IS Form/Offset – First Year Confusion – Help

Home Forums General Discussion 2018 Tax Season IS Form/Offset – First Year Confusion – Help

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by matthew.
  • Topic Starter
    Angel
      @awesomelikeangel

I am new to offsets and the IS form which I had to file this year (my first year) when filing jointly with my husband. We did our taxes through H & R Block, which is my first year not doing them through TurboTax… But, I wanted to be sure the IS form was done correctly. My husband owes an substantial amount of back child support in FL and didn’t work in 2017. However, in order to claim EIC and the additional child tax credit I had to file jointly with the IS form. Long story short, we e-filed with H & R Block and mailed the IS form separately afterwards. Our taxes was accepted on 2.6.18, the IS form was processed on 2.12.18, and the taxes was approved on 2.16.18 with a DDD of 2.22.18. On 2.22 I checked WMR and everything changed to “Your refund was applied to a debt” – offset, right? I called IRS and BFS today, which said it would take up to 8wks for the funds to be sent back and applied. My questions are, Does it really take 8wks, or do people typically get them earlier and when? Since all the income was mine last year and I did the necessary form will I be offset for a debt I am not responsible for, or will I receive my refund? Also, I’m seeing a lot of talk about ID verify which I have no idea what that means or when that happens? We recently moved to a new residence… Anyways, can someone please explain this whole process in terms that don’t sound like Greek to me? Thanks so much and sorry for the post being so long… This is all just very confusing!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
      Replies
        matthew

I filed injured spouse 1/29/17 got my ddd today 2/28 so don’t worry your good.

Joshua

You will get your money. It will take time. You will not be held responsible for his child support. That is the whole purpose of the injured spouse form. Unfortunately, it could take eight weeks or longer but it is possible to get your refund at any time.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • The forum ‘2018 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.