Join Live Discussion

For all the people impatiently waiting on tax refunds.

A grapevine for taxpayers, by taxpayers.

Ask all of your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

🔥 Updates: Advance Child Tax Credit Tools to Update and Unenroll

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Comment Notes

What Others Are Saying

1. Momof1

Just an update my ctc payment just hit my credit karma card

2. Honeybee82
    • Processing Date:
      Apr-12
    • 5071C LETTER
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

Nothing on Netspend yet…the last two months, I received my Brinks’s “processing” email/text at 11:38 and my deposits hit at 12:31. This time, my processing alert hasn’t showed up yet…so hopefully they’re just a little behind this month

3. Curious

Nothing for chime yet…didnt hit till 10:36 am last month for me in CA

4. hey girl

@Joe M: Whatever email you received I’m inclined to believe it was a scam email. I have never known the IRS to email any taxpayer. The website even states they do not communicate via email, social media, etc. I’d just double check your with your financial institutions and your credit monitoring to ensure you haven’t fallen victim to some kind of breach. Just to be on the safe side.

5. Keish

Any cash app users ctc hit yet?

6. Joe M

My first CTC deposit went to a closed account even though they had my correct account info so it was returned back to the IRS and then the IRS deposited it to the correct account 2 weeks later. Next payment the IRS accidently sent me a check even though they had the correct DD info on me and my wifes account profile on Irs.gov then an email came out they made an error apologizing and supposedly September will be sent DD. Well I looked and my profile shows i requested to have my CTC mailed and all my account info is gone. WTF is going on. I went again and changed it. It says check sent Sept 15th for XX amount. Strange Anyone else seeing this?

7. Jcookroxx

The fb page is reporting ctc deposits for Varo, Netspend and Navy Federal in the last few minutes.

8. Keish

Anyone else same issue.??so my transcripts didn’t update with the 290 but the ctc payment says issued for 9/15. Has anyone else checked transcripts?

9. Michiganangry79

Chime here nothing yet, but it didn’t deposited 2:22pm last month eastern time zone

10. Waiting21

Any early deposits yet?

11. J-R

Single filer, no dependents, very easy taxes overall. I have checked my transcript weekly and have not seen anything come up on it yet… This is getting terribly frustrating. Does anyone have any news on a timeline or way to get a hold of the IRS to at least check to make sure they are working on it? I know that I qualify for the $10,200

12. Not logged in kdinaz

@Delanie: contact your congressman and ask them to advocate for you

13. Hey girl

Anyone with Chime get a deposit as of yet …

14. Delanie

@Deedee74: that is why I want to make the 911 tax payer advocate case, I cannot unfortunately waiting until next tax period to receive these funds as my utilities are in danger of being turned off this week as I have been unable to pay all my bills in full. I have been struggling to find employment I can afford to get to because right now I cannot buy train passes and ride share is even more pricey. I was also forced to take a year out of school as a result of being unable to afford a $150 test required for my program. I cannot keep waiting in the unknown for funds I might never see. I’m barely able to afford the food I eat right now and I can’t keep up with the stress of the whole situation. It has been Months, I filed my initial taxes on Feb 3rd and amended on April 24th when TurboTax updated their system to allow amendments after the unemployment changes. The only thing I changed when I amended was filing single instead of dependent because I made too much in the last year to be claimed dependent. I do not understand the massive delay but it cannot continue

15. Karen

@Nay: I spoke to someone today also at irs. They told me the same thing. I called 6 different times and each agent would not help me. This lady spent a hour over the phone placing me on hold to research my account and told me the same thing if I lived in hawaii guam or other territories could not explain why that was on my account but obviously a internal error said they will remove that from my account and send to the other dept to issue me my stimulus will get in 6 to 8 weeks. I’m hoping this will resolve the issue been waiting since march filed by taxes feb 12 received refund feb 23. No unemployment or amendments . No bank or address changes and receiving my ctc by direct deposit.

