Injured spouse after filing

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Tax Season Injured spouse after filing

• Topic Starter
    Brandi

I mailed my injured spouse form 2/24 after they said they were taking my refund this is my first time and I have no clue what to do should I have gotten a letter or something by now about anything is there something I should be doing

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Melissa D
          @melissad

Last year was the first year I had to file IS. I mailed it in 2/25 after we realized that our refund was offset due to hubby’s student loans. And I received a check exactly 8 weeks later. This year I still e-filed the return on 2/3 and mailed the IS form a couple days later. I did call just to make sure that it had been received and it was 2/14. I’m still waiting to hear anything. You can order your account transcripts, I had to have mine mailed, to check the progress. I don’t like to call, they usually are pretty rude with the same answer about having to wait the 8 weeks. It seems like they are processing faster this year than last year for some people. Fingers crossed we get our refunds sooner rather than later!

Brando

This is my third year filing injured spouse. The first year I filed after I did my taxes. I filed my taxes late January and received my refund early may. The last 2 years I exiled my injured spouse with turbo tax and both year got my refund early March. It says e-filing takes longer but in my experience it’s alot faster. It is just a waiting game. If you call all they will tell you is its being processed. Best of luck

JCurry
              @jatyahc

I too had to file form 8379 after I found out that my tax return was offset to pay my husbands student loans. I just mailed my form off yesterday. Please let me know what the process entails thanks much.

Shane

Did same. 2/8 no updates

Tsargeano

I’m still waiting for my DDD, I filed an 8379 form with my taxes through TT on 1/17/17 and got sick of waiting and contacted a Taxpayer Advocate and claimed hardship. He then told me that you cannot efile the 8379 form, which I had to sign it and fax it to him last Friday. Supposively the IRS has a week to accept or reject your case. Well I called my TA Dennis Buffert everyday this week twice a day(and left voicemails every time) to make sure he received the faxes I sent last Friday. He did not call me back at all this past week. So I have no idea if he received the faxes I sent or anything, I’m in the dark with zero info. I DO NOT recommend getting a Taxpayer Advocate. Good Luck to you! I hope you get your refund, without having to deal with the B.S. me and a lot of other good folks on here had to endure this year.

Tsargeano

It’s just a waiting game now.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • The forum ‘2017 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.