When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. Texasrosie817

@Help!!!: lol yes I’m alive and well lol!!!
    I’m closer I’ll take any movement at this point. Iv over came an audit . I’ll over come death or incarcerated also lol!!
    THE IRS GOT JOKES THIS YEAR FRFR !!!

2. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yeah not sure the second stimulus will even happen.

3. Help!!!

@Texasrosie817: yayyy!!! You’re alive!!! 😊 you’re almost there… congratulations 🎉

4. Texasrosie817

Also update on my refund if been in contact with the White House, senator office, Austin ta office ect. But ok so as of yesterday some t.a put in a reversal code ( I dont know witch one) .today called offset office they said my refund was reversed back to the irs. IT DOES NOT STATE IM DECEASED OR INCARCERATED ANYMORE! So I guess some movement better than none. My refund was scheduled to be dd may 6 .I’m still waiting

5. Texasrosie817

Fyi I live in texas and if u get food stamps and have children in school they gave a deposit 255 per kid so check you balance

6. texasmomof3

@Sheila_33: I used turbo tax W2 import and it’s not supposed to send a pic of your W2 to the IRS.

The why it works is it’s capture information from your W2 and imports it in the in the necessary fields so you don’t how to enter it in manually. I used it, they charge a fee to use.

Like when you take a pic of your credit card on your phone to capture the info so you don’t how to manually enter it in.

It doesn’t send a pic of your W2 to the IRS. It’s also states that on tt website

Tap Snap a photo of my W-2.
    When fully optimized, TurboTax will automatically snap the picture for you. Note: This picture won’t be saved on your device, nor in your TurboTax account.Jun 3, 2019
    Intuit › ttlc › taxes › discussion

7. Daylight

@Sheila hello I just checked my wage verification transcript and it is now giving me a print out and i noticed it said for the Document Type Amended W2 … Could this mean that they are going process my ammended return as the original? Nothing has changed on my Account transcript still 570 code as of date the same April 27

8. RedDawn

Update- I received my stimulus today. I was one of the 15thers. I’m still waiting for a refund. My congressman’s assistant is helping me try to get my tax refund. I had to Email her my delinquent return that was missing. She’s working with a tax advocate. So now I wait and see. I went under a 60 day review. My refund is sitting there but cause of my delinquent return from 2015 is holding it up. So hope something happens soon.

@Shelbz: Not sure if there will be one if the Senate doesn’t pass it.

@Tonicmo: Thank you for the update. That may be the reason for a some of these holds. Sounds like TT had some major issues this year. Again, thanks for the info.

11. Tonicmo

@Sheila_33: Hey just wanted to give you a little update on my situation since youve been one of the main ones I seek advice from. And maybe this could help someone else if you see a similar situation. I filed late January and have been stuck on still processing since February. Anyways, just got off phone with congressmans office. They said they have recieved numerous complaints from people that used Turbotax this year. Apparently if you take a picture to input your w2 while doing your taxes, turbo tax was replacing the picture with something else entirely or not sending photo at all with your return. Also said once release forms are signed I should have refund within three weeks. Thank you.

12. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: thank you!!

13. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@ $Harmony404: awwww so cool!

14. lilly3

What number are they answering for the stimulus? I can’t get anyone on the phone

@Jameen: Quite a few have had that wage transcript update, so I’m not sure if its a good sign or not, but any movement on transcripts is a positive, so hopefully they’ll be some changes soon. And since the 2019 wage transcript is showing up, then it sounds like they are working on it. As far as your 2018 refund, you could possibly get a check before that transcript updates, if it was manually reissued.

@Esther: Quite a few of you have updated on the wage transcript so I’m hoping its a positive, but the account transcript is the one that releases the refund, so hopefully you all will see a change by this weekend. Wage transcripts usually update later in the year, but I believe someone earlier called and talked to a rep and was told that they update the end of May so I just am not sure if its a good sign or not. Mine has not updated yet, and my return was finished the end of February.

