Talk to a Human at the IRS Updated 2024

Home Forums FAQs Talk to a Human at the IRS Updated 2024

• This topic has 44 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by TBW.
  • Topic Starter
    Admin
    jemar707
      @jemar707

Updated 2024: This worked as of 1/8/2024.

Fastest Ways to talk to a Human at the IRS

This is one of the fastest ways to talk to a human at the IRS. Here are the detailed steps to speak to HUMAN at the IRS:

1. Dial the official IRS refund status number (800) 829-1040
      2. Press Option #1
      3. Press Option #2
      4. Ignore whatever they say and then press 000000
      5. Listen to automated message and just ignore whatever they say
      6. Stay on phone and you will be put through to someone

Another way that was verified to work on 1/8/2024

Dial (800) 829-1040
      Press Option #1 for English
      Ignore everything they are saying.
      Press 3 Ignore everything they are saying.
      Press 2 They will say you are being transferred to the business tax line. That’s ok, they will still talk to you about your personal taxes. Ignore everything they are saying. Press 3

Other phone numbers for the IRS, Treasury and Tax Preparers can be found on our contacts page: https://igotmyrefund.com/talk-to-human-at-irs/

Old Way That No Longer Work… but these change throughout the year.

1. Dial (800) 829-0582
      2. DO NOT select Option #1 for English.
      3. Wait until the automated voice finishes talking.
      4. When asked, enter extension 652
      5. Listen to the automated message
      5. Make yourself a drink and sit on hold.

Viewing 43 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        TBW

I have used this number and the 652 extension before and it worked. Now it’s sending me to the amended returns line instead?

tiesha

I just tried calling myself and saying the call volume is high. It’s been over 3 weeks for me and the website is still saying a date will be available as soon as possible. This is crazy. I did my mom taxes on February 14 and she already has her back. I need my money to move out of a bad neighborhood.

Matt
              @md007

[quote quote=4444634]I sure hope this works iā€™ve been trying for 3 weeks to talk to someone to fix / help me understand something that Iā€™m getting charged LATE fees for!!!!

If not how do I ask a question here?
              Thanks[/quote]

Update: NOPE same thing as EVERY other possible option – due to high volume unable to take the call *click*

Matt
                @md007

I sure hope this works i’ve been trying for 3 weeks to talk to someone to fix / help me understand something that I’m getting charged LATE fees for!!!!

If not how do I ask a question here?
                Thanks

Kit
                  @hypertrain

Has anyone had any success speaking to the IRS via phone?

GA Peach
                    @gapeach95

Has anyone been able to speak to an employee at the IRS recently, like after they changed their answering to service to say they are “unable to provide live assistance”? I’ll call & wait, but I’d rather not be stuck in a hold loop that eventually disconnects. TIA!

Taxi
                      @erdos

[quote quote=4356590]MORE PHONES NUMBERS FOR THE IRS & others here.
                      https://igotmyrefund.com/talk-to-human-at-irs/

Fastest Way to talk to a Human at the IRS

This is one of the fastest ways to talk to a human at the IRS. Here are the detailed steps to speak to HUMAN at the IRS:

1. Dial (800) 829-0582
                      2. DO NOT selection Option #1 for English.
                      3. Wait until the automated voice finishes talking.
                      4. When asked, enter extension 652
                      5. Make yourself a drink and sit on hold.[/quote][/quote]

good info

Morgan

I called every number listed for the irs today and still there is no one there to answer. So is are government full of sh*t or what? Like man they take away refunds which for me is around $10k to give out stimulus checks of $2.2k like it just seems like they playing at this point.

I want my money.

CT

Hopefully they will now start answering the phone!!! They have been told to return to work on Monday: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforce/2020/04/irs-tells-initial-wave-of-10k-employees-to-return-to-office-monday-bring-own-ppe/

Nicky

I need to talk to someone about my refund. I been waiting since February and still no answer or letter. I’m out of work because of the covid19. And bills are still coming regardless of this damn covid19. I need to know what’s going on with my money ASAP. They need to have SOMEONE working in the office or by phone at IRS to answer our questions about our refund. This shit is crazy. I need help NOW…

Amanda

No dice. Never asks for extension. Hangs up mid message. On 4th try.

Linda Barry

I mailed in my Injured Spouse form 8 weeks ago. I have heard NOTHING. I am eligible for all money. My hubby had an old college bill unpaid. The IRS website has not changed my info at all.

Shawn Wolverton

Received a letter from the IRS stating they wanted me to verify my identity. Made several phone calls. No answer because no one is in the office at this time because of the COVID-19.If they don’t get my identity verified they said in the letter I may not get my income tax refund. So whats going to happen now? Am I or am I not, going to get my income tax refund. Not my fault.

