When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

Any transcript updates?

2. Ashley0913

Good evening guys…. here’s my story.. I filed 2/7…570 code…I amended 4/2…. still haven’t received my refund… called the amended line yesterday and the gentleman was very nice and totally flabbergasted at the situation and just kept apologizing (because it’s their fault)… he told me it finished processing Monday and according to my codes I’m a weekly… should I update this week or next?

3. Ashley19

Has anyone filed an amended return around the end of April and gotten their refund? I had someone tell me it took only a month for them to get it. Does that sound right? Mine shoe received on the tool April 30th but don’t show at all on transcripts. I just don’t know what to think

4. Jenniedoo

@Sheila_33: thanks so much. I just believe that it showed up today. I was like let me check it anyways and there it was my transcripts updated. With that beautiful code

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: Congrats to you!

6. Katasha2516

Hello everyone I am just writing to get an insight on others views. I filed my taxes on June 19th 2019. I had an offset do I waited until I cleared it before filing. I am still on being processed with one bar and waiting to see am update.

7. Jenniedoo

Omg y’all you would not believe this but I just checked my transcripts on a holiday and it got a code 846. I am shocked that it changed I was going to look tomorrow morning. So I have a date for 7/10. In so happy and I would’ve have been able to focus if it wasn’t for this group.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: If the case was closed and then the info manually entered in time, then the return should auto process today and update tomorrow on transcripts. Good luck!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@NicoleF: Did you fax the request for an advocate? After processing for awhile, you are eligible for one. There have been quite a few on here that were eligible after processing for over 60 days, without a hardship.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Londa: Happy 4th of July to you.

11. Jenniedoo

My fingers are crossed for tomorrow that my transcripts update. Because today is a holiday I’m praying that it doesn’t effect my transcripts. They closed my case on 6/28.

12. NicoleF

@Sheila_33: Thank you for your response. I did contact a tax advocate a couple of weeks ago but they advised me that I do not qualify for their services. So I guess I’m stuck waiting..

13. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: We have a W2 but the TA said that we need income verification from the employer that he needs to fill out something with his letter head and send it to us so that we can send it to the TA along with the W2

14. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@KDUECE: The TA is the one who told me we need Income verification. One of his W2s is not showing up on his wages transcript. I filed it on his taxes but they still don’t see it in the computer from his ex employer. The guy is trying to blame us any chance he gets but the TA confirmed it yesterday that he is why we have not received our taxes. The IRS kept telling us nothing was needed but the TA told us we need to do the income verification. But the guy has been being an asshole this whole time and even when we told him our tax advocate confirmed we needed to do income verification he still tried to get his way out of it by saying he called social security or some shit and they told him we didn’t put the W2 on the tax return and then we proved we did and all he could say was yes I got the picture. He’s giving us the run around. My husband only made $2000 with this guy last year. It’s the dumbest thing ever.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Victoria Rome: You can call the Irs and request a 4852 form and that will replace the w2 from the employer. Basically, just a form that you fill out with your wages, sign it, and fax back in and the Irs will accept it as a form of income verification.

16. KDUECE

@Victoria Rome: I was in your boat. My boss finally called after about 4 months and they told him nothing was need but continued to tell me I needed income verification. Got a tax advocate at about 5 months after filing and got my refund before the advocate called me. Advocate a week after my refund. All the answers you get are the answers I recieved. Advocate expressed to me in an exhausted demeanor “we are sooo backed up” Guys you’re gonna get generic answers. I guarantee you this is just a waiting game. I promise

17. Missypooh

My refund amount and tt152 for about 3 weeks woke up this this Morning with tt152 back. Any idea on what’s going on?

18. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Sheila_33: Sheila if the employer that we need income verification from is giving us the run around what can we do?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@unsure do they owe me funds: If I’m understanding you amended while the original return was being processed and now they’re stating that the w2 that was included in your income is causing you to owe them? If the income from the w2 was a considerable amount, it could have caused you to pay taxes on it even after deductions.

20. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft

@unsure do they owe me funds: the form for the amended return (1040x) assumes you have already gotten your original return so it usually appears as if you owe but really they just subtract that amount from your original return and thats what your new refund should be so if your original says $5000 and your amended says you owe $500 your new refund would be $4500…..I hope this makes sense

21. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

Hello everyone. This whole time it has been wage verification even though the IRS told us to just wait.

22. unsure do they owe me funds

Hi everyone i have a fast question if i had forgot one of w2 and and they fixed it after i amended the return but they lower my refund said i owe them which make no sense if i filed with Dep. how would i owe them and my w2 i for made me have more income

i hope i was not confusing in question i asked and some may be able to help me understand should i be expecting another part of my return from them or after they lower my refund that is it?

23. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

@Sheila_33: i Hope so. The representative stated the letter will go to the TA who should then send to me but I hope thats not the case

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Plain Jane: You should receive a letter to sign yourself, since you will be the one agreeing to the changes. Hopefully, you’re getting to the end of this.

25. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

Hey Ya’ll. So I called the examination department and I was told that my case was worked and and my advocate should be getting a 525 letter seeing if I agree to the changes made….the thing is I havent been able to get in contact with my advocate in May…Will they also mail me the letter when they send it to the advocate? Atleast with that I can sign in and fax it back myself

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: If it has been manually entered, then it should still auto process tomorrow and transcripts should update Friday

27. Jenniedoo

@Black_Byrd: thanks , I’m hoping that with it being closed tomorrow will my transcripts update Friday. But my fingers are crossed. I’ll let everyone know Friday morning

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: It may cause some delay but I’m thinking they may just do an elongated day for Friday. Let me check the Irs calendar.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@NicoleF: Its possibly it could drag on another 60 days if there is a issue that needs to be resolved. If you haven’t contacted a tax advocate, you may want to consider it since an advocate can get you answers and help you resolve whatever the issue is. Fax a 911 tax advocate request form to the number provided on the form and an advocate should contact you within 3 to 5 days. At least that way you will know what the problem is.

30. BrokeBeyondPissed

@Southern Moma: Congratulations and again thank you. It’s no problem I was just trying to get different times to see what’s the ball park figure. But I’m in week 4 now so I’m excited to get this over with.

31. Southern Moma

@BrokeBeyondPissed: I am sorry I was not very clear here is my time line: Filed 1/29/19; Accepted 1/29/19; went into 60 day review 2/15/19; Contacted & received a TA on 5/2/19; Amended return 5/19/19; approved & released on 6/21/19 and I received my refund today 7/3/19. Hope this may help. Good lick to you this has been a LONG tax year!

32. Black_Byrd

@Jenniedoo: Keep us updated. I think mine will drag on for the full 16 weeks. Why? because it’s an amended return for 2015. So it’s not a priority to them. I’m hoping to see a “good news” post from you Friday. If not it’s coming! :-)

33. Jenniedoo

@Black_Byrd: that’s the same thing I was thinking too :( but I’m hoping that we still update

34. Black_Byrd

@Jenniedoo: I also just thought about how the holiday will affect transcripts this week. Not sure. @Sheila_33: thoughts?

35. NicoleF

Hi, my taxes were accepted 2/17. I received an letter stating my refund was under review starting 3/25 for 60 days. I was told there was something wrong with my 2016 tax year. I never received a letter to correct anything. I spoke with the IRS today and the lady told me that I am under another 60 review starting 7/1. My taxes are being offset but I was told the money was already taken for that. Anyone else have this issue? Do I have to wait another whole 60 days??

• RN 9001, Weekly

@jessica: you definitely need to call and see what’s going on. If a refund was issued then if it was unable to direct deposit or if a check was mailed and was unable to be delivered then enough time has passed for them to reissue.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RS: If you do not have a tax advocate you need to fax a 911 form in and request one and when the advocate calls you need to stress you have a hardship. An advocate can move the process along and get you some answers.

