When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Justin
      TaxSlayer
      MO
      Green Dot
    • Premium Tax Credit 8962
    • Tax Topic 152

Is it a good sign that if u check ur 2017 refund status and it went back to showing tt 152 and it is being processed After it’s been in review for 6months

2. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6
      Ga
      Check
    • Weekly

Good morning I know it’s been a while working as of Saturday my information can’t be found had to amend have TA also local congress TA supervisor said irs has to have it processed by the 18th I wonder y I have no information none on wmar or wmr

3. lilred44 (15th)
      Missouri
      Netspend
    • Tax Topic 152

I’m baasck!!! Hi everyone!!!

4. 4thyearisacharm
      nc
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2

Just checking to see if I have a “star” since I “donated” last year!

5. Sheila*33

@Dede: I love bluebird from Walmart, have been using them for about 6 years and no issues and I usually get my refund 2 days earlier than DD date.

6. doneinDec,refundinMarch

guess its the long wait for eic and actc again,and we still have to pay the darn no insurance penalty?!really???!!!wonder when thgey will open to accept this year.

7. Mbry0625

Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

almost that time

10. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@jemar707: hey there! back at it!!!

11. jemar707
      Ally
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099
    • TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

here i go with a test comment… tuning up things…

12. jemar707
      Ally
    • TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

Hi all! I am getting back in the IGMR saddle!

I hope everyone had a great year and look forward to seeing y’all around soon!

13. Oriana

Hello igotmyregund family, hopefully we all have a good tax season this year. Let my anxiety set in…..

14. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

Hello Yall….. and we meet again lol. How is everyone doing??? Hoping for a smooth sailing this year…

15. Michigander80
      MI
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

GM everyone…Question is this the tax year upcoming where the EIC credit is doubled?

16. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

@Sheila_33: Yeah we’re still filing early. It is what it is, and it’s going to be what it is going to be.

17. Nicole

@Irsblues: I’ve had a lot of issue with my TA getting my faxes as well then miraculously “find them at the back of my file” when I tell them I will overnight them and the supervisor my fax transmittal info.

This tax year was a mess and I imagine 2018 will be even worse with all the new tax changes.

18. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I’m still,here just haven’t posted. Still no refund. Been in audit since this summer. I sent all My docs for EIC, head house and education credits on June 12, almost 6 months ago. Received a letter a month ago said I should expect to hear something by Nov 29 bug that has come and gone. Honestly believe that nothing will happen this year due to approaching holiday season with people taking off and those with loose or use leave. I had a TA over the summer but closed my case said I didn’t send paperwork when I know I did cause I had my fax transmittal as receipt.

They can just give me both 2017 and 2018 at same time at this point,

19. Joey The Moose

I finally got my Notice CP87A after all this time. Been waiting since the beginning of tax season when I couldn’t efile cause my son’s mom claimed him as a dependent when she shouldn’t have. I paper filed also claiming him and waited. December they sent me the notice… it’s so late in the year! I can’t get anyone at the IRS to talk to me or answer any questions. They say they’ll only answer question about this form during the tax season. I can guarantee you they’re answering her questions tho!! She always gets her way :-(

20. Nicole

Stillllllll waiting on my refund. My exam started in June, they have been fighting me over child care expenses. Sent in proof of payment for every.single.payment in 2017, my TA hopes to have it finished next week. So maybe I will get it before Summer of 2019 lol.

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@momdukes: Good to see ya. Seriously thinking I’m still going to file early again. If they’re gonna audit me again, I would just as soon be at the front of the line, lol.

22. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

Momdukes checking in ahead of the season here! I’ve been working like a Hebrew slave, but how is everyone doing?? Ya’ll smell them W2’s in the slow cooker?? 😆

23. Joy827

Thanks Sheila,
    I did call this morning anyways and they said they are reviewing for the month of APRIL. I sent my docs over the end of MAY.
    Also the agent told me if my account isn’t closed before the new tax season they will not issue me a refund for the 2018 year until 2017 has been reviewed and closed incase anyone else is still waiting like me…. Tax Advocate here I come

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@Joy827: It looks like they are going in order of being assigned to exam. I got the 420 code the end of January and sent in verification paperwork the middle of February, finally got my refund in June. A tax advocate may help speed it along if you haven’t gotten one yet.

25. Lalaa
      California
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

One more than to get to taxmas

26. Joy827

Does anyone one know the current time frame they are reviewing for the examination department?
    Thanks!

