Married and filed single

Home Forums General Discussion 2021 Tax Season Married and filed single

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TaxMan.
  • Topic Starter
    Indigo

i got married during the pandemic and my tax preparer because I have not updated anything and still have my maiden name so he filed me as single. i was filed and accepted on 02/25 should i do anything or wait to see what happens

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        TaxMan

Thicks, you are correct. When I went through tax law, that was not the case. It used to be a requirement to have been married for “half the year,” the same for having a child. I stand corrected.

thicks
            @thicks

I got married in September and filed married, and there were no problems. I question the veracity of having to be married for six months. I believe you can get married on Dec. 1 and file married.

If your child is born on Dec. 31, can’t you claim that child for the year?

Indigo

@taxman thank you because we are not planning to file jointly not in the foreseeable future.

TaxMan

You can only claim married if you were married for more than 6 months. If you were, file an amended return if you want to file as “married filing jointly.” Otherwise, just wait until next year because “married filing separate” and “single” will result in the same outcome.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • The forum ‘2021 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.