Help Please.. Topic 203

Home Forums General Discussion 2019 Tax Season Help Please.. Topic 203

• This topic has 55 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Ted lab.
  • Topic Starter
    Stephie21

My transcript shows 846 code DDD 2/22. WMR shows two bars w/ DDD info but has Tax code 203 “Please read the following information related to your tax refund.. Tax Topic 203”
      I have NO offsets. I did last year but none this year.

Viewing 54 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Ted lab

My irs refund is 2,000 but when I enter it on irs website it says refund approved but the amount is 2,300 but has a topic 203 it makes no sense that it’s increased and appproved for dd so am I getting what it says or nothing

Manny

I got mines approve but the amount is more and then i have tax topic 203 wats that means and its says i get them by june 5 somebody help that knows wats going on

Lf

Same is happening .. did you get your refund

Phil C

From reviewing this thread its safe to assume that even though I got TT 203 and scheduled for DD on 4/10/19 That I won’t be receiving my refund. I even called BSF and they have no offsets. But sounds like they update rather slow. I’ll still hold out hope that I’ll receive some of my refund, but not likely, and I’ll have to wait more time to find out.

Shirley Williams

I had a topic 203 on my refund my loan is 30 years old they took my first refund when I first start working I have not heard from them and ears not less you telling me that my mom was ending for until I say stop it 203 stating that I was offset I am very disappointed because I really need my money I have a son that is going out to school to college and I need to pay his tuition and everything I need my money at least half of my address is 5541 Southwoods my name is Shirley Williams my telephone number is 773-870-2160 thank you but you please help me get my refund back

WhatUpNinja

Anyone else have trouble with TOP line?? Keeps saying technical difficulties

Joy

Anyone of you that I see commenting on or around March 7 or 8th regarding 203 message actually get your refund? Mine is showing dd for tomorrow but also shows message 203… what’s y’alls experiences? Did you get your refund?

Amy BROWN

All of those who say “refund sent” and have no refunds , it’s not coming. The IRS is brutal.

Tiff

I have a Deposit date of 3/6. WMR shows refund sent. Offset line says no offsets found. Full amount is showing on WMR but there is Tax Topic 203. No deposit has gone into my account. I’m on a repayment plan for my loans and they advised there is no offset issues on their end. Anyone have any idea what’s going on or having the same issue? I’ve been trying to reach offset customer service and been waiting for over an hour. Getting so frustrated,

Amber Lynn

2 weeks ago offset said I owed doe… wmr still processing, accepted 2/2. No DDD or codes yet. Hotline says NO OFFSETS today. I immediately consolidated my loans 2 weeks ago… but Im assuming it saying no offset now because they already got my refund and once i get a DDD itll never hit my account and Ill receive a letter stating went to doe.

jason
                              @jasong

So had TT203. WMR updated to three bars, showin full refund sent.

nothing in bank account.

Nothing changed on the StudentAid website.

Called and waited on hold, but was told nothing.

I’m convinced I’m either getting something, or the government stole my money. Either way, time to start pushing more I’d think.

Amy BROWN

@Asia

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, you won’t be receiving anything.

I had a 203 when I pressed option 1 it had no offsets, option 2 had 2 offsets. I ended up getting my full refund mailed to me though I had initially requested a direct deposit.

Asia

I have a topic of 203. I called the offset hotline. States I do not have any offsets as of today. It states my Refund has been sent to my bank for DD on 3/6. Yet, I still have not received a dd. I put my student loans in forbearance 2 months back. Not sure what to think. I am hoping I receive it but I have my doubts. I have until the 11th to know for sure. Fingers crossed!

Sheila Groves

Our taxes say we have a 203 which is an offset I call the number it gives me and I am told that there is no offset that they can see what is happening here

Cherrell
                                      @cheryl

My Wmr updated this morning and they took it all. I had a 203.

Lynne

Darn spellcheck their dd

Lynne

Has anyone received their dad from 2/27 who had a TT203?

Queen

@Ashely I filled through Credit Karma Tax- my second year doing it through them. Still in the same boat as you.

