Why didn’t I get my payment? Where is my stimulus payment?

If you were expecting a stimulus payment and didn’t get it, don’t worry. Here is why.

IRS Get My Payment portal launched on April 15th to check the status.

Stimulus payments started and I didn’t get my deposit or check. How do I Get My Payment

The COVID-19 stimulus payments have started. We have confirmed that people have received direct deposits as early as today. Where is my stimulus? If you didn’t get a direct deposit of the stimulus payment, don’t worry. The Treasury Department partnered with the IRS were scheduled to “start processing” The Care Act stimulus payments on Thursday, April 9th.  But some people won’t see access to the money in their bank account until the week of April 13th. And for others, it could be longer. The key word “processing” is important to understand where your stimulus payment might be.

The process doesn’t start with a magical deposit into your checking account, there are steps behind the scene to make this money start appearing in checking accounts. And, some people will be waiting on paper checks. The Get My Payment portal is expected to launch on April 17th to expedite the process and avoid waiting on paper checks.  It launched early on the 15th here.

I didn’t get my stimulus payment.

You might be seeing people who say they got a direct deposit of the stimulus payment. But this doesn’t mean you will have a direct deposit show up immediately in your bank account. And checks can take longer. It doesn’t happen for everyone right away with a click of the button to a deposit into your checking account or a check in the mail. You might just be next in line.

There is a timeline for “processing”. It is a process that will happen in batches.

DIRECT DEPOSIT

• For people who have direct deposit setup with the IRS, the first step involves clearing the payments. First, banks get a transmission to confirm the money will reach the right accounts. This happens behind the scenes and you don’t see the money in your account. This has started. (If you are neurotic like many of us, we have some secret sauce to see some of this process behind the scenes. Go to the Transcript section below for tricks to see how.)
  • The first direct deposits are expected to actually hit people’s bank beginning Wednesday April 15th, but many people have confirmed direct deposits today.

CHECKS

There are an estimated 100 million Americans who don’t have direct deposit setup with the IRS. The IRS anticipates sending nearly 5 million checks mailed out weekly over a 20 week period. This starts happening the first week of May. Don’t want to wait, the Get My Payment portal is coming on April 17th. You will be able to check the status of stimulus payment and provide your banking info.

GET MY PAYMENT PORTAL

They want to expedite payments. An online application is expected to launch on April 17th called “Get My Payment” to allow people to submit direct deposit information so they don’t have to wait on a paper check.

IRS ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT

If you are hurting for money like many people during this crisis, you are probably anxious for a stimulus payment. They are being processed like tax refunds and many people with IRS online access can see this activity on their IRS Account Transcript. At igotmyrefund.com we will be hunting for these transaction codes:

• 766 Credit to Account
  • 846 Refund Issued

These would be separate and in addition to those that you would see for a refund and would be in the amount of the your stimulus check. Note: we are not guaranteeing this secret sauce, it’s just natural to think that there “has to be some sort of transaction” happen in the system.

NOTE:  We have confirmed there were NOT corresponding transactions on transcripts of people who got the stimulus already.  Weird, but true.  The only change was their “As of” date.  So throw out this theory.

More stimulus payments coming.

There has been some discussion of a second round of payments if Congress takes up another rescue measure. Stay with us at igotmyrefund.com for continuous updates of when you stimulus payments.

Have more questions?

We answer many of the FAQs about getting your stimulus payment here. Check the comments at the bottom of our stimulus check questions and answers page and on our home page for live discussion.

IRS Q&A here

1. md

@Toocool: yes.. that would be the depost info IRS has on you.. Bluebird says most deposits happen between 1:30 – 11pm

2. JS

I READ THAT PEOPLE ON SS AND DISABILITY ARE GUARENTEED TO GET A DIRECT DEPOSIT OF $1200, SS HAS MY DD INFO, I’M NOT SURE WHY I HAVEN’T SEEN ANYTHING YET

3. KFed

@Shaismadverymad: **and anyone else who had their refund deposited into TWO accounts**

I got my direct deposit this morning. The way it works is they direct deposited it into the FIRST account listed on my 2019 return. Not the account I wanted it to go to, but at least I got it. It literally comes down to which account you input first for direct deposit through whatever tax program/software you used. This is only a PSA for those who used direct deposit to 2 bank accounts. Sorry I am of no help to anyone with different cards or other services.

