What is a Taxpayer Advocate (TA)?

Home Forums Archives Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) & Other Help What is a Taxpayer Advocate (TA)?

• Topic Starter
    Admin
    IGMR Admin
      @igmr-admin

Congress established the office of the National Taxpayer Advocate (NTA) and its functions within the IRS is to assist taxpayers who have difficulty getting solutions to their problems or getting timely and appropriate responses to their inquiries. A TA can review actions that have been taken or need to be taken to resolve problem taxpayers are experiencing.

There is criteria that qualifies taxpayers for TAS Assistance and is used as a guide to determine whether they will accept a case. Here are some of them….

They generally accept “economic burden” cases when:
      Criteria 1: The taxpayer is experiencing economic harm or is about to suffer economic harm.
      Criteria 2: The taxpayer is facing an immediate threat of adverse action.
      Criteria 3: The taxpayer will incur significant costs if relief is not granted (including fees for professional representation).
      Criteria 4: The taxpayer will suffer irreparable injury or long-term adverse impact if relief is not granted.

They generally accept “Systemic Burden” cases when:
      Criteria 5: The taxpayer has experienced a delay of more than 30 days to resolve a tax account problem.
      Criteria 6: The taxpayer has not received a response or resolution to the problem or inquiry by the date promised.
      Criteria 7: A system or procedure has either failed to operate as intended, or failed to resolve the taxpayer’s problem or dispute within the IRS.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Danni
          @dani

Did you ever have any updates?

Danni
            @dani
            Traceymac75

Omg my life is falling apart because of this mess. Why did i receive a voice mail from my so called advocate first saying i will call you on April 26 and then 2 days later saying May 9th!!!! Thays what the IRS said so how is hardship being helped? Im being evicted 4/17. Advocates have had for almost month now. Took me complaining to IRS, well flipping out to even get my INITAL call. What a freaking nightmare!!!! Im stuck amd cant get her or the supervisors to call me back.

Mrs. New York

Filed 1/28
                Had to get a T/A 3/15
                D/D 4/6 and 4/11
                Get a T/A they are a great help!!!!
                Good luck to those who are still waiting for their D/D!!!😁

Dee

Sooo I had to amend my 2018 & 16 the tax women added 16 & 18 all on 2018 wtf now I had to go there today and redo everything. I want to cry 😢, they’re sending it in by mail…what should I do?

Edgar

Can we class action the IRS.
                    They are intentionally fuking all of us.

Do we not have any fuking rights or do we just get to let the govt fuk us over?????

This is bullllshit.

Ginger Larry
                      @assuredbats

The tax year ending is now near and we should have to consider its audit.

Confused

F/A 1/22
                        2/9 went to 1541 delay
                        2/22 called and got assigned a TA
                        2/26 sent amended return to ta with hardship documents
                        2/28 ta called back said submitted all info and to just wait alittle so the irs has time to scan everything in
                        3/1 wmr updated to processing
                        3/11 rcvd 4464c letter
                        3/13 still no new updates. I am a weekly so have no idea if andd when I would update

Now my question is seeing I have seen different posts. Do I need to send my amended return into the irs seeing my TA already did. Some posts claim there ta told them to and others they did not. My TA did not tell me to send it in.

AllFingers&ToesCrosses

@Dani same thing just happened to me.

pla

I just faxed my 911 form to the TA office in my area. Praying that they get back to me soon.

Danni
                              @dani

It must be certain tax advocates cause I just called stated I need help they said since I I’d verify I have to wait the 9 weeks.

KristinH
                                @kristinh

I have attempted to fax form 911 to the Mississippi Local TA and the number continuously does not wring. Fast tone as if not connected. Any help or information? Maybe they do not accept faxes until after 8 am or 9 am.

brokeiana
                                  @brokeiana

So guys I can’t check my transcript online so I decided to call the advocate line and ask for any updates on my account.

When I called Wednesday there had been no updates.

I was placed on hold for about 3 minutes.

When the lady came back to the call she told me my return was approved for the full expected amount and I have a DDD for 3/13!

I’m so happy guys!

So it has been exactly one week since my tax advocate submitted a release to the irs for my return.

My codes were:
                                  45 day review!