Ashley Smith
                                              @gnash6106

Anybody seeing anything different today???

Ashley Smith
                                                @gnash6106

@queen

@elizabeth

Who did u file ur taxes thru??? I used h&r block and I have the emerald card

Ashley Smith
                                                  @gnash6106

I’m still waiting on an activation code sent by the IRS in the mail to be able to even access my transcripts

Ashley Smith
                                                    @gnash6106

@queen

My wmr just updated to refund sent literally like maybe 10mins ago. And i live in VA and its 2:40am right now. And is still showing full refund and saying it was deposited/sent to my bank…of course 203 is still there. I’m hoping for a miracle really I am. I just feel like if DOE took it or offset for sure …then the amount should say 0$ instead of full refund and shuldnt say sent to bank etc. I’m just at my wit’s end rt now. I just need a straight dang answer already…please

Queen

@Ashley

@Elizabeth

My WMR still shows the full amount of refund and just updated to the 3 bar refund sebtvas of midnight 2/28. But again I’m holding on to a mustard seed of hope. Offset line told me DOE was taking my full dollar amount. I’m seeing movement but my transcript still sitting at 846 Refund no offset codes. Again I have Netspend and most have received deposits they process early. Its midnight mst now I checked transcript and WMR one last time. Still full refund amount TT 203 and 3rd bar refund sent still. Hope it works out for any or all of us.

Ashley Smith
                                                        @gnash6106

@elizabeth

I wish I knew bc I’m in the exact same boat u r

Elizabeth

Idk who else to ask but i have a 203 topic and ddd 2/27/19 and it updated just now i still see full amount still see the 203 and wmr says its been sent but check the card and no refund should i still have high hopes or does the wmr doesnt update when they take your refund

Ashley Smith
                                                            @gnash6106

@queen

And yes I would be so surprised and ecstatic if my refund direct deposited on to my emerald card. I wouldn’t know what to think really. But I’m afraid I’m only giving myself false hope….only to knock myself down again. But I’ll keep everyone posted here…but I’m pretty sure I won’t know exactly the outcome until the weekly update this Friday night / Saturday morning. Good luck queen ….I hope I am proven wrong for the both of us.

Ashley Smith
                                                              @gnash6106

@queen

So on wmr it says refund sent for you. Does your deposit amount say 0.00 or does it show the actual amount your refund should be without any offsets?

Queen

Here’s my update. WMR bar just moved to refund sent. I’m a daily updater with a DDD 2/27. Checked my transcript still no offset codes. But I have a TT203 and according to offset line DOE is taking all of my refund. I’m just holding on to a glimmer of hope that it hits my Netspend by chance. Lol. Wishful thinking. Anyhow I’ll keep you all posted either way. I’m mountain time it’s just 10:28p maybe I’ll wake up to more movement.

Ashley Smith
                                                                  @gnash6106

Well I had tax topic 152 on wmr until this past Saturday the 23rd. Then it had 2 bars and said refund approved and gave me ddd and amount etc. But my topic 152 changed to the topic 203 for the offset. Called the phone line and sure enuf DOE said mite take whole refund of $7033. So needless to say sick feeling and devestated. So anyways thought still might have a slight chance to still get. But here it is 2/28 and everyone else I know w the emerald card and filed their taxes w h&r block that didn’t have the offset tax topic 203 have all already had their refunds ddd on the 27th..some even on the 26th. So needless to say even tho my wmr hasn’t changed yet to reflect all of this …I’m sure it will come Saturday March 2nd since I’m a weekly updater and not a daily one. And it will show that sure enuf the wonderful DOE took every last dime of my tax refund for this year. So Im sorry to all you guys that think their might still b a sliver of hope on getting that refund ….that they might just accidentally overlook the offset and debt u owe and send you every dime you are supposed to get back in that refund…but honestly don’t put yourselves thru all that because it will only end in devestation and heartache. If u owe the DOE and your loans are in default bc of it….and wmr gives u the dreaded tax topic 203 refund offset…prepare yourselves….bc most likely every penny u owe DOE is coming out of your refund to either pay them off or pay towards that balance. So please don’t torture yourselves like I have done these past few sleepless days and nights. Good luck