38. Jenniedoo

@Black_Byrd: I’m praying so much because I have so much going on. I’ll be up early Friday morning because I just want to see code 849 with a date.

39. Black_Byrd

@jessica: That’s not a check day. May 30 was on a Thursday. Did you have an offset? It’s been a month. You need to call the IRS. What does your WMR status say?

40. jessica

Hello, I filed IS March 1st and it was received March 14th. I’ve called multiple times and been told to wait different amounts of time for more processing. I called yesterday July 1st to check the status of my refund, I was told refund approved and issued May 30th. I still have not received my check in the mail. Should I be worried?

41. Black_Byrd

@Jenniedoo: crossing my fingers for you on Friday then. Weeklies process on Thursday I believe and the transcript updates on Friday. If your file was completed on June 28th, I think you have a good chance of updating Thursday night and see transcripts on Friday. Good Luck to you. Looks very promising! :-)

42. Black_Byrd

@Jenniedoo: Are you weekly or daily? If you are weekly your transcripts should update on Friday. If you are daily it could be any day of the week.

43. RS

My refund was taken for my wife’s bill with overpayment to social security, Feb 11, we have joint account, she barely made a thousand dollars, I got my pension, paid my taxes, and now because of joint account took My expected refund, mailed form 8739 March 15, got letter 2645C telling me 60 days was need to send a complete response on what action they are taking it has been 41 days, I called irs says an agent is assigned.. When will I get my money back? Having a financial emergency now because of the delay

44. Jenniedoo

I called this morning and was told that they closed my case on 6/28. But he didn’t see a refund this week. But I should get my refund next week. I hope that’s true, and my transcripts update this week.

45. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Holly: send in the 911 form. We do not qualify for a tax advocate either but because we filed 1/31 and it had been so long you shouldn’t need to be in hardship to get one. The sooner you get one the better. I’ve gotten three 60 day review letters and it is up July 16th. But I probably won’t be getting it then either unless my congressmen or tax advocate do something about it. The IRS keeps giving us the run around. I’m over it.

46. Angry_mami

I received a letter with adjustments and asked to sign and return if agreed

I sent in forms for my 3 year old and 7 month old
    However, the examiner did not give me my child credits

Why ???

47. Holly

@Victoria Rome: We haven’t gotten anything either. We are in another 60 day review and was told to keep checking between now and July 16th. Our review date will be over July 16th. When we check WMR, it keeps saying it’s being processed. We dont know whether to wait till this 60 days is up or not to call a tax advocate. From what I’ve been reading, we wouldn’t qualify for a TA. Who do we complain to about the IRS? We’re a family of 3 living with his parents. We planned on moving out with that money. Ugh, this is frustrating. I heard a rumor about users to filed through TurboTax and it’s like they already took the money and their leaving us to fend for ourselves. I’m glad we’re not alone.

48. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Black_Byrd: we are due to take my daughter to Disney for the first time August 12th. I haven’t been on a vacation in 10 year myself so I’m really hoping to get this money soon so that we can go with zero worries

49. Black_Byrd

@Victoria Rome: I feel your pain. I just want to know that they’ve done something or at least see on my transcript that the amended return has been filed. I understand the 16 week wait. But it’s insane that some IRS workers are way behind while others get them done quickly. The weeks are hammering by and I’ve been told the IRS has until August 12 to process my amended return. That’s the day after the 16 week mark. So we will see. Coming to this site helps me keep my sanity. I’m just hoping I get the money before my grandkid comes in September. I’ll be getting a check because this is an amended return for 2015. I call once every 10 days or so to check on it. And they give me the same answer every time. 16 weeks.

50. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

Another week gone. Maybe some more of us can get our DDD this week.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Cassio: Go to Irs.gov get forms and print off a 911 tax advocate request form and fax to the number provided at the bottom of the form. An advocate might give you some insight on how you might be able to resolve it, especially if its a hardship and you need your refund.

