Need help from someone who has had their direct depost returned to IRS

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Tax Season Need help from someone who has had their direct depost returned to IRS

• Topic Starter
    DJohnson

Wondering if anybody has ever had a direct deposit returned to the IRS because the bank account it went to wasn’t in their name. How long did it take to finally get a paper check by mail?

Viewing 42 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        duncan
          @duncan

good news!

thanks for updating

Ten1seven

That’s awesome!! @Djohnson

Congrats, and happy spending!! 😎

DJohnson

Turns out that my refund did direct deposited for my date which was today after all. Maybe it was because we have the same last name and same address.

angeleyes67
                @angeleyes67

@Ellie you are right the Regions reloadable card only allow you to put so much on your card. I’ve seen it happen to her before. She has to go in to deposit more.

DJohnson

My brother’s bank told him there was nothing they could do and the deposit will be sent back to the IRS in 2-5 days once they receive it. I’ve been browsing forums and seen people say they received a meesage on WMR and a letter in the mail saying it would be 8-10 weeks because they have to check for fraud. I’ve also seen people say it took 2 weeks or so. I don’t think the IRS will stop the dd, so I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Ellie

Just guessing but either the card number was entered incorrectly or the DD amount was too large.

Some loadable cards have a limit of how much can be stored on them.

Amra
                      @amraann

@angeleyes67 how could Regions bank reject your daughters refund if she put it on a prepaid card instead of her Regions account?

hiloshark

it doesnt go back to irs in some instances. if you your taxes go through the middle man of sbbt , the funds go back to them, you have to send in i.d and prove that you is you . then they mail it out to you. my dd was returned last year its took 2 weeks to fix it

angeleyes67
                          @angeleyes67

My daughter DD got rejected by Regions bank and the IRS stated they will mail her a paper check by Feb 27. She put her reloadable card acct on her tax refund instead of her checking account with Regions. Her refund was due by the 15th of Feb.

Erika

Well me and my husband going through this now the bank rejected our refund because he wasn’t on my account but we filed jointly so I don’t understand we being filing the same way over 13 years and never had this problem but this is the first time we ever us this bank, its velocity credit union they suck because we is marry and no other banks ever did this so I guess we just need a joint account now,but they said they send it back to irs already so just have to wait for a paper check PRAY The GOOD LORD BLESS US FOR IT TO COME SOON but I was told 8 to 10 weeks wow smh

DJohnson

That’s good to hear. Hopefully I get the same results.

Erica

Similar situation happened to me last year got my account numbers switched up. The irs wouldn’t help to fix it claimed there was no way. They sent a paper check and told me not to expect anything for 4 to 6 weeks, I believe, and it only took about a week.

DJohnson

If anyone has experienced this situation please let me know how it went.

DJohnson

I appreciate it. Hope everyone else with a ddd this week gets a deposit on monday or tuesday.

Ellie

That’s a good solid plan!

Hoping for the quickest possible solution for you!

DJohnson

@Gi

That’s what I’m hoping to do tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know that. I hope it works out. I have two kids, bills, and debt that will help with me and my children’s mother out a whole lot.

DJohnson

@Ellie

I’ll have my brother contact his bank tomorrow and see what they say. If they confirm that they can’t allow the deposit, then I’ll call the IRS and hope they haven’t sent it out yet and ask to get a paper check. I’m sure everyone with a 2/23 ddd will get theirs Tuesday at the earliest depending on their bank, I was expecting that until I found out about my situation. I pray I get answers in the next two days.

Gi

Years ago, my boyfriend had his refund deposited to my account. We didn’t know about the name thing either. What happened was, the refund was put on hold in my bank until he called to verify his identity (the usual “which of these addresses have you lived at” questions). The hold was then lifted a few hours later.

Good luck!

Ellie

Well theres a conundrum.

Stay quiet and pray it goes through because of the same last name….

Or

Call the IRS and alert them to avoid the chance of the bank catching it or rejecting it….

Decisions decisions

What to do?

Feeling lucky?

DJohnson

@duncan

Will do.

@Theresa

Was it 4 weeks from the date it was returned to the IRS or 4 weeks for the intial deposit?

duncan
                                                  @duncan

Please update us on what happens and if on the chance that the DD does go through, since you guys have the same last name.

Theresa

Happened last year with my daughter she got a check 4 weeks later

Ellie

@johnny

Now the 3 thing makes sense!

They may mean three in one year not having to change accounts every 4th year.

There are many folk who have 3…4 even 5 ppl listed as co owners. Parents w/ adult children etc in case something happens to them….

