Tax Topic 151

Home Forums General Discussion 2016 Tax Season Tax Topic 151

• This topic has 119 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IWasVeryAnnoyed.
  • Topic Starter
    Misty
      @mightypisc3s

Ok so I received tax topic 151 but when I check the offset number… nothing! What does this mean? I claimed my grandchildren this year due to having custody of them, so could that be the reason?

Viewing 118 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        irsDK

UPDATE:

I sent in all my documents on 2/15. My letter was also dated 2/15. I received just the money I paid in, with no credits included. I figured I’d give them 30 days and then call. I called at 8am today and spoke with someone within 2 mins. (Called the number on the letter). She told me my case was assigned to someone, but it’s first come first serve and they’re processing November/December right now.

Crazy, if you can’t afford to staff to process audits in a timely manner then stop auditing for simple returns. They aren’t even saving money with the fraud they do catch, barely breaking even.

shannonInSC

So I called 2 weeks ago or last monday, I can’t remember and the rep said they received my documents on the 17th of Feb. She said that my case hadn’t even been touched at that moment. She also said that they have 60 days to review it. 30 days for me to send info and 30 to review. So basically i said you guys can bs around til 04/15/2016. She said they work everything in date order so everything before mine has to get worked. SMH

ShannonInSC

So I called them about 2 weeks ago maybe…The lady told me that they received my documents that were requested on 02/17/2016 but my case had not been touched yet. She said it takes 60 days. The cp75 letter stated 30 days, but anyway, she said 30 days for me to provide info and 30 for them to review it. So I was like, basically you are saying that you have until 04/15/2016. She then said that they work everything in date order and everything that came before mine will be worked first. SMH, then I got a letter on last friday or saturday stating that they are reviewing my case, and if they can’t complete it by 05/02/2016 then they will reach out to me for more info. SMH, I’m glad I have a job.

IWasVeryAnnoyed

I was accepted Jan 30th, I believe, and a few weeks later a received a letter stating I was under review. I claimed my niece and nephew. I have claimed them for the past 6 yrs or so. The one thing that changed is that I claimed my income as self employment instead of the w2 that I had done for the past 12 years so I expected to get flagged. So in that letter I had to prove self employment income, dependents, and Eic. I had until the 15th of March to submit everything. I faxed over 100 pages proving everything they needed me too. 2 weeks later I received a letter stating my income was not valid so in turn I didn’t qualify for any of the credits. The letter stated I could fight it in court but I wasn’t getting that much of a refund to take the time to fight it. Fast forward to This past Friday, I got a packet from the IRS. It said I indeed proved income and dependency of my niece and nephew. I don’t know what the heck was up with the first letter I received. So if anyone is waiting for a response, it might be coming soon!

edkic

I filled on Jan 29th. Sent in the papers and now is 5-9 and still nothing. Just got a letter from the IRS stating the tax is being reviewed until 5-29. What a bunch of bs

Jami

Has anyone received their refund yet that has had this tax topic and reference codes? I filed in January and sent everything in paperwork wise and received a letter saying they got the paperwork on March 4, 2016. Still nothing else since. Never got a partial payment or anything. Filed the same exact way last year. Nothing changed except my job. Same children and everything????

Evie King

The US government are a bunch of evil white Devils who enjoy giving some people a hard time. That’s why they’re being targeted by foreign terrorists. Everything the white man has he stole, he even stole me!

Mark Holbrook
                        @markhol83

So I did my taxes on 3/25/16 I got a message saying the irs excepted it the 28th the 30th I got the 151 saying a letter is being sent the irs needs more information then today 4/6/16 a partial payment of 1000 was deposited in my account im supposed to be getting 9500 I claimed an extra child this year that I didn’t last year another thing I didn’t do is show proof of insurance oops sucks I have the proof but just messed up im still waiting for the letter has anyone gotten their letters if so how long did it take

ShannonInSC

I called to check the status yesterday and the examiner said that they are behind. She said that they were just working early December cases yesterday and everything is in date order. She said it could be 4 months from the day i sent stuff in which was feb 17

Edkic

So Ben when did you get the refund last year?

Ben

Thank god I’m not the only person with the problems

mine was accepted in mid of January and wait and wait for 3 weeks like last year, hoping that the money will be deposited to my bank account… after 3 weeks it showed on IRS website (track my refund) that they needed more information.