Stephie21

Just wanted to update from my original post. I thought I didnt have offset, none that I knew of. TT203 ended being copay for a VA visit. When I called Bureau of Fiscal Services they said I owed $33.19 for VA copay that I never paid. Anyway, i got remainder of my refund ontime, however they took $42.57 not 33.19. So i have no idea where the other $9 went. Its not a large amount or some thing to fret about, just updating if u have 203 on wmr, u have offset somewhere, may be something u would never think of like me, I knew no child support, no state tax, no UI…
                                                                    Also, for those who had TT203, knew they had offset, especially DOE, but still got full refund, now is the time to get this in order, IBR or refinance because they may not have taken this year but they may next..

Queen

Same here guys. TT 203 offset line says DOE is taking my full refund amount. WMR still shows DDD 2/27 with full refund not 0.00. My transcripts doesn’t show any offset codes on it as of today still. But I have Netspend and it would have Been in my account by now. So at this point I’m just waiting to see what will happen. It’s like a scratch off and I’m not sure if I won or not yet. Smh. I’ll keep y’all posted If anything changes.

Cyn

@Clarissa92

Did you end up getting your refund?

• #4291073
                                                                        Katey

@Ashley

Had the same thing.. owed back taxes last year.. got the topic 203.. showed my entire refund on where’s my refund but when I finally got the DDD it showed what was left to be deposited after they took their money out.. hope that helps

• #4289335
                                                                          Ash

That hotline is useless. According to them no one owes anything. But here people are with a 203 code. I know I owe 189.00 and it doesn’t come up in their system, but believe me it’s coming from my check. I wouldn’t trust that number

• #4289290
                                                                            Ashley

So i have the code 203 but when i call no offsets can be found. I have a DDD and it shows the full amount that i was supposed to get back… What does this mean?

• #4286151
                                                                              Clarissa92

I am in the same situation, DDD 02/22 but tax topic 203 appears. I callee my loan company and was informed my loans are in default. I was not aware of this because I was told I was approved for the income driven repayment of $0/month back in March 2018. I was told my loans went into default June 2018. Dept of Education states they sent me a notice in August 2018 but I never received it. I set up loan rehabilitation through the collection agency as soon as I found out about the default. I call the offset number it says none found, my balance for my loans is higher than my refund, so If they are taking it shouldn’t the offset number show some type of balance or debt owed? Also wmr still has my full refund amount shown on left side. Anyone have experience or information on this? I am trying to be prepared if they do take my entire refund.

• #4277275
                                                                                Kristinp

I’ve been reading online that the turbo tax fees won’t make the topic 203 only an offset, but others say the fees will trigger the 203 topic. Sooo confusing! Seems like a lot of ppl with a DD of 2/22 have topic 203 though which is odd!

• #4277107
                                                                                  Youdontneedmyname

But you do have an offset 🙄 when you chose to have them take the fees outta your fund, you elected an offset. It’s an easy resolve though, so if everything else is right you will receive your refund when they finish processing.

• #4277101
                                                                                    Harm

Sorry the TOPs automotive line still lists doe as debt not an offset…my transcripts have no offset code. Just 846 date and our entire amount.

Of they offset we’ll file IS because I do not work.

• #4277097
                                                                                      Harm

Same here! Called the dept of education and was redirected to the collection agency because they were not aware of them receiving my taxes…in which was not the agency I was on payment plan with since 2016. So my loan was sold and my payment plan was never transferred. Where have my payments been going? Idk! But the guy I spoke to said they sent me a letter on Jan 30 notifying me of default. And that the offset was not certified therefore I shouldn’t have had an offset on the line. Told him I the automated said I had a debt that may offer my refund. He said it’s 50/50 but they didn’t have word of any approval of the offset. And we set up a new payment plan and he rushed me to send all of my paperwork in and I made my payment.

