When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

@Help!!!: Doing well, hope you’re doing well also. They are definitely working on something and if the date on the 2017 is pushing out, it looks like they may be resolving the 2017 return so they can finish the 2019. Are you talking about your return transcript as far as your son’s info being missing? On child tax credits, they only allow a credit for 3 of the children but you get the tax deductible for all 4 and yourself.

2. Help!!!

@Sheila_33: Hello 👋🏼 I hope all is well.. I have a question. Long story I don’t know if you remember but I had to file a 8862 do to losing credits because of my 2017 taxes. Well my as of date keeps changing only on my 2017 transcripts it’s at 6/8 and I just check my 2019 transcripts and my youngest son info isn’t on there anymore, but at the top it says EXEMPTIONS: 05
    I have 4 boys plus myself =5
    Could they be working on and that’s why my youngest son info is gone??

3. Janet
      GA
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nika911: same

4. AboutDarnTime

I E-filed my taxes on Feb 2nd..with injured spouse form..accepted on Feb 3rd ..Got my state taxes about 2 weeks later and April 15th I received my stimulus and not a peep about Federal..except they were still processing..I gave up checking on them because it just annoyed me that nothing was moving.. I decided to check this morning and I now have 2 bars with a DDD of May 28th. So fingers crossed but finally there is a glimmer of hope.

5. Haha i

Gnome w m r update. If e still does using refunds? I’m so not distracted or brainwashed. Jus want the funds I worked thru out the year. Smh this is rediculous
    Smh

6. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Green4: I was told my ta and irs to amend my return I did that back in March I still have not gotten my refund but I will try calling Monday

7. Green4

@Stillwaitinginfairburnga: yes 800-829-0582 ext 312 it was a long wait but all together I was only on for an hour which I know is better than usual. Once I got to amended lady it was just a matter of convincing her to convince herself to transfer me to someone in IS. I didn’t get loud I stay calm which is usually hard for me and I just simply didnt accept before I called that I wouldn’t get an answer or result. I was lucky and I do not think it will be this easy for everyone since everyone circumstances differ but I found myself worried over things I heard from people that didn’t work for IRS. If I had listen to what I read on the internet my stuff would still be sitting.

8. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

@Green4: is this the number to call and check on a amended return

9. MZClbrn

@texasmomof3: i sure hope so I’m still getting the eligible message have date when a date becomes available blah blah blah….. But I sure check for a pending deposit as well thanks 😊

10. texasmomof3

@MZClbrn: So sorry to hear that.

These where some of the scenarios folks where reporting.

Those that get SSI where getting DDD and DD into there accounts today if they had cards such as chime and some received the economic impact payment card in the mail today.

Others was folks without SSI received either ddd or dd today.

One young lady reported her GMP still said eligible and date will be provided, however, she checked her bank account when she got off work around 5 or so and she had a pending direct deposit for 5/28. The ddd status was not reflecting on on her GMP yet. Another person like her reported the same. Hopefully miracles come in for y’all
    As well.

11. texasmomof3

@Sheila_33: Have anyone checked their GMP as of late. A bunch of folks just started updating with ddd like 30 mins ago on the forgotten 15thers Facebook page.

12. Molls

Filed my refund 1/29/20..called on 2/13/20 when the bars disappeared off the website and a rep told me I was put under 60 day review on 2/6/20.. so on 4/6/20 when my review should of been expired there was no way to call due to covid 19…. still no update, never received a letter.. where’s my refund tool says “ we have received your refund and it is processing. “
    Also my stimulus check has never updated on the get my payment tool, I’m guessing because my 2019 taxes are still under review. I can’t even roll my eyes enough at this bullshit!

13. Rebecca

Filed 2/07/2020 with is online, for husband’s cs. cycle 0805, as if date changed to 4/27, stuck there few weeks no change, is form shows 03/09 on transcript. Took whole stimulus for husband’s cs, only half of it shows on pa CS website. Never received other half yet. Waited over 1 hour on phone to irs today. They stated the 30 day wait, sent email to person working my case ect.

@Green4: I’m sure she thinks it doesn’t, but in a lot of cases it does and it is stated in the IRS manual. And in your situation, like mine 2 years ago, the system was trying to push that date out and it moved back because what needed to be done, needed to be done manually. The system will cycle out 3 times, and try to fix an issue internally but after it tries and can’t, it stops. And since your date is stuck at April 27, it manually has to be restarted again.

15. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Green4: how did u get through to a rep? it keeps hanging up on me

16. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Green4: ok thanks

17. THEY ALL LIE

@KB: Unbelievable!!!
    Why don’t they tell that-something fishy like that- you and probably me and many others right away, several months ago?

There must be a bigger ‘reason’ for something like that, that a human worker can say they need to see pay stubs, when they got with the filing the W2!

What happened next? – your last post was around 11am

18. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Green4: what number did you call?

19. Green4

At the end of the day the point of my post was to highlight that a lot of people some here to get answer of assume theirs is moving or should be ok I g because of someone else circumstances and that simply isn’t the case.

20. Green4

@Sheila_33: my date didn’t stick it was moving up and then last time moved back. But yea I asked the lady she said it didn’t mean anything.

@Eb_PrettyMocha: Has your tax account updated to the 2020 year yet? It’s possible that date pushing out may be reflecting the stimulus payment.

@Green4: “As of” dates changing reflect something on the transcript moving. Since yours was stuck at 4/27, it was because of no one manually addressing the return, so the date moving out stuck. Congrats on getting some answers.

23. Green4

Attention. My refund has been released since 2/12 filing injured spouse EIC and stuck on 3/9 570 my as of say 4/27 after moving a couple times. I had to call the amended return line inquiring about my last year return which I amended and owed on and make it seem like I thought that to be the reason why my this year hasn’t released. The lady in amended was nice enough to send me to a lady in IS and the lady had to manually release my refund and issue a check which will take A couple weeks. The lady told me the system got a glitch that ain’t releasing shit like mine with the injured spouse. It was glitching before this covid mess even started she said. Someone was assigned my case but supposedly only yesterday! If I didn’t call there no telling what would have happened and I had to do slick stuff to actually get answers. Everyone not back at work so they barely can do anything but manual checks are possible! Amended lady told me she could do anything but IS lady did and finally it’s over! Call, be nice, and demand answers in the sweetest way you can! As of dates changing don’t mean shit. I never received any letters my case just wasn’t being worked even though it was assigned!

24. Eb_PrettyMocha

@Sheila_33: I am hoping so . Still stuck with the 571 code. No stimulus but I read somewhere if your return was sent to the Andover or Austin office they are trying to get out stimulus payment for those that have yet to receive.

25. Tonicmo

@KB: Similar situation here. After waiting since January for refund gave in and contacted congressman. His office needed my w2s as well as my last two paystubs from last year…good luck to you.

26. texasmomof3

@Peezy: They called it an economic impact payment card, they said it came from money network.

27. KB

I’m on hold w/ tax advocate office (48min & counting) Initially it took someone 28min to answer, she took my info, told me that initially it looked like they couldn’t verify our income so they sent out the 60dy review & that basically it’s been “just sitting there since” I told her we had W2’s, she said they would need last check stub instead of a W2….MAKES NO SENSE!! She asked if we were having hardships due to not getting our refund, I was like duhhhhh we’re in a pandemic the world is having a hardship. Anyway, she only took my info, then gave me a 4 digit pen & said I was to give it to the person she would connect me too & they would assign me an advocate whom I’d hear from in 4dys. When she transferred the call that lady told me I was transferred to the line of people already having an advocate assigned & she would transfer me to the correct line….GEESSSSEEEE, seems like nothing but a run around but I’m going to hold on. If this all boils down to pay stubs, why couldn’t they have said that 4months ago…[email protected]#@[email protected]%@^@*!^&()

28. Mary Contrary

@Texasrosie817: Congratulations on being released from prison! What a nutty mixup.

29. texasmomof3

@Peezy: yes. someone reported a couple of days ago that they received the prepaid debit card in the mail

30. THEY ALL LIE

@KB: Yes! Sorry that you have to throught that too.
    same, paying taxes since 18, in low income bracket.
    Esp so unbelievable being mistreated like that during this crisis.
    if they dont see anything wrong, why not release and deal with any errors later? Why just plain holding our money? Thats what it looks like, to pay out srimulus with our refund $$$

31. KB

@THEY ALL LIE: Sooooooo FRUSTRATING!!! I’m 48yrs old & have been working since I was 15yrs old & NEVER in that entire time has this ever happened

@broke in fl: East Coast around 3 to 6:30 Saturday morning.

@Eb_PrettyMocha: I think its definitely a good thing. :)

34. Eb_PrettyMocha

Good morning. Just a small update. Just checked my transcript and my as of date went from May 11 to now June 8. Hope this means something good. Filed 1/13!

