• Betsy Waren posted an update in the group Injured Spouse 1 year, 10 months ago

    Hi, I’m new here. My wife and I filed with an injured spouse due to my past student loans, since I didn’t want them being taken from her return and I am on disability and have no return myself.

    We actually have a huge problem, thanks largely to H&R Block. See, they didn’t tell us till after they finished the paperwork that if we filed the IS form with taxes, that we had to pay our fees up front. Our landlord is thankfully wonderful about this and let us put rent off a little to pay the $318 fee H&R Block demanded before they would even file. We were strongly encouraged to do the Emerald Advance. Yeah, NEVER do that. We waited patiently for our state taxes to come back, only to find H&R Block took the entire thing for that stupid advance. The state check that was supposed to go to rent. Now, our landlords are good, but we ended up having to pay February’s rent in March. Now it’s the end of March and our federal still has no word. We are having to pay March rent in April. The problem is, we are behind on a lot of bills now we were counting on using at least part of state for. So here we sit, biting nails, praying for a return with no word. I don’t know who to contact, and I don’t know what to do. We are now 3 weeks behind on rent again, behind on our electric, about to be behind on our gas and water, and car insurance. My wife does not make enough to cover all this stuff. We are barely scraping by on $50 a week for gas and food if we are lucky, for 3 people including a teenage girl who is graduating this year and has needs she has to have paid before they let her graduate.

    I wish I knew what to do, because I’m stressing so bad my anxiety is through the roof, I cannot sleep, and I am at my wits end. Is there even anything that can be done? I don’t know. I’ll tell you this, we are warning everyone to stay far, far away from H&R Block.

    • BTW we filed way back on 2/2, so it’s been 7 weeks already.

    • Call 1-800-829-0582 ext 652 talk to them i see some people have to use an advocate and i think they can transfer you to one

    • I would call & see if you can file for a hardship. That’s why we never use h&r block, too expensive. We just do them ourselves through taxact

    • Can she also change her with-holdings at work so you are getting more income now and they won’t have as much of a return next year? That’s what I went ahead and did. I’m going to save some in case I overdid it and end up owing though.