17. JessiMarieEtta

@HeatherInGA: Friday & it was kind of glitchy ! Because earlier that day it gave me a message saying they couldn’t determine blah blah blah. Then I seen someone mention on here that they got a ddd and then I logged back on and boom I had one too.

18. Jameen
      BANK OF AMERICA
    • W2
    • Weekly, Daily

Sheila_33: This jameen i have a question, I check my irs account they updated meaning i now see my 2019 wage and income transcript so is that a good thing? also does that mean that they mailed my 2018 refund???? also does that mean that they are done with my 2018 and now there working on my 2019 return now??

19. Esther

@Sheila_33: Hi !! I have a question i still haven’t recived my 2019 tax still haven’t recived stimulate check but i checked my Transcript and they updated my Wage n as of date May 18 you think i could get my check soon ?

20. Roxie

My sister got her stimulus today. She was one of the ones that put her bank info on the 15th and never updated. The GMP has locked her out for about a week now with no info. This morning she woke up with a deposit (chase). She still hasn’t received her 2019 taxes.

@JessiMarieEtta: Congratulations! Hopefully, they’ll finish up your refund soon.

22. HeatherInGA

@$Harmony404: its sad that this country is behaving like a 3rd world country and that Canada has more sense and order than what we do…

23. $Harmony404

@Sheila_33: it’s crazy I don’t understand.. and my TA called saying the process center is still closed and there’s nothing we can do. Saying my case is a processing matter and they said they suppose to send people to work next month and they’ll process my return then.. I’m like whatever it all sounds like bullshit tbh. So I’m not even finna worry about it. I’m just gone wait until I get a call or until some money hit my card.

24. $Harmony404

@HeatherInGA: Yeap that’s what my TA just told me. There’s nothing we can do until the process center open.. she said they suppose to open up next month if they do then they’ll process the return… I’m over it.

25. JessiMarieEtta

I just wanted to give an update! I was one of many who entered their info in on the 15th. I bank with Wells Fargo and my stimulus was released to me this AM . It did include myself my husband and our two kids. Which means they went off of our 2019 tax return , that we haven’t received yet 🥴 … We filed and was accepted on March 10th .I just wanted to give an update bc I know how it felt waiting for info. I pray the ones waiting getting an update soon!

26. HeatherInGA

@Sheila_33: i might try this. she was very dismissive and was like theres nothing i can do, we just will have to wait 30 more days to see if they open up the processing center. ill call you then….and that was it

@HeatherInGA: If you’re unhappy with your advocate and you don’t feel like she’s doing all she can, you can always request another, or you can always speak to a supervisor. I’ve seen good ones and some bad ones, and I’ve also seen people have to get another one, unfortunately.

@$Harmony404: It is crazy. I’ve seen audits being resolved with the TA quicker than the reviews. Just not quite sure whats going on. I’ve seen a few reviews getting deposit dates, but not the amount that there were last year.

29. HeatherInGA

what the chances do yall think that people will get an update on their stimulus DDD this friday and saturday that are under amendment for wages?

30. $Harmony404

@HeatherInGA: I’m really not sure I’ve seen people on Facebook with that problem and they have a TA and they sent in all of their proof of wages and they got a ddd.

31. $Harmony404

@Sheila_33: me too.. lol but whewww .. I have a 4 year old and now a newborn.. I’m trying to get use to doing it all over again plus with my daughter I already have.. and yes that’s what it seems like… and exactly I just feel like my TA can do more I guess idk I’ve seen way too many people with TA that’s gotten their refund.. but I suppose to be getting a call from mine next Thursday so let’s see what she says..

@$Harmony404: I love the babies, lol. I’ve raised 5 and now raising 5 more. Exhausting but awesome. The Irs isn’t closed, in fact, they’ve opened up a lot more, but its taking a bit to be full functioning with all the safety they need to be using. And a lot of them are still teleworking from home. An advocate can access a case easier since they are working inside the IRS, just a different entity. And they can push those cases being held to the front of the line, instead of them sitting on a stack waiting to be manually processed.

