When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live

1. Kyle23

Has anyone filed an amended return and got their refund yet? If so when did you mail it. Just wondering because I have no idea what to expect

2. Katrina26

Hi everyone! I finally got my 846!!!! Since January omg finally. I hope everyone else gets one soon. My question is my 846 is dated the 12th, but I amended my return bc I left out a W2 the first time. Will it be sent in the mail on the 12th, can I expect it in my mailbox on the 12th? What’s the 12th mean? I originally used TurboTax and filed online but amended thru the mail. Thanks y’all

3. Jenniedoo

@Sheila_33: I paid for this tax audit from TurboTax and they saying until I get a new letter saying that they need more information they can’t do anything. How do I get a TA

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Jenniedoo: Without an advocate it can take 4 or more months after they receive your information.

5. Familyof6

Hi anybody verified in person yet?? And how long did it take for a check my refund response?? Thanks in advanve

6. Jenniedoo

I filed 1/20, verified my identity 2/10, 60day review letter 3/18, audit letter 5/8 and sent all the information in on 5/10 got a letter on 6/6 saying they will review my information by 8/8/19 . I spoke with the irs today and my rep said that they are on Early April now so by the time they get to my response it should be before Aug. how long after do most people get there refund.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Looking for answers: When was the last time you had contact with an advocate?

8. BrokeBeyondPissed

@Black_Byrd: I mailed the first one 5-24 and it was recv’d on 5-28 (this one is on file) but the others were mailed on 5-28 mailed and recv’d on 6-1 and the corrected one was mailed on 6-4 and recv’d on 6-7. Neither of the last two has been posted.

9. MichelleK

I’ve been reading comments for months.. Here waiting with y’all.
    Filed and accepted Jan. 28th.
    Many calls to IRS and they never needed anymore information. Reason they said was because we added another child to our taxes and it’s been 10 years since a child was added. 🙄
    So last they told me was I will receive it by August 15th.

10. Black_Byrd

@BrokeBeyondPissed: Isn’t it funny how the “posting” of your amended return all depends on the IRS worker that “received” it.

What years did you amend?

11. BrokeBeyondPissed

Does anyone know the number for the amended return intake line? They received and posted my first one within days but I had to send 2 more and I still don’t see those.

12. Looking for answers:(

I signed for mine March 19. It was initially rejected due to an error ( I am divorced first time filing on my own, he kept the house and with that went the home buyers credit.but the IRS needed the paper stating such) and my tax preparer had to resubmit it.with that information)

It was accepted and the first initial time frame came and went so I called the 1st time and told I need to wait 8weeks and then had to wait until May 21st.

So that came and went so I called the 2nd time and that one couldn’t tell me what was happening …he could see it but nothing was happening … Then asked me for my phone number and said they would call me… No one did.
    Then I called I tried a local tax advocate and they said someone would call me back in 5 days and that itself has been bad too cause now it has been two weeks and nothing no call back never heard back from them.

Then I called the 3rd time to the IRS June 5th. Which now says they are working in it and I should be patient and give then 8 more weeks.with yet another estimated date.

So I called again the tax advocate the one on the IRS website not the local one they we’re able to get me a case number and phone number from the Advocate herself which I NEVER received from the local one. BUT STILL NO REFUND INFORMATION!!!

It has been 5 months and I am sorry but I have been patient .. but seriously!!! :'( :'(

13. Iris

@Black_Byrd: It was June 3rd and had been sitting there for about 3 weeks. I called my TA on June 4th, she called me back June 5th to tell me that everything was verified and that if I didn’t have an update by June 17th she would call me back at that time.

14. Black_Byrd

@Iris: What was your “as of” date? before you got the 846. I imagine it might have changed?

15. SickOfTheIRS

@Black_Byrd: yes mam I can see them but nothing’s been happening on them just an as of date of 6/3. Not even acknowledging the amended yet

16. Vrome

@Black_Byrd: I was given two 60 day notices that just state “give us some time there is nothing for you to do”. I haven’t been told to amend or that anything is wrong with the taxes at all. It has been over 130 days and I haven’t seen a new code on our transcript since 3-18-2019. I have now sent in a 911 form and contacted my congressmen because they literally haven’t touched our taxes since March and we filed January 31st. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with in my life but if you don’t pay them on time they will take everything from you

17. Black_Byrd

@SickOfTheIRS: Can you see your transcripts? I’m wondering if you have any Amendment filed codes? Trying to see a pattern. I think they just don’t put the codes on until they start processing. Because I cannot understand why a return sits for 9 weeks without doing any kind of processing at all. If I knew it was actually processing I’d feel better about the 16 week wait. But instead my guess is they will let it sit… then I will call on August 12, and they will say they’ll put in a “referral” and I will have to wait another 30 days after that. My grandchild comes in mid September. I was hoping to have it by then so I could plan that trip early and save expenses, but not with the IRS.