**Thinking maybe because this year I have claimed my first house bought beginning of last year**

so I waited to see whether there are letters coming to my house and yes. Topic 151 with a number and a ref# 1242 to call IRS if I have further questions…

The letter states that they DO NOT need any information from me at the moment, but it is being reviewed.

So here it is March 15, 2016

Still haven’t heard anything from it

Ben

shannonInSC

I’ve been trying to update but the site wouldn’t let me for some reason

shannonInSC

I’ve been trying to update but the site wouldn’t let me for some reason

Misty
                                    @mightypisc3s

Well I sent all the info they requested and still nothing.. when I call the number I’m placed on hold and after 30 mins I get inpatient because the time prior I was waiting for an hour. This is ridiculous! I talked to a CPA and they said that with a simple return she doesn’t understand why the audit… well those were my exact words! Hopefully I will hear something soon

TESLA

I got my letter CP75 from the IRS on 2/10/2016 that states this is an audit and a list of things you can provide- it’s a generic letter for the following: HOH EIC CHILD DEPENDENT CREDIT AND AOA, after filling on 1/19/2016 and being accepted the same day. With that said, I sent everything possible to prove HOH and EIC on 2/12/2016 and have yet to hear anything back. My tax topic did change from 151 ref: 1121 to 151 ref:1242 … however, whenever I call the number provided on WMR with the reference number to the extension provided, ( I call 3 times a day, every single day at different times, usually twice in the morning and once in the afternoon) I get the same recording ” CALL VOLUME TOO HIGH, CALL AGAIN AT ANOTHER TIME BETWEEN 7am and 7pm”, this has been on-going for 11 business days now.

Edkic

ShannonInSC? any updates?

Tay

I received a tax topic 151 I have claimed my nephew for 4 years and this is the first time I have claimed my niece she stayed with me while her mother was going thru some issues I have paperwork from Medicaid and the SS department with my address on it but not school records because we did not want her to change schools will there be a problem with the paperwork for him and her or just her being that this is the 1st time I have claimed her

ShannonInSC

I sent everything they asked for in last Wednesday. I can only imagine how long its gonna take

Waitingforaletter

Has anyone heard anything else? My fiancé and I are waiting on his letter. Praying all goes well.

Anonymous

Here’s the recap filed 1/15 using TT
                                                Accepted 1/19
                                                Return transcript 2/5
                                                Lost bar got generic msg with TT 152 2/6
                                                Called IRS 2/9 advised resequenced everything find wait a week
                                                Called 2/17 advised being audited will be receiving a letter CP75D….

I have probably the simplest return ever 1 job 1 dependent my legal child that I gave birth to my income is wayyyy below the EIC threshold I really don’t understand the point of this. Even if someone else was able to claim my child I made so little money last year that my refund amount would remain exactly the same this is completely stupid and a waist of time!

Stacia

So I filed on 1/20/2016 I received 151 a few days later. I got my letter a few days after that .I then faxed info the needed though I was not cleat on exactly what all was needed. What do I do now because there is no change and I still have not received anything

shannonInSC

Update** Hey guys, so I will be faxing all the info today for EIC I’m sending them a ltter from my church and employer, I hope it helps.

Edkic

I also got the packet today from the IRS. I claimed two of my nephews and need to prove that they lived with me. I did stay with my sister for the past 6 months after her husband had a heart surgery. Took care of the kids and drive them to school. Anyone know what proof I can send?

Terra. M

I was told that my return was under review and that it could take up to 60 days to get my refund processed to get my money.. I font understand .. I have also heard several different story’s .. One rep told me I would definitely not be receiving my refund by the 21st day mark which is the 18th.. Smh one lady said its because of all the scams going on .. And I just happened to fall in the cue to be reviewed .. But my question is does it really take 60 days.. And the part that’s worse is she said 60 days from the 9th when I filed on the 28th

ShannonInSC

@IrsDK This is just crazy. I don’t know what letters will suffice because my sister lives here also. She doesn’t work at all and haven’t all year. I don’t let my nieces go without because their mom is having a hard time. I even claim all of them for financial aid. I wonder if I could get a statement saying that I take care of all of them.

IrsDK

Yep got my packet also. Have to prove school credit, hoh, eitc, pretty much everything. What a joke. Anyone know how long this process takes? Audit the hard working Americans while big businesses steal billions every year.