4. Akwildbaby

Anyone have any info on stimulus money as it pertains to Jackson Hewitt serve cards? I have a nervous family member that thinks all jh serve ppl will get screwed

5. flint girl

has anyone recieved or have a pending stimulus through thier emerald card even though they recieved an advance on thier taxes?

6. Pinky71

@peanut: @Savoy: On the Walmart money card/Green Dot cards, I spoke with them and they advised they will be depositing Stimulus payments on them and they’ve been sending emails to check the balance, so where did you get information that Green Dot will not deposit Stimulus?

7. MATLMM

@Missy: no, liberty tax says u must do the my portal option coming the 17th, i asked about liberty tax netspend cards to, they dont get the stimulus payments, so annoying. i would have did my taxes with someone else if i would have known, but there was no way to know this would happen lol, good luck, here is the link to enter card info https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

8. Savoy

Green Dot is screwing everybody like always. You get a check so do the april 17th ap. If not greendot then you should be ok. Never use greendot

9. stacy

So I read that H & R is allowing for the stimulus as long as you didnt get the loan or pay out of the taxes for the taxes to be done. How is that fair? Can we use the H& R as a personal accoutn aside from H & R . It has a routng and account number

@Sisrissa: If he doesn’t file, then he most likely won’t get a payment. If he does, then it would be offset and paid on the arrears.

11. Sisrissa

What if you are owed child support arrears and your ex doesn’t file taxes, even though he should. Will you receive his stimulus check or will he even get one?

12. Matt from KC

@REALZWORDZ: It will deposit to the Green Dot account you used for your tax return. Despite being marketed mostly as prepaid card services, Greed Dot is an actual FDIC insured bank. Green Dot Bank operates under the following registered trade names: GoBank, Green Dot Bank and Bonneville Bank. All of these registered trade names are used by, and refer to, a single FDIC-insured bank, Green Dot Bank. Deposits under any of these trade names are deposits with Green Dot Bank.

13. Paitently waiting

I have did my taxes through he block for years always get the advance and also have had fee taken out of my refund through my emerald so why wouldn’t I get my stimulas on my emerald card

14. REALZWORDZ

I did my federal return with freetaxusa and I was mailed a Green Dot Bank Card (I didn’t want to use my regular bank account). A few days later, my federal return posted to the Green Dot Card. I haven’t spent any of it yet.
    My question is will my $1,200 economic stimulus go on the Green Dot Card (The Account + Routing numbers of my 2019 Federal return are from the Green Dot Bank) or do I need to enter my regular bank account information (TD Bank) into the new portal when it is up and running?
    I do not want to wait for a paper check.
    Thanks

15. Toocool

Will my stimulus check be deposited on my Bluebird American Express Card since i received my 2019 tax refund on it?

16. bettercallpaul

@jeannie: Same thing happened to mine, as of today. The “as of” date changed to 04/27. I got my refund back on February 26, so I know it has to have something to do w/the EIP/Stimulus payment. I imagine that means we will probably see our DD on Monday or Tuesday.

17. Susie Q

If we got our tax refunds on a Emerald Card, will the stimulus come on the Emerald Card?

18. peanut

Ifiled my 2019 texes with a texes office that gave me a walmart money card will my stimulus check come on the same card.

19. A town

I file taxes and got my refund already earlier this year I’m married and still haven’t received my stimulus check on my direct deposit

20. Missy

I filed with liberty tax and received a netspend card from them then I received a permanent card i got a loan and had my fees taken out will my stimulus check go on that netspend card?

@Deb: If you have direct deposit info on your SSI, you will most likely get it direct deposited, without having to file.

22. Mara

My as of date went from 4/20 back to 3/16 I also had a $0 deposit trans on my jhserve card on the 6th others say the had a $0 trans on 9th

@jeannie: The “as of” date means something needs to be done on the return. If you’ve already gotten your refund for the year, then its possible that the “as of” date of 4/27 could mean that you may have your payment coming. We thought perhaps there would be some kind of credit code to release the stimulus but from what I’ve been seeing, that isn’t the case, and its quite possible its because its an advanced credit and won’t show up until the 2020 transcript. When you get a refund date, the “as of” date will push out two cycles to make sure the deposit is made successfully and if not the system will kick out a check. If you go out 2 cycles from April 15th, which I think is the deposit date for these stimulus payments, then you get April 27th.

