Join Live Discussion

For all the people impatiently waiting on tax refunds.

A grapevine for taxpayers, by taxpayers.

Ask all of your tax refund questions.

The most frequently asked question we have is when will the IRS WMR update and what day are tax refund deposits. Use our calendar to find out what day you can expect to receive your tax refund.

When does IRS accept tax returns in 2021?

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021.

When Can You File Taxes in 2021?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2021.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2021 Refund Cycle Chart
The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2021 tax season (2020 tax year) have been updated with 2021 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2021 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not be right, or have answers to questions. Users become more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.'

Join the conversation

Comment Notes

What Others Are Saying

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Hey: Most likely a check since it’s for a previous year. Checks are usually posted on Fridays so hopefully you’ll see it in a few days.

2. Hey

My as of date is
    June 28

It also says
    RETURN DUE DATE OR RETURN RECEIVED DATE (WHICHEVER
    PROCESSING DATE
    IS LATER) Apr. 15, 2020 Jun. 14, 2021

846 Return issued
    6-11-21

Anyone know when I should receive it? It’s 2019 will it be DD ?

3. Molly43
      Turbo Tax
      VT
      Credit Union
      Online
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Jul-5
    • W2

Happy Friday! Today is officially 4 months since I filed and was accepted. Was hoping for any sort of update today, but nothing has changed. “As of” is still 5/10/21.
    Advocate was assigned and started working on my case this week, so fingers crossed for some sort of update soon.

4. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Going cuckoo: yasss it’s milllions stilll waiting for the 2019 refund as well good luck to everyone who JUST filed it’s been hell for us waiting since Jan and feb

5. Frustratedx20

I filed March 1st and accepted March 2nd. And I’m still in the “your refund is still being processed phase”. Nothing from my income or history has changed since last year. The only thing different on this income tax was I claimed the stimulus rebate since I didn’t not receive the full amount. It has the 14 week mark and I have no idea what is going on

6. Disappointed

@proudma30: Can you check your transcripts? WMR still hasn’t updated for me, just the transcripts with a DDD. I called the IRS 7 times since February and the tax advocate line 5 weeks ago and really complained to the tax advocate line 2 weeks ago. They put in a hardship for me and said to call back in 3 to 4 weeks if I didn’t see a DDD. Then, they would open a case for me if I did not receive. I would recommend calling the IRS tax advocate line. I believe that is the only number that actually helped me. I had to call them at 7am to get through and devote 1.5 hours of my time, but there was finally movement!

7. Disappointed

@Disappointed: *IRS

8. Disappointed

Hello everyone. I just checked my transcripts and finally a DDD of 6-16!!!! There wasn’t anything when I checked at 6:28am this morning. It looks like we will be receiving the 2020 baby stimulus credits and a $59.00 interest from the ITS. They even added a small look back credit that I didn’t know the amount of since I didn’t have my earned income from last year when I filed. Hopefully they don’t deduct anything on 6-16, but for now everything looks great! I had a 570 hold last week when I checked and nothing before that, but no return filed and my updated address on transcripts since we had moved. This site is the only place that kept me sane checking and talking to you guys everyday since 2-26. Good luck everyone and please ask me any questions you have. It’s been a long wait!!! God is good!!

9. proudma30

This is ridiculous accepted February 13th still processing unreal

10. Hey

Refund issue date of today 6-11, not seeing pending or anything yet. Do they do DD all day?

11. MSRazorbackPhD

@Dmw: Don’t give up hope. Transcripts, typically, update most of the day.

12. Hmmmm.....

FINALLY!! Spoke to the advocate last week she must of gotten right on it, because updated for DD 6/16 with interest, only been waiting since February 12th… but my concern now is turbo tax, they took my fees early because I hadn’t gotten my refund yet, So see how that goes.

13. Di from Vermont

Filed 2/23. Got a tax advocate 2 weeks ago. Had to verify wages. Hold code lifted. 846 code just now. 30 bucks interest. Now maybe they will release my stimulus.