ShannonInSC

Update*** I received my so called letter in the mail which is in fact a packet. In big letters it states that my 2015 tax return is being audited. I claim the same children every year and I’ve been in school for the past few years as well. I basically have to send in my birth certificate, my two nieces birth certificate and my sister’s to prove we’re related. Also have to send in the girls medical records with my address, and name on them. All of this is not an issue but gosh, I’ve been claiming them since they were born. I also have to send in my 1098-T form to prove I’m in school which is crazy because I receive financial aid. I will be faxing this on Monday. SMH I wonder how long it will take

ShannonInSC

Still haven’t received a letter. This is crazy!

Kay

I have reference number 1242

ShannonInSC

@irsDK i definitely agree with you. i received no letter. i was told 2 different things by an irs rep. Its very frustrating….I called again this morning and the rep said letter cp75 was sent out last friday. she said its a general letter basically stating that my return will be reviewed by the examination department and if any info is needed they will let me know. I’m confused. She also said that its a random review because they are being extra careful this year.

IrsDK

I’m with the group that received tax topic 151 and now the reference #1121, but everytime I call in I get a different story. Originally was told I was receiving a partial refund on 2/3. One story was that it was “rejected” and sent back while some other agents tell me it was actually pulled and placed on hold with the rest of my refund. Yesterday I was told there was a letter sent out last week and today I was told that there was no letter sent. I honestly think calling them is a waste of time because everyday it’s a different story. If you’re going to request more information just let us know so we can send in what you need. I don’t know what needs to be verified. It’s getting to be frustrating, we just deserve the truth and we aren’t getting it.

Misty
                                                                        @mightypisc3s

When I got my transcripts, my account transcript said something about February 15th but everything looks fine. When I called they just told me that its under review. I claimed my grandchildren but didn’t last year but did for 2012/2013 tax years. So I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it! I would hope that if they were smart enough they would look at prior tax returns to see that I have claimed them before, but who knows! I did get reference number of 1242! So if anyone has similar situation or know how to read transcripts please let me know

• #4136999
                                                                        Anonymous

Mine still only says Topic 151. Hope the letter at least comes today

• #4136443
                                                                          Kay

How long did it take to get your refund also how long did it take them to send your letter

• #4136409
                                                                            bass Fisher

Ï just received half of my refund. Ï didn’t have any other codes besides 151. And yes u will receive a letter in the mail telling u what they won’t u to prove. They can not legally hold your refund and not tell u why.

• #4136361
                                                                              Kay

Filed and affected on 1/19and for about a week and a half it’s saying tax topic 151also have not got any notice or reference number and this is also the 22nd day I filed the same way in 2015 anyone got any ideas what could be happening I’m lost

• #4136060
                                                                                ShannonInSC

@Waiting they didn’t say. The only thing the girl said was i may or may not receive a letter, someone was reviewing it and just keep watching the refund tool for a date. She said the 1121 just meant that i may or may not receive the refund in 21 days

• #4136014
                                                                                  Anonymous

@shannon did they say you would receive any of your return?

• #4135949
                                                                                    ShannonInSC

So the 1121 is bad? I’m so confused hearing different things.

• #4135881
                                                                                      Anonymous

So if im understanding…having no 1121 ref code means you still have a chance of getting some money. My transcripts say my letter wont even come until 2/15 and they also have a 4/15 date. Wtf?

• #4135679
                                                                                        Jenna

He had just 151 where would the reference number be. So he should recieve something tomm???

• #4135434
                                                                                          bassfisher

No just 151

• #4135377
                                                                                            Mitchell

Bass fisher

Did you have a reference code on WMR?? Or just tax topic 151?

I have claimed the same way for 4 years now same dependents. Just different job.

I dont understand. Its very stressfull.

• #4135206
                                                                                              bass Fisher

Just got off phone with the irs. They said you should receive some of it. The part you won’t get is the eic part which you will have to prove you earned it when the letter gets there. They told me mine will be put in my account tomorrow and I’ll get the eic portion when I send in the paper work.

• #4135116
                                                                                                Jenna

My fiance recieved a 151 on saturday and still there. No reference codes juat said we would be contacted in 30 days. We ordered account and tax transcripts just want to know if he will recieve something until we recieve this letter? We claimed nephews this year

• #4134374
                                                                                                  Jenn

Still nothing new :( ref 1121 after a 151.

• #4133536
                                                                                                    shannonInSC

Son on 1/30/2016 i received topic 151 then on 2/6/2016 it chaged with reference number 1121. I called the IRS this morning and basically they told me to wait for a letter and that the reference number was just saying that i wouldn’t get my refund within the 21 days. She also said that the letter may require me to send some info but she didn’t have details. I file the same way every year, nothing changed what so ever.

