed my taxes that would trigger it to be released! Mmm
    Lies!

43. angiesview101
      Turbo Tax
      California
      Chime
    • As of:
      Jun-7
    • 4464C LETTER, CP05 NOTICE
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, 1099

@Sdiego: right my wage and income transcript is now showing as well. We shall see..

44. angiesview101
      Turbo Tax
      California
      Chime
    • As of:
      Jun-7
    • 4464C LETTER, CP05 NOTICE
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, 1099

Looks like there is movement just on the wage and income transcript portion of my 2020 return. Just seeing how this goes.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Molly43: Its possible. Wage transcript is all income reported to the Irs such as w2s, 1099s, etc from the SSa.

46. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
    • As of:
      Jun-28

@Molly43: yes maybe this Friday we will finally see some ddd dates 🙏

47. Motzaball

I can see my wage transcript for the first time!!! I dont know what that means but im super excited!!!

48. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

@Sdiego: my wages finally filled in today as well. My top two transcripts are still N/A.
    Fingers crossed this means some progress for us.🤞

49. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

@Sheila_33. My top two transcripts are still N/A.

50. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

@Sheila_33. As of this afternoon, I can now see my wages in my 2020 transcript. Prior to today, it said no wages or income reported. Does this mean that someone may have finally touched my return for processing?

51. Amy Spence
      FreeTaxUSA
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), 1099, W2

@cyndy: there are specific instructions on IRS.GOV it is $0 on one and $1 on the other, just don’t know which is which.

52. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
    • As of:
      Jun-28

just a update as I have been waiting for my refund and my as of date changed to 6-21-21 last Friday.
    Today my wages shows up for year ending 2020. but the account is still blank. I tried to I’d verify last week and was not necessary for me.

53. cyndy

I have a question… I don’t usually file taxes so I used the non-filer link last year to claim my stimulus. When I check “get my payment it stated they need more info and ask for my agi, and refund amount, which I don’t have because I’m a non filer. It ask for my bank info so they can resend, but it gives me error code because they state the need agi and refund amount… Please help… I tried 0 for each

54. Larry burgess

I was wanting to know when will I receive I’m return it’s Ben a long time

55. MSRazorbackPhD

I have only seen one person say they got the UE, but she was single. Outside of that…nada!

56. phillyhero64

@Monica Rivera: ridiculous

57. Where’s MyBread

@Janel120: they’re open just still on BS

58. cookie

@Monica Rivera: Down for me too

59. Monica Rivera

Can access my irs account…irs website is down…i hope their updating my info for a ddd…gosh..15 weeks come on mannnnnn!!!! I and my husband have 8 kids 7 which we still take care of….

60. Monica Rivera

@Janel120: im trying to figure that out myself..i got the 2021 tab 2 fridays ago..and when i click on it its says if i requested a adjustment my info will be unavailable until it has finished processing…this thurs marks 15 weeks..