Amended tax Return

Home Forums General Discussion 2016 Tax Season Amended tax Return

• This topic has 48 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jp.
  • Topic Starter
    Mattsmom63

I had to file an amended tax return and I am getting back a little more money than I received originally. Has anyone had to do that? About how long did it take to get your paper check in the mail after you mailed the amended copy? It says it can be up to 16 weeks? Just wondering!

Viewing 47 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        tnmom

Mattsmom63 I would see about getting a tax advocate if you qualify. I do know that some folks are getting them and they shouldn’t, but if you meet the circumstances, which is sounds as though you do, you may want to reach out. If they misplaced the form and now have discovered it I am not sure how you could be placed back in to a 16 week cycle. I hope that what you were told is not true. I have not received any updates since my amendment showed received on the IRS website. I guess no communication is better than none.

That1chick

My amended tax return was received 3/18. Has anyone filed an amended tax return for the purpose of adding a dependent? I included school records to show my child lived with me the entire year. I went through JH and the tax preparer stated he had never prepared an amendment and was not sure what documents I should include.

Jp

Amended my return shows received June 8 ita now Oct 2 have not received a letter. Myine was amended due to off set in w2s from the service and severance pay issues.

Ashley

Hi, My ex husband and I have been separated for almost three years, but we still filed as married because legally we are still married. (divorce is not final yet) We were suppose to get money back but then I got a notification that my ex husband did not pay his student loans and they applied our Federal return to his student loans. I filed an injured spouse form because my money got applied to his student loans in which my name is not on any of his student loans. I was advise to file as an injured spouse.
                So I checked the status on where’s my amended refund, it shows that it has been completed as of 07/22/2016. If a refund is due back, will it automatically be direct deposited to my bank account or does it come by paper check? I’m just curious if I will even get a tax refund back. And honestly just upset that his mistake is costing me. Any input or advise?

Eyeisha

I filed my amended1040 and they received it may 16 and i still havent heard anything back and its now july 19

Destiny Arenas

My husband filed for an amendment and their system showed that it was received April 9th. He has been trying to check it again and it’s saying they have no information. Does anyone know what that means???

Jenn
                      @jennjamm

I have amended my 2014 and 2015 Tex returns this year. Both are for the college tax credit. I had to add in my 1098-T forms. So far they have been received.
                      2015- May 23rd
                      2014- May 31st.

Now to wait. I am owed money and am hoping it doesn’t take the full 12 weeks for processing!

CJS

@mattsmom I was able to speak with someone regarding the letter issue and they
                        said they mailed a letter on April 1st. I still have not received a letter, but the man told me
                        it looked like I sent a form for tax year 2014. I sent the form that Turbo Tax gave me. I have since redone the form and mailed it April 30th so I guess I have to wait 12 more weeks. I don’t understand why it was “adjusted” if they needed more info. Still not showing completed so I guess thats a good indicator that it was something simple they needed?

bb

so i got received on march 18th and havent moved to adjusted but when i called the irs they said they sent out a letter on may 2 but they couldnt see what the letter was about has this happen to anyone and it havent moved to adjusted so what is going on any one know

Mattsmom63

You should have already received a letter from them they are pretty quick about it. I would call back and ask them what kind of info they need and fax it to them. I’m still waiting for an adjustment.

CJS

@ mattsmom So they sent a letter requesting more information?
                              I got an update saying mine had been adjusted, but when I called to see if a check
                              had been mailed they said it had not been sent because they need more info. It’s been
                              2 weeks and I still have not gotten a letter to see what they need.

Mattsmom63

Well still haven’t received an update yet. :( I’m beginning to think it’s going to be the full 12 weeks. I hope not

CJS

My amended return was received on 2/8/16. It was adjusted 4/15/16. Has anyone
                                  else been adjusted on this date and received a check?

tnmom

I received my check yesterday. Until next year…….over and out!

Mamamia

Got my check today!! Until next year people…Good luck all!!

tnmom

@Cam my situation was similar as my amendment was for a school credit. I have my taxes filed through HR Block and ours was a simple mistake that I caught myself. Both of my children who are in college were not checked off to be counted toward college tax credit. Instead they were on my taxes as if they were not eligible to be counted toward the Opportunity Credit. SOOOOOO, amendment filing we went.

Cam

I sent my amended info tax years 2014 and 2015. last year someone laimed my child and H&R Block failed to give me the correct info on how to fix this. i have no idea who claimed my baby but H&R did the amendment for me. I dont know what to expect. Then this year I didn’t claim my school credit so i sent that in as well. Has anyone had these scenarios happen to them?

tnmom

Mamamia I have seen that as well. Good Luck!!!!

Mamamia

@tnmom yesss!! I heard some have received their check 3 days after…fingers crossed!

tnmom

Mamamia I ADJUSTED as well today. So exciting……also states that I will get a letter within 3 weeks explaining the adjustment. Hopefully sooner than later….

Mamamia

Well got ban update!! Adjusted today, anyone know how much longer now??

RPzerep

I filed mine and my fiance and mailed at the same time. 1040X sent 02/22/16 WMAR shows received on 02/26/2016 for both. 03/25/16 adjustment stage for my fiance none adjustment for mine. Check received 03/26/16 for my fiance. In this case, both have been filed and received by IRS with the same date. No clue of whatsoever how IRS process amended return.

tnmom

I am still waiting on amended return to be complete for 2015 tax year. Maybe the system will do a major update tomorrow.

