When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Me me: This was discussed last year and the year before. Nor true but good try.

2. Moteacher

Anyone have their bars disappear and a message saying your return is still being processed? If so what does it mean?

3. Curious George

Hi my tax time family. Does anybody know if since irs is releasing checks on 15th will ppl w netspend kinda card still get early? Thank you

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Michelle302: i have seen it happen with a few others.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Me: Wonderful news. Congrats! I was hoping I’d check this morning and see a mass of updates. So far not what I expected

6. Joanna
      Tennessee
      Bank of America
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Finally walking the PATH!

7. Michelle302

Good morning, I filed with TT on 1/28. After I filed, I checked and was at one bat. Now for a week it has been saying unable to find my return. I have checked and double checked, triple checked what I put in and it’s all right. I know it was accepted tho and it was at one bar… Is this happening with anybody else?

8. [email protected]
      Chime

I updated to path!!!

9. 845guy

@Me: my friend that i work with got his at 1am its 5am here in ny and still nothing but me and my friend use diffrent banks

10. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@845guy: You should have it around 3 a.m. your time. They do not release early but it is also never late for me.

11. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Sheila_33: My transcripts updated overnight. I am guessing my WMR will update tomorrow with a Monday deposit date (but since it is Monday, will be available Saturday morning).

12. Jonlaco12345

@Nikki: from my understanding, your return would be generally processed if you have the PATH message. However, since they cannot be released until after the 15th, you will have to wait it out and see what happens when that time comes. Although a vast majority update to a deposit date with refund approved after that date, some do update to not so good codes. There is no way of knowing until you see the update. Also, understand that the 15th is on a Friday this year and the freeze code for PATH has to drop off before any further processing takes place. Therefore, although we are all hoping for a DDD sometime during the week of the 21st, it truly may not happen until around the 27th as we ma th miss the master file update on Thursday. Nobody knows for sure. We will have better ideas from those that can access transcripts on Friday the 15th whether they update to an 846 (refund code) or the date gets pushed off another week.

• RN 9001, Weekly

Any updates?

14. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@ZOEMOM89: From your transcripts, available at IRS.gov

15. Drew
      Illinois

What’s in mean when you lose all your bars and just say “Your refund is being processed “ ??? With tax topic 152

16. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@JuicyJ: You are more likely to update Saturday morning with deposit date for Wednesday.

17. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Jazz88: It will update today for some dailies – they will probably have a Saturday deposit date.

18. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

@Me me: When your refund is approved, then sent, the bar graph shading fills in another third and the wording below the graph changes to say approved, then sent (sent will likely be after you get it).

19. Justme23inPA

Hey everyone

Just filed Tuesday 2/4 so I’m not even checking wmr or transcripts. Can’t sleep so I decided to drop in here and see how the tax season is going so far. I see that some people filed early January and is still on one bar no path message. I don’t wanna scare you but last year I filed me and my mothers tax returns the same day. I eventually updated to the path message but my mom didn’t. She stayed at one bar. After the path was lifted I got my ddd and my mom didn’t. She got “take action 1541” I believe it was. She called the irs several times and they told her that her return was being held up and there was nothing she needed to do. No ID verify nothing. Well she ended up getting a ddd but it was in March so she was held up for a few weeks and we still don’t know why. Not saying that’s the situation for everyone but just wanted to let ya know about my experience.

20. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

test

21. Me me

I’m gonna go bed so I won’t responses to my question just a heads up in case anyone has a question about what I typed a bit ago. Have a great night :)

22. Honey

@Rod: I bank with them. I also was told and after 5years it has bn this way. 12-2pm you’ll have it so don’t worry. They don’t give early deposit for refund check

23. Me me

Question/Curiosity: On the irs website where it shows your refund status and has text above the bars that say refund processsed, refund approved, and refund sent do others see info when you click those things making it seem like your refund was approved and sent? I’m just curious if it says the text I’m seeing to everyone because it pretty much states my refund was approved and sent but I know this could just be standard info like text and not mean my refund was actually approved and sent but if others don’t see this I guess maybe my refund might be?? 🤷🏻‍♀️

If what I’m saying/asking doesn’t make sense just ignore this I’m just curious after I just noticed this when checking. Thx for any response about this.