33. HeatherInGA

@$Harmony404: that looks like only the ID verify people. People who sent in refunds with Wage verification amendments like myself those are not processing yet. :|

34. $Harmony404

I don’t understand how they say the Irs processing center is closed but people who are sending information to their TA are getting a ddd. How is the Irs receiving any of their documents if there closed.

@$Harmony404: CONGRATULATIONS to you too!!!

@Mbry0625: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

37. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@WHAT?: I talk to a Irs agent today that told me that who ever went into review before the irs closed that the review start over starting yesterday

38. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

@Jenk1121: what’s the number you call for amended return

39. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: good. Finally had the baby Friday lol! Glad to not be pregnant but four kids is different lol

@Jameen: Sometimes, when a check is being sent, the code won’t show up until the next transcript update.

@Mbry0625: Same as usual, lol. How are you doing?

42. same old same old IRS

@Jdoehfv: because 55 million americans collect social security and they also get a stimulus check

43. N29374ybtiwpw

@Nique34: told people DONT call . I know the wait is treacherous but due to what’s what’s going on it’s just a wait we will have to take. Everytime u call he irs askin ANYTHING they tell u that same spulllll. Review. 60 days ..call back. Blah blah blah. then u get a review letter. I’ve been doing this for 18 years. Now know not to call they asses. Ever. If u ain’t get it. Wait trust it’s hard ima mom of 2 waiting for it as well.damn a stimulus I want my money I earned just like everybody but trust me. Not many people listen to me when I say. Everybody who call and wana know ANYTHING for some reason they got verify something soon via letter then u even madder. Just sayin 2 late cus they already gave u the bullcrap review crap. Never a real reason for they reviews just stall tactics for not paying us. Just like someone stalin the irs does that shihhhh every year

44. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: hey! How’s everything going?

45. Jdoehfv

@same old same old IRS: why would someone ask social security about a stimulus check tho. But yes we all know irs handing them out no quest. I c y they put that on that automated. Smh y would they know about that. they only know about social security

46. Jameen

Got a question is it know that the irs will mail your check but its not updated on your transcript Until the check has been cashed or cleared ???

@Texasrosie817: Two numbers are better than one, lol.

48. same old same old IRS

Ok so social security are answering their phones but all their offices are closed. I had to call ss today not related to anything stimulus at all. At the automated beginning part of it said please don’t call us about stimulus payments. The rep I spoke to was great with my questions and at the end I asked her if they were getting a lot of calls about stimulus and she sais yes tons but they are not allowed to take stimulus call since they are irs and treasury not social security working on that. So there’s that for anyone that wants to know.

@$Harmony404: ID verify: 1-800-830-5084

@$Harmony404: I know its ridiculous. Last year, around this time, the only ones here were those stuck in audits, and most of the reviews had been done and refunds issued. But, regardless, I hope you’re doing well and taking it easy and not stressing yourself out too much.

51. Gabby
      wisconsin

@Neff3: whats the number?

52. Nique34

@Tonicmo: wasted my 2hrs basically and they told me i gotta wait another 60 days review and i filled back in jan. Thats holdimg my STIMULUS check up

53. Nique34

2hours later….on the phone with irs rep no STIMULUS or refund because im under review…and they added 60 more days review…

54. Jenk1121

I spoke with a tax advocate from Massachusetts where I sent my amended return.

She said she doesn’t see my amended return but that doesn’t mean they don’t have it. She said as of May 7th I’m going under review since they haven’t gotten to my amended return. She said I can send another copy just in case…

So irritating… I guess that’s why my as of date changed 🙄

55. Tonicmo

@Nique34: Please let me know if you get through and what advice they gave you. I had to hang up due to lunch being over at work 😒

56. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

Just got off the phone irs super nice guy that he was not hold me up that if your return was in review before the irs close and that your review start all over starting yesterday

57. Nique34

@Tonicmo: yep I’m on hold right now as I’m typing hopefully something comes up and it said 15 to 30 minutes wait that’s fine I’ll wait I’ve been in review my review was up I need my money if you are calling to make a credit card payment

58. Denise1927

So I was just told that everyone wages updates. Late may. So I guess that means nithing😕

59. Johnia

@denise1927: Yes we contacted a tax advocate earlier last week and she said that my wife’s w2 info was not sent to them until late April. She said that everything was released as of last Friday and then Monday morning my as of date moved and all the wage info on the wage transcript was released. I assume it has to go through another cycle this Thursday and the 846 added Friday

60. HeatherInGA

from the IRS site…
    Updated May 19, 2020

The Internal Revenue Service reminds taxpayers and tax professionals to use electronic options to support social distancing and speed the processing of tax returns, refunds and payments.

To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice. All Taxpayer Assistance Centers remain temporarily closed as are many volunteer tax preparation sites until further notice. However, as of May 17, the IRS has delivered Economic Impact Payments to 140 million individuals and millions more are on the way every week.

Although the tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15, 2020, from April 15, the IRS continues to process electronic tax returns, issue direct deposit refunds and accept electronic payments.

*SIGHS*

61. Tonicmo

Just an FYI for anyone still waiting on refund, I wasnt able to reach a person at IRS yesterday when calling the 8008290582 number and using extension 652. A recording came on saying to try again later. Tried a little bit ago and have been on hold for about 25 minutes. So fingers crossed. Filed and accepted late January, 60 day review began March 16th. Only update to WMR has been mid February when it changed from accepted to Still being processed.

62. HeatherInGA

my TA told me that no Amendments are being worked on until the irs employees can go back into the Processing office. that she will update me again in 30 days if they reopen…..OMGGGGGG then she said that there is an Offset with the Dept Human Services (Foodstamp overpayment) which ive been paid that off YEARS ago. No one with that office is calling me back, i left messages with them weeks ago. I have come to the realization that i just wont be getting a refund this year.

@$Harmony404: :(

@lilly3: If it was an offset, the Wmr would reflect it with a 201 or 203 topic code. It’s possible they may be reviewing your wages. Did you file a w2 or a 1099?

@Jenk1121: Honestly, I think any movement is good, on any transcript, but its hard to say. I would check the wages I submitted on the return and the amounts on the transcript and see if they match up. If they do, its possible that things may be finishing up. Just hard to say on those wage transcripts, since mine hasn’t filled in and my return was finished in February.

66. same old same old IRS

So I just read an article on CNN that the treasury has 10 million people left to pay the stimulus payment to and 4 million of those will now be getting their stimulus money on a prepaid Visa card. So I wonder now how many people that are still waiting that put their dd info on the portal April 15th and thought they were getting a dd but nope. Then waiting for maybe a check and now maybe a prepaid debit card. And does that 10 million still left to get a stimulus payment include ALL the people stuck in review, audit etc. What a damn mess

67. Stillwaitinginfairburnga
      Metabank

@Breezybaby336: 1-800 -829-0582 ext 652

68. Jelly402

Just read a few articles on a few websites and now the IRS will issue debit cards to those who have not gotten their stimulus yet.

69. Breezybaby336

I filed my taxes March 16. I owe the state of Virginia 178 dollars. I still have not received my refund. After money is taken out of my refund will it still be direct deposit as that was what I opted for when I filed. Or will it be by paper check?

70. Gabby

They added 3,500 reps to take calls regarding the stimulus payment. They say we can teach them at the number that’s on the letter They sent people who already have their payment. Anyone have the number?

71. lilly3

@Sheila_33: no the topic is gone and so is the amount that was to be refunded. I didnt apply any dependents only myself and listed myself as single.

72. lilly3

@Sheila_33: I did single no dependents. It had the amount that I was getting returned but that disappeared. My ex and I both owe the irs maybe it just means they’re taking it?

73. Pleasehelp

@Jenk1121: I am waiting on my return my as of date is April 27th I don’t know what to think I know I need my money😊

74. Jenk1121

@Please help: mind did the same thing and I have the “as of” date for May 25th, do you? Are u waiting on your refund as well?