When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. Shelea Zachery

@Sheila_33: Thank you so much I have been going through so much just to recieve my EIC portion of my taxes. I received my refund last month but it didn’t include my EIC so when the IRS mailed me a letting saying I qualified for additional money I had to get a TA to amend my return and from there I had to go over her head and and supervisor actually went forward to try to speed up the process fingers crossed that it hits my turbo card or that they mail me out a check…. I have 3 kids and I have been struggling waiting around on that unhelpful TA🤦‍♀️

2. Shanta

@Sheila_33: thank you for yur advice. I hope so its been a rough year my mom died in April my son started college in June of course that put me back…bills are piling up… I just hope things move along and get better!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@CarieB: Congratulations and thanks for posting your info. Hopefully it will give others an idea on the time frame.

4. CarieB

I had posted a week or so ago asking about how long others have waited for their refund on an amended return. I checked my transcripts this morning (I am a weekly) and it says my refund will be issued 7/19! The WMAR still says it’s processing. It says my amended return was received 5/7. I am just happy to finally see movement!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Fncj: Did they say what they were looking at? They may need verification of something, like exemptions or income. If you don’t have an advocate, you might consider getting one. An audit can take some time, since they go in order of being received, and can take a few months to complete. An advocate can help it move faster. Go to Irs.gov get forms and print and complete a 911 tax advocate request form and fax to the number provided on the form. A local advocate will contact you in a few days.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Shelea Zachery: An expedited hardship refund can be processed within days, since everything is manually updated even the transcript. I would think possibly an update at least by the end of next week if not sooner.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@DivaLisa from Florida: You’re welcome, sorry I overlooked you. Its understandable to be frustrated, this has been an awful year for so many.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Irritatedmom93: What a horrible experience, I’m sorry you went thru that. Once in a while I hear about an advocate that doesn’t do the job they’re assigned but your steadfastness paid off by staying on the phone and getting a supervisor involved. If they get the paperwork looked at and manually updated you may see something by the end of the month, unsure if it will be next Saturday but its possible especially since there are so many involved in it now. Good luck and please update us if anything changes.

9. Fncj

I spoke with the IRS this morning and they said that my return was sent to the examination department. Has anyone gone through this and how long did it take for them to examine your tax return?

10. Irritatedmom93

@Sheila_33 Over the tax season this year.. been waiting since Feb 6. Got an advocate in late May. She has been horrible. Doesnt answer calls doesnt return calls and doesnt send the irs anything your sending to her. Got pissed off and seriously waited on hold for over 3 hours tuesday to get a rep and try to get him assigned a new advocate. They gave us her supervisors number and the supervisors bosses number as well as emailed the advocate while we were on the phone. Got a call from our advocate this morning and as expected there was a transaction error(I’m assuming because she didnt send in it the correct amount of time the IRS gave her to do so — we called the irs last week and the only thing they would tell us was the paperwork requested was past due– and his 8862 form which was sent to her way back the beginning of June.. but that she FINALLY after 1 1/2 months of having the paper work sent everything in and that was all they needed.. and to allow 7 to 10 days for it to be reviewed and processed and she will call us back with an update(not hopeful on that as she has been mia for almost the entire time we’ve had her and never called us back June 27 which was the original 10 day period she should have sent it) so my question is if she really did send everything this morning (9am ish) what are the chances of them actually processing and closing the case and them updating WMR by this next coming saturday when they update again? She said the IRS has been moving swiftly once things are sent to them but it’s been 6 months so at this point I’m not even sure.. if not next Saturday is it a strong possibility itll be here by the end of the month do you think?

11. Shelea Zachery

How long does it take to receive your refund after it’s been expedited? I had a TA who barely contacted me with any updates so I spoke with her supervisor and faxed him over my cpo9 letter for my EIC and he said he gave the IRS a week to respond back to him. This was on Tuesday when he sent my paperwork in from an amended tax return.