24. MaryB
      SC
      Wells Fargo
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, Daily

All of my transcripts updated overnight.

By cycle date I amticipate an update Thursday morning with a DD of Monday (which likely means money will be in my bank Saturday, not because they usually post early but because the banks do not work Saturday and Sunday evenings, Monday deposits are usually posted Friday night/Saturday morning.

25. Kass

@JuicyJ: where you able to see that on your transcript? I cant get mine online to work because they cant verify my phone # not sure why.

26. Proudmama385
      Regions

@Bellee: sounds about right. They’re probably thinking they’re so hilarious. It’s sad.

27. Call em like ya see em'

@Bellee: well I know I’m me replying to someone else, but yes it seems like there is one person writing multiple messages on different names. Lol

28. Bm

I just tried to check mine (wmr).. it said it was unavailable

Filed 1/27
    Accepted 1/28
    Path – message 2/1
    Ordered transcripts 2/1
    FILED W/EITC

29. Bellee
      Louisiana
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

Is it me, or does it seem like the people or “person” with multiple usernames, might be replying to his/herself? 🤷🏽‍♀️

Just a thought/ a very sleepy one

30. Kass

Taxpayers should file as they normally do, and tax return preparers should also submit returns as they normally do.
    The IRS will begin accepting and processing tax returns once the filing season begins, as we do every year. That will not change.
    The IRS still expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days, though IRS will hold refunds for EITC and ACTC-related tax returns filed early in 2017 until Feb. 15 and then begin issuing them

According to this once you get the path message your return should be proccessed and just being held until the 15th or after. It states they are still proccessing them as normal if you read it you’ll see that they are which clears up some info so no there not holding them all until the 15th before they start proccessing them they just holding our dollars until then

31. Call em like ya see em'

@Estill an ixiot: your telling me . Lol. There isn’t anyone else I’ve known for this amount of time other than fellow igmrefunders. Lol

32. Bellee
      Louisiana
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Lala in Texas: no I never found out yet 😔

Have you gotten yours back?

33. Estill an ixiot

@Call em like ya see em’: im sorry i took it wrong…..i zhouldnt take my tax frustrations out on any of yinz….you are the ppl that get me thru this time of year….every year

34. Kass

Hi everyone just came acrosd some info im going to copy and paste so if you have the path message your return should already be processed and is just being held until on or after 2/15 so for everyone wondering if they were holding them to proccess on or after the 15th this should clear that up.

35. Call em like ya see em'

I do apologise I don’t feel I made myself clear. I was defending us idiots. The person I was replying to is silly to have said anything about us, if they are in here at midnight like the rest of the us.

36. One of the idiots

@Call em like ya see em’: you sure spend lotsa time on here reading what a bunch of idiots have to say

37. Call em like ya see em'

@Y’all bunch of idiots: birds a feather…..well you know the rest 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

38. ManofGod88

@Azmamaof5: go to Google type : check Arizona refund status and you will see the website enter your information and they will tell you if yours will be deposited today . I’m happy loll mine will be deposited today

39. ManofGod88

@Azmamaof5: go to Google type : check Arizona refund status and you will see the website enter your information and they will tell you if yours will be deposited today 2/6/2019. I’m happy loll mine will be deposited today

40. Tarheel21
      NC
      Chime and NetSpend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), 1099, W2

@Rod: someone who works with a clearing house was on here a little while ago saying SBTPG got off to a late start with sending out the batch files for their 2/6 deposits so it may be a little later in the day than usual when it posts to your account but it has in fact been sent

41. AshBash

@Rod: it depends on when your bank post the deposit, I bank with a credit union & I normally receive my deposits anywhere between 12am-6am

42. Bullcitybabe

Hey so I’m in same boat. 9001 code eic w2 Sch C. My code from last year was 20181005….. what does that mean exactly?!!