52. Cassio

Please help!!! If I filed 2018 taxes but not 2017 and they’re holding my 2018 until I pay 2017. Can I setup a payment plan to get my 2018 refund released?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Angry_mami: It may just be a letter informing you that your documentation was received. Do you have an advocate? An audit can be resolved quicker if you have one. Audits go in order of received so you could possibly be in for a wait if you don’t have an advocate. They can push it to the front of the line instead of going in order.

54. Angry_mami

@Sheila_33: the lady on the phone would not explain to me what it was they are sending out again to me she just told me to wait … I’ve been waiting since January
    May Received letter for audit so I sent all documents they asked for
    Called to see what was up and was told to wait …

55. Houston$trong
      Tx
      Turbo card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, RN 9001

Hey everyone been a long minute.. as of went from June 20 to June 27th hoping for update soon🙉🙈

56. Jenniedoo

@Mommyof3: I got that letter on the 17th and faxed it in the same day before 5:00est so I’m hoping that someone has seen it and will be closing my case this week. I’m happy you had someone close you case so quickly.

57. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: I received that letter Thursday and my ta called me and said except to receive it on the 10th but I could receive it on the 3rd so I checked yesterday and there it was it depends on when they actually close it out for me they were doing everything in 24hrs…for instance I sent in my paper work 24hrs later my ta called n said they accepted it I called the exam Dept they said call your ta and have her fax it n I sign my left her a message that night she called the next morning n faxed it..I called ta line two days later and they said it was close

58. Jenniedoo

@Mommyof3: oh ok. I wish I could show you the bottom of a letter that I got that’s say “IT TAKE APPROXIMATELY 2 WEEKS AFTER WE RECEIVE YOUR FORM 4549 & CLOSE YOUR CASE FOR YOUR REFUND TO GO OUT OF PENDING”

59. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: hope so to…but just to inform u my bars are back but no tax topic so that 152 is not always an indicator everything on the left is there DDD of 7-31 and the tax yr date

60. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yessssss. I do and that u I knew u were going come out of hiding today

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: I see you got that magic 846. Congrats hun. I’m kind of lurking in the shadows right now lol.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Just waiting for an update…: The 971 code applies to a lot of things, it could possibly be a letter sent informing you of the changes.

63. Jenniedoo

@Mommyof3: oh wow so I hope I get someone to close my case soon because I faxed my paperwork back on 6/17 and when I called on Thursday morning I was told it’s in the process of closing. I don’t have a tax topic just the amount and being processed. I keep checking wrm and my transcripts daily even though I’m a weekly so I praying I get a update on next Friday with my transcripts.

64. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: I fax the form back to them on the 18th they close the case out on the 20th no my transcripts did not update until yesterday which was the 28th and my bars just came back this morning nothing had updated until yesterday

65. Jenniedoo

@Mommyof3: did you have an audit and if so how after you sent the information back in did your transcripts change? I faxed my agreement to the changes on 6/17 and they say it takes 10 days before it shows up in their system. Did your bars come back before you got a date?

66. Jenniedoo

Does anyone know how long does it really take for your transcripts to update after you fax the paper that says you agree to the changes? I faxed mines back in on 6/17 and wondered if I will get a update next week on my transcripts

67. Ashley2972

@Marge: I just don’t understand why this is happening and why is it so hard for them to give me my money back. I’m so sick and tired of waiting on my money. After all, it is my money, it came from my paycheck, the majority of what I am receiving is not from eic, it’s from what they held out, and I can’t even get it back!! They sure didn’t have a problem holding it out!! Ridiculous!!

68. Just waiting for an update...

Received a second TC971 on today’s updated transcripts. Both say injured spouse claim received. Any insight why I have two 971 codes? We didn’t send in a second one and I haven’t called about my taxes.