27. DivaLisa from Florida

Hello Everyone, I’ve been a member of this group for about 5-6 years now. I come every year and at times comment but mostly look at when it’s best to file and scenario of others filing. I just wanted to say last month I checked my mailbox around October 12th and I had a REFUND CHECK sitting in my mailbox for filing year 2016. I never got my money that year that’s when that PATH started and messed everybody up. I was just about to do my amendment on it and BOOM a check for over $11,***.00 was of interest over ($700). I literally fell to my knees and cried at the mailbox because I was at my last at the moment. I don’t know what happened but the system somehow processed me and refunded me without any proof sent to them of anything. So for those waiting it could happen at anytime even the following year. Just wanted to share that because we’re still getting refunds from 2016…smh

28. Nicole

@NeedAnswers: You can go to the tax preparer now and have them file an amendment for the missing w2! Definitely do not add it to your taxes next year.

29. NeedAnswers

Question:

Last year I forgot a w2 when I filled my taxes!! This year when I go to file my taxes should I add the W2 or can I go ahead and go to the tax preparer I went to last year and have them to submit my W2 I missed. Then in Feb file my new taxes?? Greatly Appreciate feedback!!

30. Nicole

I had to send in a record of payment for all my 2017 daycare expenses because apparently the 2017 statement the center provided was not adequate.

I have another call with the advocate on 12/4 so at this rate I should be getting my refund in 2020.

31. Black_Skinbyrd

What day does IRS normally mail checks? I’ve been told my check was being mailed today? but when I call the IRS its dated for a week from today?

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@Divo366: This is one of the worst years I’ve seen by far. I know some people are stuck in audit and that takes some time and its going in sequence unless you have an advocate but I’m also seeing a lot of people in review, something in the past that would have been reviewed and then kicked out or would have had an action code attached to it. I’m wondering now if a lot of people who are still stuck in review are now unpostable and have to be done manually and that’s what the hold up is.

33. Divo366

@Sheila_33: I just checked… and that’s a big, fat, NOPE. At this point, I barely check once a week, because it’s just laughable that I even still need to check in November. The funniest part is that if it’s not cleared up by the end of next January 2019, they don’t want anybody to file their 2018 taxes yet. Ha, I’ll just file like normal, and pretend I didn’t hear that advice. It’s not like they could delay next years any worse than this year’s already being delayed… of course, it is the IRS we’re talking about, I bet they sit in meetings every day to come up with new ways to delay, hassle and confuse taxpayers!

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

Any movement for anyone this morning?

35. Nicole

I faxed off some more documents for my exam today. They are trying to deny my child care credit *eye roll*.

On a side note, my tax prepares wife works for the IRS and claims they are so concerned with being “shut down” that workers are just shuffling work and pushing out so they have enough to do to keep their jobs. Not sure how legit that is but almost makes sense given the random delays a lot of us are having.

36. Divo366

@Deelady: Hey there… I’ve never posted here before, but I’ve been reading this blog since March, keeping up with everybody here.

I’m in the same boat as you… I filed on January 29th; then delay, delay, delay. Got the March ‘Do nothing but give us 60 more days’ letter, then another ’60 day letter’, then just nothing. I called once or twice (never worried about getting a TA), and they just said ‘well, nothing looks wrong, and there’s nothing you need to do’… I did randomly get a different type of ‘You don’t need to do anything but give us more time’ letter in the beginning of October, so we’ll see what happens. I only check my Transcripts on Fridays now (even though I’m actually daily, with 02), and it’s still on an As Of Date of July 2nd.

No idea what’s going on there (I’ve had the same kids for 7 years, the same jobs, and no other things that are any different this year), but I just wonder if it has something to do with the fact that my refund is pretty big, almost twice as big. But just the fact that they’ve told me multiple times, nothing is wrong, and there’s nothing to do. Oh well, good luck to any other folks still on here, and make sure to say hello when you guys get back on here in January, and we’re still here!!

37. Deelady

Just wondering, I filed my refund January 29th of this year…. still nothing! Still waiting! Got a letter saying 60 days I should here back I heard back by a letter on the 59th day only for them to add an additional 60 days (which will be 11/14) hoping to get a freaking deposit! Called and everything…. they are saying it’s nothing I need too do. Smh I need my money!

38. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

Hey y’all, filed in Jan, said we are processing your tax for months, had some money so I could wait, called them from time to time, they said in October it was a bankruptcy issue hold, bankruptcy said no hold, finally got a nice older black lady on phone in customer service, I told her I’m sick of this, she said let me cee, was on hold for 10 min, she said I’m releasing your refund, and now it’s in my bank week 1/2 later, keep bugging them!! Good wishes to all!

39. Sheila*33

@Stressed: Are you able to see the codes on your transcript at all? Was the letter wanting verification of dependents etc?

40. Stressed

I filled in Mar and was accepted a couple days later. Then in May had to go prove identity, got a letter in June stating they needed certain info so I faxed it, then in July got a letter saying they would let me.know by FEB 2019….wtf?????

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@Waiting patiently NC: It looks like they are going in sequence as far as the audits are concerned. Your transcript is the best way to tell what is going on with your return. Any changes on the “as of” date is a good indicator that they are working on your return. Even if you have to order them it might give you some insight on where you are at in processing.

42. Annoyed

My god these tax advocates are like big city public defenders, not worth the paper their student loan debt is printed on smh

43. Annoyed

I wonder if you get in these situations with the IRS and you are an actual employee do you get a discount on the bullsh*t they tell you throughout the process lol

44. Waiting patiently NC

Hi I was audit sent in everything. I received the letter to sign if I agreed with charges and should receive within 9 weeks.Once I send letter when should I be expecting refund and will it still be direct deposit or mailed

45. Nicole

@Jalisa not logged in: filed in feb, ID verified in late March. Got a TA in May after crickets from the IRS. Ammended with TA, got a letter stating my refund had been adjusted and would be sent to me within 3-4 weeks…..only to be sent to exams instead. I submitted all requested documentation in August and now they have finally responded. I have a call with my TA Nov 14 to discuss my options.

No EIC but I did file a schedule C for the first time ever.

46. Nicole

Finally got a response to my exam: another packet of documents requesting further proof of random things and wanting to cut my refund down to basically nothing. This will never end

47. Jalisa not logged in

I was on hold with the exams department for 2 hours and 2 minutes just to get disconnected is there a faster way ughhhh I been patient long enough this my first time calling since I sent all documents in 7/13/2018

48. Nika911

Now they tell me the last rep shouldn’t told me that and that my amended needs to be fixed. SMH I’m so over them period.

49. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

@Sheila_33: thank you so much 😀

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@domdee2: If it has been released then it will have to cycle through and update on your transcript with the 846 refund code. Usually Thursdays are when the returns for weeklys are processed with an update on transcripts on Friday and an update on wmr on Saturdays. It really shouldn’t take that long if the agent is correct in stating it has been released.

51. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

@Jalisa (Not logged in): under review, didn’t send no documents just waited it out

52. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

@[email protected]: no, what I’m asking is when they tell you over the phone that they releasing it how long do you wait to get it? Is it really 2-4 wks or shorter, thanks

53. [email protected]

@domdee2: if you have direct deposit on a prepaid card it should take a day or 2 if it’s direct deposit into your bank account it should take 2 or 3 business day’s if mailed paper check yes about 7 to 10 business day excluding weekend’s and or holiday’s

54. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

@Boobaby: how long did it take from the time they released it until you received it?

55. domdee2
      Pennsylvania
      Republic
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
    • Tax Topic 152

Hey, Okay, Question!! They finally release my refund been since Feb, a lady said it’s pending, will get 2-4 weeks, question is will it take that long?? Thanks for any help 😀

56. Reallyyyyreal

@Boobaby: Hi during the review did you have to send in information before they released funds???

57. Boobaby

Those of you that got reviewed months ago. I went thru the same thing. I just kept calling and finally they got tired of their supervisor hearing me complain they released my refund and gave me intetest.

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@worried_inIndiana: Its definitely a waiting game. I was pulled the end of January and had to send documentation for eic the middle of February. The only way I knew something had changed was by viewing my transcripts and my “as of” date had changed a week before I got my refund date and that was the middle of June. They are going in sequence with these returns unless you have an advocate to speed things along and I gave up on my advocate after not hearing anything for two months. To me, the key to having any idea what was going on was my transcripts. When that “as of” date changed I knew things were moving.

59. Stillwaitinghere

@worried_inIndiana: I hope you get an answer bc I have a similar experience receipt they told me tip do nothing. I didn’t have to send anything in. But I’m here just waiting no knowing anything.

60. worried_inIndiana

Quick question for anyone who can help. My return was pulled for review on March 26th, and I still have no refund yet. I sent all required documents that the irs was requesting for EIC and received a letter in June that they would have a decision made by Sept. 29th, that day came and went and spoke with IRS agent and they said that they were just now working on March returns that were under review? Received another letter few days later saying review would be over on Oct. 22, so called yesterday and still have not finished my review and that they just started working on March 26th returns. My question is has anybody had this same issue? and if so have you received your refund yet or given a date? The agent told me not rely on the WMR tool because they were not sure if that updated correctly and just rely on a letter stating if they approve or deny your return. She did tell me it looks like they have everything they need to process the return its just beyond frustrating I mean its almost time to start filing next year taxes!!!! I told the agent that and she says you are correct and if you have not hear from us by then don’t file 2018 taxes until 2017 is closed. Which scares me even more that they won’t be finished. I am over all of this

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@Shelly: Have you been able to see your transcripts online or by ordering them to see what codes are on them?