43. Kass

@Nikki: I believe they may be proccessing them otherwise on the 15th they would have a ton to process and with the possible government shutdown In my opinion I think they would proccess them and then hold them. I filed on 01/17/2019 accepted 01/17/2019 wmr had one bar refund recieved a few days later it went to your refund is being proccessed and tax topic 152 then it went to the Path message.

44. Rod

ANYBODY WITH SERVE HAVE FEES TAKEN OUT BY SBTPG WITH A DDD OF 2/6 RCVD DEPOSIT YET? Any deposit I’ve ever gotten including my paycheck comes early except for this refund. Getting nervous..

45. olivia pope

I am hoping for good news soon… State of Illinois website is updating their systems and they are temporarily down.

46. Laredo44
      TENNESSEE
    • Education Credit (8863), W2

I checked and mine has hit my bank by dad. Good luck everyone

47. MelanieT88
      WA
      WF
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

@Taxmom19: I honestly have no idea. I just know I filed on 1/21, was accepted on 1/22, and haven’t moved from my first bar. I imhave no extra credits and this is the slowest it’a ever moves for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

48. Junebug

@Melanie: I was wondering the same thing… I don’t know and it the irs they can do what they want

49. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@JuicyJ: I’m thinking we won’t update until the following week, but what makes you think the update will happen this week?

50. MelanieT88
      WA
      WF
    • Child Tax Credit, W2

@Junebug: if we were resequenced, will we typically still fall in the 21 day return?

51. Junebug

@Waltdog: ya or would’ve had a letter by now.. I think we did resequence but how many times is another question.. hopefully we update Saturday or Wednesday to something

52. GingerSnap
      Netspend

@Waltdog: I filed and was accepted 1/16. Had 1 bar then switch to 9001/152 on 1/18 and was stuck there until this past Saturday when I finally updated to PATH. Just wait until this Sat. If you still haven’t seen progress by then I would suggest calling. Otherwise it’s really not that uncommon for people in the test batches to be resequenced once or even twice sometimes.

53. Danielle79
      Fl
      Account now
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@Mary Ann: yes,sorry

54. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2

@Waltdog: Just FYI my homegirl has filed/accepted on 1/17 andshe had 9001 up until 2/2, she updated to the PATH.

55. VeeArizona
      Arizona
      Intuit turbo prepaid
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099

Yay my state will be deposited tomorrow

56. Danielle79
      Fl
      Account now
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@hereinnc: who did u file with?

57. Danielle79
      Fl
      Account now
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

@Tigerlili_1: Are you able to check Aox?

58. Nitrobunny
      Credit Union

@Vegas89409: That is just wild. As I said this is the longest it’s ever taken. 😕

59. Raquel Santos

@HRBEMERALDCARD#CHICAGO: congrats did you have any codes before you received your dd like 152 or 9001?

60. Waltdog

@Junebug: same as me,accelpted on the 14th,9001 on the 15th,seems like maby we were recycled back,because if it were I’d verify or something we would of had bars for at least the first update,at least I think that

61. JuicyJ

Hi all new to the site I believe us with cycle 20190505 with date 02/18/2019 will update this Friday into Saturday with dd for 2/14 at least that’s what I’m hoping for lol

62. Bellee
      Louisiana
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Kace1: same with me, it’s exactly what happens

63. Bellee
      Louisiana
      Metabank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@hereinnc: your federal refund?

64. Kace1

@Ryan: in my experience, and I have had fees taken out every year but one of the last 5, no. At least not w Taxact/republic bank w direct deposit to prepaid achieve card (Bancorp). The same day republic bank received deposit from IRS, I got $ on the card only a 2-3 hours later same day.