• #4133496
                                                                                                      Anonymous

Anyone have any update? I filled1\22 got 151on 1\30. I’ve received 0.00 as of yet. Still waiting on letter. Wtf?

• #4132619
                                                                                                        Mitchell

Would tax topic 151 be directly related to an offset?

Ive claimed the same dependents for 3 yearsnow…

• #4132128
                                                                                                          riisey

I found this, it is for us code 151 people. I sure hope it helps. I owe 200.00 they had just sent me a letter prior to me filing. We shall see.

http://thecollegeinvestor.com/17495/common-irs-wheres-my-refund-questions-and-errors/

• #4131974
                                                                                                            Jenn

OK update …my 151 is gone. I received my trans. With no codes …everything seemed fine now I have a note saying I was delayed and that I could call with ref 1121. So confused

• #4131716
                                                                                                              riisey

Yes, you claimed your grandchildren for the first time. This is why you received tax topic 151.

• #4130861
                                                                                                                Shawn

Thanks that takes a lot off. So when the last told you that did she say how long it would take?

• #4130851
                                                                                                                  Justme

@kia

Did they give u some of it though. And do you file head of household every year. Sometimes people just tell you random things cause the lady I spoke with was very nice and said if u don’t see a letter you should be fine and that its just a review and not a audit but if u did everything the same every year you should be fine

• #4130801
                                                                                                                    Jenn

That shows how shitty they are! Quick to take but want to make others play the waiting game! The 15th????? Wow. Anyways I’m glad you where able to get a start. And this is somewhat helpful. Just ridiculous. I guess we won’t even see part. ( what we put in) and that’s bs. But glad I already sent of for school record and med. Jezz. Thannks! I was able to order my return trans last week..haven’t got them yet..

• #4130732
                                                                                                                      Kia

I filed on 23rd of Jan. Accepted same day. Ordered both transcripts on 29th. On the 30th I saw tax topic 151 on WMR. called IRS that following Monday and agent said he couldn’t tell me anything other than I was under review and to wait for letter. I received my transcripts in mail today and seen all my codes at the bottom of account transcript and my refund being frozen and letter wasn’t scheduled to be sent out until Feb. 15th. That’s the reason why I hadn’t received letter yet. So I called the IRS number on transcript and they transferred me to the examinations dept. Spoke to a woman who said I wasn’t supposed to be able to see those codes on my transcripts and it was only for their view but since I seen it she could give me the address to the dept doing my audit as well as fax number to either mail or fax verification for EIC and child tax credit. Also have to send in verification for proof of head of household.

• #4130481
                                                                                                                        Shawn

Ok I filed my taxes on the 18th got accepted on the 19th got tax topic 151 on the 30th. I don’t understand I filed the same way for three years straight. Checked the offset hotline and I don’t owe anything so confused

• #4130386
                                                                                                                          Jenn

Another day no letter…1/19 accepted …and nothing but this code..about to just give up…ugghh

• #4129985
                                                                                                                            Esha

Did anyone recieve there money this year with tax topic 151 and reference code 1242 called irs not telling me nothing .

• #4129953
                                                                                                                              Jason

@Lacey
                                                                                                                                I filed on the 11th got accepted on the 12th. Ordered transcripts the 29th, got 151 on the 30th.

• #4129946
                                                                                                                                Jason

@just me
                                                                                                                                  I’m not so concerned with the 151, as I filed the same last year and did nothing wrong, it sucks that I gotta wait for the rest of it. My concern right now is the $1,267 of the 7500 the 2 IRS agents told me has already been released to me via DD. They say it was sent to me on the 3rd, but I’ve seen nothing. TT does not see anything on thier end and so far nothing at sbbt. Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep waiting.

• #4129549
                                                                                                                                  Justme

@jason

I filed on the 19 request both transcripts on the 29 the 30 seen 151 called Monday and was told its a review not a audit and I should be fine on the 3rd I got 1000 of the 78 so she said they may mail a letter but if its fine the will release the funds after the review if they see everything is okay. She informed me if I filed the same every year I should be fine so now its just the waiting game.

• #4129518
                                                                                                                                    Lacey

@Jason Did they tell you were going to receive a letter in the mail? How long did it take for you to receive the tax topic 151 after you filed.

