NYS refund under review

Home Forums General Discussion 2016 Tax Season NYS refund under review

• This topic has 72 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Andrea Kubis.
  • Topic Starter
    Nichole

My NYS refund was received early last week and today when I checked on the status it says it needs further review and may take up to 90 days.

Has anybody had this happen before? What does it mean? I can’t imagine why it would be flagged, my return has been the same for the past four years and it’s pretty standard.

If anybody can help, I would appreciate it.

Viewing 71 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Tiffany

I filed on 1/20 and my federal was accepted 1/21 and NYS 1/22.. I left it alone (NYS REFUND) and checked the status on 2/1 and saw that it was in the final stages of processing (great!!) and then on 2/4 checked again and saw it was in the initial stages of processing (mmm not so great?). I went back sometime around 2/6 and saw that I was being pulled for an audit and to look for the letter within 14 business days (oh and for the record my Federal was deposited by 2/5).

TBH, I kind of saw this coming, my income has been the same for the last 4 years, but when I did my taxes, I noticed about a $500 increase in my state refund compared to the last few years. I went through and made sure I had everything in correctly and could not find a problem. I was also dealing with a daycare provider who was shutting down her business at the end of 2015 and texted me my tax info and told me it would be awhile before she could get it on paper… from the get-go there, I questioned the validity of the number she gave me.

ANYWHO, on the 14th business day, I finally received the letter in the mail (meanwhile I had already called EVERY PHONE NUMBER that the taxation department has listed until I finally got a person, who told me she couldn’t see anything bad about my return, just to get in my forms and I would be ok). I immediately gathered all of my forms that they requested: W-2, tuition forms, student loan interest forms, daycare form, birth certificate for my daughter, as well as a letter from the school stating their records showed she lived at my address and I was her Primary Caregiver, and faxed this all in. Within another 2 days, my status had changed to “we’ve received your correspondence and your case will be processed in the order it came, this could take up to 90 days”.

Ok, fine, did my part.. left it alone for awhile. This type of thing makes me sick to my stomach because, I’m a single mom, I work a barely over min. wage job and go to school part time in hopes of getting a stable career. I file everything and don’t try to take more than my fair share, so the idea that something is wrong or questionable, makes me wonder what I did wrong and how I have to fix it. I went in today (3/15) just to see if it was still at the same status and to my horror got the message “The status of your refund cannot be found at this time”. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???? I could take if it was still being processed.. I could take if it said it required additional information. There is a part of me that is trying to be hopeful that maybe my case is being processed and I just happened to check on a day when it was in transition.. is that a thing?? Has anyone else received that message after sending in the documents for the audit.

Andrea Kubis

I had the same thing happen to me. I NEVER had a problem until this year. They required my w-2’s and I sent them. They said it would take 90 days – that was in JUNE, even though I filed in the beginning of March. Now I just called them and they said instead of a refund, I owe them, $5,000. I don’t even make that much in overtime, what gives? How can this be possible? Is it another way to stall? Ugh, I’m sick to my stomach over this.

Russell

I filed in April. Received the “need W2” message in May and faxed it the second week in May. 91 days later, having had the “in the final stages of processing” response online for over a month, I called. They told me that they had not processed the W2 until the end of June due the the large volume of faxes and that the 90 days to respond starts after they process the fax, not when they receive it. They say they have until the end of September to respond. What do you want to bet that at the end of September there is another delay. This is outrageous!

Laurie

My taxes were done in March, they asked for more info in May and we sent it. For the last 60 days there has been this message-
                Refund Status
                Your return has completed processing. You will receive correspondence about your return within 30 days.

No correspondence yet!

Geoffrey

Taxes filed electronically via Turbo Tax on 3/15/2016. Received “under review message, give us 90 days”. By 5/9/2016, I received a message on the NYS website that they needed copies of my W-2s to verify amounts withheld for NYS and NYC Tax. So, I responded the same day and uploaded copies of the W-2s, while completing their required form. About two weeks ago the message from NYS read “Your return is in the final stages of processing. Once your refund is approved, the issue date will be available”. Definitely seems like a “stall” by NYS to delay paying out my refund. My plan is to call them on 6/15/2016, if I don’t receive a date refund will be paid. Any other ideas? This is nuts.