14. Dmw

I had high hopes that something would happen today…..Nothing!!! My wage transcripts filled in last week and I am a weekly … nothing changed today still processing still N/A on transcripts been waiting 4 months … no ltr from it’s no advocate… no nothing! I just don’t know what to do anymore

15. Bubba

@Sheila_33: yep we did thanks Sheila

16. Ashb

@Going cuckoo: I filled 2/17! And still waiting also🥺

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Bubba: I’ll look a little later and dig a little deeper. Got an appointment this morning. I’m pretty sure it’s just a cutoff on the transcript, but if you got all the exemptions amounts then all is well. 🙂

18. Bubba

@Sheila_33: we got the total exemptions too we have a family of 8 and that’s what it showed. I appreciate the help Sheila

19. May

@Going cuckoo: yes for some is good means ur taxes aare being fixed or process i filed in january 4th and got accepted on may 25

20. Disappointed

@Gemineye♢Beauty: I would contact a IRS tax advocate to try to release you from processing if you have a hardship.

21. Disappointed

@Bubba: Hello. I still do not have an 846, but my transcripts do show 4 children including the new babies, only under the EIC. does it only list 3 since that is the maximum amount of dependents to list for that credit. I would contact the IRS and see if it’s something they can correct if they do have the babies on your originally filed return or see what the next step is.

22. Disappointed

@Going cuckoo: I’ve been waiting since February 26th. Best thing to do is check your 2020 transcripts on the IRS website for movement.

23. Going cuckoo

@A: oh my gosh I just re-read your comment and I cannot believe that you filed on January 8th and are still waiting that is ridiculous. It almost makes me feel stupid for complaining. I hope you get some new soon

24. Going cuckoo

@Just me again: thank you for taking the time to answer me it truly help to ease my mind. Not that I’ll still get any sleep I can’t quit checking to see if I update thanks again

25. Going cuckoo

@A: thank you so how much for taking the time to answer me. I truly was going cuckoo because even though I knew I didn’t do anything wrong I just kept second-guessing myself and making myself crazy over nothing I’m sure except it taking so darn long! Thanks [email protected] me again:

26. Willyard9000

@Dmw: I finally updated. I was audited but now its closed.

27. Willyard9000

Anyone on here got their rest of their refund on the emerald card after an audit was completed? When I did HR Block this year, I chosen to get my refund in my emerald card after they took their fees.
    My tax return ended up getting audited and only my federal withheld taxes came into the card. When I checked with HR Block the IRS has a different account number but same routing.

28. Dmw

Did anyone update or is it too early yet?

29. Just me again

@Going cuckoo: happens/ed to all of us.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Bubba: Not sure why it’s not showing the two born in 2020, but I just logged on and checked mine (I’m raising my five grandkids) and mine is not showing the youngest one, or in the previous years transcripts. I know the eitc will only have 3, but as far as my basic exemptions, its only showing 4 socials, but I did get the correct exemption deduction amount for all 5.

31. A

@Going cuckoo: Yes a lot of us have had this happen. I believe it’s because the tracker is not updating correctly. This happened to me, and a lot of us, around 2 weeks after I saw the tracker start updating after Feb 12th (I filed my taxes on Jan 8th). This is what everyone means when they say they “lost bars” or say their tracker says “still being processed”. We are all getting the same message. My bars still haven’t returned.

32. Going cuckoo

@Tanistca: hi I wanted to reply to you and actually ask you a question. You are the only other person I saw who has their bars disappear. My bars disappeared on or around June 5th. They were replaced with a message that said your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. I see that you got your bars back but is that the same message you had when your bars were disappeared? I’m starting to freak out and I just want to hear from somebody else that this happened to and nobody has answered me so I guess nobody else had this happen. Thank you so much. I hope you get a refund soon I hope we all get a refund soon this is getting crazy

33. A

Ok so I’ve been one of the ones waiting for my refund since I filed on January 8th and was accepted on Feb 12th… had everything happen to me: lost bars, went to “still being processed”, transcript is completely filled out correctly from what I can see and had a processing date of March 15th at first then it moved to May 15th. Got letters saying they are working on my return after I called twice and got the same run-around bullcrap answers after hour long waits.

