Job didn't report

Home Forums General Discussion 2019 Tax Season Job didn't report

• This topic has 23 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Symone.
  • Topic Starter
    Jelly

Has anyone else had a problem with their job not reporting their income?

Filed: 1/18
      Accepted: 1/22
      Path Act: 2/2
      2/16 Updated to “We received your tax return and it is being processed.”
      Unable to access my transcripts

So I just got off the phone with a Tax Advoate, one of my jobs didn’t report my income!!! How does a job not report your income from working for them. I’m totally lost. I can’t even get a Tax Advocate until after Feb. 27th. I’m super stressed!!😥😪

Viewing 22 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Symone

Honesty, no I was being impatient and filed going off my prior years income my job didn’t change or anything. I should’ve just waited. But like I said the lady told me they would fix it themselves. I have the 1542 action code so I’m assuming that’s why. But she was 100% right I did look over my w2. So hey.. I’m just wondering when I will get a date.

Jelly

Symone

How could you put the incorrect amount of you were going based off of your W-2? That’s crazy. Did they say anything about sending verification? If so I would. When they mentioned that my wages weren’t reported, I asked if I needed to send anything. The tax advocate said no.

Symone

So I have a question. I was told I put the wrong amount of income on my return they have something different. I asked the IRS lady what do I have to do, she stated nothing they would fix it and I would receive a letter. Does anybody know this to be true. Or no I need to send in verifications. I’ve just seen so much I’m not sure what to believe.

Jelly

GlitterTush

That is crazy. And now we’re delayed because of all of this mess. I can not wait until it’s over.

Jelly

Thanks Dru. I will definitely look into this. I’m so tired of waiting.

GlitterTush

This may help you understand. It was on ABCNEWS

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT/WXIX) – If you’re waiting for your tax refund, you might have to be a little more patient this year.

A new report from the tax payer advocate service finds there’s a huge backlog at the IRS, which is translating into paperwork delays and taxpayers’ calls for helps going unanswered.

According to that report, only a handful taxpayers’ calls were answered by the IRS during the shutdown and things didn’t get much better once that shutdown ended.

But the report says part of the problem was an existing backlog at the IRS before that shutdown even started.

The report says the IRS was already behind on integrating the new changes to tax laws, which included new withholding schedules forms and more.

When that shutdown finally ended IRS workers returned to more than 5 million pieces of mail that needed to be processed, which included 80,000 unaddressed responses to earned income tax credit audits from last year.

There was also 87,000 amended tax returns from last year that still had to be processed.

The report says the IRS also hadn’t yet filled out all the orders for W2 forms from companies which were supposed to be out by the end of January.

Dru

Mine was held up for this reason. I literally over-reported by what was on one of my W2’s so I was able to figure out that it was my new employers. The reason it’s not showing yet is because they didn’t send in their copies of the w2 to the SSA (Social Security Administration which is what the IRS compares wages with) until the 31st. They unfortunately aren’t set up to send them electronically so they literally were mailed. Due to that and the shutdown, we can only assume they haven’t been entered into the system by the SSA yet, so as far as the IRS and the Government know, I made $1600 less than I reported.

So I called my LOCAL Tax Advocate office (don’t call the national line, they are a joke), and they got back to me within 2 days. They went over everything and agreed with what I had come up with and I faxed them a letter from my employer, as well as my W2. They said it should take about a week or two to process (everyone is backed up due to the shutdown) and my refund should be released then, if not sooner.

All I can say is, GET AN ADVOCATE FROM THE LOCAL OFFICE TO YOU. I’ve used hem two years in a row now and they are the best decision I’ve ever made each time. If you do nothing, so will the IRS. Remember that.

Jelly

Thanks so much Amie. Will do because it really makes no sense at all. I’ve never had to deal with this before, especially when I’ve received both of my W-2s. Which I would think that my income was already reported.

Amie

@jelly

I really don’t like the explanation they are giving you as to why your refund is held up. It just doesn’t make sense. Especially if they are saying it is for 2018 wages….just isn’t correct information. I am an accountant and if I did not report income for my employees, but gave them W2’s, the IRS would come after me and not them. Employers are required to file a form 941 on a quarterly basis and this is how the IRS receives information regarding taxes withheld from employee’s checks. If I as, an employer fail to do this, the employee is still entitled to a refund. Makes no sense to me…If an IRS TA told you this, I would definitely contact a tax attorney.

Jelly

Oh and my other job that I worked is the same one from last year. They’ve already reported my income. It’s only my new job that the IRS claims did not.

Jelly

@Amie

Should I wait the 7 days?

Amie

If this is what you were told, chances are it was for a previous year and you need more than a TA from the IRS, you need a tax attorney or CPA. Employers still have 7 more days to report W-2s and 1099s to the IRS. Even if they did not report your wages for 2018, there is no way at this point in the tax timeline, that yiu would be under review for that. And besides, it all falls on the employer and NOT the employee anyway. And im not being mean…i am an Accountant. My advise is talk to a CPA or tax attorney immediately.

Jelly

@Dsums

If nothing happens by the Feb. 27th which would make 36 days for me which is ridiculous.

Jelly

@WillBeas

Exactly none of it is making sense. I filed as soon as I received my W-2s. I didn’t expect any complications. But look who were dealing with, the IRS. I haven’t received any letters or nothing indicating issues. So you can see why I’m lost. I left the company because they do not care about their employees one bit.

WillBeas
                                      @willbeas

Yea that’s strange if you utilized w2s and not last pay stubs. I’m lost as well. The employers have until the Jan 31st as well. Therefore, they are willing to take the penalty. Maybe you want to switch companies either way. they need to get on the ball

Dsums

@jelly told me the same last year and I eneded up waiting until 3/12

Jelly

@Amie

I got both of my W-2s and that’s why I’m not understanding how my income wasn’t reported.

Jelly

@Dsums

They should have more info soon. Everytime I speak with IRS they say it’s no problems. But the advocate told me different. They really need to switch their systems.

Amie

Did you get a W2 from your employer?

Dsums

Exactly I was spurious last year especially since it was a state program that wasn’t reporting my income but it only took two extra weeks

Jelly

That is insane. This may be a reason why alot of people are still waiting. And there is nothing we can do about it.

Anonymous

@Amie, you know the answer!

Dsums

Happened to me last year with unemployment I ended up getting my return on 3/12

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                  • The forum ‘2019 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.