• #4129458
                                                                                                                                      Jason

@justme
                                                                                                                                        What date were you told or given for a DDD of what you have already received? And what day did you actually receive it? I have had 2 different IRS agents tell me that the portion I’ll be receiving has been disbursed. TT knows nothing and SBBT still shows it hasn’t been received. Just hoping here :)

• #4129423
                                                                                                                                        Amistylynn

Same thing my husband received the take action in wmr and he and his ex have gone back and forth on claiming their daughter well she’s lived with us for a year and a half now so we file separately and he claims her and I claim our daughter every year.. He has one job one w-2 he was incarcerated last year so didn’t file but here we are and this year it was accepted and was being processed and one night the message and 151 code came up still haven’t heard shit regarding his taxes ?

• #4129424
                                                                                                                                          Amistylynn

Same thing my husband received the take action in wmr and he and his ex have gone back and forth on claiming their daughter well she’s lived with us for a year and a half now so we file separately and he claims her and I claim our daughter every year.. He has one job one w-2 he was incarcerated last year so didn’t file but here we are and this year it was accepted and was being processed and one night the message and 151 code came up still haven’t heard shit regarding his taxes ?

• #4129217
                                                                                                                                            Justme

Yes I received some of it while its still processing

• #4129204
                                                                                                                                              Jenn

Nothing -_- not even the letter…

• #4129116
                                                                                                                                                Jason

Still no money yet. Anyone in here with 151 receive anything yet?

• #4128207
                                                                                                                                                  Jason

UPDATE!! Still no money in my bank account :(

• #4127809
                                                                                                                                                    Jenn

OK I filed and was excepted 1/19 on tt. Had one bar up until sat. Got code 151. No letter. No funds. No ddd. Nothing as of yet . will keep posted!

• #4127706
                                                                                                                                                      Myheadhurt

Hello everyone update it 2/3 I still haven’t receive anything in my BA or the tax prepare didn’t say I had a check of any sort I also still haven’t receive my letter and the lady say it was sent out on Friday this is so aggy I wish this letter come already dam

• #4127705
                                                                                                                                                        Jason

UPDATE!!!
                                                                                                                                                          I’ve posted in this forum a few times. I also have 151. Filed 1/11 accepted 1/12 got 151 on 1/29 updated last night/this morning still with 151 but added reference number 1242. It also gave me a number to call and am extension. Talked to an actual person at the IRS today, they said I will receive $1,267 which is basically what I paid in. No dependents or EIC included. They are still reviewing that. She said my DDD is today. Well….it’s now 7:45 EST and I’ve still got nothing at all. Nothing in my bank, no movement with sbbt and I called TT which I filed through and they couldn’t give much info about it either. So im hoping to see that money tonight. I’ll update in the morning. Good luck everyone.

• #4127599
                                                                                                                                                          Sincere

Hello, last year my girlfriend had topic 151. Although she worked, she also own a business. The IRS sent a letter requesting her to provide recipes for her business. Eventually she received her money.

• #4127584
                                                                                                                                                            Shan

Update for me. No letter. And no deposit of any kind! So I’m just waiting on whatever letter they’ll eventually send me. My cousin said it usually takes them two to three weeks to send the letter. Hopefull I will have it by the middle of next week….HOPEFULLY. We are in the heart of tax season so I’m sure all departments will be swamped. I’ve learned a valuable lesson….never use TT and file early again.

Self-employed
                                                                                                                                                              Accepted 1/14
                                                                                                                                                              Tax Topic 151 on 1/30
                                                                                                                                                              DDD was 2/3
                                                                                                                                                              It is 2/3 no letter and no partial refund as of yet

I’ll keep you all posted.

• #4127540
                                                                                                                                                              confused

I’ve been reading all questions and answers but still confused. I received the take action notice with the tax topic 151. I filed the same way I did last year. Dependents same. Only difference is I made less last year. I use h&r block and have an emerald card for the refund to be deposited on. I call the card and it says my funds should be deposited on the card and that the state has processed my state refund. But all that was deposited was $385. Nowhere near my fed refund amount. Nowhere near my state refund amount and nowhere near what I paid into my federal taxes. H&r block has no answers and it says I need to wait for a letter in the mail with numbers I can call before calling the IRS. I’m completely confused here this is the first time this has ever happened to me

• #4127404
                                                                                                                                                                Justme

@infor market

How do you know the rest will be in the following day sorry wrong info earlier I got 1000 of my money but not the EIC the lady was really nice and made me feel better about everything and said it’s not a audit its a review so if I have been doing the same thing every year I should be fine.

• #4127198
                                                                                                                                                                  Anonymous

Cant order them. Just have to wait o

• #4127075
                                                                                                                                                                    bouchee#1

how do you order transcript to see why topic 151 is showing up?

• #4126753
                                                                                                                                                                      Anonymous

Still nothing on my end. Wtf? Thought i would get something today.

• #4126746
                                                                                                                                                                        Justme

Okay so I got some of my money but only 300$ smh

• #4126659
                                                                                                                                                                          Jason

Ok, maybe this will help. Filed 1/11 accepted 1/12. 1/29 able to order both transcripts. 1/30 Tax topic 151. No bars no DDD. This morning woke up to same, but with reference number 1242. Saying to call the IRS. Spoke with the nicest IRS person I have spoken with. She stated that I have a deposit of basically what I paid in coming today, 2/3. The rest is what is under review. Which for me is the EIC. So if anyone is wondering if you will still get money with 151, the answer should be yes. I don’t have the deposit as of 830 am EST, but I’m hoping maybe tomorrow morning. At least it something. Good luck guys.

• #4126590
                                                                                                                                                                            Info market

Hi Cece look into your account on the 4th or the 5th Bank Acc. You’ll get the remaining refund . 100%
                                                                                                                                                                              Let’s go Yankees

• #4126271
                                                                                                                                                                              Cece

@justme same here same time frame.

• #4126261
                                                                                                                                                                                Justme

@cece
                                                                                                                                                                                  I am I was able to order both transcripts Friday then sat woke up to tax topic 151 so idk what’s going on

• #4126255
                                                                                                                                                                                  Cece

Has anyone with topic 151 and under review recieved all or part of their refund yet? Or get a DD? I was able to order transcripts, and when I called the offset line last week it said I had one current debt and to call the NYS dept of labor. When I called again a few days later it said debt paid with fed refund dated 2/3. Called again after I saw the 151 and under review and offset line now said it went back to a current debt. Im so confused. By debt isnt over what my refund should be. But like I said I was able to order both transcripts. Just wondering if I will recieve part or all of my refund today. So frustrating and stressful. I keep calling the offset line like crazy praying its changed back to debt paid. Anyone with a similar situation?

• #4126088
                                                                                                                                                                                    info market

Check in the morning it will be ther it’s your money thy can’t hold it you worked for it but thy can hold claims so if you put in $ 4.00 and you claimed $3.50 then thy put a hold on $3.50 till you prove it , so you will get $4.00 DD tomorrow 02/03/2016.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Thank you

• #4125842
                                                                                                                                                                                      Eric

A little about me:

Filed/Accepted 1/26
                                                                                                                                                                                        Notice of Review 1/30

I assume it’s for EIC, me and a lady who is in the same boat have been messaging each other about it for a few days now. She swears up and down that she called the IRS today and they told her that she would get what she paid into federal on 2/3 but she will have to fight for the EIC which could take upwards of 60-90 days. I’ll let you guys know in the morning if I end up getting any money. Hope this helps.

• #4125733
                                                                                                                                                                                        Scott

Taxes filed on jan 23rd and accepted within 30mins I got the status 151 on jan 30th in the morning. So I have no idea if I will receive a part or any of the refund I can’t get any answers from anyone about it. When did everyone else’s topic change from 152 to 151? Did you get your refund yet? Everyone’s status that updated on the 30th has a DD of Feb 3rd. So I was wondering if that means ill get part of it then too?

• #4125579
                                                                                                                                                                                          AmandasMAD

I also got a topic 151 because of claiming my girlfriends children, I have taken full care of them for 4 years and on all their papers from school to leases to everything, hopefully I can prove it to them :(

• #4124873
                                                                                                                                                                                            shan

I woke up to Tax topic 151 also. I reviewed my return the only difference is I claimed my 20 yr old. She has a part time job but she made under $4,000 in the nine months she’s worked. My ex hub (her bio dad) has always filed her when we were married and divorced. This is my yr filing her since I think ’03. I THINK that’s what flagged my return. Now it’s just a waiting game. I will keep everyone posted. This sucks!!

Filed: 1/13
                                                                                                                                                                                              Accepted:1/14
                                                                                                                                                                                              DDD WAS: 2/3

• #4124814
                                                                                                                                                                                              Justme

This has really made me feel better since I can order both transcripts so I guess now is the waiting game

• #4124780
                                                                                                                                                                                                Misty
                                                                                                                                                                                                  @mightypisc3s

I’ve seen alot of people getting the tax topic 151… I called today because I got 172 out of money… no offsets when I called.. she advised me that it was E.I.C., so when I asked her if I would have to prove that they are my grandchildren and that I have custody, she stated that it hasn’t made it that far to have to show proof that right now its only being reviewed. They have up to 21 days to either approve it or send me a letter to let me know what I would have to show proof! She stated that I should be ok since I have previously claimed the grandbabies. So lets keep our fingers crossed

• #4124748
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Unknown Tax Payer

I spoke with IRS regarding Tax Topic 151 that I received on WMR. My refund was adjusted, but I will receive a portion of my disbursement on 2/3. Accepted on 1/19/16. I was able to order both transcripts and return. I have no Offsets(Nor does my spouse)

Filed Married filing Jointly-New this year(May Need Verification)
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Possibly could have been penalized for Health Care(Didn’t have Health Insurance of 6months during 2015)
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Filed Head of Household for 2014(Married 6/12 months in 2014)

Only possible reason that I could think that could’ve caused a review…All other credits and dependent were filed previously

Did not qualify for EIC

Agent couldn’t give me an answer, I have to wait on Notice

Hope this helps someone….because your responses has definitely helped me!

• #4124591
                                                                                                                                                                                                    FeelingAlone

@myheadhurt that’s terrible ugh I spoke with someone today and she pretty much read the same thing u can. See on the site smh

• #4124587
                                                                                                                                                                                                      FeelingAlone

I am having the same issue I wonder if since I was able to order both transcripts will I still get money this week with the 151 and no offsets I haven’t been able to get any answers with this

• #4124584
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Myheadhurt

I called the irs today and finally got someone to let me know what going on I was inform that my refund is under review and that I will be recieveing only bout 900 of my refund out of let just say 7 bands ??? she also said my letter went out on Friday I don’t know what I have to show poof of but its has to be something with the kids I’m filling which is my niece 2 of them the lady told my I may not have to send in anything and they will send the rest of my money don’t know how true that is but this is what irs due to ppl that filling legit and they always approve the MF THATS DOING ALL THE FRAUD BUT I HOPE YOU GUYS GET YOUR MONEY

• #4124475
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Jk

I received Topic 151 to. Someone else been claiming one of my kids without my permission.

• #4123957
                                                                                                                                                                                                            GeeNuh

@John As far as I know, if you owe more on student loans than your refund is, they will take all of your tax return. You will receive a letter in the mail instead of a refund! You need to set up a payment plan with the Dept of ED or they will take every year until it’s completely paid off. They can also go as far to garnish paychecks which is usually 15% of every single check. You should really look into it asap.

• #4122853
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Robert

This topic 151 feels like the world’s over… I called the offset number and says I don’t owe anything which is great. But my question wth else could it be the EIC … I did nothing different from last year and claim the same ppl I claimed last year… Will we still get a refund this coming week?

• #4122840
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Stephanie

My tax preparer told me that anyone who claims anyone that is not a biological child will have to prove their relationship. I do not know if it is true but it’s seems everyone getting that tax topic is getting flagged.

• #4122806
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  John

I got this topic 151 Saturday morning, call the offset hotline n found out I owe money for a student loan. It didn’t say how much, just to contact the US Dept. of Education for more info. My question is how will I know when the money is taken and how much.

• #4122778
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Bobbie

It’s not always a debt, it just means something was flagged on ur return, it can be for a number of reasons. Some ppl have to prove their wages, some forgot to sign something, sometimes it’s house credit, edu credits. It can be a number of things,

• #4122703
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Josh

And whatever u do, don’t call IRS until 21 days have passed. It’s pointless. Trust me I did that last year. Also check the offset hotline daily and see if your offset has completed, so that u know how much was taken and now know what to expect. If u don’t have an offset then its for sure an eic issue. U will receive the other portion of your refund, but must wait for the IRS letter which takes up to 30/days to receive and up to another 60 days for irs complete in order to see if u qualify to receive the eic portion of your refund. Tax topic 151 isn’t the end of the world, either u owe a government debt, or u claimed an eic that is questionable. This is not an audit.

