Help pls

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 years ago by TaxMan.
  • Topic Starter
    Viv

Hello everyone

Our taxes this year was filed and accepted 2/25/2021. It says being processed on wmr.
      Now I just found out that my husband recently received a 1099-c in the mail that was dated last year. It was a lost mail that was delivered recently. From what I saw online, we are supposed to include it i our tax filing last year. This 1099- c is for a debt that was discharged in 2019 and was sent to us June 2020 –way was past the tax filing season.

Now, I know we have to amend out 2019 tax return to include this.
      Question, do we amend the 2019 tax return now or wait until the IRS finished processing our 2020 taxes first? Will this mess up our tax return processing if I amend now?

Thank you

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        TaxMan

From my experience, you have to mail in an amended return on a 1040X. If you mailed it in now, it may disrupt the process if they tried to process them at the same time. Your safest bet would be to go ahead and amend the return. However, it probably would not hurt anything to wait until the 2020 return is processed.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • The forum ‘2021 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.