24. Homiesmom

I put my direct deposit info on turbo tax free file will IRS get my info or do I need to enter it on their site

25. Ret

I went and filled out the non filling page from the irs page and its saying my email is invalid and it’s not so what should I do

26. Rellyohboy
      NC
      Netspend (Bancorp)
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2

@Kimmyanne: it will be deposited into the account that is listed first.

27. qjntjn

My portion of stimulus payments got allocated to child support and I dont owe child support. So how do I get my portion, since I’m the one that made all the money and file form 8379 for the past 8 years.

28. Kimmyanne

What if you had your tax refunds deposited in to multiple accounts? Will your stimulus payment be split?

4/27

30. Keri H

I am married with to kids under 17. We should get 3400. I got an email that only 1700 is pending for the 15th. No child support debt but with DOE debt that they are not taking. I’ve seen many many people also only receiving half and some receiving two deposits (payment split in half). Any idea what is going on?

31. ServeCard

@Bel: waiting for Serve too. However, 2018 was a netspend. Seeing mixed reports about which account.

32. Kitty boo

I tell my self it going to be ok . But is it people are taking avaish of people on rent deposit the don’t won’t to give it back after you loss your job over this virus.i have been abuse in rent deposit I don’t have no money to severely to live if any body no I could talk to get my money back please if me please

33. Sweetpea

Stimulus payment deposited just a bit ago but did not include dependents. 2 are under 17 and we are definitely in the income guidelines. I am not complaining and am so thankful…I was just curious if anyone else experienced this.

@Bren: Yes, it should.

35. Bren

I recieve SSI. My money goes onto a Direct Express debit card. Will my Stimulus payment also go on this card?

36. Ryan R

I went with h&r block this year an they gave me emeral card but last year i got direct deposit in my chase so when they see my 2019 direct deposit an see i have emerald card will they go back another year to see i used my chase account

37. IGMR Admin

Also note… on the confirmed deposit we saw, the only change on transcript was the As Of date. There was no corresponding transaction. Weird, but true. So throw out the transcript theory.

38. IGMR Admin

We have confirmed that *some* people are starting to see direct deposits of their stimulus payment.

Interesting… one confirmation was for someone who had their refund split between 2 accounts, and they still got the stimulus DD (into the account listed first). So it’s a whole new world folks…

39. KFed

I have searched a lot of places and still don’t have any clear guidance.

I already filed 2019 taxes and the IRS does have my direct deposit information – BUT – my DD went into 2 accounts. I can’t wait for a check to come. I’m reading that I should NOT fill out the “Non-filers: Enter Payment Info Here” tool because I already filed and the IRS already has my direct deposit information. Am I able to wait until the Get My Payment tool is up and running to amend/update my DD info? Thank you

40. Brittany lee

So I filed taxes last year and ended up quitting that job after taxes, so this year I didn’t need to file bc I have only been with the hospital since this past December so my question is when I filled out w2 papers for the job I’m at now should the IRS have that direct deposit info asking bc I didn’t file this year and wanting to make sure I dont need to update this direct deposit info for the stimulus check

41. TB

If you are a adult and receive SsA/SsI and someone else outside of your household claims you on income tax will you still get a stimulus check

42. IGMR Admin

The Get My Payment tool will launch on the 17th to check the status of stimulus payment and provide banking information if the payment hasn’t already been scheduled.

@Mbry0625: I’ll have to check and see if its valid.

44. Connie

Will I still get a stimulus check even if I didn’t do my 2018-2019 taxes yet. The irs still had social security number and all my information.

@Gregg: We haven’t heard yet when they will be deposited

46. Gregg

I receive an disability check every first of the month when will I receive my stimulus check? Will it be on wed 15 2020 like some others or will I receive it before?

@Tax payer: No, its an advanced tax credit, it is non taxable, and it does not need to be paid back.

48. Reyri

I sis my taxes through H&R block they gave us a card called Emerald can we expect our deposit there alot of people are curious its the most asked question

49. MT

What happens to the people that are under review and still have not updated or received refund? Will they still get stimulus or have to wait until they are no longer under review?