35. THEY ALL LIE

And the gov ppl have the audacity to
    take now vacations , putting the HeroesAct in a drawer and having a vacation WTF during pandemic!!!
    No other country on this planet is giving their ppl crap like they love to do here during this global crisis

36. THEY ALL LIE

@THEY ALL LIE: I am ‘dealimg’, trying to find out what is wrong, since March, before the pandemic was declared.
    they take time to schedule ‘a call back’day weeks in advance, when they dont even call-during that time they could just take a look what is wrong with my return ,, same dependents,employer for years!
    They don’t care, they get their salaries , while my kids and I are starving.
    WTF! Selfish bitches !!!

37. THEY ALL LIE

@KB: Same here, just tell what is wrong, so it can be corrected!!!
    Filed/accepted in Jan. Same runaround with TA, they dont even call on the day they tell you ‘in 3 werks’ for status. My TA is now on vacation….but I have to stay with him, wsit until he is well rested back to ‘work’.
    WTF, we have a global pandemic!!!

38. KB

@KB: just wanted to clarify. I called tax advocate office on 5/15, they called back yesterday 5/21. I pray they call back. I’m going to velcro my phone to my hip!!!!

39. KB

60dy review was up on 5/13. I called tax advocate office on 5/15 & left name, S# & phone #, message said someone would call within 24hrs…Ha! Ha! Ha! ell, I went out to my car to get something ,came back inside & low & behold a advocate had called back & I MISSED THE CALL….Uggghhhh. The # on the call id is apparently a “ghost number” because when I tried to call back, it directed me to call the main line, which I did & messages weren’t being taken…We filed Feb 7th, accepted, Feb 8th, 60dy review letter Mar 13th……I just want to know what’s wrong, is there is something to be amended or they need any type of verification…JUST LET US KNOW SOMETHING!! We did receive our Stimuls in a very timely manner but that has come & gone on essential living/bills…WE NEED OUR REFUND!!!

40. Flstalker1185
      Fl
      Turbotax Visa

Wtf… I had the weirdest thing happen just now. I decided to log in and see if anything updated on my transcripts or wage account. My wages are filled in now, but my 2018 account is missing and has a little gray and white star next to it and at the bottom says “indicates the availability of a non filing letter for the year”. My record of account transcript says n/a but everything else is normal. I filed last year and already received my refund so I have no idea why it’s suddenly missing?? Has this ever happened to anyone? Could it be because of stimulus or maybe them working on my audit?

41. lilly3

@THEY ALL LIE: I tried many times and was not successful. Hopefully I get a ddd soon

42. THEY ALL LIE

@lilly3: Great! They mentioned earlier that the IRS has a special phone number only for the stimilus questions. Maybe you can call them and ask if he got the check or not.

43. lilly3

So after waiting and thinking ex had stimulus check, the website let me put in my bank info. Maybe the check got sent back? Now I have to wait for a deposit date❤

44. MZClbrn

@ash: oh i haven’t received anything yet either, no stimulus, no update no nothing and I put my information in on April 15th also, so its not just you dear and I’m in Louisiana!!! Yes this is very frustrating. But luckily unlike most people on here I did receive my refund after I did and amendment way back in March after filing and being accepted in late January early February.

45. NateInPHILLY

Filed February 13th accepted on the 15th got a CP75 review for EITC on the 11th of March Sent all faced documents March 16th and HAVENT been able to call to find out anything and when I check WMR it says I’m under review and to call 30 days after I’ve sent documents

46. Texasrosie817

@texasmomof3: yes I had a direct deposit date forMay 6th and they said they reverse the payment today and has to process through and be reissued again.

47. Daylight

@Tired of waiting: oh my Goodness! I thought maybe. Something could be in the making since i can finally see my wage transcript. Im at 16 weeks of review something needs to happen soon.

48. texasmomof3

@Texasrosie817: Didn’t you say they had already given you a ddd?

If they have already given you a ddd prior, then keep watching your checking account it may just appear in your account without you ever seeing a ddd again. Possibly.

When my brother was given a ddd and his date came and went with no money he called the irs and found out he had to do ID verify. He was upset he asked them why was he given a ddd when he needed to do ID verify

He did ID verify and following week his ddd went away and he got the message being processed and week after that his refund just appeared in his account and wmr was still showing no ddd and the message being processed was still on wmr for several weeks after his received his money.

49. $Harmony404

I posted a article.. the Irs is sending 11,000 people to work . There going back June 1st. I’m praying we all start to see things move mid June.

50. Texasrosie817

@Sheila_33: I hope it soon ! I know it’s been a heck of a tax season for me this year!

51. Janet
      GA
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Eric: i had issues and still having them, but we did get our stimulis.

@Texasrosie817: Hopefully, this coming cycle. If not, it may be next week. Dear lord, you haven’t caught a break this year to save your life. Incarcerated, so ridiculous.

53. Texasrosie817

@HeatherInGA: you don’t press nothing after the recording it should rain if it goes on to the recording where it says press 1 2 or 3 hang up and keep calling and then finally start ringing when the line start opening back up. But the IRS number the 1-800 and the last for 10:40 they are taking calls now also the stimuli line forwarded me to them and a lady looked all in my account and she was able to tell me everything

54. Texasrosie817

okay so I got off the phone with the IRS at the original IRS number that you call the 1040 and they stated that it did show that I’m incarcerated and I’ve been incarcerated since 2017 but she did say she got in touch with the collections department for me and to see what was going on and they stated that they have reversed my refund today so I have to wait for it to process back through and be reissued again anybody have any idea on how long that takes????

@Help!!: I’ve seen some reviews moving and getting refunds, so I’m not sure what the rep said was accurate.

56. Help!!!

@Aly888: I’m in the same boat 🚣‍♀️ one person had post that They called and talk to someone and anyone on holds/ reviews restarted Monday, I hope that’s not true. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I hope we see our refunds soon.

57. HeatherInGA

@Eric: WOW SMH so i guess Im another one of the people with the 2019 issues since i had to file an amendment due to wages….guess i wont be getting my stimulus either for a long time.

58. HeatherInGA

@ash: i surely havent recieved mine and i input my dd info in GMP they day after it opened………..and there is NO LIVE people on that hotline to talk to.

59. Eric
      Virginia

So I finally reached irs rep. My 2019 refund has an error in one of the amount sections so I have to wait for them to make that correction and that dept is closed until June 1st if I’m lucky(doubtful). My stimulus hasn’t even been calculated and they said they found ppl with 2019 issues aren’t getting their stimulus which I suspected all along. I know some have received it but they said it’s all ran off a computer so some may have got lucky and snuck through the cracks. So basically I won’t be getting a stimulus or a refund for possibly months. Horrible news

60. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

@Sheila_33: how can I find out if my amended return is being processed as the original return what transcripts do I check

61. Aly888

My 60 day review just ended a few days ago and no word or contact on my refund. They just placed the hold back on march 16th. There is a change update on my wage transcript for 2019, only change. I want to call but I’m worried and idk what to do. Everything we submitted Is correct.

62. ash

So I need help….. I entered my bank account information on the irs website on April 15th and still have not received a a date with when it will be deposited. Its been over a month with no update to the page. What can I do? This is so frustrating. Everyone else has received theirs but I cant get any answers. -.-

63. Nika911

for tax refunds? Cus that’s all I’m worried bout right now. That’s way more then the stimulus checks they tryin to control us with and that ain’t enough for what I got to pay.

64. Eric
      Virginia

As of the 18th 130 of 140 million people have received their stimulus payments. I’m one of the lucky ones remaining that still hasn’t received that or my refund. The local news in my area said the stimulus payment phone number was opening up to take calls to people who haven’t received their payment but that’s a complete lie. I just called and there’s no option for a tax filer who hasn’t received any money it’s all just automated. I’m starting to get really pissed off!

@texasmomof3: Yes, there’d be no way to efile a photo to the IRS, but, if the pic you took when filing your return, did not import the correct information from the w2 to the return, then there could be an issue.

@Daylight: If you amended before the return finished processing, then most likely it is processing as the original return.

67. Nika911

@Tired of waiting: that’s y I refuse to call. Everybody that call asking about Anything gets a reply of 60 day review on top of the wait then a letter will follow. Shit sad but so true. Got they butts figured out. I ain’t callin. NEEEED TO but I KNOW theres nothing wrg with my return and they just wanantake people wait for they money but wana dish out extra monies. Smh I need 2 bars this sat. 4R. This is rediculous

68. Tired of waiting

@Daylight: I spoke with someone today at the IRS and was advised that there is another 60 day hold on the 1040 refunds. That’s another 9 weeks on top of the 10 weeks I’ve waited so far since IDV. So far it’s been 14 weeks total since I filed. By the end of this 60 days I will have waited 23+ weeks for my refund.

69. Help!!!

@Texasrosie817: LOL right!!! that’s Soooo correct the IRS got some jokes this year.. I’m so glad you came back from the dead.

70. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

How do you no if your transcripts have your amended return on them because mine says original document filed