Join Live Discussion

For all the people impatiently waiting on tax refunds.

A grapevine for taxpayers, by taxpayers.

Ask all of your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Online
    • As of:
      May-17
    • Processing Date:
      May-5
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

Hey, I filed 2/19, my trans. updated Friday …trans shows my return was “received on 4/15/21.” wtf? does this mean my damn 8 wks starts over? they originally showed on wmr (before I lost bars) that they received it on 2/19. frustrated and just need my $!v

3. Stephanie Blackwolf

Hi, I was accepted 2/10 but had to wait for the ID verify letter which didn’t come until last week. I verified via faxing all my docs on Tuesday. Today I received an email from Usps to expect a letter from US dept of treasury. I took a screen shot of it. Could it be a check for my return or do you think it might be something else?

4. Lil Shawn

@dave: If they didn’t give you a reference code and number to call, you are probably ok. My cousin got reference 1242 and a number and extension to call. Again, calling did absolutely no good because the lady didn’t know anything.

5. Amy Spence
      FreeTaxUSA
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), 1099, W2

@Mr. NoBars: If your refund is more than 1400 you will get difference on May 5. Depending on your deposit method, it could be sooner.

6. Lil Shawn

@dave: My cousin’s say “take action. Your tax return has been received and it is being reviewed”. It has 151 (appeal rights, etc.). There’s a phone number at the bottom with an extension to call with questions. However, when we called the number, the lady couldn’t tell us what was going on. She told us he has to wait until May 10 to get a letter. Ironically, my other cousin got the same thing and it was his eitc, child tax credit.

7. madasf

filed TR JAN 27 Accepted feb 16. Went to errors department and told me to wait ten weeks. It was out of the errors department 4/20/21 the told to wait 21 days. Of course i called back today as I have every week And they said it was fine. But when I spoke with someone on the phone Today they told me they need to verify (we did over the phone) and It could take up to 9 more weeks. this is nuts. I just want hope that it will come quicker

8. dave

@Deano: what was the issue with 1099

9. BSCK

I see that I am receiving a letter from the IRS today. In the address it says Aur corr 5-e08-113. Could this be related to me filing my taxes, including my unemployment income, before the stimulus act was passed excluding unemployment?

10. Still processing

Filled 2/23 accepted 2/24. Bar disappeared first week in march and still as of today processing

11. Ts

I just called to do payment trace and was told they aren’t sure what happened but they are issuing out another check now and could take another 4-6 weeks smh

12. Deano

I’m Amazed I’m still processing
    Filed 2/10/21 Irs received my fax
    4 weeks ago regarding my 1099
    With holding for unemployment
    Federal taxes the wonderful waiting
    Continues This has been a bullshit
    Tax season for sure!!!!!

13. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
      Online
    • As of:
    • W2

2/12 filer here and still waiting…heading in to week 12 on (5/5).
    I called the IRS this morning for my weekly phone call and I clearly got someone who is just answering calls and has no idea about what is really going on behind the scenes. She did not know what the “errors dept” was and when I asked her if I was weekly or daily (as I have changed every other year on my returns between daily and weekly). I had to explain to her what they were and realized that she was going to be absolutely no help. She just kept repeating the same script information that I am sure they are told to say.
    Wish me luck, as I am calling again now and hopefully will get someone helpful.

14. Jerryashley

Alishaj, no they never told me why, they said they did not know, go figure, the irs does not know why they put us in errors? SMFH, yah no update since February 13 other then told I was out of errors and to wait the original 21 days.

15. kirstin

@Mr. NoBars: No I don’t think it’s bad if your refund is more than your offset from what I have researched it should not slow down getting our refund

16. AlishaJ

@Jerryashley: do you know why you were in errors?

17. AlishaJ

@dave: no I haven’t checked my transcripts, but tried to call a few times and it hey said they weren’t taking calls, the other time got hung up on so just decided to wait it out

18. Jerryashley

Aliciaj “ I’m a 2/12/21 excepted 2/13/21, was told out of errors last week and to give it 21 days, but wmr and Irs2go have never changed from tax topics TT152, and amount showing. At this point me and my family are fkd, literally. I tried not to count on the stimulus and taxes, but when everyone else is getting paid, I want ours as well, and for Eaton here to get what they deserve. THIS IS BS, we have to go, through this and watch everyone else get their money. Idk wtf to do at this point, but wait till Illinois takes everything from us I guess

19. dave

@Mswatkins: congrats!
    They are probably working on February now and March is probably next… I’m 2/17 and slowly seeing some updates so I would assume March filers they’ll get too soon. Just a guess

20. Mswatkins

Good morning I filed 2/12 accepted a couple hours later lost my bars the next weeks woke up Saturday with a DDD of May 5th and my stimulus check will be mail out May 7th to the address they have on file

Boyfriend filed 3/16 accepted in minutes lost all bars and as of today his refund is still processing with no stimulus check

21. dave

@AlishaJ: filed 2/17 and no letters or DDD… hang in there… have u called or checked transcripts?