12. DivaLisa from Florida

@Sheila_33: Thank you so much for answering. It’s just been a long waiting game.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Shanta: if it was approved you could possibly see a wmr update tomorrow for a refund date and if not, next Saturday at the latest. Really depends on how soon they get things manually inputted and moving. Good luck!

14. Shanta

I filed Feb 18 accepted the same day… well for weeks it stayed is being processed until late march it moved to is still being processed.. i received a 40 day review and then a 60 day review… everytime irs said they had nt gotten my income from my employment.. finally i was approved to get a tax advocate on June 25 by June 27 ive faxed all my info she needed. July 10, she said i was approved to receive it by July24 or 26..? Jus out of curiosity.. will my money show up then…

15. Black_Byrd

My transcript did NOT update. It would have by now. BUT I know they are doing something. When I go to my online account. Every account balance is $0 except 2015 (which is what amended return I’m waiting on) and it states:

Your information is not available at this time.
    We are in the process of updating your account. These updates take at least 2 weeks to complete.

So I know it’s happening. I’m guessing next Friday it will happen. Good Luck to everyone! :-)

16. waitingtoolong

My transcripts updated to 971 amended return forwarded for processing. How long does it usually take to get a refund once it says that? What exactly does that even mean with the Irs? My as of date went from 7/8 to 7/29.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@DivaLisa from Florida: My apologies. I have been back and forth the last 2 days and missed it. Yes, a referral is a good thing. If whatever is holding the refund is resolved and the return is just waiting to be processed, a referral will get it moving again.

18. Kyle23

@Black_Byrd: oh ok mine wasn’t received by them till the 30th. Hopefully I’m not too far behind you. I’m weekly also. Congratulations though. It’s good to know they are working on them

19. Black_Byrd

@Sheila_33: Thank you. Hoping it updates tomorrow. If not I know the adjusted update is coming. I’m stoked. I called them again because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I barely caught that amended return on time. The deadline for amended returns for 2015 was April 15, 2019. I mailed it in certified on April 13. :-)

20. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft

Just an FYI…..Per IRS manual. Examiners have 10 days after receiving Form 4549 to close exam. manual reference 4.63.4.2.2

21. Kyle23

@Kyle23: @Black_Byrd: sorry one quick question. What date did it show your amended return received by the irs?

22. Kyle23

@Black_Byrd: Hi I just actually called. All the person said was it’s been assigned and is being worked on. Congratulations to you though. I will just keep watching

23. Black_Byrd

@Kyle23: How are things looking on your end? Try calling them and see if you get someone nice. Your As of date is earlier than mine. Maybe you’ll update tomorrow? My transcript should update tomorrow. I was told mine was adjusted yesterday July 10th, but I can’t see it on my transcripts until tomorrow because I am a weekly. Crossing my fingers for you!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: Oh that’s great news!!!

25. Black_Byrd

I call the IRS every other week. I usually call and tell them that I can’t get my status on WMAR about my amended return. Usually I get the same “It takes 16 weeks to process an amended return”… Today the IRS worker told me that my amended return just adjusted yesterday July 10th. I cant see it on my transcripts yet because I am a weekly. I should see it tomorrow. She told me that there are no pending letters or examinations or anything. I will double check on my transcript tomorrow. This is for a prior year return, so I will be receiving a check if everything goes smoothly. I will update about my transcripts tomorrow. My as of date stayed at June 10th from the beginning. I mailed in that return on April 13, 2019

26. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, RN 9001

@Sheila_33: hey I’m not sure when it updated. But I was stuck at April 15 for 2 months then june 27th, then July 8th(my birthday) now July 15th. I’m really hoping this is all good. Oh and my TA has changed 3 times already. (Weird)

27. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

finally received my Form 4549 ( the form you get to agree to the changes of the audit). Signed it and faxed it to my TA

28. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I have a tax advocate and the Congressmen involved so I’m hoping sooner rather than later

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: if you have an advocate, it can possibly be updated within a week or two since they will push it forward to be looked at. On its own, it may sit until someone can look at it and update it. Any additional information has to be manually processed, and this time of year they are swamped with amended and injured spouse returns, all needing to be manually addressed.

30. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: How long does it usually take for your stuff to update once you have sent in the income verification?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Matt B: I know a couple of months ago, injured spouse returns were behind but I think someone earlier this month mentioned they were told 16 weeks to process.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Houston$trong: Did that date move today? Not normal, but possibly a good sign things are moving manually behind the scenes.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Irspayup: Yes, they are sent first class. Usually takes around 3 to 5 days to receive.

34. Matt B

What is this year’s actual timeline for injured spouse? I efiled on 4/14 and was accepted 4/14. It’s been 13 weeks and it’s says still being processed. Any ideas? 15 weeks? 20 weeks? A year? Seriously need the money.

35. Irspayup

Can someone tell me when will
    I receive my check if it was sent
    Out on a Monday? And are the checks mailed first class?

36. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • TT 152, RN 9001

Well my as of date. Moved to July 15th

37. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

If I call the examination department will they fax me the letter?….Just want to see if anyone has been successful with this before I wait on the phone for two hours just to be told no lol

38. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

My TA called yesterday and told me the IRS sent a letter July 1st for me to sign asking if I agree to the changes. I haven’t got it yet but she told me to sign and fax it over to her by the 22nd and she will call me again on August 5th. If i ever get the letter ( its been a week since they mailed it) I am going to fax it to both her and the IRS

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Yellowrose: Go the Irs.gov get forms and print out a 911 tax advocate request form, fill it out and fax to the number provided on the form. You should hear from them within a few days. Good luck!

40. BrokeBeyondPissed

@Sheila_33: I sure hope so but you have definitely given me some hope because when you speak things happen. lol. I will surely keep you updated and pray the next time I come back on here it’s to let you know of my 846 and to pay my tithes and offerings. LET THE CHRUCH SAY AMEN!!!!!!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@BrokeBeyondPissed: i think it’s a good sign since she gave you a call back date.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Taxbae😭: i would definitely be frustrated if I was in your shoes. Hopefully, with her sending a request to release they will do just that.

43. BrokeBeyondPissed

UPDATE: Just got a missed call from my TA and she said the dept that is supposed to expedite the amended return had until Friday to get back with her and has yet too. She said that she sent a expedited request to them to have it processed and if they don’t respond back to her she is going to get her supervisor involved. She’s going to call me back on the 22nd or sooner and hope to have the issue resolved now by 7/31/19…My baby birthday is the 29th. I hate to have to go through ALL of my kids birthday and still be waiting for MY money.

44. Taxbae😭

@Sheila_33: I’ve called several times I get a different answer per representative today a lady told me she would send a email to the service department to either release my refund or send me a notice with an updated status idk Im just so disappointed and pissed

45. jenniedoo87

@Black_Byrd: thanks, I been trying to see if they have taken out their fees yet but it shows nothing has been received as of yet

46. Black_Byrd

@jenniedoo87: SBBT never deposits early. I stopped using them, when I figured out that I could do my taxes on my own. literally they don’t seem to want to deposit until the day of. :-/

47. jenniedoo87

SBBT still haven’t received my refund…. my ddd is 7/10, looks like it’s going to be a long day.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Taxbae😭: have you called to see what’s going on? I would have thought in that length of time you would have seen something. Would the adjustment have offset the refund?

49. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

I sent in wage verification to my TA today. How long has it taken to get the refund after sending in verification to your tax advocate?

50. Taxbae😭

@Sheila_33: I still dont have my refund I thought it was all over when I got the cp12 notice that told me they adjusted my refund if I havent already received it I would in 4-6 weeks well…that was may 20th wth im just ready to give up!

51. Kyle23

@Black_Byrd: Hi this is Kyle 23. I’ve been waiting 3 months for my amended and my as of date has not moved from June 3rd. I would love to know if anyone that amended got their refund and the total time from mailing to getting refund. Good Luck!