16. DuncanA93

@Curious: So that would be 3:00 pm est for me. Hope that is right thanks for the heads up. If anyone gets their Child Tax Credit tonight or tomorrow on any prepaid card(chime, Netspend, etc) please post and let us know. Thanks, guys.

17. 3RDPLACE

@Cass1: Nothing. Got refund in April

18. Curious

@DuncanA93: sorry, no im in CA

19. Deedee74

@Delanie: I filed my amended return on April 23rd and the rep told me the unemployment refund triggered the changes to WMAR status changes. I’m so upset with this years IRS crap because they could have completed everything when they adjusted the unemployment refund, the just complicated everything if you ask me with having different dept’s handling files. So now the system glitches thinking our amended returns are completed because they adjusted the unemployment credit giving us false hope and some of us will not get the CTC credit advance until who knows when, probably have to claim next year on tax return.

20. Tracey A.

Filed HOH, 1 Dependent. No updates, as of changed from 7/26 to 8/23 weeks ago, 290 code $0. It was originally posted that the IRS was sending unemployment tax refunds out “through the end of summer”, which ends September 22. Does anyone know if this changed? I tried calling the IRS, no answer today. I spoke with an agent several weeks ago, who stated they were reviewing file, nothing more (not if I was entitled to a refund, how much or when to expect it). Good luck everyone!

21. Nay

Spoke with IRS today (866-682-7451 ext 569). 1st agent didn’t see anything wrong, transferred me to a different agent, asked this agent about a TERRITORY CODE, agent saw that I have that code on my account, verified if I lived or received payments from the other countries, she stated that she sent a referral to have the code removed, and have my stimulus payment processed, it may take 6-8 weeks, to get the payment.

22. DuncanA93

@Curious: That EST?

23. Curious

@DuncanA93: always by noon

24. Delanie

@Deedee74: good to know I’m not the only one. Thinking of creating a “911” tax case to move things along cuz I filed April 24 and I’m a broke college student and I need it before I end up homeless

25. DuncanA93

@Curious: Thanks for the info about what time have you been getting it on your card the day before?

26. Curious

@DuncanA93: my ctc usually deposits one day early on chime

27. Karen

Hi everyone. I am one of those people who filed my taxes married filed jointly in feb. Received my refund feb23. No unemployment no ssi ssd ssa no amendments. same message since march eligible with no date. Today I called the IRS spoke to 6 different agents until I finally got someone who would help me and look into my account. Was on the phone for over a hour with this lady and she was researching why I didnt receive my stimulus which we should of gotten march 17 she says. Many times on hold she came back to tell me on my account it was noted I lived in hawaii or guam or some other territory and my stimulus was never issued. She said she released that information from my account and was sending it to the dept who issues the stimulus and told me I will receive in 6 weeks direct deposit. She told me people in those territories do not get there stimulus checks from irs they receive from there local government. she didn’t know why that was indicated on my account and said it obviously was a internal mistake Just wanted to give some hope to all of you still waiting for stimulus. Keep calling until you get someone who will look and research your account like this lady did for me. Hopefully we all receive our third stimulus very soon. They owe me $5600 and still waiting after 6 months.

28. Deedee74

@Delanie: Yes, same happen to me with the Sept 10th completion date. I spoke with rep today, she stated mines wasn’t even assign yet to a agent, SMH.

29. DuncanA93

Did anyone get their Child Tax Credit yet on Chime? This would be for September. Thanks for any heads up.

30. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Hey girl: in my acct it was 0.01 depositied in my acct im assuming its my ctc payme for sept and partial for aug or july cus i havent received any. some places will send a mock deposit to verify correct acct im askin if this happent to anybody sorry for typos i type fast and dong a couple things at once my apologies lol

31. Reva B

Long please read might help you might help me – When I googled the codes and got real deep into it where I didn’t even really understand the tax wording additional tax assessed from what I read means they checked my account and I was NOT owed anything( account was looked at ) but I did pay 843 into unemployment I do have children I do get the tax credit and my income tax did come in May I filed in February I did have two stimulus that was missing (4 kids both missing only got $600 for me the last one) what I’m trying to figure out if that 846 code with the 290 with $0.00 and a date has passed does that mean I’m not getting anything? because that’s what the code means! it also means a freeze has been lifted that makes sense for me because I owe child support because my mother Accidentally filed child support when my daughter stayed at her house for six months ( welfare office told her it was a free check!) we had to cancel it but I still had to pay it back 4,060 all my return! so is that what they lifted on 8/21/21 was my offset? other people that have that code did you owe any loans did you owe any child support? I wanted to ask that for a while now also , it’s two weeks past my date with the 290 and the 846 code and still nothing! I ordered a transcript by phone because it would not allow me to order another one online ( too soon ) and there is no update since August 21. The 290 code and the 846 code basically discussed freezers being lifted which could be audits and it also said that that code also can mean no more tax will be given because the account is good and secure it also means that you could be audited ) I don’t wanna get everybody upset or excited because this makes me nervous myself. I did pay into this unemployment I’m just very concerned after I read because I was actually reading a tax employee handbook and what the code meant ). It basically says that it’s for an audit and then I remember it said that that code also stands for when they put it in the computer to label your account it means that they basically tried to charge you but it was denied but at the same time it also means that they attempted to give you a credit and it was reversed. why can one code mean so many things I don’t know but again I was in the employee section !!) so then I came to the realization ok so all of this is new maybe they have to use that code that’s for freeze/audit/credit because there’s not a coronavirus code you get what I’m saying ? Knowing that I paid in from beginning and not knowing how only paid $843 too s frustration itself because I vividly remember only three months in on my unemployment I paid $420 something so that’s weird anyway ! I also paid into state tax 200+ and then I noticed about five months it disappeared completely and it was re-labeled STIM tax after that and then that disappeared no tax at all. But no credit to give it back! ( this was saw on my unemployment weekly forms like a run down at bottom saying where it all goes ).

32. Delanie

My return was marked as completed on Aug 20th but it isn’t completed it is missing several credits and they said it was a system glitch that happened to many others. Has this happened to anyone else?

33. Hey girl

@@tiredofwaitinginva: what exactly are you asking ? Having a hard time understanding the situation my apologies

34. @tiredofwaitinginva

Question Nybody woke up to deposit left of 0.01 to my acct could tht b just heads up they tryin to drop a ctc payment cus I’m needing my last two stim and July n aug be sep ctc payment pry they drop it all could that happen?

FreeTaxUSA
    • Date Filed:
    • Bank:
    • Bars:
      3rd Bar
    • Transcript:
      Online
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@HelpMe: Most of the previous years amended have been coming by check. This year’s amendeds have been direct deposited for most people.

36. MarshaWarfield

@Mary Weese Zuber: In a lot of cases it won’t let you access with one, either.

37. Tee

Has anyone gotten their child tax credit 2 days early with netspend?

38. @tiredofwaitinginva

When will our Gma stimulus payments update? Mine still say eligible blh blh correct account

39. Momof7nepa

Mfj, early in Aug they changed my AGI by the additional amount of 10,200 and posted a 290 with date of Aug 30th and then added another 290 for Sept 13th but I think those are for the child care credit and NOT my unemployment refund. Planning on calling this week!

40. Cass1

@3RDPLACE: Did you get an update on your 3 rd stimulus this morning yet and did you get your refund ? I got mine in April but Friday call still no update on gmp waiting since March for stimulus

41. Mary Weese Zuber

I filed head of household in January and still never received my unemployment tax refund!!!! I can not access the transcript site cause it is asking me for a major credit card (which I do not own) and will not let me access it without one. This is BS waiting. I did get a letter but it only says how much not when it’s going to be mailed out.

42. Danielle79

@Weary Nelly: Thank you so much been stuck at 9/06 for a month now…hopefully it updates soon! Really appreciate your help!! 😊

43. Danielle79

@Just Living: 846 is refund issued…you should get your refund any day,keep checking your account!

44. Danielle79

@Abouttime😉: did your trans update today? Congratulations!!!!!!😊

45. Abouttime😉

I filed back in February on the 12th, got letter in mail talking about I need to fax Market place forms. Fax forms back in March, finally got DDD for 9/15 this Wednesday.

46. Sash sash

I too have been waiting .. I have as of sept 13th 2021 .. I have code 290 with 0$ With date 8-30-21 and code 846 with a date from my actual tax return which was 3/17/21 with the amount of my tax return! I filed in February the beginning 2 dependents self employed with unemployment claims also . No update on anything with the Unemployment refund

47. Just Living

Never mind I found the answer to my question.

48. Just Living

My Code is still 846 dated June 26 2021 and I also received a letter indicating I am due a refund. I know I read in my accounts transcript what code 846 indicates, can someone explain in simple terms what 846 means?

49. Lu

Paid in to unemployment for taxes . transcript has date aug 30 th.has nothing else added .why put out child expenses tax break before Finnishing unemployment tax break ? will there be a final date for the unemployment tax amendments ? Do we look for hints when IRS is done with them ?

50. Weary Nelly

@Danielle79: Sorry to hear that you are still in IRS limbo. Something I seem to have noticed is that the IRS reacts when coming up to 30, 60, 90 and 120 days. Since it has been more than 60 at this point since the last update, I would keep an eye out for an update before 28Sep21, maybe next week or the following one. Also “summer” coming to an end on the 23rd should possibly prompt a review at that time.
    Best of luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

51. Upset in Minnesota

No reason to think we well get anything soon. Waiting on the 846 code. The irs has made it clear updates are not in the publics interest.

52. Sharon O

@TaysoFrustrated: Yes when that happened to me I updated to refund date shortly after. It’s a good sign

53. TaysoFrustrated

Same question from the other day lol. Has anyone else experienced there WMR update from “still processing “ to “being processed.” If so, what does this mean? Because my transcript codes haven’t updated but my “as of” date has gone from Sept. 6 to Sept.27 and I have an advocate but her behind hasn’t returned my call and I had to call to get her number because they said I’d hear from her in 7-10 days but it’s been a month

54. @tiredofwaitinginva

@HelpMe: i received my amended last year direct dep its different for diff folk i assume some get theres direct deposit and some get there amended return through direct deposit

55. Danielle79

@Weary Nelly: Hello,I have almost the same thing except,my date is 06/28 and I still not not updated…

56. 3RDPLACE

Been waiting on 3rd Stimulus since April and as expected no new information, yet was told every month since April to give it 2 weeks, Two weeks from when 2025 ?

57. Nick N.

Just wondering when I’m getting my refund because I’ve been waiting 7 months and still haven’t got it

58. Shereka Renea

Soooo… My 3rd Stimulus Is Pending For Next Wednesday… Thank You Almighty God Now Just Waiting On My CTC Payments

59. meandmydogs

@Sweet Neice: Mine did the same. I am still waiting on my stimulus also. Hoping it means good news soon for both of us

60. Not logged in kdinaz

This is my first month getting the ctc payment. When has anyone gotten theres dd on prepaid cards?? I know my refund i got deposited on a friday even though transcript showed wednesday aa deposit date.

Its walmart money card

61. Not logged in kdinaz

@HelpMe: its by check only for amended returns

62. HelpMe

ARE ALL AMENDED RETURNS BEING REFUNDED BY CHECK OR HAS ANYONE RECEIVED THEIR REFUND BY DD??

63. Janice
      20210805
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Apr-26
    • Stimulus

@Gemineye♢Beauty: I just received mines yesterday but I had to contact my Congressman for help and I saw 846 a week after. I also filed 2/9.

64. Gemineye♢Beauty
    • Cycle:
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Apr-5
    • Processing Date:
    • 4464C LETTER
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

When is my code 570 going to change to 571???!! I filed back in Feb. So sad because its keeping my stimulus and child tax credits from me.