22. AlishaJ

Anyone who filed Feb 12 and accepted the 13th got a DDD?
    No letters? No updates? Wondering what the heck is going on????

23. jasmiineraquel

Filed Feb 2.
    Accepted Feb 12
    WMR stated “still processing” until Apr. 24th
    -because they supposedly sent me a letter stating I had to verify my identity but I never received that, so I had to wait over 21 days to call and ask wtf.-
    Apr. 24th DDD no later than May 3rd
    May 1st WMR says my refund was offset 😕
    May 3rd GMP says they’re mailing me my EIP on May 7th despite them having my current Chime info from this years file. Has anyone else experienced this stupid choice of their’s by picking the slowest way possible to get us the stimmy? I am currently emailing chime cs rn but they aren’t giving me a straight answer.. I’m calling the IRS later on today to see what I can do as well.

24. NotTHATPatient

Update on TWO tax returns filed and accepted on 02/15/2021!! Hello everyone: I’m just updating you on my two childrens’ returns that were accepted on Feb 15, 2021. First kid:
    filed with Turbotax, has 3 children and herself, not married. Self-employed and had to go on unemployment in April. EIC, ACTC, Lookback, Unemployment. Got first bar on Feb 15, 2021, got Gray message “Your return is being processed….” on March 5th. Had Netspend. Contacted IRS advocate after 8 weeks; no help. Virtual robots. Went through a LOT of verification questions: filing status; how did you file?; what program did you use?; what was your total refund; where did you work at in 2020 AND 2019 and how much did you make; what position did you have?; ssn; dob; etc, etc. Only to be told: You have to wait 10 weeks OR you’ll get a letter. Also told that she had a 900 error (basically a “nothing is wrong but we’re holding it anyway). Received refund on Apr 30th (middle of her FULL 10th week; Monday, May 3rd would have been the end of the 10 weeks). And after waitiing all that time, guess what? Her refund was changed by an extra $10.00!!!!!! The IRS is full of you know what. Now….my son. Same scenario but he only had one child, EIC, ACTC, unemployment (yes, it’s sad when two of your children are unemployed. I have four). He’s also self-employed. When he tried to call the IRS advocate and the IRS, he NEVER got through!!! Ridiculous. Again, he got his on April 30th, he also has Netspend and filed with Turbotax. And guess what? His refund was changed with an increase of SIX WHOLE DOLLARS!!! SIX!!! Absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say, they won’t depending on getting their refund on time next year and I guess they’ll get a letter explaining the little extra $10 and $6 right before NEXT tax season starts!! Good luck to all of yall out there. I haven’t even filed mine yet. I’m just gonna wait until May 10th. Maybe then, I’ll get a refund by CHRISTMAS!!! PS – I’m not even about to say “it’s coming” because that is so whack. Yall need it RIGHT NOW, not in some fantasy world of “tomorrow.”

25. Mr. NoBars

@kirstin: no my wmr says take action 151 and I called offset hotline and it says it is taking 1400 out of my refund set for May 5. No date on wmr though. This is probably a bad sign huh?

26. kirstin

@Mr. NoBars: does it show on WMR 05/05? Mine just shows if it’s not direct deposited by 5/10 the to come back for an update but my transcripts have 05/05 on it

27. dave

@Lil Shawn: what does your cousins transcripts say

28. dave

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed.

No amount on the side…. no tax topic…. and transcripts have no review codes

29. dave

@Lil Shawn: mine doesn’t say take action… it just says We have received your return and it is being reviewed…. not sure what that means…. no other info is there

30. Lil Shawn

@dave: Yes, my cousin’s did that. I posted it last week. He had “still being processed” until last Friday. Woke up to “take action. Your returned has been received and is being reviewed”. It has the number at the bottom to call and mention code 1242. When we called, the lady would not tell us what information he needed to submit and he would have to wait until May 10 to receive a letter. He filed on February 18, 2021.

31. Mr. NoBars

If I have a offset for child support of 1400 and my refund is way more and am set to have offset paid may 5th will i recieve the rest of my refund that date too? Anybody know?

32. dave

@Ree: no update by me but congrats to all those who have an update now!

33. dave

@AlleyCat: congrats! I’m a 2/17er and praying for some good news this week

34. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • As of:
      May-10

@Ree: thanks for the encouragement. I checked my transcripts and still has NA. I have a feeling that my as of date won’t update and will be out of system again.

35. AlleyCat

@Vip96: my hubby had a DDD of 4/28 and his GMP says 5/5. He was accepted on 2/15 also.

36. AlleyCat

@Vip96: my hubby had a DDD of 4/28 and his GMP says 5/5.