52. DivaLisa from Florida

Does a referral from the IRS help you???? I called today and they said they’re putting me in for a referral and that I should be hearing something in the next 60 days….
    Anyone had a successful outcome with that. Just told they’re holding my refund no review or audit. Filed back in February 15th and been processed since April 30th… TIA

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Yellowrose: Have you tried faxing a 911 request advocate form in? In the past, it seems like people were getting a quicker response when requesting one with the 911 form?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: Happy to see you back, hope you’re doing well. Take it easy, and don’t overdo.

55. Flipflop

@Yellowrose: You’re being audited. It probably started because your wages/withholding were wrong on your original return. Did you amend to correct that? The 886-L shows what they need from you to verify your wages/withholding. When you sent in the amended, it goes to customer service to get processed. In the meantime, examination opened an audit. The audit is really about the wages/withholding but they audit you for everything on the return. Customer service cannot and will not process your amended because there is an open audit. They will forward it to examination. Unless you have the assistance of a taxpayer advocate, you may wait 4-6 months before anyone in examination looks at what you are going to send in.

56. Black_Byrd

Hello Everyone
    I’m back here lurking. I had to have emergency surgery to have my Gallbladder removed at 4 am the day after 4th July. Not sure why I came back to work today (just got released from the hospital Saturday evening).. except I am scheduled for Overtime and since the IRS is taking 4 months to process my 2015 amended return. I kind of need the money. @Sheila_33: is the resident ‘expert’… I just answer questions and give encouragement when I can. We all need it.

57. FloT

We finally got a date for our refund. We have been waiting since the IS was complete June 19 for a refund date. It had taken me two and a half hrs to reach someone in the injured spouse department just to find out when we’ll get our taxes

58. Yellowrose

I’ve tried calling all of the point of contact numbers given to me with the IRS and all are busy this morning. I have a specific number to call for my examiner. It shows the ID number as well of the person. I am still having a hard time getting an advocate. No call back no response for my request as well.

59. Yellowrose

The site Where is my amended return, now show’s that it was received. I received a latter from the IRS asking me to fax and mail in the following docs due to it now being under review again. I was asked to fax over the amended return, ” that they already have and show’s in the sys” To fax birth certificates of my children, lease that shows everyone’s name or a letter on letterhead from the leasing company with all the info. A copy of a Leger of showing proof that I paid my rent at the lease address for the 2018 year. Fax proof for forms, 886-L, 886-HEIC, 886H-HOH, and 886-H-DEP.

I was told that once this has been received, that they could only proc as a he info based off my assigned date of processing docs. That everyone is given a date of info processing and they can’t update anything until then.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: you might check in the bank forum and see if you can find anyone that had a similar card.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Carie B: If you have no offsets, I think its possibly just processing. The amended returns are taking awhile to process and they go in order of received unless you have an advocate to push it thru faster.

62. Carie B

I filed an amended return in April, it didn’t show until May 7. The site says still processing. I logged into my transcripts for my daughters college paperwork and was directed to a payment screen that wanted to set up payment plan, but have a $0.00 balance and I’m getting a refund on the amended return. Idk what this is about. But the info icon I clicked on says it’s being processed and will take 2 weeks. What is going on? Could it just be that it’s being processed and there’s no need to worry?? I have no offsets and there’s no issues that I’m aware of.

63. Ashley0913

@Sheila_33: thank you! I’ve waited so long!!! I was accepted 2/7 amended received 4/2 now DDD 7/10!!!! ❤️

@Ashley0913: Congratulations!!!

65. Kyle23

I am going to follow Shelia_33 advice and try to get a tax advocate for my amended refund. It was accepted April30th, but didn’t show up on tool till May 30th. My as of date is stuck on June 3rd. Just wondering what we’re other people’s experiences with amended returns this year. Would appreciate any help

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Alexis: Those cp05 are automated and kick out after a certain period of time. A few others have gotten them after receiving their refunds. I think you’re fine.