Mamamia

Has anyone else received an amended return for 2015?!!?

tnmom

It doesn’t seem right that you would have to go back through the process due to their mistake. I would possibly contact a Tax Advocate to see if they could help. I do know that there are guidelines on obtaining one, but you never know.

Mattsmom63

So when I checked the status of my amended return this morning it gave me a number to call. When I called it this morning I found out that they have received the form which was left out of the first amended return I sent in. Now she says since it has been received on MARCH 22 I have a new wait of 16 weeks to receive my check. Ughhh so the first time i sent it in means squat now. Looks like a long wait!

txfiler

I filed my amended return and it was received in the last week of February. All of a sudden I am seeing a no record error when I try to use the IRS tracker.

Does anyone know why it would disappear? Before it was asking to pick the tax year but now it goes straight to the no record message.

tnmom

Cam, mine did not show up until 3 weeks and 5 days after they received it. I think that most of us are in for a long process if you filed a 1040x.

Cam

Hello, I sent my amended return on March 14th. It’s one for this year and one for last year. Anyone know how soon I can check to see if its been received?

Christa

Im in the same boat Tnom.. My received date is Feb. 24… I was hoping to see movement today.. but I guess niot

tnmom

I have seen so many different scenarios that I really don’t think there is any pattern to anything the IRS does. Some people are receiving their amendment refunds within less than 6 weeks and some still don’t have theirs. Maybe it is just the luck of the draw. I am hoping that I do not have to wait the FULL 16 weeks as the IRS is now stating that the amendments could take due to the overload. I called yesterday, after breaking down, and was told that nothing is showing in my account and that it could take up to 16 weeks for processing. I know my amendment has been accepted, because that much shows on the IRS website. It is a simple adjustment that should not take that long and that is obvious. I guess they are simply doing their job, but I am really frustrated since I should have never been filing the amended return period!

Mattsmom63

Well I sent in the info they requested.They should have gotten it this past Monday. Hope it isn’t another 30 days of wait time!!!

• #4149689
                                                                        Txtoo

Adjusted March 18th, had a recent move and Mail forwarded. Hoping to get it next week! Txmom, did you get a letter previous to check?

• #4149682
                                                                          tnmom

Thank you txmomoftwogirls that gives me hope. With mine showing received a week after yours, I am hoping we see something next week. HR Block made a simple mistake but it was a big money mistake. I would love to get my refund due to me next week. I will be crossing my fingers.

• #4149670
                                                                            Txmomoftwogirls

My 2015 amended return finally showed adjusted on March 18. I also received my check yesterday as well. So hang in there guys it’s coming.

• #4149585
                                                                              Taxmann
                                                                                @appstaxmann

The Taxmann are Secure and Trusted android app for Tax. Here you should see the details , If any transactions are fail due to any reason . Refund 100 %.

• #4149567
                                                                                Txmomoftwogitls

Well then you are one step ahead of me for the 2015 amended return, mine still just says received. :(

• #4149566
                                                                                  Mattsmom63

Well I just got an update stating they want more info and will be sending a letter out. Ginny.

• #4149426
                                                                                    Tnmom

Just received an update today that stated my amended return has been received as of February 22nd. Hopefully things will start to move. I am owed a refund, so maybe the process will not take so long.

• #4149390
                                                                                      Txmomoftwogitls

Same here! No movement yet! I’m hoping they aren’t waiting until after tax season to process the amended returns.

• #4149329
                                                                                        Mattsmom63

Well nothing yet! No letter just says received on Feb 22nd. Hopefully soon I will hear something!

• #4145422
                                                                                          Mattsmom63

Thank you! I sure will!

• #4145390
                                                                                            Txmomoftwogitls

Mine is still showing the same thing. Just received 2/16. But my 2014 one still doesn’t show completed either and I have already received my check weeks ago. Good luck and keep me posted on how yours goes and I will do the same.

• #4145346
                                                                                              Mattsmom63

Mine finally showed up on wmar. It was received on the 22nd. Hopefully things will go faster now? Well hopefully..lol

• #4144006
                                                                                                Txmomoftwogitls

My 2015 amended return actually just showed up today and says they received it on 2/16. So hopefully not a long wait.

• #4144001
                                                                                                  Mattsmom63

Still hasn’t been received yet. Guess it will be a long wait!

• #4143725
                                                                                                    Txmomoftwogitls

I sent in a amended return for 2014 on January 27,2016. It was accepted and showed up on the wmar. It was “corrected” on February 12. I received a letter on February 13. I received the check on February 18. So it went pretty fast. Now, I sent in an amendment for 2015 on February 12 and I have not seen anything on wmar.

• #4143635
                                                                                                      tnmom

I am hoping that you get answers here, because I had to do the same. I found an error that my tax preparer had made and I am due more money to be refunded. I do know that when I found credit, back in 2009, when my husband and I purchased a new home it took 12 weeks to process. They also send a paper check, so that takes an additional amount of time. Maybe since we are amending early it wont take as long.

Viewing 47 reply threads
                                                                                                    • The forum ‘2016 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.