Kevin ashcraft

I have tried to file my taxes and hand r block has also but it’s saying someone claimed me as a dependent or used my SSN. Please is there anyway I can get this figured out so I can file my taxes for 2018 2019 and receive my stemoulis pack. I’ve been trying for days and i didn’t give my permission for my taxes to be filed by anyone and for some reason no one knows anything about this situation or can helpe . Thanks in advance

mediumruth

also i have not received any mail about why it is still processing this is ridiculous, i undertand about the coronovirus but come on now somebody has got to be handling things at the irs.

Susan Cooper

IRS not taking any people to people calls
                                        3-31-20

discobarbiephdsinglemama

The code worked for me. I waited 15 minutes. I spoke to someone who was quite nice. But nonetheless, still irritated that they are still saying 9 weeks after ID verify.

Anon R

The extension says unable to handle my call at this time. Ughh

Anon R

This doesnā€™t work this year. It says the code isnā€™t valid.

Sabrina
                                                @sabrina-zapata83

[quote quote=4387422]Spoke to someone said letter was sent out dated 2/19(havenā€™t received yet) for missing info. Donā€™t understand why, received state about 3 weeks ago just waiting on federal refund still[/quote]

im facing the same thing. with my situation; there is a possibility that the employer may have only filed state and not federal.

Tiffany

Thank you!!! I waited maybe 10 minutes and the lady was super nice and helpful.

DeepInTheMailStack
                                                    @deepinthemailstack

I called and they hung up on me.

Zee

I was strangely told that transcripts show no information…I’m not confident in the representative I spoke with. Very script like conversation sadly.

Zee

I called this morning and so so information. I was told it is okay to amend your return while under review if W2s or whatever is missing. I was told a third party had been contacted to verify wages. I was told I cant get a tax advocate until 4 weeks from when the 4464C letter was sent. Then told 16weeks wait time for amendments….I’m pregnant with Lupus. I’m trusting in the Most High.

Erica
                                                          @grace2020

@annoyed I talked to them as well. WTF how you gone randomly select ME when I’ve been filing the same EVERY YEAR and tell me that I won’t see my refund until April 20th when I filed January 29th! I asked did they need my w2s like wtf yall reviewing if everything correct šŸ˜¬

Melissa

I called and followed this but it said they couldnā€™t take my call at the extension due to high volume šŸ¤¬

Tara
                                                              @annoyedtotheextreme

Thanks for this called got right through. Spoke to a representative who had no clue as to what she was talking about, was pretty much reading a script and mentioned verification of tax credits and and can take up to 60 days. I’m not buying that BS. I will wait till Friday to see if I will get an update. I’m under 60 day review as well. Received a letter on 2/14.

Vayda
                                                                @vstrange

Works! Called and Iā€™m under review. šŸ˜­

Razz
                                                                  @reneev

This totally works. Called yesterday and waited less than 10 min to talk to a rep. You might need to try it a few times before it actually works though!

Dina

Thank you I got a date and only waited for 15 mins

Sarah
                                                                      @puddles88

Was told to call back by March 2nd if I don’t have a update so I know one thing H&r block better put that fee they charge up to good use

Lexlo9091

I got through and got the ā€œunder reviewā€ script. Iā€™ve never been selected for review in the past 8 years. It takes 60 days to be completed so Iā€™m not even checking anymore

• #4373281
                                                                        Lexlo9091

Just keep trying guys. Iā€™m on hold and it just told me my wait time is between 10 and 15 minutes. Iā€™ve been calling since 7am PST.

• #4373120
                                                                          Kamron Howard
                                                                            @kamronh99

This isnā€™t working for me. Called about 10 times now

• #4365762
                                                                            Lorie

now this number says….due to technical difficulties your call cannot go through…UGH!

• #4365169
                                                                              Samonelee

@Lorie keep trying. Itā€™s was doing the same thing to me. I just got off the phone with them. Itā€™s definitely fast. And I found out whatā€™s holding my return up

• #4365131
                                                                                Lorie

these instructions don’t work it keeps saying too high call volume and hangs up[=

• #4364544
                                                                                  Kris
                                                                                    @irishprincess

This is the best way to contact someone!! I was only in hold 3 minutes than ACTUALLY given the info I was asking for šŸ˜Š

• #4363217
                                                                                    lovelove

called just now not even a minute of wait time thannnkkkk yoooouuuu

• #4362602
                                                                                      AjSings

Thanks this number worked! No hold time!!

• #4362344
                                                                                        FIUGURL

Wow! this number actually works. I was able to get right through. However, I don’t think she pulled up my information and every question I asked was I don’t know. Then she proceeded with asking me why am I calling her with questions and I need to wait for my documents because they normally don’t do answer questions pertaining to tax refunds.

• #4361996
                                                                                          Roxanne

Thank you!
                                                                                            I got right through this morning :)

• #4357263
                                                                                            Sportsmom

Use this number. I called at 638pm. Was only on hold 4 minutes

• #4356819
                                                                                              Noonesinterested
                                                                                                @erica87

Thanks cause my nerves getting bad.. It’s my money and I need it Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!——

Viewing 43 reply threads
                                                                                            • The forum ‘FAQs’ is closed to new topics and replies.