Please help w my state update

Home Forums General Discussion 2020 Tax Season Please help w my state update

• This topic has 12 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Target.
  • Topic Starter
    Anxious20

So I’m kinda freaking out I was accepted on 1/30 for both federal and state my state has always had the generic message that it was being processed and may take 3 weeks. Well just now it updated to .. your return is being processed and is under review your return may take 12 weeks to process… wtf does this mean I’m being audited or something? They also said if they needed more information they would contact by mail.please help

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Target

Oh, and this person never got the supposed letter, either. Did you tell them you sent info in already? You can also ask why you were flagged.

Target

hmmm, this sounds similar to another case. One Rep told him he was under review, “wait for a letter” to comply. Another, asked what letter, why did you send in info. Well, he waited 2 yrs before receiving his refund. Tell me, why did you send (fax) info to begin with?

For future reference, unsolicited info (providing documents), not requested can flag you. Just an fyi for everyone!

Cher
              @elcandybaby

yes i did move, filed a new dependent. i already faxed in all docs prior to getting letter. still have not got letter yet

Target

@Cher, why do you think they pulled you for review? Did you move? Add a dependent(s)? Did someome else like dad, file EIC previously? or Etcetera?

Curious

Target

@Cher, well that sucks. State don’t play! As soon as you get the letter, get all requested info in PROTO .. I’d attempt to online or by phone first, unless they insist physical forms! Snail mail could mean you won’t see State for a months!

FYI: Do not call incessantly, if you do. Your file goes back underneath every single time in the wait list.

All the best to ya hun ..

Target

Hey, @Marcus, did you receive any news yet?

Cher
                      @elcandybaby

My state and federal was accepted on 1/31. I called FTB on Wednesday and they said I was in review . They said that the letter was being generated and going to be mailed out . The lady gave me a list of docs to fax in because they wanted to verify EIC credits . Not sure if my federal will be reviewed also

Justwaiting

It could mean you need to call in and verify your identity. I have had to do that in the past and as soon as I do they release the refund.
                        I’m not saying this is what it means just that it could mean that. Good Luck.

Marcus A Void

Question how soon after state taxes was processed to your bank does it take for them to send it to your account

Target

You’re quite welcome!

Anxious20

Thanks for your help target I really appreciate it

Target

An “Review” is NOT an Audit. Could it become one, yes! But if they told you review, then that’s all it is. The State will pull a Return from anything as simple as Address doesn’t match, to an old Debt and even Toll fees owed to the state! In many cases, it’s nothing to lose sleep over. AND…. Quite often the problem is handled without your needing to do anything!

Also, those long dates they give shouldn’t be taken literal, not in every case. Those are “just in case dates”. If you are reviewed further (must mail documentation), you may see a longer time frame, if it is corrected by them, you may not wait and receive yours when others do.

SN: IF they request more info, get it to them A$AP. However, the option to call back is there, too. And may even move the process along. Call only if more info is needed from you, attempt to handle over phone, wait til timeframe they’ve given after request of more info, or, call a few days after info sent – again, if any is requested at all.

Hope that wasn’t confusing!
                                All the best ..

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • The forum ‘2020 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.