• #4122700
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Josh

Been reading alot of forums and did 2 days extensive research. Tax topic 151 is either 1 of 2 things and that’s it…. 1.) U have an offset, meaning you owe your state a debt, child support a debt, u claimed bankruptcy, or u owe student loan a debt. U will get a letter via mail explaining what was taken, and your rights to appeal the IRS decision. The likely hood of u getting the remainder or your taxes depends on how much unowe. Example: u got a 8000 return but owe 1200 in back state taxes from last year…. U will still receive the remainder portion of your taxes, usually within 10 days of receiving the tax topic 151 on the wmr website. The only other reason you would get tax topic 151 is because u claimed someone newnon your refund that u didn’t last year. Neice, nephew, brother, aunt, girlfriends child etc…. U will still get your refund but won’t get the eic ( earned income credit) portion until u supply information to the IRS validating that u take care of that person. They will want anything from proof of their residency living with u, to doctor and school records. Either way the wait sucks, u should still get a partial return, as long as your debt isn’t bigger then your refund, and if u have other credits do to u other than eic. Hope this helped. I’m waiting too. Was banking on that money to pay debts. We should never bank on IRS to do anything ina timely manner. That I’ve learned. So frustrated.

• #4122534
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Wishing&hoping

I too could order both transcripts last week and woke up Saturday morning to tax topic 151. Really need these funds to pay rent lol hope it will update again tmrw. Fingers crossed

• #4122470
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Bobbi

Ok guys, I have spent like 15 hours researching this. In many cases it is for EIC and u have to prove ur dependents live with u and the relationship. But in other cases ppl made errors that changed their rerund. U forgot to add income and it changed the amount, some ppl forgot to file papers. Basically they changed ur refund some way and u either have to prove something, fix something, they changed something, ect. Please come back here and update when u find out what it is to help ppl in the future, bc I have found most ppl post they got it, but not many update, so it’s hard to find much info. In the EIC cases, some ppl wait 30 days,others never got theirs, so we will just have to be patient until we know. I personally have made myself sick worrying about taxes, and when I got the review code, I lost it, so I do know how u feel. Just prey for simple math mistakes. For anyone claiming like newphews, ect. U will need the child’s parents birth certificate, the child birth certificate, and urs so u can show the connection, u will also need school, doctor, or daycare ppls to show u shared the same address.

• #4122410
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Myheadhurt

I also woke up in check wmr and seen take action and my bars went away which freaking sucks I check the offset line which I did before even filing and it said I owe noting check again today n still say noting only thing I did different this year was file my sister I’m so confused in I need my money ???? I can’t wait 30 days for a letter however I did read on the irs that before u get approve your bars can go away cause at 1st I had bars that showed accepted now it’s gone
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Just gotta have faith that we will get a D/D ????

• #4122367
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Misty
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  @mightypisc3s

There’s no longer a date it just says: Take action

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then…

I called the offset number and no offsets, so I’m totally confused! Only thing I can think of is that I have a judgement against me for almost 900, but if that’s the case then hopefully I will get my refund soon! I don’t know what else it would be

• #4122206
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Jason

I woke up this morning to 151 as well. I. Claimed everything the same as last year except I didn’t claim my biological son because this is his mom’s year to claim him (even though I have him 80% of the time and she is in a different state) but that is what we agreed to. And my address changed. I claimed my Girlfriends children just like last year since they live with me 100% of the time. So im the head of household. Was able to order transcripts Friday. Should I still get something this week?

• #4122177
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Anonymous

You should still get refund if date is available

• #4122174
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Anonymous

If you recieved and offset then that is what the letter will be stating

• #4122170
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        michelle

I also woke up to tax topic 151
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          This is my first year E-filed and I claimed my cousin and my auntie

• #4122145
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          nesha

yea i claimed my sister and nephew and could get both transcripts yesterday and today woke up to 151 will i still get what i put in for last year on the coming dd

• #4120287
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Anonymous

I also have 151. Nothing has changed from last year. This sucks

• #4120227
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cece

Yesterday I was able to get both Transcripts and when I called offset line it said my unemployment debt had been Paid with my federal refund dated 2/3. I checked wmr this morning and I had topic 151 and take action saying I’m under review and wait for letter. How am I under review if they’ve already taken the offset? I’m so confused and stressed.

• #4120077
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                patientlywaitingatl

@Bobby I do know that not filing unemployment would not cause for review because you have 3 years to amend your taxes for any addition income or changes so its something else and it could be nothing.

• #4120071
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Bobbie

Same here, could order transcripts yesterday, woke up today to take action under review tax topic 151. We forgot to file unemployment and it was enough to cause an overpayment of like 400-800$ so I was going to file and amended return, I pray this is what it’s about.

• #4120055
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    patientlywaitingatl

my son in law also got tax topic 151 and a take action notice stating he will get a letter in 30 days. This was his first year filing claiming his disabled brother

Viewing 118 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • The forum ‘2016 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.