Debra

Same thing happened to me with my nys taxes. I had my tax preparer efile my taxes February 4th….it is now May 31st and still nothing. I first received the under further review…then about a month later i received return will be processed in 2 weeks….then i received the message ..your return has completed processing you will receive a response in 30 days…about a month later i get the later stating. I needed to send a copy of my w2…what kind of crap is this…ok so my tax preparer faxed in my w2s and they said it could take 30 days more to show up in system if they got it…well 30 days passed i called them…big suprise they claimed they didnt get it..so i uploaded my w2s to my account on website and they did get it…now just a waiting game…ridiculous

Linda

I’ve never had a problem with my returns.. I’ve always used H&R block online. this is the first year I’ve ever had a problem. got my fed right away.. but still have no idea if I’ll ever get my NYS. It’s been in the “completed” stage for over 60 days now.. and all it says when I check is the same thing since day one of checking.. that I should have a correspondence within 30 days. And I’ve tried the 800 number it says the same via recording.. apparently there is no one to complain about. They took my taxes, I’d like some of that back please and thank you.

Yvonne

It has been almost 8 weeks and nothing has happened. No letter, no processing. They received it on 3/19. After that they are no new messages for the email I signed up for. Says the same thing everyday. Has anyone waited the 90 days? I am not sure what is going on with the New York State.

Mrs. Jones

Hi everyone I received the same 90 day review. It has been almost three weeks and no changes . Can someone pls give me tht number to call.

Nymets1fan

I got the “will receive corrpondence” but it says 30 days not 10. I haven’t seen anyone with that same message. What does it mean? Should I call or/and wait for the message to change?

Yvonne

I filed last year on 3/31. I received my check on 4/9. This year I filed on 3/18 and now I am in 90 day review. I have nota received any notices from them. I believe it is budget time for the state and they are not sending money very quickly. The system is backed up every year… We do our taxes each year. They need to improve their system. I have not come over the 90 review yet.

Charlene

I used turbotax. I moved from NYC to North Carolina. I actually work in South Carolina and I filed my taxes 2/15. They were all accepted 2/16. Got my federal with no problem. My South Carolina refund took about 2 more weeks but my New York refund has been saying “requires further review” for over a month now. I’ve been waiting on a possible letter or something requesting more information…. NOTHING! Everyone I know has been having the same issue. I think NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance is just taking this time to delay our refunds while they gain more interest on the money they owe us before returning the interest-free loans we gave them… Do better NYS!!

Thomas

I was “under review” 90 days message. When I called the contact center, claimed nothing was wrong with my return.Called again said audit- my quarterly wages had not been reported by my employer. Said letter would be sent within 10 days. I called,supervisor now claimed 30 days. I was able to get the fax number to send W-2, now says “final stages” may receive next week.

Ny is not normally slow for me, but for the past 3 years have had exceeding ddifficulty.

Nicole

I was in review and received a letter via online but never in the mail. I turned in paperwork and now It says”my return is in the final stages of processing…” Is this a good sign that I gave the necessary paperwork and my refund is on its way. I’ve been dealing with this since the 20th of Jan. My return has been going review since i moved here going on three years and its getting on my nerves. I am always being asked to turn in W2 forms.

lp

I had final stages to review to you will get a letter in 10 days (10 days came and went) to audit. Still no letter in online account or mail. WTH? Did anyone get a letter?

DMP92813

Sam – does that even mean you will get a refund?

sam

After 4 weeks with 90 dayscsays final stages of processing. Curious to howblong this takes.

DMP92813

I received my federal yesterday and my NYS says its being processed for the past week and when I called it says it has been pulled for further review and can take up to 90 days.

Inkdbakr

I filed 2/16. On 17 it was received by nys. Immediately it said “final stages” message. Today I wake up and it changed from final stages of processing message to “initial stages, 2-4 weeks” blah blah. It’s going backwards for me lol.

Stapreme

I filed in January already received federal,however Nys process complete will receieve Mail within 10 days never got anything said that for a month,now it says process complete correspondence in 30 days,can anyone tell me something

Anna

I am wondering what number everyone is calling? I received my federal with no issue but, my state has been pending since 2/6 for further review. No letter has been sent and I do not owe for anything. The 1 number that I fojnd on the website hangs up on me after telling me everhone is busy to call back.

KT22

@B

I had the same message for about a week! Last night my federal switched to DDD and my NYS switched to “We have received your return and it is being processed. No further information is available at this time.” and I have no idea what that means. Anxiety inducing for sure.

Anonymous

NY Return.

Filed 1/24
                                                      Accepted 1/25

Initially got to “final stages of processing” until it changed to “under review for up to 90 days” on 2/1.

On 2/8, it went back to “final stages of processing” and remained that way, with no change whatsoever, until I checked the morning of 2/18 (possibly changed in the PM of 2/17), and saw a DDD of 2/19. Today.