37. Ree

@Sdiego:
    I know Sheila is the one to ask about everything. She is so great. I just wanted to let you know I have been on a couple of other sites and saw several filers with your as of date that filed close to the same time you did, and they had gotten DDD on their transcript late this evening for 05/06. I thought it was odd to get a date today, but there were quite a few of them. My son filed on 02/18 and is still waiting also. I have been trying to find out any information I can on his filing date, or at least close to it. We can’t view his transcripts. Wishing all the best to everyone still waiting! 😊

38. kirstin

My transcript now has the 846 code and the date of 05/05/2021 next to it. We do have an offset of about 480 which when I can the offset line says it’s was offset. WMR does say refund approved and then the message about the offset it does not say DDD of 05/05 like my transcripts but does say if not direct deposited by 5/10 to check back for updated status. Does that mean my DDD is not 05/05 ?

39. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • As of:
      May-10

@Sheila_33: thanks for the info.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Sdiego: Possibly still a weekly but I’d still check that transcript every day since we’ve seen a few weeklies update as dailies. With that as of date, you’ll either cycle thru this week and post, the date will push out again, or the date will stick and you’ll have to be manually restarted. Hopefully, it’s the first one.

41. Nunu

I had a mail date of March 26 now it’s saying it’s gonna be deposited into my account which the account they have on file isn’t mine! I’ve used the same account everytime wtf

42. Cherrygirl3

@Vip96: I thought I replied got my refund 4/28 after a few days shy of 10 weeks 4/30 received stimulus for me and dependents. Not sure what happened but I never got anything direct deposit when they first went out like 1 and 2 but they all came on that check so who knows.

43. dave

@CH: mine updated from processing to being reviewed… I guess that’s some movement. We’ll see what happens next

44. Vip96
      Turbo Tax
      OH
      Credit karma
      No Access
    • Cycle:
      Daily
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2, Look Back

I know I best like 3 or 4 times but can anybody tell me if they seen any move on their stimulus after their tax return finally was updated after 10 week?
    I really don’t want to wait until next year to get it I know nobody does but I’m hoping that there’s some positive comments

45. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • As of:
      May-10

I wonder what day I might see movement in my transcripts if my as of date is May 10, 2021 ? I been weekly previous years. Thanks for any info you may have.

46. CH

So for the folks already received their refund, how long does the wmr still say “still processing?” It seems at this point it’s pointless to check wmr if it’s still gonna say the same thing regardless if we received it or haven’t yet….

47. GoCowboys

@Sheila_33: okay I’ll keep a eye out for every direction, 10 weeks is this Saturday so I’m praying for some type of change!!! Thanx a mill!!!

48. IL888

I just discovered that I had to report 1099-R for my pensions rollover to 401K even though there is $0.00 tax. Would IRS manually correct the careless $0.00 mistake as they have my 1099-R record or do I need to do an amendment? I fully anticipate a letter from IRS for further instructions but I wanted to see if anybody who had that rare situation happened to them and how the situation was resolved.

49. Bubba

@dave: my wife and I received our refund and got a letter stating that they believe there was a miscalculation on recovery rebate which they subtracted the rebate for our twins that were born. Before all that wmr stated still processing since the first week of March we got our refund April 19

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Mommabearwaitingonbabybear: I do not unfortunately.

51. Mommabearwaitingonbabybear

@shelia_33 do you know anything about payment traces? Like how long they take and how so can payments can be redirected to you?

52. Bubba

@Sheila_33: thanks Sheila

53. dave

@Sheila_33: possible the review is to verify the recovery rebate but who knows

54. dave

@Sheila_33: appreciate all ur responses! Thank u

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Vanna: I would be be happy to help if I can.🙂

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@dave: With the Irs its hard to say, but I can say that I’ve never seen that happen myself.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Bubba: Its an adjustment of the refund, usually in reference to the eitc. I’m trying to research a little more into it since there are a few of you this has affected. I’m not sure how they’re going to make up that payment. I’ve read there’s going to be a portal set up, but again, not sure when. If I can find something this afternoon, I’ll tag you.

58. dave

@Bubba: can I ask,, what does WMR say by you? Processing or reviewing

59. Bubba

@Sheila_33: hey Sheila my wife and I received a cp12 with them taking the recovery rebate away we are trying to fully understand what the cp12 is. We claimed it for twins born last year can you explain a little as to what it is we would appreciate it

60. Vanna

I was just wanting some answers about my tax transcript.

61. dave

@Sheila_33: would gut wud say even tho it says reviewed I’m probably not getting audited?

62. TGIF

@Sheila_33 Thank you for the info. I had been checking transcripts thinking that would at least show if there was a notice or something mailed out. Which they did April 5 – the notice saying I received $600 in the 2nd stimulus. That I already knew lol. I’ve noticed the online account overview on the left hand side shows stimulus years and $ amounts but have yet to see it change from 0.00 for 2021. Like you said maybe as of date movement is at least a good thing. Thank you for replying.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Mommyof3: I hope so, you’ve been waiting awhile.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@TGIF: Its possible it just hasn’t been in the cycle to send out yet. You won’t find anything on transcripts since it’s a 2021 credit and it won’t show up until the tax year 2021 has been placed on the regular transcripts. Tax account may show the 2021 tax year but its only there in case it can be offset which a majority of the time it won’t be. Hopefully, with the as of date changing to 5/10, you’re next in line.