Johnny

Your refund should only be deposited directly into accounts that are in your own name; your spouse’s name or both if it’s a joint account. No more than three electronic refunds can be deposited into a single financial account or pre-paid debit card. Taxpayers who exceed the limit will receive an IRS notice and a paper refund.

DJohnson

@Johnny

Didn’t know that. I know it depends on the financial institution and the IRS. It’s my biological brother’s account with the same last name as me though. But we found out that his bank rejects IRS deposits if it’s not in his name.

Ellie

@rayc.

I bank at a credit union too. Same boat.

@DJohnson

Keep us posted and good luck.

Johnny

You can deposit into your spouses account. Even if you aren’t on the account and file separately

DJohnson

@Ellie
                                                                You are right, the IRS will extend their phone hours for Monday’s holiday.
                                                                @Ten1seven
                                                                Thank you for the info, I’ll call tomorrow morning to try and do the same so I can avoid the process of it being returned.

RayC
                                                                  @rayman70

Ellie thats true. Treasury is closed. SOME banks are open on Monday.Unfortunately I have a credit union and they are closed Mon.So its just waiting til Tuesday and a have a good idea thats when many of these DD will happen.

DJohnson

I would like to contact the IRS to see if I can fet a paper check before the deposit is sent but, unfortunately they’re closed monday due to the holiday. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Ellie

@rayc

Ehhh. Well….the call center bring open doesn’t open the treasury or the Federal Reserve. Sad face.

We can keep hoping but…. Tuesday is coming… Ableit not fast enough.

RayC
                                                                        @rayman70

You are right Ellie,thats what I have heard…that they are pretty much working 7 days a week and will be taking calls Monday.Thats why I think,depending on your bank or financial institution,some folks will get a DD before the 23rd,maybe even Monday.

• #4178846
                                                                        Ten1seven

@Djohnson

What @Ellie is correct. I was able to call the IRS and they were able to stop my direct deposit and switch it to a paper check. I was able to bypass the three week process I was told it would take for the bank to reject it, send it back, irs review the problem, and flip back to paper check. Wmr days my check will be mailed on the 24th, I got lucky!!

• #4178844
                                                                          Ellie

The IRS call center is open Monday I guess. That’s what some folks have said.

Call and alert them.

If your depo wasn’t sent they may be able to stop it and go right to the paper check.

If it was already returned by the bank still call them and alert them its on its way back..Can’t hurt and may expedite the process if they know.

• #4178840
                                                                            RayC
                                                                              @rayman70

depends on the financial institution and honestly,the persons willingness to work with you to help you.Thats the long and short of it.

• #4178837
                                                                              DJohnson

@Anton

You got a check within two weeks after the direct deposit was supposed to go through or after it got returned to the IRS? Did you get some kind of notice or something or did a check just pop up on you?

• #4178832
                                                                                Anton

It happened to me last year, they told me it would be 4-6 weeks. However I got it within 2 weeks. Good luck!

• #4178831
                                                                                  DJohnson

Had my refund set to be deposited to my brother’s bank account. I have a ddd of 02/23, but I just found out his bank returns IRS deposits to the IRS if the deposit isn’t in the account holders name. He can’t add anyone to the account, so I know it will be returned. So I’m now wondering how long it takes for the IRS to cut a paper check after the refund gets returned. Was hoping someone with experience would have some answers because the IRS office is closed.

• #4178828
                                                                                    Ellie

Truth. The IRS does not attempt a second DD.

Banks have gotten real tough on not accepting deposits into an account that the person is not a owner of…. Its a liability for the bank the account owner and the person the depo is for.

Without any account rights the depo receiving person may not ever get their funds as they can’t access the account….
                                                                                      They could take your funds and run. I’ve seen it happen. THEN the person could go after the bank for accepting it….the bank then becomes liable.

The return to the IRS can take 5 business days.

After that….. I have heard said 6 weeks. Sigh.

Hope this is not true for you….

Good luck.

• #4178823
                                                                                      duncan
                                                                                        @duncan

You should call them and ask.

Whose bank account did you put for the refund and how did u find out it got rejected?

• #4178814
                                                                                        RayC
                                                                                          @rayman70

They typically dont do DD twice…thats true,but back then they did.I got very lucky.

• #4178813
                                                                                          RayC
                                                                                            @rayman70

5 years ago…it took 6 weeks. What I did was simply added my name to the account and they re-sent it via direct deposit..Otherwise,could take 9 weeks.

• #4178812
                                                                                            AWNV

From my understanding they would send you a paper check……they do not attempt direct deposits twice…..

Viewing 42 reply threads
                                                                                          • The forum ‘2017 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.