18. Iris

@SickOfTheIRS: Yes Unbelievable!!! I wonder if you could change TA’s. I keep saying “worse tax year ever” and after all the waiting I only received 37 bucks in interest, lol!!!! what a joke….

19. SickOfTheIRS

@Iris: lucky, blessed you… filed original return 1/30, also received by IRS 1/30….return still processing 2/16, got TA late February/ sent amended 4/8, IRS received 4/11……nothing since then…..just Unbelievable

20. Vickylou
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863)
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I’m 5.2 seconds from snapping this whole year has been horrible and the irs isn’t making it better.

21. Year00

@FedUpMom: 8008290922
    U have to have that letter I believe it’s the cp05 or something I cant remember that has the temporary pin and itll let u create a new one

22. Dee

I am under review have refrence number 1242 got a letter said should be reviewed by July 15th. Any one else get the review

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Ricki727: You can call the Irs and request a 4852 form that you can fill out and submit since your company shut down.

24. Genn

Okay so…

I was a victim of identity theft and so I didn’t file my 2017 taxes until February 2019. I waited the regular six weeks, then receive the letter to verify my identity on week 7. I completed ID verify over the phone or April 9 and was told I had to wait 9 weeks before I receive my refund. Today the 9 weeks are up and I called to speak to a representative and she informs me that now my taxes are in that identity theft department and that I will need to wait another few weeks SMH.

25. Bossnikki

@misscazz: im so sorry that has happened have you called and asked to speak with your advocates supervisor

26. misscazz

my family and I just got evicted. I have been waiting on my taxes to hit and still nothing. I filed in January and I’m still at your refund is being processed. I wonder could o sue the IRS for my hardship. I been in contact with them and my advocate said I would have my taxes a month ago and shortly after that I was put under another 45 day review. Lord have mercy is all I can say.

27. Bossnikki

@Sheila_33: you are the tax refund question guru you’re the best will keep you posted

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Iris: So from the time you filed the amended to the date of your refund was approximately 4 weeks with the help of the advocate, is that correct? Trying to get a general idea how long its taking to get these amendeds processed. Not surprised about the Wmar site, it can be as unreliable as the wmr site at times.

29. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Iris: Thank you!! I am happy for you!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bossnikki: If you have an advocate, then they should start processing it soon. Watch for a 977 to pop up on the transcript to let you know its received.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@DFrank: Definitely. If the company is not working with you, I definitely would.

32. Iris

@Black_Byrd: Your’re welcome!!! On WMAR it states that my information is currently unavailable in this application.blah,blah,blah! and no I didn’t receive a letter at all.

33. Iris

@Vickylou: honestly I don’t know when. I did send the amended return overnight on May 2nd and my advocate called me on May 7th or 8th asking me if I had sent it because I faxed her the copy as well. I told her yes and that it should have been there May 4th and she said that it must “STILL” be in the mail room, lol!!!!!
    But again I am not sure and when I check where is my amended return, nothing pops up there.
    I hope you receive some positive news soon!!!!

34. Black_Byrd

@Iris: Thank you. Does your WMAR say adjusted? It seems that the IRS is doing Current year amendments right now. Did you receive an adjustment letter?

35. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Iris: Was your amended put in the system the 21st of May because if so mines was put in May 20th and I can’t see jack

36. bre

@Robyn Bouch: wow i think i should do the same thing. i called the IRS this morning and wasn’t helpful at all. she told me to give them 60 more days. thinking about doing what you did. but how did you do it? help

37. Iris

@Black_Byrd: Not at all:
    807-Reduced or removed W-2 or 1099 withholding-04/15/2019
    290-additional tax assessed-06/24/2019
    971-amended tax return or claim forwarded for processing-05/21/2019
    977-amended return filed-05/21/2019
    971-noticed issued-06/24/2019
    846-refund issued-06/12/2019
    776-Interest credited to your account-06/24/2019

Hope this helps!