I hope that helps some of you with speculating on when you’ll receive your refund

Nichole

@jennash

No letter, no DDD. It says initial stages of processing now… For over a week. I guess they mean initial stages of auditing???? Idk I stopped trying to figure it out!!

jennash

hey @nichole did you ever receive a letter about the audit?

Amanda

Mine updated this evening to a deposit of 2/22/16

B

My NYS tax return says it needs further review. It could take 4 weeks and up to 6 to complete. Has anyone else received this message?

Anonymous

Filed both state and federal and had accepted by 12:30ishpm on 1/24.

Received fed on 2/4.
                                                                NY state DD, this morning, is finally issued for tomorrow, 2/19.

Andre Black

Just got my approval for a deposit for Friday!!

Sam

I spoke to nys been under review since 1\29 .was told system gets backed up. Please check status tommorow it may change .

momof3nyc

finally received state refund this morning

Rafael

Submitted on 1/24 wemt from 90 day to Final approval and now back to no record….

• #4139062
                                                                        Stapremegod

Now it’s saying they finished processing will send correspondence within ten business days,what the hell is going on here? I have never been through this before can someone please explain to me if you ever been through this before or you know what’s going on,I need to know something,thank you

• #4137700
                                                                          momof3nyc

I checked mine yesterday morning and still had the final processing message, then I checked again at around 5 pm and had a ddd of feb 12th

• #4137200
                                                                            lisa

I recd same message from NYS initially “under review” –now seeing it in final stages.. I do not think this means anything –just a delay

• #4132100
                                                                              Nichole

So I have now gone from the review message, to final stages of processing to INITIAL stages of processing. I called and I am being audited! I’m so frustrated.

I have not received my letter in the mail from the state yet, anxiously awaiting it!

• #4131986
                                                                                melissa

i had this same 90 days thing last year and it took 7 months to get my money never happen to me before everything the same. now this year i see the same crap this can be happening to me again. so annoyed with the nys

• #4129282
                                                                                  Ashley

I got that same message and so did my mom. She has a red flag on her federal, but her state and also my state said it requires further review/90 day bs. I received my federal yesterday 2/3, but I was in a car accident and shortly after lost my job. I am definitely looking forward as I used nearly my entire federal already to pay my bills. Any update I will let you all know, but so far it’s almost a week with that weird message.

• #4128331
                                                                                    TheKindAstrologer

When does NYS fiscal year end/begin? They do this EVERY year. Every year, they’ve given me LESS than I was supposed to get back.

• #4128310
                                                                                      Ebony

My refund for nys went from processing to final processing. Now I have a message stating your refund completed processing & will receive correspondence in 10 days. What does that mean

• #4128272
                                                                                        Carrie

I am almost positive I got the same message of further review last year and it changed within a couple days. I think it’s just a generic message as it moves through the process.

• #4127828
                                                                                          Anonymous

I called and was told that my return was pulled for further review and should take 90 days and she said should there be any questions I would receieved in mail,now is this generic?will I actually receive my refund soon?

• #4127820
                                                                                            Sjames

E filed with TT on 1/15
                                                                                              Accepted 1/20
                                                                                              Had “under review” message for a little over a week up until today…now it says there’s no information on my return at all…
                                                                                              Not sure what it means…but I do know IRS and NYS need to get it together.

• #4127789
                                                                                              Sam

I am getting the same message will get fed dd Friday. So thinking it is NY. Wonder why my kids are moving out of state as they graduate from college .

• #4127740
                                                                                                Sharon

My has same message. Earlier today it did not say that. Im scared as heck! I filed EIC and education credit. Someone in another forum said if you filed Education credit it will be held the full 90 days! What the heck? I file same every year. Last year amd this year I was elegible for the credit. Im hoping it is a generic message. Im in panic mode. Still waiting on Federal to move from 1 bar…..worst tax year ever! Last year has federal in 7 days and state in 3 weeks. Ugh!

• #4127568
                                                                                                  Ern

Same thing here same message I called today gave them my info and they told me nothing was wrong that they pulled 100s of returns for review that it’s normal and no need to worry.
                                                                                                    They said keep an eye on it and no news is good news and feel free to call and check up on it.

• #4126963
                                                                                                    jose

Ny state sucks,allways the same bs when is time for them to pay us back

• #4125795
                                                                                                      Anonymous

I just now checked still same 90 day message. I did see a few that got there ddd today and yesturday so seems there moving slow as usual. But like saying goes “no news is good news”

• #4125738
                                                                                                        Anonymous

I have the same message for my NYS hopefully i get something from irs or nys soon wow longest tax season ever

• #4125618
                                                                                                          bk718

I received an update on my nys taxes for a ddd of 2-4-2016. After having the final stage of processing message since the 22nd. There is hope. I pray that i receive it earlier my federal still has no bars smh

• #4125438
                                                                                                            Yd

So my NYS return was received on 1/25 after my federal return and I have a DDD of 2/4 but my federal return is still being processed? Can we say that IRS is delayed!!! I’m annoyed

• #4125227
                                                                                                              Gemma

I filed 1/20 accepted 1/21 and on 1/25 received under review message as well!!!

• #4125135
                                                                                                                Anonymous

I went from under review to final stages of processing, on Thursday I think. It’s still processing as of this morning. I have seen some people say they got DDD for 2/1 and 2/3.

• #4125112
                                                                                                                  Candi

Mine went from under review to processing to back to being under review, this is just crazy.

• #4125111
                                                                                                                    momof3nyc

Mine also changed as of this morning from under review to “final stages of processing” supposed to receive my federal tomorrow hopefully NYS not too much later

• #4125092
                                                                                                                      Nichole

I also got this message this morning. As they were received on 1/25/2016. Second year in a row. NYS is a joke and needs to try these messages to be able to keep tax payers money a but longer. Isn’t enough we have to give them our money all damn year long. With no choice just take it … Let’s all go to Canada.

• #4125085
                                                                                                                        Nichole

I got this message last year. It seriously means that NYS is backed up and needs to push the bucket. So this scare tactic us posted to make you think you’re in question. When in reality NYS wants to keep your money as ling as possible. My refund was a little longer than I expected last year. Nothing to sweat, had they not made me think I was really under review for something I may have done wrong. Don’t hold your breath. But seriously it’s like a week or two behind only I’m sure.

• #4124941
                                                                                                                          Michelle

I received the message as well. Thanks everyone for responding to this. It makes me feel better.

• #4124561
                                                                                                                            David

Relieved ddd for 2/3 filed on 18th accepted 20th NYS

• #4124327
                                                                                                                              Anonymous

@sarah I hope mines change to a ddd because I know the state takes forever maybe this week something will move hopefully but ill be checking because the status changes so fast

• #4124316
                                                                                                                                sarah

i called and was told that almost all of the people who had filed early/first week had their state returns pulled for further review. the lady said she did not see anything wrong with my state and there was no indication of letter being sent to me, she said that the system automatically did it and that it will be reviewed and sent within the 90 days. unless i am notified my mail. she also said not to worry that very few people went through without the 90 day review and it does not mean that there is anything wrong with your taxes. you can call yourself to find out your own situation. i googled the number and got right through and no bs of having to wait 21 days like with your federal. hope this helps some people.

• #4123999
                                                                                                                                  Nichole

My status changed from “under review” to “final stages of processing, a ddd will be available once approved”. I think about 3-4 days after the under review message it changed to final stages of processing, so I am starting to believe it is a generic message. Don’t worry about it!!

Now I’m just waiting for a DDD date! As for my Federal, it was received on the 14th and it is still at one bar. Ugh!! Looks like I may receive state before federal this year which is a first.

I will keep you posted when I get a NYS DDD.

• #4123926
                                                                                                                                    momof3nyc

I have the same message as well for my state refund, I cant imagine why, this has never happened to me either. I did get a ddd for the federal though so hopefully the state status will change soon

• #4122282
                                                                                                                                      Anonymous

5 days later still no change hope by monday see some movement some say it can change in a few days or few weeks hope its sooner

• #4122279
                                                                                                                                        Anonymous

5 days later stillno change hopdby monday see some movement so.e say it can change in a few days or few weeks hope its sooner

• #4118093
                                                                                                                                          Jamie

I received the same notices this morning for nys. I’m worried. I file the same way every year and this has never happened. I filed on the 18th, accepted on the 19th and this is the first update I have received. No word from Federal yet.

• #4117394
                                                                                                                                            Anonymous

Typo** Generic

• #4117392
                                                                                                                                              Anonymous

I have the same message aswell it changed to that last night
                                                                                                                                                Alot of people say its a generov message sometimes

• #4117015
                                                                                                                                                Nichole

Well that makes me feel a little better. That 90 day message scared me! Thank you.

• #4117010
                                                                                                                                                  Scott

Nichole I had the same issue last year as well and like Amanda within a couple days I had my DD. I was told later that is standard for NY to randomly pull returns just to assure quality processing. So this is probably a good sign that your close. Last year I received my NY before my federal

• #4117008
                                                                                                                                                    Nichole

Thank you, Amanda.

• #4116987
                                                                                                                                                      Amanda

Mine did that last year for a few days then I received my DD. Don’t worry

Viewing 71 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • The forum ‘2016 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.