The 290 code, what it REALLY means

Home Forums General Discussion 2021 Tax Season The 290 code, what it REALLY means

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 years ago by Clueless.
  • Topic Starter
    Clueless

The 290 code means that your return is being reviewed. Plain and simple. It isn’t a formal “audit”, but basically they’re taking a closer look at your whole account and that’s why it says $0.00 The date is supposedly the date they’re to finish reviewing it. They did this to me and adjust my AGI for unemployment but I didn’t receive a refund or 846. So I called. Turns out they reviewed my last 3 years of returns and suddenly decided I OWED THEM MONEY from 2018!!!!! What the fuck?! And they’re charging interest! How are you just now gonna say I owe from 2018, AND charge me interest when I didn’t even know?! They accepted my return and sent my refund in 2018, so why now? Bunch of bull shit. So they sent me a letter and the guy said he couldn’t tell me what it says but I’ll get it by aug 2, and I’m willing to bet they’re withholding my damn unemployment refund to go toward this new “debt”. Straight bull shit.
      So. No. The 290 doesn’t mean you’ll get your refund on the date it shows. It means they’re reviewing your accounts and trying to find a way to fuck you.

• The forum ‘2021 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.