38. Black_Byrd

@Iris: If you don’t mind me asking. What codes showed up this past Friday? I’m wondering if it’s because this is an amended return for a prior year.

39. Iris

@Black_Byrd: I’m weekly and I filed my amended return on 05/02/2019 it was received the following week I’m sure. My transcripts didn’t update till 06/07/2019 with codes. But up until then I had nothing but the 570 code and the generic codes, mind you I filed in January. Craziest tax year ever!!!

40. Mikeren

I filed a couple past years tax returns and I swear I filled them out right and should have been owed a refund, yet they are telling me I owe them, the question I have is, does new tax reform affect past tax returns due to different taxes and such

41. Miker

42. Black_Byrd

@Vickylou: It should say 977 amended return filed or something similar. @Sheila_33: I’m sure I’ve seen something posted about what it says, I’m at work and can’t look.

43. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: Do you know what code it should say?

44. Black_Byrd

When you know you’re a weekly but you keep checking your transcript for updates everyday. It’s for an amended return, but I still check. Literally my as of date is June 10, and NOTHING has been done. it’s been 8 weeks. And my transcript says nothing about an amended return being filed. I thought that all amended returns filed will show a code on the transcript as being filed… Once they post it as received.

45. Bossnikki

@Sheila_33: good morning.. The amended return was delivered to IRS on Saturday what happens moving forward

46. Devonta
      GA
      AmerisBank
      Take Action

@Tz99: check it yesterday evening

47. DFrank
      Tennessee
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Ok Ms Shelia : I was not able to get in touch with my advocate this morning. Should I just go ahead and file the w2 complaint with irs

48. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Devonta: ayeeeeeeee congrats!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Devonta: Congrats to you!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Shalonda: With it being a soft audit and you didn’t receive a cp75 it shouldn’t take that long. You have an advocate and that speeds things along. Your return goes to the top of the stack instead of waiting in order to be processed. As far as a guess how long it will take, I’m thinking possibly 2 to 3 weeks depending how fast the Irs reviews your info and puts you back into processing. After my audit cleared, it took around 2 weeks to cycle thru and update to a refund date.

51. Iris

@SickOfTheIRS: Wow, that’s a long time…..hopefully you will hear some good news soon!!!

52. Devonta
      GA
      AmerisBank
      Take Action

After being patient
    My WMR updated to June 12

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Robin Bouch: yes. We’ve seen 2 so far with refunds receiving interest.

54. Robyn Bouch

The big question is whether or not the IRS is paying the 6% interest owed to people that recieved their refunds after the 45 day deadline the IRS is suppose to follow!?
    I’m almost 2 weeks past the 5/30..
    I finally recieved a deposit date of 6/12. I filed 2/4 and had to go thru my congressman to get this problem fixed!

55. Shalonda

Well I sent in proof for my earned income credit I had to verify my kids are my kids I had the school send tax advocate the information does anybody know how long until I see movement.. tax advocate told me that’s all the irs needed and the audit should be closed after they get verification… does anybody knows how long this will take

56. CV

@Shalonda: no audit. Just a 45 day letter, then a 60 day letter. Talk to my TA she said nothing was wrong with my return “it’s was for income verification” and she said everything matched so she was going ask them to release it! A few days later, I have an update.. her words they are extremely backed up.

57. CV

@Vickylou: thank you! My TA did it as soon as I talk to her not even a week later boom an update! “Income verification”. I’ve never Had this problem, at least I know what to expect next tax season! It’s coming soon! She said they are very backed up

58. Shalonda

@CV: did they audit you where you had to send in proof of ur dependents I have tax advocate and I sent her my proof this week so they can close audit and refund my money

59. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@CV: I’m upset we aren’t twins still but I’m very happy for you lol

60. Undauntedbeauty
    • Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • RN 9001, TC 570, 5071C Letter, Weekly

Had I got pregnant the day I filed, I would be approaching my third trimester right now lmao. That just puts things in perspective. I could’ve made a human before getting a refund!!

61. Undauntedbeauty
    • Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • RN 9001, TC 570, 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sharon19: Really? Monday will be three weeks since the system still doesn’t see my AR. The only thing thing that changed is I now have a 424 and as of pushed out another week. My withholding was off and my AR fixed that so I’m not sure why the 424. We all know what the issue is.

62. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@CV: Congrats

63. Huntingtonbeachmomof4
      CA
      Turbo Tax Prepaid
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • 5071C Letter

My WMR updated today with bars! Woohoo!! DDD 6/12

64. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

So I guess the examination Dept is behind on sending letters it’s been three weeks and still no aduit letter

65. DFrank
      Tennessee
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Thanks . We were so close.

66. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@CV: Wait!!!! When did this happen?!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@DFrank: You can call an Irs rep and request that he file a w2 complaint. They will contact the company and request the w2 be provided in ten days. You can also a request a 4852 at the same time and can fill out the information from that w2 you have and send a copy of the w2 with the 4852 to the irs. The advocate should be able to help you. Someone dropped the ball somewhere and if they won’t provide a letterhead with the info the irs needs then they can respond directly with the irs when the request is made and be held responsible if they don’t comply.

68. CV

Update! Checked my WMR June 12th!
    F I N A L L Y! anyone still stuck get a TA! They will help!

69. DFrank
      Tennessee
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Ok I need help. TA called yesterday and said that the irs called my husbands job and they told them they didn’t take the amount of taxes out that they reported to us on the w2 . They also said that they didn’t take out taxes in 2017 . Which we have his w2 on the company website to download that says completely different. So what in the Sam sausage avocado dip is going on . I asked what in the world . TA says that is crazy it’s like someone has went in and erased all his tax information from the site but left the w2 to download . Ok so his company does not do letter heads so now we are in this round around the Rosie with the job TA andIRS who are saying if we can’t get this straight we are going on audit. This is not our fault. What do we do?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Nae Bae: i honestly don’t think there is a method to their madness this year. Hopefully you’ll hear something promising Monday. Good luck.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Heidi:if the amended processed as the original return then it will be direct deposited Wednesday or sooner depending on your bank.

72. Heidi

@Sheila_33: oh my goodness! Seriously! Oh what a relief. I amended and was under review, will it be sent out on the 12th? Or arrive then? Thank you so much. Seriously my day is made

73. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

Still no updates for me. Stuck on as of June 3rd… it’s been 30 days since our TA requested a release and was told to call back if we hadnt recieved our refund in those 30 days. So, we will be calling Monday to see wtf is going on. I still dont know why we have a hold on our refund in the first place. Im so happy for those getting theirs finally! I know how annoying and frustrating this is, especially when you have no real answers as to why.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Heidi: Congrats!!! The 12th is your direct deposit date.

75. Heidi

Hi everyone!
    I’ve been waiting since mid January. I was under review and just checked transcripts and I have a bunch of codes. The one that stood out was 846- it says refund issued 6/12. But it’s not the 12th yet so is this accurate? I sure hope so. My 3yr old needs eye surgery and we’re waiting for this to schedule. Thank you everyone and god bless us all.

76. Vickylou
    • 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@CV: what does my 6-17-19 as of date mean

77. IRIS

@SickOfTheIRS: I’m sorry to hear that. do you have a tax advocate? I believe I would be in your situation without one. Also where is my refund updated this morning for me as well, to refund approved.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: thanks hun. I’m always eager to absorb new info. Too bad it’s not still in effect. That would help a lot of single parents.

79. Black_Byrd

@Sheila_33

Example—Earned income credit.

Even if statements (1) through (4) are all true and the custodial parent signs Form 8332 or a substantially similar statement that he or she won’t claim the child as a dependent for 2018, this doesn’t allow the noncustodial parent to claim the child as a qualifying child for the earned income credit. The custodial parent or another taxpayer, if eligible, can claim the child for the earned income credit.

Just posting in case you didnt want to scroll all the way down. It’s annoying and slow

80. Black_Byrd

@Sheila_33: no I absolutely can. I read it on the IRS website. EIC only requires a qualifying child and not necessarily the child as a dependent. It didn’t change til 2018. Now you can no longer do it. I also called the IRS back and they explained that in 2015 yes I could.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Black_Byrd: that may be what’s going on then. Eitc is the credit for people who claim a credit for their dependents. If he filed them as his dependents in 2015 then you can’t claim the credit because you didn’t file them as your dependents. The other years you have and had no problem.

82. SickOfTheIRS

@Iris: wow….we sent our amended in April….April 11 to be exact….they received….still not showing on transcripts….

83. Iris

@SickOfTheIRS: yes they did update:
    570-04/01/2019