According to the IRS, Letter 12c is a Submission Processing Notice.
- Pre-printed notice indicating your return has been received
- The letter has check boxes to indicate information needed to process the return.
- The letter will explain what documents/forms are to needed.
- Return has not been processed and the Integrated Data Retrieval System (IDRS) indicates a 12c has been sent to the taxpayer.
- Reps will encourage you to return the requested information.
- After you return the notice with requested information, your return will then be treated as filed on the original date received.
- Send the requested information to the mailing address in the top left corner of the letter.
- Taxpayer has 20 days from date of letter to respond.
- If you need more time, contact the IRS.
Sections of the Letter 12c.
- Header: Notice Date, Notice Number and your Social Security Number
- Response Section: indicates the year of tax return being reviewed, what items need addressed.
- Additional Response Details: you may have the option to respond via fax.
- Explanation: indicates the information you need to provide and why.
- Contact Information: use the appropriate number provided to call with questions.
- Contact Information: use the appropriate number(s) provided to call with questions.
Comments are closed.