69. Londa

Okay got a phone call from My congressman tax advocate. She called me said my tax Advocate sent in all my paperwork and she has given the examination department until the 5th if July to release my refund. The congressman tax Advocate told me I sent in all information they needed to close my case and issue refund. She told me after they release my refund it takes 2 more weeks for system to remove hold codes and issue a release code. She told me not to worry everything looks fine and I should receive a refund by July 19 2019

70. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Southern Moma: it’s terrible. They keep giving us the run around and saying just wait

71. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

@Southern Moma: we have a TA named Ricardo. And the congressmen in my area is Cedric Richmond. I live in Terrytown. I’m not sure what else there is to do at this point. This is insane. Only thing new is my fiancé claimed our daughter for the first time. But that is not what we are told is the problem.

72. Southern Moma

@Victoria Rome: I was in the same situation as you and I am in Louisiana. I have an amazing Tax Advocate in New Orleans – Cedric Jones (504) 558-3001. See if you can get him. He took care of everything for me within a month. He returns my calls & called me this morning that my refund was released and I will have my refund on July 3, 2019. Did you contact Congressman Garret Graves?

73. Marge
      Missouri
      Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, RN 9001, TC 570, TC 971, 5071C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Victoria & Ashley, that’s pretty much the EXACT same situation as me as far as my transcript and letters go.

74. Ashley2972

@Victoria Rome: My situation is exactly the same as your Victoria, except I filed Feb 19 accepted same day. Same here July 8 is my as of date and on transcripts it’s missing w-2, not sure why when the company says they have all been turned in and everyone else at the company has gotten their taxes. I’m also in Lousiana and can’t get any help from anyone. And just like you, they say we don’t qualify for a ta. Our first review was up May 23rd, then got another review, now it’s just absolutely nothing! I don’t understand why they are having such problems this year, nothing has changed on my return from previous years. And I don’t understand if they are missing a w2, why can’t I send the one I have from the company to the IRS and let them see that it is there and they can figure out why it isn’t showing up in their system. I have never had to wait this long for my taxes, the longest was a few years ago and that was only a few weeks late due to education credit. But this is almost July and still nothing. This is just such BS! This is been the worst tax season ever! It is really becoming ridiculous that we are having to wait this long. @Victoria Rome:

75. Victoria Rome
      Louisiana
      Capital One

Submitted 1/31
    Accepted 2/1
    Bars disappear a few days later
    March 18th first 60 day letter
    May 22nd second 60 day letter
    June 10th third 60 day letter that the system doesn’t even see
    June 17th Congressmen gets involved only to never call back with updates
    June 18th gets a TA assigned after telling us we didn’t qualify and TA never calls still can’t get in touch with them
    June 21st as of date moves to July 8th
    June 28th zero updates on transcript, from the congressmen, and still haven’t spoke to our TA

Louisiana is so ridiculous I can’t even get my congressmen to do anything. I feel at a stand still here. The IRS is saying a W2 is missing but I can’t fix that if they won’t even let me. I keep being told they will call the employer. Idk what else to do

76. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Marge: my transcripts where 2 pages😂😂😂😂

77. Marge
      Missouri
      Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, RN 9001, TC 570, TC 971, 5071C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Mommyof3: Awwww sweets, I’m sooooo happy for your beautiful face!!!! Congratulations!

78. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Flipflop: you said it thank thank u

79. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Bossnikki: yes he will I’m so happy it’s over

80. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Walt – no update, no ddd, no anything:

I had a ta she didn’t start of great but she ended up getting better and was on it

81. Walt - no update, no ddd, no anything

@Mommyof3: Congrats!!
    Did u ever get a TA or you just waited it out?

I am STILL waiting on an update and a ddd. I filed and was accepted Jan 30 and I’ve been stuck on “still being processed” ever since. I id verified on March 7th and was told the hold was lifted, but NOTHING.
    My transcripts keep coming in the mail blank, I never got any letters in the mail, only to id verified and I haven’t called to stalk them and find out what’s going on. I just know that I’m a weekly and hope for a nice update tomorrow morning.

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting