When your tax return is still being processed and you’ve depended on your refund.

tax return is still being processedDo you have a utility shut off or eviction notice and your tax return is still being processed?

If your tax return is still being processed and you filed what seems to be a long time ago, you are not alone. It’s not always a vacation and shopping spree fund. A lot people depend on a tax refund to supplement their income for essential living costs. At this point in the year, we have seen many people get their tax refunds and be on their merry way. But with others still being delayed, not receiving your tax refund can quickly become a financial burden.

Don’t let people make you believe otherwise — it’s reasonable that people depend on their refunds.

In fact, the EITC was designed for people of lower incomes to provide financial assistance for working families with children due to the rising costs of living.  If you use your tax refund to offset the cost of housing and other essential living expenses, when it doesn’t arrive as expected, it’s easy to get behind.  We get it, and aren’t judging you.

Get help with a utility shut off or eviction notice.

If your tax refund is being delayed and it is causing a financial hardship we recommend reaching out to resources that can help with basic human needs including help to pay for rent and utilities.  You can start by dialing 211. The FCC reserved the 211 dialing code for community information and referral services. When you call 211 you should reach someone that can provide a critical connection between you and appropriate community based organizations and government agencies that provide assistance for rent and utilities.  Or google 211 with the name or your state or county and you will likely find the local website to direct you to resources available.

Get help from the Tax Payer Advocate Service.

We also recommend calling the Taxpayer Advocate Service if you haven’t already.  The TAS can help expedite the processing of your tax return if you have a hardship. The criteria for a hardship case is here.

Did you get a 4464C or CP05 notice?  Read more here.

Join the live discussion and get answers from other people in the same situation here.

1. Mad as hell

I filed my taxes on February 11th and this is the second letter I’ve gotten saying that they’re reviewing my taxes and I have to wait another 60 days so that’s a hundred twenty days I’ve had to wait I need my taxes I’ve been counting on my taxes I don’t understand how they can do this is this illegal?

2. Londa

I have filed my taxes since Feb. 1 2020 . Gotten a 4464c letter on Feb 19 2020 that it was under review for 60 days . Now it’s April 21 2020 still saying processing .wtfl

@Needing Doe: Go to Irs.gov get transcript and see if you can register for an online account. If you can make an account, you may be able to see what’s going on with your return.

4. Needing Doe

Mine to says still processing. I’ve got no letters no code. It says a date will be provided later. Mid Jan is when they were filed. I’m hearing everyone speaking about a transcript. Is that online so you can go to it or what

5. Frustrated MAMA

I have filed my 2019 taxes feb 17 and still showing in processing no bars to indicate where my return is in progress. I’ve never had to wait this long to receive my refund. I depend on that money heavily to catch on medical bills and such. I have not received a letter indicating their is an issue with my return. I can’t speak to a live person for weeks now, no longer answering calls. How am I suppose to fix an issue if I don’t know what it is. I want my damm money.

6. Stressed to the max

I filed feb 4th 2020 just got cp05 and still being processing I have a one yr old and was suppose to start a new job then they had to close due to cova 19 car payment , rent, everything is behbehind I’m so stressed called irs two

7. MEP

I did get my power shut off while expecting my refund. A few codes have been added to my tax account but I’m not sure where it stands.
    Do I go by the last code of 570 or the last date 3/30 or 4/15?

@Kam: you have a hardship and you may be able to get an expedited refund but you need to contact a tax advocate.

9. Kam

My return was accepted the 27th of January. I claimed the same 3 dependents (my children) that I have always claimed, with the same general income I have every year. A very simple straight forward return. I received a letter saying I was under review, but they did not require additional info at this time. The IRS site still says my return is being processed. Well, I have never waited longer than 3 weeks for my return until now. At this point, my lights are getting shut off Monday, if I don’t have money for my landlord by Sunday I’m going to be homeless. And my car has been sitting in the impound for over a week and I can’t get it out without my refund money. Smh

@Ziggy: I have seen it happen before especially when the Wmr is glitching. Someone yesterday called and was given a deposit date, but the Wmr wasn’t recognizing their information.

11. Leap8
      Ohio
      Bancorp
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit
    • Weekly

My sister just got her ddd of the 27th from H&R

@Clueless Texan: Hard to say, but I wouldn’t think there would be any issues, something like that would be easy to review and verify if it was flagged.

13. Clueless texan

This may be a little odd as I have not read anything involving the same situation, but I was in prison for 13 years did not have a force filed any taxes during the periods that I was out I didn’t make it even come work so to speak and this is the first year I’ve had a real job and I’m filing taxes how is this going to affect that tax refund