Ginger Larry
                                    @assuredbats

Get a free advice for all the tax payer who are still waiting for any magic things, they have to pay a heavy amount if they are not serious.

Andrea

Call your local TA office, I have called both, got thru on the national line in 15 min, the local office answered right away, told me to fax over shut off notices, eviction etc.
                                      Also, if you cannot get thru to the local office the FAX # is listed online, fill out the 911 form from the IRS website and fax that.

I filed 1/17, both credits. 1541 code since feb, changed to received and processing last week. Spoke to IRS, no letters sent, no movement on return. From what I can see I input the incorrect federal withholding by less than $100.00 so that’s potentially what’s holding up mine.
                                      Transcripts show 20190605 code, 2/25/19 processing date and a 570 code which is a hold that all that claimed the credits were put on with the 2/25/19 date next to it.

I have a case opened up thru the TA and should hear back by Monday I was told.

brokeiana
                                        @brokeiana

Hey guys.

570 and 971 with no DDD in site.

Has anyone in previous years or this year used an advocate to have the irs manually release tax return?

If so how long was the turn around?

My advocate submitted a release on Friday 03/01/19.

Is there any chance I can get a DDD this week?

Gurlcat
                                          • Top Contributor
                                          @gurlcat

I just spent the whole day finding out what a joke this is, and I wish I had read this thread (and others) first, because not only does it look like I made no progress; from what some here are saying, I may have SLOWED my refund. Sounds like you would need an advocate to advocate for you against these supposed advocates; the department is like antivirus software that gives you a virus.

Ryan

Now its 2019 tax time and we have to prepare for this.

Stephanie

I filed and accepted on 1/29 with bars going away on 2/15 and I called the IRS several times cause I always got my return in 3 weeks and they told me nothing was wrong just under review. After reading stories on here I got a TA and they told me my return was off by 1000 cause I filed off last check stub and told me to amend so I did that and faxed it to her 3/16. She called me on 4/11 and told me IRS processed the amended and I should see movement in 10 day and this Saturday I got DDD for 4/25. My return never showed up on the where my amended tax return site but showed up on the regular WMR with me putting the original return amount but it showed the adjusted amount on the side. I think the IRS can just look off the amended return if it is under 2000 or 1000 and just adjust and process the original and not actually process the amended.

Michael

I called the local TA office and l/m today. If they call back I’m just going to ask some questions before making any decision. Going by the 4464c letter 3-15-18 (and what the last IRS rep told me) I have to wait the full 45 days. I’m guessing that day will come and go, I will call, and another rep will tell me it was supposed to 60 days. Anyway, its not that much longer either way, but it seems other people on here are posting that they called again at the 60 mark, and now are being told to keep waiting.

I took a look at my transcripts again today. No updates.

MKR

I would be leery of using a TA after reading some of the tax horror stories on here. I think it may even be possible that they may end up having an adverse effect regarding the timeliness of receiving your return. Also, I have read that TAs are recommending some taxpayers amend their returns before they are processed. I don’t know if that is a new protocol. From some of the posts on here it sounds like you are rolling the dice when you get a TA. No thanks. I will wait.

JBinSOCO

A TPA is a piece of shit half human half braindead zombie, that doesnt care about you or your situation

Donesha

I got a tax advocate to help me with IRS back taxes and from taking my whole refund. Has anyone had experience with pleading hardship and receive part of their refund even though you owe irs?

GiveMeMyDamnMoney
                                                        @givememydamnmoney

Good luck actually reaching an Advocate. I spent over 6 hours on hold after doing intake, getting referred, given a transfer pin and then transferred THREE times…and each time at the 2 hour to 2 hour and 15 minute mark they hung up on me and I had to start over. Two days and I STILL haven’t connected with an advocate and my car has been broken down for over a month meaning I can’t work. My phone got turned off, my broken down car is about to be repo-ed, my utilities are going to be shut off and rent is due in a few days and I don’t have it and am at risk for eviction. Oh…I have a disabled child too. Each of the 4 people I’ve spoken to in the process of trying to get help tells me something completely different. Two mention a letter, two say there are no letters or problems listed. I don’t know what the hell to believe at this point. I just know that I’m furious. Oh, today is day 27 since being accepted.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                    • The forum ‘Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) & Other Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.