67. Rebecca L.

Filed our IS with our taxes electronically on 4/13. Still showing “Your taxes are being processed” on WMR app and over automated system. Tried to order our transcripts online and they couldn’t verify any of our three mobile numbers under our names, so we are now waiting for a code they are sending BY MAIL. REALLY? We have never had an issue with this entire process, the last two years we have filed the IS form. Two years ago, we filed IS after they took our refund, and it took the 8 weeks. We filed electronically last year and we received the refund exactly 11 weeks later. When attempting to call 800-829-1040, several times, even at the times the IRS stated to do so, I am unable to get through after getting update and hitting “0”. It just disconnects the call! Is there another number we can call?

68. Alexis

So on the where’s my refund website it says my refund was sent to my bank via direct deposit 6/28/19 then on 7/5/19 I receive two letters. Both dated 7/1/19. One is a cashiers check with my refund, the other is a letter from the irs saying my refund is being withheld. It’s a cp05 notice. Is it a mistake?

69. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • TT 152, RN 9001

@Sheila_33: thank you, and I’ll try

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: I think if it was me I would still try to request one via fax with a 911 form. It won’t hurt to try and all they can do is say no. I have seen a few others that have amended and gotten one but I’m not sure of the length of time they have waited before getting one.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bossnikki: last year mine was added to my refund and the total direct deposited. That’s odd. I think I would call and ask.

72. Kyle23

@Sheila_33: when I called they said I would have to wait 16 weeks as stated before I could apply for an advocate

73. Bossnikki

@Sheila_33: hi Sheila the interest that irs that was owed to us does it come separately by check it wasn’t included in my total refund amount

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Kyle23: The date has stuck because someone manually needs to get it back into processing again. With an amended, the return sits until someone takes it off the stack and works on it. Have you considered getting an advocate since its been over 60 days? Its possibly there’s nothing wrong, you’re just waiting your turn to be processed but an advocate can get it looked at sooner.

75. Kyle23

@Sheila_33: Sheila, my amended was received on April 30th. My as of date has remained at June 3rd. I’m a weekly. Should I be worried?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Houston$trong: Hopefully that date will push ahead next week but regardless, have a wonderful birthday and forget about this tax mess for the day.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Paycheckmommy: Congrats to you and thanks for the info. This year has been miserable with those 570 codes.

78. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • TT 152, RN 9001

I meant to say and so is my as of date.. 😬

79. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • TT 152, RN 9001

Welp! My birthday is July 8th, and so is my birthday. Here’s to birthday wishes.

80. Paycheckmommy

I stalk this page every year just to keep my mind at ease . I finally got my DDD 7/10 !!! I filed in February & got a 570 code . Filed an amended & now it’s over !! This was the worst tax year everrrrrr !!

81. Starting new 2020

If I just purchased a brand new car can I add that to my taxes for next year?

82. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: I’m hoping that is the case because I’m not sure that this ex employer is going to give us the letter head that they requested. We have the W2 but we have been telling this guy since March that he is the reason we haven’t gotten our money and he keeps trying to find ways to blame us.

83. BrokeBeyondPissed

@Sheila_33: No, and my as of date is still 07/08. My TA is supposed to call me back on the 8th, so I’m hoping for some good news. They received my amended on 05/07. I will keep you updated.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@BrokeBeyondPissed: So hoping you’d see something. No date changes or anything?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: I think that’s a positive, they look like they are trying to resolve whatever issue there is and pushed the date ahead to get it taken care of. As long as that date is moving and not sticking and passing by, something is going on behind the scenes.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@queenie111: Lol, yes, I’m still lurking in the shadows.

87. unsure do they owe me funds

@Sheila_33 and Plain Jane: Thank you and yes basically I was not poss to owe at first then admen and then i owed they took out of my org refund so now i should be OK as in i don’t owe them they do not owe me from this year if i am understanding correctly

thank you thought my question would been confusing

88. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: Got another update this week but it only changed the as of date from July 8th to July 22nd