NOW my transcript says “no record of return filed” after 5 months. Anybody got any ideas what’s going on? We have been charged by Taxslayer for processing our return because the govt is waiting too long to process people’s refunds and we have our state return back already.

34. Going cuckoo

Hi I’m going to cool this year like the rest of everybody that I’ve spoken to. I’ve been on this line every year now for around five years. This year has mostly just been lurking because I really haven’t had anything to add but now I have a question if somebody could please help me. And if I already posted this question I apologize I can’t see that it has posted from this end. My bars recently disappeared and my message now reads that my tax return is still being processed and a date will be made available has this happened to anybody else and should I be worried? Thank you so much for any help

35. Sdiego
      ca
      bankmobile
      Blank
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Jun-28

@Gemineye♢Beauty: I have been waiting since February for my tax refund which includes the first missing stimulus. at least my wages on my transcripts filled in. but the rest of the transcripts are empty.

36. Bubba

@Sheila_33: hey Sheila I have a quick question I accessed my tax transcripts for a mortgage and was reviewing my family’s and my info and noticed that the transcripts has the last four of my ssn my wife’s and all my kids except the two that were born in august of 2020 we got all the child tax credits and third stimulus for the. Why wouldn’t the transcripts not show their info

37. Bubba

I have a quick question I was able to access my 2020 transcripts and it shows all names and last four of ssns except our twins that were born last year. Does anyone know why it doesn’t show theirs on there any help would be appreciated

38. Gemineye♢Beauty
      Turbo Tax
      Ga
      Turbo Tax Card
      Online
    • Cycle Code:
      20210905
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Apr-5
    • Processing Date:
    • 4464C LETTER
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

OK so I have not been on here for two months because I needed to gain my sanity back after having a 570 code on my transcript since February. But now I just cannot take it anymore because my daughter and my husband received letters about the notice of the payments coming up for the child tax credit. I am definitely feeling some type of way because not only have I not received my income tax, but I still never received the stimulus that everyone got at the end of February beginning of March and now it seems like I will not be getting these payouts either. I know I am not the only one in this boat but I really am just trying to figure out what is going on? I reached out to the tax advocates from TurboTax and they basically told me there was nothing that they could do because the letter that I received in the mail just stated that I was under review, but there was no real circumstances for the review so I had to just wait. Is there anyone else that’s going through this exact same thing or went through the same thing and can give me advice on what it is I could possibly do? At this point any advice helps right now because I’m at the verge of going and laying on someone’s couch and talking about the tragedies of my childhood.

FreeTaxUSA
      3rd Bar
      Online
      Weekly
    • Earned Income Tax Credit
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@Annaka: Try 800-829-0922. Some are reporting they are able to be transferred after not choosing any options. Hopefully, it will get you to an actual agent.

40. Janel120

@Vip96: it’s so crazy that they need to be accounted for these delays. We are one of the most successful countries in the world, and they can’t get these payments out. I find that so hard to believe.

41. Annaka

Hello, does anyone have a good number to reach a live person? The regular number keeps sending me to the automated one. Thanks.

42. Vip96
      Turbo Tax
      OH
      Credit karma
      No Access
      Daily
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2, Look Back

@Janel120: I agree 100%. People are getting paid twice on accident and extra money. I used to be a lucky person. I feel like I got the short end of the stick laterly

43. Benita
      New York
      Chime
      Online
    • Cycle Code:
      20211005
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Apr-12
    • Processing Date:
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:

@NYnic: I feel like the people with dependents should be priority. Even though it does make sense to get the easier returns out first.

