Other Parent Rotate Dependent Claimed

Home Forums General Discussion 2021 Tax Season Other Parent Rotate Dependent Claimed

• Topic Starter
    CB
      @kentuckyladyc

Accepted 02/16….Lost bars and am now “still processing.” My son’s father and I rotate the child tax credit (dependent claimed). For the 2019 tax year he claimed him and for 2020 tax season (this year) I did. Personally, it is not a big deal for me to wait a little bit since they’re backed up. WHAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IS LOSING STIMULUS AGAIN! The new stimulus just passed and they could start sending it within days. The IRS hasn’t processed my tax return so my son’s father will get the stimulus money for the second year in a row. That has me really ticked! I am the custodial parent and my son lives with me. Sorry, I shouldn’t have to wait until NEXT filing year! That is so messed up! Is anyone else is this boat?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        thicks
          @thicks

Your filing status, AGI, and number of dependents will be taken from either your 2019 or 2020 return. If your 2020 return is already filed and processed when the IRS is ready to send your payment, your stimulus check will be based on information from your 2020 return. If your 2020 return isn’t filed and processed at that point, the IRS will use your 2019 return. If your 2020 return is filed and/or processed after the IRS sends you a stimulus check, but before July 15, 2021 (or September 1 if the April 15 filing deadline is pushed back), the IRS will send you a second payment for the difference between what your payment should have been if based on your 2020 return and the payment actually sent based on your 2019 return.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602396/when-will-your-third-stimulus-check-arrive

mel
            @singlemom90

Im in a similar boat. It was court ordered a few years a go between me and my childrens father that he would claim 1 child and i would claim the other. well he passed away last year so naturally i claimed both children. I claimed EIC and Child credits also unemployement (under 10k)…i filed 2/6 with accepted 2/14..refund status says its still processing and refund date will be available soon…i checked my transcripts this morning they say N/A for 2020. im worried.

Impatientpather

Please post these things to CNNs twitter. I feel like that’s the only way we will get anything done. They are literally the only people who could put enough pressure on the president/irs to get them to do something. They need to fix this issue. I’m not a single parent but this is costing them money when they really need it.
              Was there really no funding for the irs in the stimulus?!?

CB
                @kentuckyladyc

Glad to know I am not alone!

Kittykat

I’m in opposite boat. I claimed my son in 2019 and his dad is suppose claim 2020. Question really curious about my ex claimed him 2020 like he was to do. He got tax return. So would we both get credit for him if they go off 2019? Idk. It’s all messed up.

Deja
                    @deja

In a similar boat. My ex claimed my kids in 2019 because I was finishing college and not working so of course he got the stimulus for them despite the fact I have full custody and they live with me all year. I couldn’t get him to pay child support and so never expected he would share the stimulus either. So now here I am waiting for my return to be processed for 2020 so that he doesn’t get to take even more money away from my kids with the third stimulus.

CB
                      @kentuckyladyc

Thank you! I realize it hasn’t been finalized but I doubt they will have it processed in time. I thought about asking for the $$ but we will see. There is the the little detail of the new tax credit (3,000 monthly payments that start in July). He’s supposed to claim this year and I had just planned to hand over the monthly amount……

Candice

I am in the same situation. It’s horrible.

Souline

The good thing is the new stimulus hasn’t passed yet. It passed some revisions but they have yet to do a final vote before it goes to the president so you still have a little time. Hopefully you will see some movement on your taxes before then. If not I would just ask his Dad for the stimulus money!! It would be the right thing to do for him to give you the money. I hope everything works out for you!! Best of luck!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • The forum ‘2021 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.