I could cry…my transcript has code 846 issued date. The line still lists the debt that may be offset no amount. And I was told if we recieved a DDD then the debt should have been paid already. They typically pay off the debt as soon as you recieve a ddd. So I’ll call the line again on Tuesday since it is the weekend and holiday. I hope the best for you all! I pray we all recieve our full amounts!

• #4276999
                                                                                        aod92

@Kristinp I decided to contact Turbotax directly and I copied/pasted the conversation. I have bad anxiety, too.

I need some help … I’ve been filing with turbo tax for over 10 years … I was recently approved and my DDD is pending for the 21st, but it is showing Tax Topic 203. I chose to have my bank fees and Turbotax fees deducted like I’ve always done from my Federal refund. I know for a fact I do not have any offsets. I called the offset number and my SSN has no offsets associated with it either. It is concerning me seeing this 203 tax topic. I found the below link on your Community page and I want to confirm that this can indeed happen when choosing to pay fees this way?

Reply:
                                                                                          A refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or was intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax. When you pay with your refund you are taking money away from yourself thus reducing your refund. TurboTax’s refund processing fee triggers the 203 code because your refund is being reduced to pay off your TurboTax “debt.”
                                                                                          ~Makiyah M🎀

• #4276954
                                                                                          Kristinp

Mine is show topic 203 as well. Freaking out I called the hotline and says 1 debt for the dept of Ed but no amount. Wmr still still shows full amt on the left. Transcripts show no offset code but a DD of 2/22/19. I used turbo tax and had them take my fees out. I called dept of edu and they say no records found for me. I’m soooo confused and upset rn. I have bad anxiety so this isn’t helping me. We don’t get much back and my husband is the only one who works. I’m calling the dept of ed tmrw bc if it is in default I was unaware. No letters from them or any offset team. Literally sick over this. I’ve not slept or ate bc of this. I was on path on wmr til it updated last night to this!

• #4276246
                                                                                            aod92
                                                                                            • #4276222
                                                                                              Stephie21

@aod92 I filed free so no fees should be coming out.

• #4276213
                                                                                                aod92

Stephie21 did you elect to have your fees taken out of your federal refund?

• #4275706
                                                                                                  Memphis

I got the tax code 203 as well … no transcripts but the treasury 800 number states I have no offsets … DDD 2/22. And full refund amount on the left in WMR … so thank u ladies it’s seems that I am in the same position

• #4275012
                                                                                                    WicK3d

@zteph

Same issue I freaked out also

@jessica

Eased my blood pressure

• #4275013
                                                                                                      WicK3d

@zteph

Same issue I freaked out also

@jessica

Eased my blood pressure

• #4275009
                                                                                                        Stephie21

Oh, and WMR shows full amount @jessica143

• #4274994
                                                                                                          Stephie21

Thank u all for quick replies.. I was freaking out because I have no offsets, and I really need the $$ For those who are negative on here(not that it matters) it’s not that I need them $$, although I am a single mom military vet, but my daughter has been excepted into both the USCG Academy and the US Naval Academy, she hasn’t decided where to go yet but I want to give hear an awesome graduation party ( she just turned 17 and about to graduate HS) So my entire refund( not alot) plans to go to her party, just worried me to see topic 203

• #4274916
                                                                                                            Mom of 3

I know a lot of things are said on these forums that is incorrect but I’m trying to ease ur mind mine and hubby has been like that since 2010 the year I filed and took til mid April to get and since then has not once affected us you will be fine trust me

• #4274912
                                                                                                              Mom of 3

Mine has the amount expected If you were affected by 203 it would automatically deduct from ur refund it amount expected on the side would reflect that

• #4274897
                                                                                                                jessica143

Is your refund amount on WMR showing the original refund amount or a decrease? If they offset it it would be reflected there. That’s the refund amount they sent you.

• #4274894
                                                                                                                  Mom of 3

Disregrard that mine said same thing but like you no offsets it will have that topic on there for years mine has said that since 2010 when I filed injured spouse

• #4274890
                                                                                                                    Stephie21

When I pulled my transcript it shows no offsets (where it did last year)

Viewing 54 reply threads
                                                                                                                  • The forum ‘2019 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.