44. Janel120

Wth is going on. Why is it so hard to give everyone that’s entitle to this stimulus their money its beyond ridiculous, now its just dumb. They talking about plus up payments when people haven’t received nothing. People still waiting on taxes ridiculous, and its like they dont give zero fucks about it. It’s no excuse for these long ass delays. I’m sorry everyone I’m just fed up something needs to be done asap.

45. Cloudy Blue

Hi ,
    For me and my husband –
    Notice of payment dated 4/23 & 4/29 received on 5/07. GMP says payment sent in mail on 5/26. Received 1444-c on 5/07.
    Still nothing. We both got the first 2 by mail without any problems. Phone call to IRS said to give it more time. This is so frustrating! That’s a lot of money for us, how is it just missing?

46. MSRazorbackPhD

@Phillyhero64: My husband did!

47. SandraA
    • Processing Date:
      Jun-21
    • 1040, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:
      Jun-15

Not sure how the IRS can get away with these long delays… Some of those that filed early are still waiting months while others have been processed.

The WMAR is not working and no info is provided by IRS either.

Bureaucracy at its best. We need our funds and cannot get any timely or coherent answers. It is beyond stressful; it is aggravating. No ETAs and no info just limbo and made up script answers. For customer service they get an F-.

48. Phillyhero64

@MSRazorbackPhD: did you have unemployment

49. Phillyhero64

I hope I see something reference to my unemployment soon.

50. MSRazorbackPhD

@Ashyk91: We did! No delay!

51. @tiredofwaitinginva

• Processing Date:
      Jun-21
    • 1040, W2
    • I Got My Refund!
    • Deposit Date:
      Jun-15

2020 on 18 weeks going on 19 at least updated to Master File (no DDD) yet As Of 6/21.
    2019 1040X sent cert and rec’d 3/29 – nothing yet in Transcript or WMAR – 10 weeks going on 11.
    2020 1040X sent cert and rec’d 4/9 – nothing yet on WMAR (no refund either so definitely no amending) going on 10 wks.

54. Kllycrftirs

@Amy Spence:

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Relief
    If your earned income was higher in 2019 than in 2020, you can use the 2019 amount to figure your EITC for 2020. This temporary relief is provided through the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020.

55. @tiredofwaitinginva

@Tanistca: on wmr?

56. @tiredofwaitinginva

@angiesview101: grand risin me toooo. My mom just called me and said she just saw on the news all the people who haven’t received stimulus payments or partial stimulus for whatever reason they are mailing them out today to start good luck hun we all neeeede it now like it went worth right

57. angiesview101
      Turbo Tax
      California
      Chime
      Online
      Weekly
    • As of:
      Jun-7
    • 4464C LETTER, CP05 NOTICE
    • 1040, Earned Income Tax Credit, 1099

Good Morning Folks,
    Hoping for a DDD update soon

58. Vip96
      Turbo Tax
      OH
      Credit karma
      No Access
      Daily
    • Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2, Look Back

@jdy: so you had to enter your info for the 3rd stimulus?

59. suray771

@Amy Spence: When did you file & get accepted?

60. Ashyk91

Married filing joint with 2 kids. Claimed tax credit and EIC but used last years income for the EIC. Return accepted april 15th. I know there’s huge delays with using last years income for the EIC but has anyone recieved there refund yet that did this also?

61. Bb

Soy wages updated over the weekend. But my as of date on my account transcript is showing 3/15. What does this mean? Will I update soon? I filed back in February. Sent documents in April my 8 weeks was up last week.

62. TGIF

@Sweet Neice: Still waiting with you, not on UE but on 3rd stim. Stuck on 5/10 as of date & received federal 3/23. Only change I’ve seen is the red asterisk on the IRS online account next to the $0.00 line by the 3rd Economic Impact.

63. Tanistca

I got my bars back today!!! They have been missing since the beginning of March only 1 bar but I feel like I am finally moving!!!! Anyone else have this happen? I can’t see transcripts

64. MSRazorbackPhD

@NYnic: Ours changed to 5/31 several weeks ago and stuck. I thought we’d see another date after the 31st.